PDA

View Full Version : On the bright side of things tonight...

cincrazy
08-01-2006, 10:13 PM
On the bright side of things tonight: Phillips continues to hit well, proving that his recent slump was exactly that, a slump. David Ross continues to absolutely thump the ball at the bottom of the lineup with no protection, and Dunn's hot streak continues as he sent a streaker out to right center. It wasn't a pretty game tonight, but if you look inside deep enough, there were some pretty things, some things that we can look at and be optimistic about for the rest of the season. I'm trying like hell to block out the bad... talking about the bad stuff just depresses me. Maybe I'll make this a routine every time we lose (which hopefully won't be that often the rest of the season).

cincrazy
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Oh, and Majewski pitched a scoreless inning. That was nice to see, and maybe that will get him back on track. And Bray got into some trouble, but in complete fairness to him, if the defense is there behind him, he probably gets out of the inning.

Tom Servo
08-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Ross NEEDS to be moved up in the batting order.

cincrazy
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
For that matter, Ross needs to be given the every day job, no questions asked. He's got a dash of Eddie Taubansee in him, and I love that. I love Jerry Narron, and I'm one of his biggest supporters, but anything outside of not playing Ross AT LEAST 3 out of every 5 games is just ridiculous.

fielder's choice
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Lohse looked good ;)

flyer85
08-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Ross NEEDS to be moved up in the batting order.Narron switched out the guy that had a double, HR and a warning track flyball. I'm still convinced the Hatty regression is going to hit hard the next month.

TeamBoone
08-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Funny you should say that as I was thinking that as I reviewed the starting lineup... perhaps the four slot?

Narron switched out the guy that had a double, HR and a warning track flyball.

He seems to double-switch in the wrong spot a lot, though tonight it was especially evident... the pitcher was coming up third in the next inning anyway.

TOBTTReds
08-01-2006, 11:48 PM

Whoa! Settle down everyone!!!! ;)

Ross is a catcher. He can't bat higher than 7th, Narron is oldschool. Catchers don't bat high in the lineup! You guys are crazy!:evil:

fearofpopvol1
08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
He seems to double-switch in the wrong spot a lot, though tonight it was especially evident... the pitcher was coming up third in the next inning anyway.

Javy got a hit in his place. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Chip R
08-02-2006, 12:31 AM
I am glad that we finally have a shortstop who can make the routine play.

Jr's Boy
08-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Why isn't Dunn batting cleanup?I was always the notion thats where your big boppers go.Maybe Narron knows something we don't.

keeganbrick
08-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Why isn't Dunn batting cleanup?I was always the notion thats where your big boppers go.Maybe Narron knows something we don't.
Because he bats in front of Griffey, meaning Griffey would have to bat 5th. He only bats at the 3 spot.:devil:

cincrazy
08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Moving Griffey to 4th might actually help him out. Freel at leadoff, Hatteberg would make a good 2 hitter, Dunner in the 3 hole, and then Griffey. He would sure have a hell of a lot of RBI opportunities...

RadfordVA
08-02-2006, 03:01 AM
I am glad that we finally have a shortstop who can make the routine play.

Exactly, I love how just because a player is a veteran that automatically makes him a smart player. Its funny I remember when he came up with the Giants he was said to have all the athletic ability in the world just needed to make the routine plays and play smart. Now they say he is a veteran that makes all the routine plays just doesnt have the athletic ability. "they" were wrong at the beginning of his career and are wrong at the end of it. He never had either aspect of the game at anytime in his career.

11larkin11
08-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Javy got a hit in his place. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Wouldnt it have been better to have Ross get a double first, then Javy get a hit behind him where he should have been?

I think that with Dunn batting second, he wants to get more base hit, rather than a HR or K every at bat. Seems that he was thinking "I'm the clean up hitter, Im supposed to swing as hard as I can every time." Now, he thinks "My job is to advance the leadoff hitter, or get on base for the heart of the order." Plus, he hit .354 in July when he was batting in the 2 hole.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Moving Griffey to 4th might actually help him out. Freel at leadoff, Hatteberg would make a good 2 hitter, Dunner in the 3 hole, and then Griffey. He would sure have a hell of a lot of RBI opportunities...

You'd be setting yourself up for failure later in the game. Dunn, Griff and Hatte would see a lefty and then as soon as you were done with them and into the weaker part of the order, righties would be used to neutralize, Aurillia/Edwin, Phillips, Clayton, Larue, etc.

Rich might not be the ideal 4 guy but someone with a right handed stick needs to be in there. Ross? I wouldn't mess with his success and put that pressure on him.

MississippiRed
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Not bad, here's what I told my son last night:

Freel - RF/2B
Hatte - 1B
Encarnacion - 3B
Dunn - LF
Ross - C
Griffey - CF
Phillips - SS
Aurilla - 2B
P

When Hatte sits against a LH, put Phillips in the 2nd spot and Deno in the 8th spot. Use Castro or Freel to sub on the infield.

Clayton has to go. That was a 5-run (non) error last night. It's not like he makes up for it with those routine ground balls he hits to SS.

Griffey has to move down. I couldn't believe it was him (not) running to 1B last night when Looney booted that ball. Almost anyone would have been safe on that play.

BRM
08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Not bad, here's what I told my son last night:

Freel - RF/2B
Hatte - 1B
Encarnacion - 3B
Dunn - LF
Ross - C
Griffey - CF
Phillips - SS
Aurilla - 2B
P

No way does Narron ever drop Aurilia to 8th.

cincrazy
08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Dunn and Hatte hit well against lefties, but your right, having three lefties in a row right there wouldn't be the ideal situation.