PDA

View Full Version : Your pre-season Heisman pick

max venable
08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
After I watched SportsCenter last night and saw Robert Smith pick Troy Smith to win the Heisman, I thought it might be fun to see which Redszoners can correctly pick this year's Heisman Trophy winner. We can revisit this thread in December.

So, anyway, yes, I voted for Troy Smith. I'm a homer. BUT...he really could do it. He's amazing and...look at the offense he has around him. Your pick?

redsfan30
08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Same as you, Max. I think I'd pick Troy Smith even if I wasn't an Ohio State fanatic.

It could very well come down to Brady Quinn and Troy Smith. Don't forget Adrian Peterson, either. He is coming down on the end of his college career and after his freshman season he didn't live up to the high expectations. He'll be looking to go out with a bang.

redsfan30
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
What....no love for Chris Wells in the poll???

:roll:

MWM
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Brady Quinn

rdiersin
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Brady Quinn. He gets to face my alma maders secondary and although Troy Smith also gets to face Purdue's secondary, I just don't see it, personally.

Chip R
08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Ron Powlus.

RBA
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma)

BuckWoody
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I went with Quinn simply because with Ginn and Smith leading the Buckeyes to the national title, the voters will split on them and let Quinn in the back door. :D

Oh, and he is an Ohio boy as well...so he's got that going for him.

dabvu2498
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma)
Ditto.

Puffy
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Brady Quinn, baby!

Blimpie
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Michael Bush is da bomb.

Red Leader
08-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I went with Brady Quinn, which wasn't easy considering my hatred for Notre Dame, but it was still easier than picking Troy Smith or Ted Ginn Jr.

Cedric
08-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I went with Brady Quinn, which wasn't easy considering my hatred for Notre Dame, but it was still easier than picking Troy Smith or Ted Ginn Jr.

Quinn isn't a bad pick because the media sorta likes Notre Dame :)

That said they face a very tough schedule and I doubt they win enough to get him the heisman.

jmcclain19
08-02-2006, 02:57 PM
The media wants Troy Smith oh so badly to be the next Vince Young.

And Robert Smith, a Buckeye, picking Smith to win the Heisman. Can you say HOMER?

I'll say it will go to the best player on the best team, like usual, and because I (disgustedly) think Auburn will steamroll everyone this year I'll say Kenny Irons will win the Heisman after getting near the 2,000 yard rushing mark.

Highlifeman21
08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I went with Quinn simply because with Ginn and Smith leading the Buckeyes to the national title, the voters will split on them and let Quinn in the back door. :D

Oh, and he is an Ohio boy as well...so he's got that going for him.

:eek:

Ginn needs to actually CATCH the ball to be effective. I don't remember the last time a glorified returner won the hardware. Granted, Ginn had a nice bowl game, but Tressel just doesn't let that offense pass enough vertically for Ginn to get much consideration.

Smith isn't Vince Young. Considerably less throwing ability, much worse judgment, but does run well. I could definitely see him getting a top 5 consideration.

If Adrian Peterson returns to form, I have to give him the trophy. I think he's the most talented of the group.

As for Brady Quinn, he's a product of Charlie Weis, and I hate to see guys that are "products of the system" succeed with no real overwhelming talent.

Mark it dude, Adrian Peterson.

jmcclain19
08-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Looks like Peterson is looking forward to a season of 8 and 9 man fronts thanks to his buddy Rhett Bomar getting kicked off the team today

redsfan30
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Looks like Peterson is looking forward to a season of 8 and 9 man fronts thanks to his buddy Rhett Bomar getting kicked off the team today
Beat me to it. That box is going to be so packed Adrain won't believe it. The situation with Bomar sounds scarily similar to one Mr. Maurice Clarett.

KronoRed
08-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm going with an unknown.

Cedric
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
:eek:

Ginn needs to actually CATCH the ball to be effective. I don't remember the last time a glorified returner won the hardware. Granted, Ginn had a nice bowl game, but Tressel just doesn't let that offense pass enough vertically for Ginn to get much consideration.

Smith isn't Vince Young. Considerably less throwing ability, much worse judgment, but does run well. I could definitely see him getting a top 5 consideration.

If Adrian Peterson returns to form, I have to give him the trophy. I think he's the most talented of the group.

As for Brady Quinn, he's a product of Charlie Weis, and I hate to see guys that are "products of the system" succeed with no real overwhelming talent.

You think Troy Smith has less throwing ability than Vince Young? That's a first.

And the Tressel doesn't throw vertically thing sounds like you didn't watch the team last year and might just be going on reputation.

The Buckeyes became a completely vertical passing team last year, won't change this year.

15fan
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't remember the last time a glorified returner won the hardware.

Desmond Howard? Tim Brown?

I'll throw Chuck Woodson out there, too.

Cedric
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Beat me to it. That box is going to be so packed Adrain won't believe it. The situation with Bomar sounds scarily similar to one Mr. Maurice Clarett.

Doesn't sound anything like it to me.

One person was never in trouble for getting paid for not working, the other got paid 18,000 for working 5/hrs a week.

redsfanmia
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I really like this kid Anthony Morelli from Penn State.

max venable
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Desmond Howard? Tim Brown?

I'll throw Chuck Woodson out there, too.

As a Buckeye fan, I despise Michigan as much as anyone, but, as much as I hate to admit it, Desmond had 19 receiving TDs in his Heisman season (and 23 overall).

Caveat Emperor
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Brady Quinn -- anyone who thinks Troy Smith has a chance in hell is either delusional or an OSU alum.

MWM
08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Brady Quinn -- anyone who thinks Troy Smith has a chance in hell is either delusional or an OSU alum.

If Troy Smith plays the entire season like he did the last half of last season, he's got a very good chance. And if Ohio State is in the National Title hunt the whole season, that will help. I don't think he'll win, but it's not far-fetched to think he'll win.

BuckWoody
08-02-2006, 09:01 PM
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/data/Silicon%20Revolution/200511922629_Haterade.gif
;)

max venable
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Not to cast stones...but that's a bone-headed statement. There's a reason why every expert and analyst has Troy Smith in their top five Heisman lists. Don't forget, he has, essentially, his whole offense returning this year.

LoganBuck
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Troy Smith is going to look really good with all the weapons he has, plus play action will be even more effective after Antonio Pittman's second half and the addition of Chris Wells. I see Ohio State being able to score at levels not seen in Columbus since the 1994-1998 years. That said, I doubt he wins the Heisman, unless he REALLY goes off.

Dwayne Jarrett is my pick, he is going to be a lock to be a top 3 draft pick next year, and he still plays in the home of the most miserable defenses, the PAC-10. Without Reggie Bush he is going to be the focal point.

Caveat Emperor
08-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Not to cast stones...but that's a bone-headed statement. There's a reason why every expert and analyst has Troy Smith in their top five Heisman lists. Don't forget, he has, essentially, his whole offense returning this year.

Yeah -- but he doesn't play at Notre Dame and doesn't stand a chance against the "tradition" and "insert superlative here" of the Irish program headed up by the player who is perceived to be the most talented QB in the country.

That, and if Smith posts good numbers it'll be because he's getting the ball to Ginn a lot. If Ginn gets the ball, he's going to split votes with Smith for Heisman. If Ginn doesn't get the ball a lot, neither one of them are going to stand much of a chance.

Plus, I've got too many OSU alum friends to not know a thing or three about "Tressel-Ball"; Smith won't get a chance to post the gaudy numbers that Quinn will.

I stand by my statement -- there is no way, no how that Troy Smith wins the Heisman.

Gainesville Red
08-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Guess who the UF student voted for.

It's funny to see this poll tonight. I saw Leak yesterday and asked him if he'd do me a favor and win it.

He smiled and said, "C'mon man, Adrian Peterson."

Fil3232
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
It looks like I'm the only person who voted for Brohm. I think he's a long shot, but if he gets hot in that offense-happy system, he'll have goofy numbers. Add the fact that he only has to beat WVU to get to a BCS game and I can easily see him getting an invite to New York at least. While he's shown falshes of brilliance in games, he has never been able to dominate consistently. I'm thinking this year will be comparable to Big Ben's junior year at Miami. But because of UL's BCS affiliation, it will garner more media attention.

Highlifeman21
08-04-2006, 11:21 PM
You think Troy Smith has less throwing ability than Vince Young? That's a first.

And the Tressel doesn't throw vertically thing sounds like you didn't watch the team last year and might just be going on reputation.

The Buckeyes became a completely vertical passing team last year, won't change this year.

I've been watching this team since Tressel's beginning, including 3 stellar years where I was an inmate at that institution of higher learning...

Historically, Tressel runs the ball between the tackles, gets a 3 point lead and sits on it, and leans heavily on the defense to preserve the W.

Granted, Troy Smith is the best thing Tressel's had under center (whatever happened to all the hype surrounding Justin Zwick?!) but Troy Smith is still definitely a running quarterback with a less than eventful arm.

Ginn still struggles with catching the ball. And I can't remember the kid's name, but #11 is the only other receiver to compliment Ginn. 2 WR, and a QB who looks to run first instead of staying in the pocket.

I've never thought vertical passing attack with any OSU Tressel team, and I don't think vertical with this team either.

max venable
08-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah -- but he doesn't play at Notre Dame and doesn't stand a chance against the "tradition" and "insert superlative here" of the Irish program headed up by the player who is perceived to be the most talented QB in the country.

That, and if Smith posts good numbers it'll be because he's getting the ball to Ginn a lot. If Ginn gets the ball, he's going to split votes with Smith for Heisman. If Ginn doesn't get the ball a lot, neither one of them are going to stand much of a chance.

Plus, I've got too many OSU alum friends to not know a thing or three about "Tressel-Ball"; Smith won't get a chance to post the gaudy numbers that Quinn will.

I agree with you about the ND "tradition" and the media perception thing. And I can, to some degree, buy in to the Smith/Ginn vote splitting theory. But I don't agree with the "Tressel-ball" thinking. I think Tress adjusts and plays to the strength of his team and he know what he's got on offense this year. Also, you can expect Troy Smith to put up some sick rushing stats, too. It's not just all about a vertical passing attack.

Bottom line, though, is that if Tress's boys win another NC, I won't care if Troy and Teddy split the Heisman votes. If they do, it means the Bucks will have had a VERY good season.

Go Bucks!

TDHND
08-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Brady Quinn!!!

max venable
08-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Granted, Troy Smith is the best thing Tressel's had under center but Troy Smith is still definitely a running quarterback with a less than eventful arm.

Yet, somehow, last season Troy Smith ranked 4th in the entire nation in Passing Efficiency and threw 16 TD passes with only 4 picks. And, oh yeah, this too: he averaged 9.6 yards per attempt (better than Leinart, Vince Young, and Brady Quinn). Not bad for a 'less than eventful arm.' :thumbup:

Highlifeman21
08-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Yet, somehow, last season Troy Smith ranked 4th in the entire nation in Passing Efficiency and threw 16 TD passes with only 4 picks. And, oh yeah, this too: he averaged 9.6 yards per attempt (better than Leinart, Vince Young, and Brady Quinn). Not bad for a 'less than eventful arm.' :thumbup:

9.6 yards per attempt tells me that he wasn't going downfield. What was his yards per completion?

I would venture a guess that he didn't have many 30+ yard completions last year.

Am I anti-Troy Smith? Heck no. I'd love to see the Buckeyes actually spread the offense, chuck it 35 times a game and put some points on the board, but Tressel's historically too conservative for that.

max venable
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
9.6 yards per attempt tells me that he wasn't going downfield.
Well I guess nobody in College Football threw the ball downfield because 9.6 y-p-a was one of the tops in the nation.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 08:35 PM
What....no love for Chris Wells in the poll???

:roll:

No way a frosh wins a Heisman. He would have to put up some serious mind blowing numbers.

I voted for Troy Smith, but like others I am a homer. He's my pre-season pick, but I would still be surprised if he won it. I would love to see it, but still would be surprised.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 08:38 PM
9.6 yards per attempt tells me that he wasn't going downfield. What was his yards per completion?

I would venture a guess that he didn't have many 30+ yard completions last year.

Am I anti-Troy Smith? Heck no. I'd love to see the Buckeyes actually spread the offense, chuck it 35 times a game and put some points on the board, but Tressel's historically too conservative for that.

Ball control. With as good a defense as much success as OSU has had recently, it's hard to argue with T's strategy. Sure, it isn't sexy, but it wins ballgames.

And 9.6 YPA? I'll take that any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

max venable
09-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Cross Michael Bush off the list.

Louisville's Bush Breaks Right Leg in Season Opener (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2572409)

GAC
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
You can strike Bush (Louisville) off that list. He just broke his leg and is out for the season. Sad.

Brady Quinn? Over-rated, and people will see it this year. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
09-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Steve Slaton of West Virginia is going to put up some numbers. Watched him run all over my Marshall Thundering Herd Saturday. Great package of speed and power. The Mountaineers are going to win a lot of games this season. Their schedule is "light" and it just got lighter with Louisville's Bush getting hurt last night. As much as I hate to say it, they could run the table and be right there in the National Championship mix. Slaton is a great back.

Blimpie
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Michael Bush is da bomb.So much for my prognostication from one month ago....

max venable
09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Anybody wanna change their pick yet?

RANDY IN INDY
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I still like Slaton.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
You can strike Bush (Louisville) off that list. He just broke his leg and is out for the season. Sad.

Brady Quinn? Over-rated, and people will see it this year. ;)

I think people have already seen it, Troy Smith is a shoe in unless he makes ted Ginn Jr look too good and he wins it. The guy hasn't even tried to run with the ball yet! Wait until he single handedly takes over a game then its lights out.

Red Leader
09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
It worked. My plan worked. I voted for Brady Quinn in this poll just to curse his sorry butt. I also posted all week (last week) that Michigan had no hope to win that game and it worked! I can't believe it. It worked.

No way Michigan beats Ohio St and "shoe in" Troy Smith, though. ;)

max venable
09-18-2006, 05:47 PM

No way. No sophomore has ever won it. Slaton's not going to be the first.

Blimpie
09-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Dicky Lyons, Jr. (WR-Kentucky) has six receiving TDs in nine catches this year.

Just sayin'

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2006, 06:37 PM
John David Booty is looking incredible right now.

Puffy
09-18-2006, 06:50 PM
John David Booty is looking incredible right now.

He has a cannon - but he still hasn't learned "touch"

Thats gonna be his downfall this year in a big game. Balls bouncing off his receiver and being intercepted. He's good though, I think he'll end up being drafted in the late first round next year.

RANDY IN INDY
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
No way. No sophomore has ever won it. Slaton's not going to be the first.

I really :) don't care if he is a sophomore. The guy is really better than anyone I have watched. He may not win it, but that doesn't change my opinion.

RFS62
09-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Deep breaths, buddy. You'll get through it.

Go Mountaineers!!!

:evil:

Gainesville Red
09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I really :) don't care if he is a sophomore. The guy is really better than anyone I have watched. He may not win it, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Grossman was the best as a sophmore a couple years ago and they gave it to Eric Crouch.

Sucks to be a sophmore. He won't get it. (He has be awesome though.)

max venable
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM

With all due respect, Randy, it doesn't matter what you think. All that matters is what the voters think. And they're thinking Troy Smith as of right now.

The poll question in this thread is "Who will win the Heisman this year?" not "Who would you vote for."

Slaton's a bonafide stud. And he may get a Heisman before he's done. But not this year.

RANDY IN INDY
09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
With all due respect, Randy, it doesn't matter what you think. All that matters is what the voters think. And they're thinking Troy Smith as of right now.

The poll question in this thread is "Who will win the Heisman this year?" not "Who would you vote for."

Slaton's a bonafide stud. And he may get a Heisman before he's done. But not this year.

After I watched SportsCenter last night and saw Robert Smith pick Troy Smith to win the Heisman, I thought it might be fun to see which Redszoners can correctly pick this year's Heisman Trophy winner. We can revisit this thread in December.

So, anyway, yes, I voted for Troy Smith. I'm a homer. BUT...he really could do it. He's amazing and...look at the offense he has around him. Your pick?

Why post a thread asking who I would pick?

max venable
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Poll question: Who will win the Heisman this year?

Your pick for who will win the Heisman is Slaton. That's fine. I'm just saying that he won't.

We'll see at the end of the season.

Randy...I like you. Just bustin' your chops a little. :thumbup:

RANDY IN INDY
09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
You don't know how hard it is for me to give props to anyone from WVU,:barf: but the kid can play. Kinda hope he doesn't win it. I'll never hear the end of it from some of my "kin."

guttle11
09-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I voted for Smith mostly as a homer pick, but with the way he's played thus far, it's his to lose.

15fan
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Brady Quinn, I'd like you to meet Ron Powlus.

So nice to see the ND hype machine get destroyed in front of a national audience. Any team that struggles to beat Georgia Tech 14-10 isn't a #2 team and certainly doesn't have a Heisman candidate.

After getting pasted by Ohio State and Michigan, Chuck Weiss is going to have a hard time convincing the top hs seniors that they should come to South Bend instead of Columbus or *nn *rb*r.

max venable
09-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and Greenie pointed out the Chuck W., through 15 games as head coach of the Irish, has the EXACT same record that Ty W. had through 15 games. But everyone in Irish nation still loves Chuck. He's a football god. :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how good (or bad ND) really is.

BuckWoody
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
ND put a serious beating on Penn State a few weeks ago too. Maybe that's a good sign for this week's Buckeye game. If the Irish ain't all that, the JoPa's probably ain't either.

MWM
09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Is Ron Powlus still dating Beano Cook? I wasn't sure if they broke up or not.

BTW, I played against Ron POwlus in High School.

GAC
09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
You Quinn fans are gonna be sorely disappointed. :evil:

Red Leader
09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
You Quinn fans are gonna be sorely disappointed. :evil:

Really?

I'm thinking that fans of another QB currently hyped up on here are going to be more disappointed because they will be strung along almost all season thinking that their candidate will win, and then BOOM! it'll be over.

That, to me, will be more disappointing for those fans.

:dunno:

Cedric
09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Really?

I'm thinking that fans of another QB currently hyped up on here are going to be more disappointed because they will be strung along almost all season thinking that their candidate will win, and then BOOM! it'll be over.

Iowa is the team that will beat TOSU if anyone does. Not Michigan at the Shoe.

This isn't Cooper time anymore :)

GAC
09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Really?

What are those two QBs stats this year head to head? ND could very easily have been 1-2 to start this year. I look at NDs schedule last year and was not impressed, other then the USC game.

Maybe it's the team assembled around him; but I have not been really impressed with Quinn at all.

Troy Smith has really impressed me with his maturity and decision-making abilities during the game. And his arm accuracy is no fluke IMO. And yeah, the guy is also surrounded by some talent too - and that may be Quinn's problem.

GAC
09-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Iowa is the team that will beat TOSU if anyone does. Not Michigan at the Shoe.

This isn't Cooper time anymore :)

I hope you're right Cedric; but this is different Michigan team with Hart back. Too much was put onto Henne's shoulders last year. And I like that wideout Mario Manningham.

Red Leader
09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
What are those two QBs stats this year head to head? ND could very easily have been 1-2 to start this year. I look at NDs schedule last year and was not impressed, other then the USC game.

Maybe it's the team assembled around him; but I have not been really impressed with Quinn at all.

Troy Smith has really impressed me with his maturity and decision-making abilities during the game. And his arm accuracy is no fluke IMO. And yeah, the guy is also surrounded by some talent too - and that may be Quinn's problem.

I am the furthest thing from a Brady Quinn supporter on this planet.

ND could have easily been 1-2 right now, agreed (and I kind of wish they were). Agree on ND's schedule last year as well.

Everyone started rediculously hyping Brady last year, mostly because of Charlie Weis' system and how it makes Quinn look good. The system is good, but you need the players to make it happen and make Brady a Heisman winner. They don't have the players, IMO. They have some weapons, for sure, but not to the level that Troy Smith and OSU have.

The exact opposite can be said of Troy Smith. He's got the talent around him, but I don't think the system helps him. He's actually a better player than I give him credit for. I just enjoy hating on him, but he is a very good QB, with good accuracy and touch, and seems to make the big play when he's needed to. I'm just not sure, with the lack of flare in the OSU offense, that Smith will get the credit he deserves from the voters (and fans of other teams). OSU does have some weaknesses though, and I'm not totally convinced that either Iowa or Michigan, or both, can't expose them. If OSU goes through the schedule undefeated, than I would think Smith would deserve the Heisman. I'm just not so sure that they will and if they lose one of those games, then I think the Heisman goes to someone else (much like everyone saying Quinn is out of the Heisman race because he lost to Michigan).

15fan
10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I have officially cast my vote for...

Sam Swank.

His right leg is golden.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101706aaa.html

max venable
10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
So...how's your pick looking now, everyone? Sure looks like it's Troy Smith's trophy to lose. Can't see him not winning, really.

Some interesting Heisman tidbits:

Both USC and Notre Dame are tied for 7 Heisman winners. However, in the last 40 years, Notre Dame has only had one winner, Tim Brown in 1987. All of the Trojan Heisman winners have been in the last 40 years, including three in four years between 2002 and 2005 (considered an unprecedented feat in college football). If Troy Smith wins it this year, Ohio State will tie ND and USC (7 for each school). And then when Antonio Pittman wins it next year, OSU will take over the outright lead. By the way TSUN only has 3 trophies.

BuckWoody
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
So...how's your pick looking now, everyone? Sure looks like it's Troy Smith's trophy to lose. Can't see him not winning, really.

Some interesting Heisman tidbits:

Both USC and Notre Dame are tied for 7 Heisman winners. However, in the last 40 years, Notre Dame has only had one winner, Tim Brown in 1987. All of the Trojan Heisman winners have been in the last 40 years, including three in four years between 2002 and 2005 (considered an unprecedented feat in college football). If Troy Smith wins it this year, Ohio State will tie ND and USC (7 for each school). And then when Antonio Pittman wins it next year, OSU will take over the outright lead. By the way TSUN only has 3 trophies.
...and two of their Heisman winners are from? Anyone...anyone...

Ohio. Thank you.

Red Leader
10-30-2006, 04:33 PM
And then when Antonio Pittman wins it next year, OSU will take over the outright lead. By the way TSUN only has 3 trophies.

Are you serious? Gahhh. It's already starting for next year?

USC and Notre Dame both have 7 Heisman winning players. If Smith wins the Heisman this year, he'll be the 6th player in OSU history, not the 7th. USC and Notre Dame will still have more Heisman Trophy winners than OSU. They might have the same number of Heisman trophies, but not the same number of Heisman trophy winners. Aha. I did it. I managed to take that whole "Archie Griffin went to OSU and he's the only player to win the Heisman trophy twice" thing and completely turn it around on you. I did it. Yes!

Anyway, next year, I would venture to guess that Mike Hart will be one of the favorites along with Chad Henne.

Red Leader
10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
BTW, I think that this year's is one of the weakest Heisman races in awhile. Not to take anything away from Troy Smith, because he has been somewhat awesome to date, but there really isn't a good #2 option. Definitely not like last year's race with Vince Young, Leinart and Reggie Bush.

max venable
10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
BTW, I think that this year's is one of the weakest Heisman races in awhile. Not to take anything away from Troy Smith, because he has been somewhat awesome to date, but there really isn't a good #2 option. Definitely not like last year's race with Vince Young, Leinart and Reggie Bush.

I agree with that.

And oh, BTW,

It'll be 7 trophies...tied for the lead...AND that includes the only 2-time winner :)

Also, here's an article about Antonio Pittman's Heisman hopes:

http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2006/10/25/20061025-C1-02.html

max venable
11-03-2006, 05:20 PM
See all 23 of Troy Smith's TDs here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHpwEGom36U&mode=related&search=

Great video.

15fan
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Bump.

Sam Swank with another 50+ yarder last night

(51 yards, to be exact)

in the absolute beat down that the Deacs put on FSU.

MWM
11-12-2006, 07:07 PM

I agree. I love what Smith has done, but I don't think it's a typically Heisman worthy performance. He's led a loaded team and led it well, but he's not had to be spectacular. But no one else hs this year either. I think had Adrian Peterson not gotten hurt, he should have won.

BTW, I agree with you on Hart next year. He might be the front runner coming in along with Brian Brohm. Hart is a great RB and underappreciated nationally. The QB from Cal might be in the mix as well.

But I couldn't disagree more on Henne. I know we don't necessarily see eye to eye on him, but I don't think he's even close to Heisman worthy. Look how average he's been when he hasn't been able to throw it up to Manningham. Henne might be better than I give him credit for (then again, he might not be), but I'm pretty comfortable saying he doesn't have a Heisman in him. Heck, I think Manningham should be in the hunt before him. I'm just very underwhelmed by Henne as a QB.

Puffy
11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Next years favorite is Steve Slaton. The line forms behind him.

And I don't think Hart has a chance. He's real good and is gonna be a solid pro, but I don't think - in Michigan's offense - he puts up the stats to be a Heisman winner.

MWM
11-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I forgot about Slaton. You're right, he'll be the pre-season favorite.

Puffy
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I forgot - next year it goes Slaton is 1, McFadden is 1a. Then the line forms behind them.

It could be a special race between those two though.

Cedric
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
See all 23 of Troy Smith's TDs here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHpwEGom36U&mode=related&search=

Great video.

Incredible arm strength, accuracy, and mobility.

He's had an amazing year and deserves any award he get's.

max venable
11-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Incredible arm strength, accuracy, and mobility.

He's had an amazing year and deserves any award he get's.

Watching those TDs again, man, you're right especially about the accuracy. Amazing.

Anybody know what the NFL scouts are saying about troy?

Cedric
11-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Watching those TDs again, man, you're right especially about the accuracy. Amazing.

Anybody know what the NFL scouts are saying about troy?

He's about the same size as Drew Brees. He won't last past the early part of the second round. There are 30 teams and at least one with enough common sense to overlook his not being 6 foot plus.

If Akili Smith is a top three pick than Troy Smith has no worries. Someone will make the right call.

Puffy
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry - I forgot yet another.

It goes Slaton 1a, McFadden 1b and Rice 1c. Could be a special three person race. And could also add Pat White of WVU, although that could split the votes with Slaton.

max venable
11-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Congrats to Troy Smith for wrapping up the Heisman last night. And congrats to all you Redszoners who correctly picked Troy to win it. Please identify yourselves so we can pat each other on the back. :thumbup:

Yes, I picked Troy Smith to win it thankyouverymuch. :beerme:

RedsBaron
11-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Congrats to Troy Smith for wrapping up the Heisman last night. And congrats to all you Redszoners who correctly picked Troy to win it. Please identify yourselves so we can pat each other on the back. :thumbup:

Yes, I picked Troy Smith to win it thankyouverymuch. :beerme:

I picked Smith as well. Of course, I just voted a couple of minutes ago.;)

max venable
11-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I picked Smith as well. Of course, I just voted a couple of minutes ago.;):rolleyes:

max venable
12-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Of course, as promised, it's time to revisit this thread.

While we're on the subject...I cannot believe Quinn finished third. Anybody have any theories as to why?

traderumor
12-09-2006, 10:33 PM

While we're on the subject...I cannot believe Quinn finished third. Anybody have any theories as to why?ESPN obviously didn't have enough votes.

max venable
12-09-2006, 10:37 PM
ESPN obviously didn't have enough votes.

Right...or John David Booty would have won it. :evil:

NJReds
12-11-2006, 05:28 PM

While we're on the subject...I cannot believe Quinn finished third. Anybody have any theories as to why?

Backlash against ND's schedule, probably. I think a lot of people were looking for reasons not to vote for Quinn. Second doesn't really matter, anyway. McFadden (who's not even on the poll) had some great performances late in the season in big games, too.

This was Ohio St. and Smith's season. They are the most dominant team, and he's the guy who will lead them to the championship.

jmcclain19
12-12-2006, 04:30 AM
The media wants Troy Smith oh so badly to be the next Vince Young.

And Robert Smith, a Buckeye, picking Smith to win the Heisman. Can you say HOMER?

I'll say it will go to the best player on the best team, like usual, and because I (disgustedly) think Auburn will steamroll everyone this year I'll say Kenny Irons will win the Heisman after getting near the 2,000 yard rushing mark.

As I quote myself here. I am obviously the best Heisman prognosticator in the history of man.

Awesome work.