PDA

View Full Version : Make A Move For Clemens For The Stretch Run?

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Now before you think this is a far-fetched deal, hear me out.

Say we get to the end of August and the Astros are pretty much out of the race for the NL Central and wildcard spots. The Astros would have no purpose to keep Clemens since he only came back to win a championship. What if the Astros put Clemens on waivers? Wouldn't the Reds have first shot of putting a claim in among the playoff teams out there? If that is the case, why not put a claim and see if the Reds could acquire Clemen's services for the month of September?

Alot would depend on how the Astros do in August. But their only move was to acquire Aubrey Huff from Tampa Bay, and that doesn't come close to addressing their offensive problems. But if the opportunity to nab Clemens for the month of September exists, why not go for it?

cumberlandreds
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Clemons would have to agree to come to Cincy. I think he would retire before he would do that,IMO.

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Clemons would have to agree to come to Cincy. I think he would retire before he would do that,IMO.

For one or two months, I think he would hang around to collect the salary.

LincolnparkRed
08-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Biggest problem is other than salary, is what you would give Houston. Also I would think he could get himself traded to NY or BOS if he thought HOU was really a sinking ship.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Clemens would never pass through waivers.

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Biggest problem is other than salary, is what you would give Houston. Also I would think he could get himself traded to NY or BOS if he thought HOU was really a sinking ship.

But the Reds would have control by putting a claim before Boston and New York. So if you're Clemens, do you want to pitch for the Reds and possibly get them to the playoffs? Do you finish the season with Houston? Or do you just retire and forfeit that September salary?

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Clemens would never pass through waivers.

No kidding. But the Reds would have first shot of claiming him on waivers. That blocks any chance of the Yankees, Red Sox or Angels acquiring him.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
But the Reds would have control by putting a claim before Boston and New York. So if you're Clemens, do you want to pitch for the Reds and possibly get them to the playoffs? Do you finish the season with Houston? Or do you just retire and forfeit that September salary?why wouldn't LA, SD, or other clubs put in a claim?

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
why wouldn't LA, SD, or other clubs put in a claim?

I'll look and see if I can see the order for waiver claims. If anyone can find it before I post it, please do.

Krusty
08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
The way I see it, the Tigers and Dodgers would be ahead of the Reds as for making a claim. The Tigers really don't need another starting pitcher, and there is a question whether the Dodgers will be in contention for even a wildcard spot come the end of April.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 02:17 PM
The Tigers really don't need another starting pitcherand you think they wouldn't block his going to a potential playoff opponent?

Red Leader
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
No way Clemens makes it through waivers, regardless of any outcome. I believe the Dodgers, and Mets are higher on the waiver wire list than the Reds and both of them would put claims in. In the AL, the Tigers, Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, would put a claim in. There is simply no way that Clemens would pass through waivers.

GAC
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Heavens No!

IslandRed
08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I'll look and see if I can see the order for waiver claims. If anyone can find it before I post it, please do.

I saw somewhere that from August 1 onward, the waiver claim order is based on inverse records as of July 31, meaning that we'd be behind everyone but the Cardinals and Mets in the NL... OK, we're tied with the Padres, I don't know how ties are broken.

It used to be that you had to be waived out of the league first -- meaning every NL team would get a crack at Clemens before AL teams did -- but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Two things keep a player from being claimed on waivers
1) bad contract
2) insignificant player

Clemens does not qualify on either count.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I think he'd retire before he went anywhere other then Texas, he's basically using baseball as a way to spend every 5th day, he doesn't seem to be in it for winning.

TeamBoone
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I wish he would retire. I can't stand him and his act is getting old.

If he truly loved baseball he'd have signed, been in spring training, and started the season in April. He likes the big paycheck... oh, and that cushy deal in Houston is why he never had any intention of signing with anyone else. He'd never have that sweet gig with any other team.

Mr. Bigger-than-the-game Clemons... keep him!