PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips plays 2B (threads merged)

danwl
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
I'd like to get EdE in the lineup more. I don't think Castro/Clayton are a particularly good SS combo, and I am skeptical that RA has the wheels anymore.

Having said that, I don't get the infatuation of moving Phillips to SS. Given the near-constant suggestions that the Reds field a lineup with Phillips at SS, and further, the virtual assumption that he WILL man SS next year after spring training, I would have figured that he has some history of actually playing SS at this level.

Not so much. I don't recall him playing SS for the Reds yet (totally possible that I missed it). In his three (partial) seasons with Cleveland, guess how much he played SS.

From 2002 - 2005, BP played just three more major league innings at shortstop than I did. What's more, it looks like he booted one of the two balls hit to him (in fairness, it also looks like may have turned the other into a double play).

I haven't been able to access fielding statistics for his minor league years. The 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 thebaseballcube.com Buffalo Bisons rosters list him as a 2B only. Not to say he didn't play some SS, but they don't even list him as 2B-SS. In Ottowa (AAA) - 2B, Harrisburg (AA) - 2B, Jupiter (A+) - 2B, Cape Fear (A) - 2B, and with the Gulf Coast Expos (Rookie) - you guessed it, 2B. Maybe his designation as 2B is something specific to thebaseballcube.com; I don't know of a better source.

But what is it that makes us think that BP can play short? Did Narron or Phillips make it so by saying it when he came over? Maybe we should be playing him at 2B.

reds44
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
He played over 100 games at SS last year in AAA.

westofyou
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
106 games at SS last year in AAA, 65 the year before

Z-Fly
08-01-2006, 07:35 PM
The defensive part of playing SS probabaly doesn't change much from AAA to the ML. So I think he would be great at playing SS for the reds. Should I go so far to say... Gold Glover?

Phhhl
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Then, I just have to wonder... why the reluctance to go ahead and let him play a few games there now? At least. Get Edwin a few more starts while Rich goes to second. If Phillips shows he can handle it after easing him into the position and the offense starts to click again, got to it more.

If Phillips hadn't hit the cover off the ball when he first came over, Narron probably would be shuffling him all over the field and talking about how he has to earn a spot on the team by being versatile.

IslandRed
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
But what is it that makes us think that BP can play short?

Phillips isn't exactly an unknown quantity; he started showing up on top-prospect lists five years ago or more. He came up as a shortstop and was well-regarded defensively. Cleveland tried him out at second base because he was blocked at the major-league level by Vizquel and then by Peralta, not because they didn't think he could handle the position defensively.

Then, I just have to wonder... why the reluctance to go ahead and let him play a few games there now?

My guess is that they don't want to mess with a good thing by dumping a big new responsibility on him right now, and have it affect his hitting. Neither Aurilia nor Freel is any great shakes defensively at second, so the justification for the move is offense, getting Clayton's bat out of the lineup and a better one in; if Phillips' offense suffers, then the moves cancel out or, worse, hurt the team.

OldRedBuck
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
You don't mess with something that is working...period.

Despite this boards opinion, Clayton is the perfect fit for this team as a SS. He is a hundred times better than Lopez...for this year.

Right now, Kriv is playing the best pitching/defensive group he can on a daily basis....That means EE sits and Clayton is your SS.

Get used to it...because it works.

deltachi8
08-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Them there horseless carriges worked pretty well.

I dig the eight track...man, music right in my car with no record player!

My ice box keeps my food plenty cold, so what if i need to buy ice every few days...I mean it works, and I'm use to it.

Since when is it wrong to want to do something better?

reds44
08-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Despite this boards opinion, Clayton is the perfect fit for this team as a SS. He is a hundred times better than Lopez...for this year.

Right now, Kriv is playing the best pitching/defensive group he can on a daily basis....That means EE sits and Clayton is your SS.

Do you still think Royce Clayton at SS works?

Always Red
08-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Them there horseless carriges worked pretty well.

I dig the eight track...man, music right in my car with no record player!

My ice box keeps my food plenty cold, so what if i need to buy ice every few days...I mean it works, and I'm use to it.

Since when is it wrong to want to do something better?

LOL!

Change is good...if it's progress!

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 11:53 PM
You don't know if it's progress till you try it

flyer85
08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Do you still think Royce Clayton at SS works?I don't but I somehow think Wayne and Jerry don't share my opinion.

Just saw Felipe hit a 410 foot triple. Can the Reds have a mulligan?

Always Red
08-01-2006, 11:58 PM
true enough; do you flip BP to SS right now, in the middle of the season?

That's a lot of pressure on a kid who is just hitting his stride this year as a big leaguer.

Seems right to me. Open 2B for RA,a nd then can go with EE @ 3B. This would be an excellent offensive infield. Defense? Would remain to be seen if EE can stabilize and if BP can adjust quickly- all during a pennant race.

For me- I think it's just great to be this into the Reds, finally, during August!

flyer85
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Like I said at the time, my great disappointment from the trade was not that they overpaid (they did) but that they acquired Clayton and thought he would be an everyday SS. It had me calling into question if the Reds FO and management had a clue what they were doing.

Heath
08-02-2006, 12:02 AM
As the Good Lord as my witness and reading threads and highlights, it is time for Brandon Phillips to start at short.

This means (and I can't believe I am going to say this) RA has to play 2nd.

This gets EE in the lineup at third.

It keeps Deno on the bench....for now.

Now back to the regularly scheduled headbanging, already in progress.

IslandRed
08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Like I said at the time, my great disappointment from the trade was not that they overpaid (they did) but that they acquired Clayton and thought he would be an everyday SS. It had me calling into question if the Reds FO and management had a clue what they were doing.

My understanding was that Clayton was basically a free throw-in on the deal and they figured, what the heck, he wouldn't be quite as bad as Juan Castro. And, ouch, I think he's even worse.

princeton
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't mind BP at shortstop, even though the horse/midstream thing jumps to mind

problem is, there's no second baseman, either. Oh I know all of the suspects, scenarios, bats-into-lineups. But there's no second baseman, either.

I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a second baseman added this week, and figured that Belliard was offered to the Reds first. It would have worked for me.

Chip R
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't mind BP at shortstop, even though the horse/midstream thing jumps to mind

problem is, there's no second baseman, either. Oh I know all of the suspects, scenarios, bats-into-lineups. But there's no second baseman, either.

I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a second baseman added this week, and figured that Belliard was offered to the Reds first. It would have worked for me.

I'm sure we could get Aaron Boone back. He's had some experience playing 2nd. ;)

Seriously, if we really, truly need a 2nd baseman I'm sure a few will make it through waivers.

Always Red
08-02-2006, 12:38 PM
a few available names come to mind- Womack, D'Angelo...:D

oneupper
08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Moving BP to SS would be "BOLD" move. Exactly the kind that teams on the fringe have to risk if they want to make the playoffs (in reality its not even THAT bold).

If acompanied by a DFA of Clayton (the logical second part of the move), it wouldn't be much of a downgrade defensively (if at all), but offensively it takes ABs away from RC and gives them to the likes of Deno, Freel, EE and Aurilia. Thats a nice upgrade.

You could still keep Castro for late inning defense (at wherever).

flyer85
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Moving BP to SS would be "BOLD" move. Exactly the kind that teams on the fringe have to risk if they want to make the playoffs (in reality its not even THAT bold).like the Twins did when they got rid of Batista, Castro and WHite(to the Dl/Bench) and turned it over to AAA players Kubel and Bartlett and a utility guy named Punto.

Redleg75
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Clayton has no range and an inaccurate arm. See last night double play and terrible relay home that should have nailed the runner by 10 feet. He's lacks the skills at this point of his carrer to be playing short.

ThornWithin81
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
First off, :bang:.

You don't move a player who's succeeded at second base all year to shortstop on a whim. I don't care what he's done in the past, he's playing second base very well right now. Don't mess with a good thing.

As for Clayton having no range and an inaccurate arm, did you even watch the two good plays made by Royce following the errant throw that everyone wants to crucify him for. I've been turned into a Clayton Defender by the high number of people on this board who will ignore 10 good plays to point out one bad one, and base their argument on that logic.

If you want a better defensive Shortstop, you substitute Royce with Castro, because Castro is a great defensive player. You don't move Brandon Phillips to short in August.

*Deep breath*.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
How many of these topics are going to be made? Within the past couple weeks, there have been like 10!

Yes, we know Phillips should be moved to shortstop! We know Phillips should be moved to Shortstop....but it's not going to happen until Spring Training this next year because they need to find a solid starter at 2B to replace him.

For right now, he's our Second Baseman.....

dabvu2498
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
You don't move a player who's succeeded at second base all year to shortstop on a whim.
Like the Dodgers, who have already move Julio Lugo to 2B and will move him to 3B or LF when Jeff Kent comes off the DL... that's not a whim... that's a plan to put your best 9 on the field.

BRM
08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Our best bet is to continue getting outscored because the best 8 players aren't on the field.

flyer85
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Like the Dodgers, who have already move Julio Lugo to 2B and will move him to 3B or LF when Jeff Kent comes off the DL... that's not a whim... that's a plan to put your best 9 on the field.and Lugo hasn't played more than the occassional game at 2b since 2000 and has never played 3b in his major league career.

danwl
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM

shows what I know. :bang: Really, hundreds of games at the AAA level are good enough reason for me to think about it. I guess he is listed as a 2B by thebaseballcube.com because that's where his mlb reps are. Thanks for being gentle.

EddieMilner
08-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Moving BP to SS would be "BOLD" move. Exactly the kind that teams on the fringe have to risk if they want to make the playoffs (in reality its not even THAT bold).

If acompanied by a DFA of Clayton (the logical second part of the move), it wouldn't be much of a downgrade defensively (if at all), but offensively it takes ABs away from RC and gives them to the likes of Deno, Freel, EE and Aurilia. Thats a nice upgrade.

You could still keep Castro for late inning defense (at wherever).

2 points:
1. I think most posters on this board think that a mid season switch from 2B to SS is a lot easier said than done. That being said:
2. a. BP > RC offensively
b. Then SS now > SS before offensively
c. BP = RC defensively (Big assumption with a mid season switch)
d. BP > RF @ 2B defensively
e. RF > RA @ 2B defensively
f. Then 2B now < 2B before defensively
g. BP = RF = RA offensively (roughly).

In this scenario you've taken SS and made it better offensively and the same (to slightly worse due to a mid season position switch, that is more difficult than members on this board realize) defense. At 2B you've kept the same offense and downgraded the defense in the infield.

wolfboy
08-02-2006, 04:43 PM
2 points:
1. I think most posters on this board think that a mid season switch from 2B to SS is a lot easier said than done. That being said:
2. a. BP > RC offensively
b. Then SS now > SS before offensively
c. BP = RC defensively (Big assumption with a mid season switch)
d. BP > RF @ 2B defensively
e. RF > RA @ 2B defensively
f. Then 2B now < 2B before defensively
g. BP = RF = RA offensively (roughly).

In this scenario you've taken SS and made it better offensively and the same (to slightly worse due to a mid season position switch, that is more difficult than members on this board realize) defense. At 2B you've kept the same offense and downgraded the defense in the infield.

That switch really shouldn't be catastrophic. The guy has had over 100 games at the position. Could it really be any worse than Clayton playing there?

The Yankees are talking about moving Sheffield from RF to 1B midseason. He has never played a game at 1B. Never. They are already putting him through drills at the position.

Why are they doing this? Because it will make the team a heck of a lot better offensively. Hopefully, the offensive benefit will outweigh the defensive liability.

The same would be true for moving Phillips to SS and Clayton out of the lineup. Great offensive benefit, with a probable defensive upgrade. In a worse case scenario, Phillips makes a few of the mistakes that Clayton is already making. Why not take the chance?

Redsland
08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I think most posters on this board think that a mid season switch from 2B to SS is a lot easier said than done.
Mid season?

Heck, I saw Juan Castro switch in mid-game. And back again. Several times.

Highlifeman21
08-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Have you watched Clayton play SS for us? I'd almost rather have Lopez back defensively.

Phillips should get great consideration for Gold Glove at 2B this year, but that's not to say he should stay there long term for the Reds. He's a dish best served at SS.

Kriv might have given us a better pitcher/defensive group, but Narron sure as hell isn't playing our best defensive group, nor is he even remotely close to playing our 8 best everyday.

EE's bat outweighs Clayton's bat, so put EE back in at 3B, and put Aurilia at SS. That helps us offensively, but that left side of the IF scares me, with no range Aurilia, and throwing error prone EE. So, if you want your optimal defense, while trying to get some offense out of the left side, the clear answer is you continue to bat Aurilia 4th and play him at 3B, and you put in Juan Castro at SS, who is much better defensively than Royce Clayton or Rich Aurilia at SS. Royce Clayton has shown to be an out making machine over his career, and in the small sample size in the Queen City hasn't changed that trend. Royce Clayton has also lost range at SS. Granted, I think he's much better than Lopez, but that's not saying much at all.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Our best bet is to continue getting outscored because the best 8 players aren't on the field.

Pitching has a lot to do with that.

Matt700wlw
08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Brandon Phillips has played 1 major league game at ss...

It's probably better to wait until the offseason

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Pitching has a lot to do with that.

Can't argue with that. The bullpen is better than it was a month ago but that doesn't mean they don't need the offense to pick it up.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:05 PM

That's true. However, like others have pointed out, he played over 100 games there last season in AAA.

oneupper
08-02-2006, 05:07 PM

See other thread...he played 106 games there in AAA last year.

This is EXACTLY the type of move a fringe contender like the Reds HAS to make to try to remain in the race (if that is, in effect, what they want).

The offseason would be too late.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:09 PM

This is EXACTLY the type of move a fringe contender like the Reds HAS to make to try to remain in the race (if that is, in effect, what they want).

Aren't the Dodgers planning to move Lugo around the infield upon Kent's return?

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Can't argue with that. The bullpen is better than it was a month ago but that doesn't mean they don't need the offense to pick it up.

This team will always hit. We just need to make sure we don't go through 4 pitchers in an inning, or give up 4-5 runs in an inning.

It seems to be a one inning type of thing for the Reds this season....1 inning = 5 runs....scoreless the rest. Of course, that's from a defensive standpoint....

From an offensive standpoint, recently, it seems the Reds always get the lead, then their pitchers do the 'one-inning' thing and make it a comeback ball game.

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Yep, the sooner the move is made, the better.

I've been screaming this for months, but this is what the aligment on the field should look like ...

C: Mixed bag, though I think by now it's obvious that Ross should be starting at least two outta three games
1B: Hatteberg/Aurilia platoon ... Hatteberg starting ~75 percent of games, Aurilia starting ~25 percent of games
2B: Freel/Aurilia platoon ... both Freel and Aurilia starting ~50 percent of games each
3B: Encarnacion
SS: Phillips
LF: Dunn
CF: Denorfia/Freel platoon ... Denorfia starting ~75 percent of games, Freel starting ~25 percent of games
RF: Griffey

Follow that laundry list, and both the offense and defense is exponentially improved.

Those who are worried about lack of playing time for guys such as Hatteberg and Aurilia, note above that they'd each still be playing three out of four games. That's by far enough playing time to also ensure that Hatteberg starts against every right-handed pitcher and Aurilia starts somewhere (either 1B or 2B) against every left-handed pitcher.

Likewise, both Denorfia and Freel would also be playing in roughly three out of every four games. Not bad at all, if you ask me.

FWIW, I've also said all along that I have nothing against Rich Aurilia; I just think he's being horribly misused by Narron. Like with the prospect of Hatteberg playing every day next season if he declines, the idea that Narron benches the same player [Encarnacion] every day for Aurilia is a Narron problem, not an Aurilia problem.

Narron can ensure that Encarnacion plays every day while also ensuring that Aurilia gets plenty of playing time. Unfortunately, he just isn't doing it.

KronoRed
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
SS is SS..in AAA or the Majors..it's a spot on the field, he's not going to go into a meltdown moving 1 spot over that he's used to.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Yep, the sooner the move is made, the better.

I've been screaming this for months, but this is what the aligment on the field should look like ...

C: Mixed bag, though I think by now it's obvious that Ross should be starting at least two outta three games
1B: Hatteberg/Aurilia platoon ... Hatteberg starting ~75 percent of games, Aurilia starting ~25 percent of games
2B: Freel/Aurilia platoon ... both Freel and Aurilia starting ~50 percent of games each
3B: Encarnacion
SS: Phillips
LF: Dunn
CF: Denorfia/Freel platoon ... Denorfia starting ~75 percent of games, Freel starting ~25 percent of games
RF: Griffey

Follow that laundry list, and both the offense and defense is exponentially improved.

Aurilia at 2B is a little scary but overall I like it.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:19 PM
SS is SS..in AAA or the Majors..it's a spot on the field, he's not going to go into a meltdown moving 1 spot over that he's used to.

It's possible he relishes the opportunity or views it as a promotion and goes on a tear.

Cedric
08-02-2006, 05:19 PM
It's possible he relishes the opportunity or views it as a promotion and goes on a tear.

Also possible it causes him to struggle a little at the plate.

While not likely it's at least something that has to be considered.

I'd still not be opposed to it as long as it get's Clayton off the roster.

REDSEER
08-02-2006, 05:21 PM
At this point in the season, I would rather see BP stay at 2B and have Aurilia at SS where he's played almost his whole career.....

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Aurilia at 2B is a little scary but overall I like it.

Not exactly ideal, I know, but it beats putting him at SS. It's also a reason why I'd mix in Freel at 2B half the time to cut down on the scariness factor. I think the offensive punch with those lineups could be devasting, though, and I dream about the day we see Denorfia running down balls in center field.

There's two other key components I neglected to mention on why I'd favor that arrangement, 1) it gets the youth [Encarnacion and Denorfia] in there with ample playing time, and 2) the Clayton/Castro combination stays out of the batter's box and predominantly off the field entirely.

EddieMilner
08-02-2006, 05:23 PM
That switch really shouldn't be catastrophic. The guy has had over 100 games at the position. Could it really be any worse than Clayton playing there?

The Yankees are talking about moving Sheffield from RF to 1B midseason. He has never played a game at 1B. Never. They are already putting him through drills at the position.

Why are they doing this? Because it will make the team a heck of a lot better offensively. Hopefully, the offensive benefit will outweigh the defensive liability.

The same would be true for moving Phillips to SS and Clayton out of the lineup. Great offensive benefit, with a probable defensive upgrade. In a worse case scenario, Phillips makes a few of the mistakes that Clayton is already making. Why not take the chance?

are you really comparing a move from RF to 1B in midseason to a 2B to SS move in midseason? They are slightly different.
Also, Sheffield is a veteran that isn't going to get rattled from a new position. And finally they have to move him, they have two RFs that make 10 mil +.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:23 PM
At this point in the season, I would rather see BP stay at 2B and have Aurilia at SS where he's played almost his whole career.....

You'd be downgrading the defense even further with Aurilia at SS. That would be a HUGE offensive upgrade though.

EddieMilner
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Mid season?

Heck, I saw Juan Castro switch in mid-game. And back again. Several times.

Juan Castro is a veteran, not a young guy that is (finally) getting into the groove in the majors. BP should stay at 2B until the off season. I am all for making him the SS of the future.

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 05:26 PM
are you really comparing a move from RF to 1B in midseason to a 2B to SS move in midseason? They are slightly different.

Rich Aurilia has played four infield positions this season. Heck, he's gone across the diamond from 2B to 1B to 3B with some SS mixed in. I wonder what makes it so special that Aurilia can play four infield positions in one season, but Phillips can only play one.

BRM
08-02-2006, 05:26 PM
There's two other key components I neglected to mention on why I'd favor that arrangement, 1) it gets the youth [Encarnacion and Denorfia] in there with ample playing time, and 2) the Clayton/Castro combination stays out of the batter's box and predominantly off the field entirely.

Two big positives right there. It's too good to actually happen though. Maybe if the Reds start sliding back a little, Narron/Krivsky will get more inclined to make radical changes in order to right the ship. As long as the Reds are at or near the top, no major lineup changes will happen.

oneupper
08-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Two big positives right there. It's too good to actually happen though. Maybe if the Reds start sliding back a little, Narron/Krivsky will get more inclined to make radical changes in order to right the ship. As long as the Reds are at or near the top, no major lineup changes will happen.

Sounds a lot like Narron's waiting till his starter blows up completely before he goes to the pen.

I could go into the Rose move to 3B...but lets not go there.

EddieMilner
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Rich Aurilia has played four infield positions this season. Heck, he's gone across the diamond from 2B to 1B to 3B with some SS mixed in. I wonder what makes it so special that Aurilia can play four infield positions in one season, but Phillips can only play one.

Rich Aurilia is also a veteran. It isn't a head game for him anymore. Phillips is in the grove, and doing well in the majors for the first time in his career. Don't screw with it at this juncture of the season. Let me continue to play great defense and hit well at 2B. Switch him in the off season.

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Rich Aurilia is also a veteran. It isn't a head game for him anymore. Phillips is in the grove, and doing well in the majors for the first time in his career. Don't screw with it at this juncture of the season. Let me continue to play great defense and hit well at 2B. Switch him in the off season.

Well then, that's the infamous veteran leadership trump card.

I guess it is easier to go ahead and use a forklift to pick up a statue and move it around the infield at will. We wouldn't want to put too much strain on an athletic Phillips to slide over and play the position he primarily played in the minor leagues, including over 100 games last season.

EddieMilner
08-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Well then, that's the infamous veteran leadership trump card.

I guess it is easier to go ahead and use a forklift to pick up a statue and move it around the infield at will. We wouldn't want to put too much strain on an athletic Phillips to slide over and play the position he primarily played in the minor leagues, including over 100 games last season.

You are probably right. A young baseball player that has been a head case in the past (the reason the Indians gave up on him) is definitely a player you want to change positions with during his first productive season. When WK gets fired this year for taking this team (or almost getting them there) to the playoffs, you definitely have my vote for getting the job.

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Nevermind.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
When WK gets fired this year for taking this team (or almost getting them there) to the playoffs, you definitely have my vote for getting the job.

I tend to agree with your argument, but there's no need for the last sentance swipe.

James B.
08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't see why people say that Brandon can't play short right now. It's his regular position. That is probably where he would feel more comfortable. If he was learning a new position in the middle of the season then I could understand.

wolfboy
08-02-2006, 08:06 PM
You are probably right. A young baseball player that has been a head case in the past (the reason the Indians gave up on him) is definitely a player you want to change positions with during his first productive season. When WK gets fired this year for taking this team (or almost getting them there) to the playoffs, you definitely have my vote for getting the job.

If at first you don't succeed, then take a cheap swipe.

Highlifeman21
08-06-2006, 08:07 AM

The Indians also gave up on him b/c he couldn't hit his weight in the minor leagues as well, not to mention the fact they brought him up WAY too soon.

Phillips has been far from a head case with us and dare I say a good addition as a team player.

To think that he couldn't handle an in season switch to his natural position is undermining Brandon Phillips and what he brings to this ballclub.

Redhook
08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Phillips has been far from a head case with us and dare I say a good addition as a team player.

To think that he couldn't handle an in season switch to his natural position is undermining Brandon Phillips and what he brings to this ballclub.

Exactly. SS is the premier position on the field, I think Phillips would jump all over the opportunity to move there if asked.