PDA

View Full Version : Could the Red Sox be desperate enough to want LaRue?

redbuck
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
With Veritek on the shelf for at least a few weeks (knee surgery) the Sox are in some serious trouble behind the plate. Mirabelli is now the starter, which isn't too bad, but the guy they just called up sounds awful. From espn.com:

"Mirabelli started Tuesday and Ken Huckaby was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to take Varitek's roster spot. Huckaby was hitting .207 with two homers and 16 RBI in 68 games with Pawtucket."

OK, so the kid from AAA with the terrible stats still has better stats than LaRue. LOL. But maybe we can trick the Red Sox into thinking they need a veteran that talks to himself before striking out. And we know he would breeze through waivers since he is paid about 10x his worth.

goreds2
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I have always been a LaRue fan. I would think the BOSOX would take a look at him.

IslandRed
08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
As I understand the waiver rules, because the Sox were leading the division as of yesterday, the Yankees are in front of them in the waiver claim order. They might try to block every breathing catcher on the wire.

Which makes one wonder if Krivsky would say "He's yours. Thanks for taking next year's salary off my hands, guys."

Newport Red
08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I have always been a LaRue fan. I would think the BOSOX would take a look at him.

I don't know. With Abreu going to the Yankees though, thet may feel the need to make a move.

Col_ IN Reds fan
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
If someone would claim LaRue , the Reds let the claiming team have him.

blumj
08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
OK, so the kid from AAA with the terrible stats still has better stats than LaRue. LOL. But maybe we can trick the Red Sox into thinking they need a veteran that talks to himself before striking out. And we know he would breeze through waivers since he is paid about 10x his worth.
Huckaby is a veteran, he's the guy who collided with Derek Jeter a few years back and knocked him onto the DL for a while. So, you guys tell me, why didn't the Red Sox call up the other catcher they have in AAA, the one who's hitting .242/.344/.492 with 7 HRs in July, Corky Miller?

Whoa, wow you guys must want to get rid of Larue pretty badly. There are like 6 threads mentioning Varitek's injury on the board! How bad is that contract, anyway?

jnwohio
08-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Whoa, wow you guys must want to get rid of Larue pretty badly. There are like 6 threads mentioning Varitek's injury on the board! How bad is that contract, anyway?

It was $9 million and change over two years (this and next) heavily backloaded into the 2nd year. My recollection is at least $5 million for next year and probably something more like $5.25.

Earlier in the year it was rumored the Reds were offering to pay half of this year for anybody to take him but nobody would bite because of the backload. My guess is that any one who puts in a claim on the waiver wire is going to get him for the waiver price. If you were the Yankees, it would just be the ultimate block I suppose.

Falls City Beer
08-02-2006, 12:53 AM
I'd rather not add dumping Larue for nothing to the number of stupid moves made at the deadline.

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 01:15 AM
not gonna happen. ken huckabay is a solid vet catcher.

larue costs too much for what he produces. nobody wants that stupid contract.

nobody.

vic715
08-02-2006, 03:39 AM
At this point You've got to keep Larue. He can't hit but he's still the best defensive catcher on this team.If we're lucky enough to be in this thing down the stretch then this team will need all the depth it can get.

RedLegSuperStar
08-02-2006, 06:46 AM
I think the Yanks would block the Redsox trying to obtain a catcher. Even if the catcher made 5+ Mill next season.

blumj
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I think the Yanks would block the Redsox trying to obtain a catcher. Even if the catcher made 5+ Mill next season.
They can't, if the Red Sox are willing to make a claim. The Yankees moved into 1st place after last night's games. Besides, how many catchers can they risk getting stuck with, are they going to claim Lieberthal, Molina, and Lopez, too? I don't think they really want to risk winding up spending $20+ million dollars for catchers they can't possibly carry on their roster, just to prevent the Red Sox from getting someone who, in some cases, might hit just a little better than Doug Mirabelli.

bounty37h
08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
At this point You've got to keep Larue. He can't hit but he's still the best defensive catcher on this team.If we're lucky enough to be in this thing down the stretch then this team will need all the depth it can get.

I dont get to see many Reds games this year, I just read or catch highlights after the fact. That said, if Larue is our best defensive catcher, no wonder our pitching staff has had so many troubles!!!!

flyer85
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I think the Yanks would block the Redsox trying to obtain a catcher. Even if the catcher made 5+ Mill next season.then they could have him and the contract. It has really reached the point where Larue is worthless to the Reds because a) he is way too expensive and b) he is unlikely to get enough ABs to turn it around.

IslandRed
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
They can't, if the Red Sox are willing to make a claim. The Yankees moved into 1st place after last night's games. Besides, how many catchers can they risk getting stuck with, are they going to claim Lieberthal, Molina, and Lopez, too? I don't think they really want to risk winding up spending $20+ million dollars for catchers they can't possibly carry on their roster, just to prevent the Red Sox from getting someone who, in some cases, might hit just a little better than Doug Mirabelli.

I guess we'll see.... For what it's worth, I don't believe the waiver claim order changes on a daily basis. From what I'd read somewhere, the order is fixed based on the previous season's record up until July 31, and then the July 31 standings determines the order from August 1 through season's end. I'll see if I can find anything to verify or contradict it.

dunner13
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
If any team was dumb enough to claim larue we would have to let them have him. Thats 5 million that could go towards a SP next year, we need Sp much more then we need a defensive catcher who cant hit over .250 on our bench. David Ross is our starter and should be for the next few years.

Newman4
08-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Larue for Clement?

BRM
08-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Courtesy of mlbtraderumors.com.

In the meantime, the Red Sox are scrambling for a catcher who can hit above the Mendoza line. They're going to have to shop for the high-salary, waiver-passing guys. Who's available?

Javy Lopez is the first name that comes to mind. Lopez wants a flat-out release, but the Orioles won't do that. According to the Baltimore Sun, the team would like to pass him through waivers and cover some, but not all, of his salary in a trade. He's only caught 20 games this year. There's always the possibility the Yankees put in a claim on Lopez just to thwart the Sox. Lopez has worked with current Yankees Jaret Wright and Sidney Ponson before.

Bengie Molina was a name thrown out by Jerry Crasnick today as a possible waiver trade candidate. Molina makes $5MM on the season and the Jays are 6.5 games back (3-7 in their last ten games).

Mike Lieberthal is in the last year of a huge contract with the Phillies. Liebs has experience catching Mike Timlin and Curt Schilling. As a 10 and 5 player he can reject any waiver claim.

Jason LaRue is a player the Reds wouldn't mind sending off. He makes $3.9MM this year and $5.2MM in '07. LaRue is not happy as Dave Ross's backup.

Rod Barajas is being pushed aside in Texas, and he'll hit free agency after the season. He was a teammate of Curt Schilling's for several years in Arizona.

UPDATE: According to Will Carroll, Varitek's procedure is minor and should keep him out about three weeks.

reds44
08-02-2006, 03:58 PM
If the Yankees claimed him, I would just let them have him.

Spitball
08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Larue for Clement?

Besides the fact Clement is on the 60 day DL and not likely to pitch again this season, his contract is worse than LaRue's.

flyer85
08-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Of the guys listed above Larue is the most likely to get through waivers. Those guys in the last year of their contract likely won't

terminator
08-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Krivsky's approach has been to try and make the team better for this season's playoff push and to add depth to the roster for this season. Although it saves a few dollars, giving away LaRue does not make this team better.

Besides, this one bad year aside (when he isn't even being given a real chance to perform), he has been a very solid catcher. We should get something of value for him. His contract is not onerous for a bona fide major league catcher.

flyer85
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Krivsky's approach has been to try and make the team better for this season's playoff push and to add depth to the roster for this season. Although it saves a few dollars, giving away LaRue does not make this team better.all depends on who you replace him with. The Reds need another LH bat on the bench. When Javy plays they have none.

Will M
08-02-2006, 04:20 PM
if the Sox claim Larue then we should all he very happy.

Ross is the starting catcher & we are paying Larue $4+ million/year to sit on the bench & whine

we would save a LOT of money which could be used to shore up other postions for 2007

- Will

Blimpie
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Besides the fact Clement is on the 60 day DL and not likely to pitch again this season, his contract is worse than LaRue's.Well, then there's THAT....:D

BRM
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Looks like they are after Javy Lopez.

BOSTON -- The Red Sox have targeted Baltimore's Javy Lopez as their top target to help replace starting catcher Jason Varitek, industry sources indicated yesterday.

The Sox spoke to the Orioles yesterday, who confirmed that they would be willing to move Lopez, on the final year of a multi-year deal. Lopez is scheduled to make $8.5 million this year but has lost playing time to Ramon Hernandez and has asked to be dealt.

LINK (http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20060803_03lopez.1f48aa0.html)

Spitball
08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Looks like they are after Javy Lopez.

LINK (http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20060803_03lopez.1f48aa0.html)

I was just about to post a similar link. I sure hope this happens because the Red Sox already have a pitcher named Javier Lopez, which is Javy's given name. I believe Mark Redman and Mike Redmond formed a similar name battery in Florida, but have two players with the same name ever formed a pitcher/catcher battery?

I can hear Jerry Remy now, "Lopez winds and delivers. Lopez blocks that one from going to the screen. Lopez fires the ball back to Lopez." :eek:

blumj
08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I can hear Jerry Remy now, "Lopez winds and delivers. Lopez blocks that one from going to the screen. Lopez fires the ball back to Lopez." :eek:
You must be thinking of a different pair of Lopezes, Javy Lopez never blocks anything, and Javier Lopez doesn't throw hard enough to reach the screen. ;) Of course, we've heard much the same from Remy and others before, Javy Lopez used to catch Rodrigo Lopez all the time, often with a third Lopez who used to play for the Orioles on the field at the same time. And, yes, it did get confusing.

Spitball
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
You must be thinking of a different pair of Lopezes, Javy Lopez never blocks anything, and Javier Lopez doesn't throw hard enough to reach the screen. ;) Of course, we've heard much the same from Remy and others before, Javy Lopez used to catch Rodrigo Lopez all the time, often with a third Lopez who used to play for the Orioles on the field at the same time. And, yes, it did get confusing.

:laugh: That's funny.

Seems there were two guys in the early 1990's with the same name and maybe even the same birthday. I believe one was a pitcher and the other a catcher, but I'm not sure they ever played on the same team. Anybody remember? Seems one might have been a Cubs' catcher.

Newman4
08-03-2006, 02:32 PM
"In the meantime, the Red Sox are scrambling for a catcher who can hit above the Mendoza line."

Larue's hitting .193:D

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Which makes one wonder if Krivsky would say "He's yours. Thanks for taking next year's salary off my hands, guys."

I know what you're thinking, but I don't want to dump Larue for nothing. He's not a millstone, and we might need him next year.

I'm fine with trading Larue for value, but I don't want the Reds to give him away.

Rojo
08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I'd rather not add dumping Larue for nothing to the number of stupid moves made at the deadline.

No, you add that stupid contract for a catcher on the wrong side of thirty to the list of stupid moves.

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
No, you add that stupid contract for a catcher on the wrong side of thirty to the list of stupid moves.

I can see the arguement for dumping him, but then the Reds are depending on Ross to duplicate his performance next year. That's a risk as well.

The Reds are paper thin in position player depth. I'd rather just carry LaRue through the end of the year and try to get something for him in the offseason (as opposed to giving him away).

There's nothing physically wrong with LaRue, he just hasn't gotten playing time this year.

Jpup
08-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I see no reason to trade Jason LaRue.

Tornon
08-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Kevin Brown may have caught Kevin Brown at some point..

Falls City Beer
08-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Well a couple of things:

1. It's just a two year deal--that's not back-breaking.

2. It seems fair recompense for a guy who's produced well-above average for many seasons and who was doing it for peanuts--a nice payday for past production (I don't think you should make a habit of deals like these, but in some ways, these kinds of deals say to prospective players, "We reward our performers." And Larue has been a very good performer at a very tough position for a very long time.)

It got stupid when they didn't play him at all for 2 months and his value went in the crapper. To me, that was the stupider of the two moves.

redbuck
08-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Getting rid of LaRue would be addition by subtraction. His attitude is PATHETIC, and if you've paid attention to the games you know what I'm talking about. He used to fancy himself as a leader, now he mopes around and is doing his best to be a cancer in the locker room.

And nothing irratates me more than to hear someone say "LaRue is a good defensive catcher." NO HE'S NOT! Any catcher who leads the league in passed balls for two consecutive years is NOT a good defensive catcher. Add in the fact that he's an awful hitter and I would like nothing more than to dump him now so we can use his money to go after a P in the offseason. It won't hurt us at all unless Ross or Javy gets injured. We are paying a third-string catcher $4.5 million per year on average. That's a DanO special and once again Krivsky will clean up his mess.

Rojo
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I can see the arguement for dumping him, but then the Reds are depending on Ross to duplicate his performance next year. That's a risk as well.

So then you find another Ross, or Valentine or any decent catch-and-throw guy. You just don't put a lot of eggs into the catcher basket. A year and a half ago without the contract you might have gotten something for him. Maybe you still do.

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
It got stupid when they didn't play him at all for 2 months and his value went in the crapper.

FCB, I don't remember all the details and timing, but wasn't that the same time when Ross was playing very well and hitting the cover off the ball?

Are you suggesting we should have sat Ross because LaRue to "protect his value" ?

thatcoolguy_22
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
disregard...

RANDY IN INDY
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
FCB, I don't remember all the details and timing, but wasn't that the same time when Ross was playing very well and hitting the cover off the ball?

Are you suggesting we should have sat Ross because LaRue to "protect his value" ?

That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Larue has been awful this season. When he has had the chance to play, he has not produced. I have said this for years, but he is plain awful as a receiver and has way to much movement behind the plate. He takes strikes away from his pitchers at times. They will be lucky to get anything out of Jason over the winter. I'm afraid that his boat has sailed. The best the Reds can hope for is a big hit here and there during the stretch run, but as of now, he looks lost at the dish.

Royals Fan
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Javy Lopez to the Red Sox will be annouced Friday per Rotoworld.

Falls City Beer
08-03-2006, 08:46 PM

No, it worked out with Ross. That's true. But then again, everyone thought Freel was dead in the water in May. Well, that wasn't true; in fact, he's been every bit the player Kearns has been and he's completely outpaced Phillips offensively. I think a true platoon of Ross and Larue would have resulted in an opportunity to deal one or the other at the deadline for genuine value. They didn't. So now they have both, still grumbling. And before you claim that I'm going on hindsight here, check the archives and learn that I was calling for this even in the middle of Ross's hot streak.

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 12:31 AM
No, it worked out with Ross. That's true. But then again, everyone thought Freel was dead in the water in May. Well, that wasn't true; in fact, he's been every bit the player Kearns has been and he's completely outpaced Phillips offensively. I think a true platoon of Ross and Larue would have resulted in an opportunity to deal one or the other at the deadline for genuine value. They didn't. So now they have both, still grumbling. And before you claim that I'm going on hindsight here, check the archives and learn that I was calling for this even in the middle of Ross's hot streak.

I'm not calling you out or anything. I was asking a serrious question. It's that tough question every manager faces. Sit the hot bat (especially when at the time to offense was very streaky) or give the platoon-mate more time so they don't get "cold". A tough call.