PDA

View Full Version : Assessing Krivsky

flyer85
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Waynes tenure to this point is a bit of mixed bag(as it is with most GMs), some really good moves early and some not so good as of late. Overall to this point the scorecard is decidely in his favor.

In general I have found that it is a lot easier for people to cut and run from small mistakes than the bigger ones. What tends to happen is that the larger mistakes cause a refusal for people to want to admit the problem which causes a delay in being able to move on and fix it.

Wayne has been very proactive in identifying problems and trying to fix them. He has shown himself to be decisive if something isn't working in trying to fix it. No doubt the Kearns/Lopez deal was a big trade, which brings us to the current SS situation. It has become quite apparent, with last night being an exclamation point, that the hoped for results from bringing Clayton in to play SS are not happening and seem unlikely to occur. So the question is, will Krivsky step up, admit the mistake and move on and try and fix it. If he does I will be solidly in his camp as the GM. The reason losing franchises get stuck where they are is a refusal to admit a mistake and move on. Instead the losing franchises live with their mistakes year after year and hope against all reason that it will get better. I'll be watching.

princeton
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
:rolleyes:

REDREAD
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't necessarily think we need to DFA Clayton though. Just bench him and let Castro start. The Reds are thin enough on position players that they probably have to carry Clayton as a backup infielder.

Who would've ever thought there'd be such a movement on RedsZone to make Castro a starting player :lol:

flyer85
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't necessarily think we need to DFA Clayton though. Just bench him and let Castro start. The Reds are thin enough on position players that they probably have to carry Clayton as a backup infielder.That would be Narrons decision, I don't see any reason to believe that Krivksy is providing input into who should be playing. Wayne's decision is whether or not a player is on the roster, Narrons decision is which eight are on the field each night.

REDREAD
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
That would be Narrons decision, I don't see any reason to believe that Krivksy is providing input into who should be playing. Wayne's decision is whether or not a player is on the roster, Narrons decision is which eight are on the field each night.

True, I know some people want to DFA Clayton just so Narron isn't tempted to use him, but surely Wayne could talk with Narron about it. Sadly, I'm not sure Wayne realizes what a disaster Clayton is. Wayne sure seemed high on Clayton at the time of the trade. For all we know, it might be Wayne insisting Clayton was the starter.

flyer85
08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
True, I know some people want to DFA Clayton just so Narron isn't tempted to use him, but surely Wayne could talk with Narron about it. Sadly, I'm not sure Wayne realizes what a disaster Clayton is. Wayne sure seemed high on Clayton at the time of the trade. For all we know, it might be Wayne insisting Clayton was the starter.Clayton as a backup does not serve much purpose, he has never played 2b/3b(ok, one game in 92) in his career making not very useful as a backup since he can't hit either.

flyer85
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Wayne is a nice contrast to the DanO method of problem resolution(ignore it and hope it gets better). Krivsky seems to keep throwing solutions at a problem until something sticks(like acquring 5 bullpen arms). I just hope keeps going into he find something that sticks at SS. It seems likely the margin of error for making the playoffs will be very small.

fearofpopvol1
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I think for the most part, fans appreciate Krivsky and what he has done (at least in some trades). What fans don't appreciate is Narron and his managing.

markymark69
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I'd give him B+ at this point. The bullpen needed to be re-shaped badly, I didn't think he could make enough trades to do that, but he has. I think long term, that will prove itself, which will up the grade I am giving him.

Arroyo, Phillips and Ross were great trades.

I wasn't particularly happy that Kearns was dealt, but I understand. I'm just glad we have a GM that is not afraid to pull the trigger, but also not afraid to make a mistake. Jim Bowden had a lot of the first trait, but not too much of the second. O'Brien, unfortunately had neither and I think still may have Lindner and Allen's puppett strings on his back, but I digress.

Majewski has been as much unlucky as he has been bad, Bray looks good and Cormier is solid. Lohse, I'm willing to take a wait and see approach.

Clayton has been disappointing. Not so much that I thought he was that good, but he is not playing like a veteran, he has not been the defensive upgrade he was labeled to be. Lopez being gone doesn't bother me, but Clayton hasn't been any better which drops his grade some, so all we did was lose some offense in the process.

I look forward to see what Krivsky will do in the future. He should make Reds baseball fun again.

Falls City Beer
08-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I'd give him a B-.

RedsMan3203
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Okay... I've had enough reading of Clayton and last night.

I was un-able to watch and listen to the game due to working....

What the heck did he do?

puca
08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe it is a cop out, but I'm not ready to give a grade.

I'm not a fan of any of the trades he made in the past month, but if they make the playoffs he has at least accomplished something. He certainly turned over the bullpen, but I'm not sold on how big of an improvement he made. For all of Krivsky's manuvering, the Reds still don't have a single pitcher they can run out there in a critical situation to shut down a rally.

Fat_Strat
08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
As a Cards fan, I hope you don't mind if I weigh in.

Even though I don't agree with the Kearns/Lopez trade, I think that Krivsky spells blood in the water as is going after us with all he's worth. I'm a very objective and knowledgable fan, and I can tell you flat out that we are not a good team. The entire NL is weak. There's no reason why, if you get hot at the right time, you can't make a serious run this season.

If you can make a playoff run, restock your coffers with some postseason cash, and then start making a more serious play at some of the FA pitchers next year you'll catch up with us in a hurry.

It's all boils down to money. The more you have the more you can spend while still raking in profits. I see the Reds as the 2000 Cardinals, right before we starting spending money and trading prospects to put together our current string of division championships.

Good luck to you. You'll need it. But, it will be nice to worry about someone other than the Astros for awhile.

cincrazy
08-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey, thanks for the words Fat Strat. If Wayne Krivsky can come anywhere close to doing the job here that Jocketty has done in St. Louis, Reds fans will be ecstatic. Any news on Mark Mulder by the way? I haven't heard much, but I do know if that guy can come back at anywhere near full strength down the stretch, you guys are gonna be looking good. Hopefully we can go down to the wire with you, but either way, good luck to you also.

westofyou
08-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the words Fat Strat. If Wayne Krivsky can come anywhere close to doing the job here that Jocketty has done in St. Louis, Reds fans will be ecstatic. Any news on Mark Mulder by the way? I haven't heard much, but I do know if that guy can come back at anywhere near full strength down the stretch, you guys are gonna be looking good. Hopefully we can go down to the wire with you, but either way, good luck to you also.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5372

The Cards should get much more information tomorrow on Mark Mulder. Hes scheduled to throw a simulated game on Tuesday. Assuming he makes it through the three-inning sim without problems, Mulder will head out for one rehab game. At this point in the season, rehab assignments tend to get shorter. (There is an exception when minor-league affiliates are in playoff races.) Mulder should be back in the Cards rotation by mid-month, though his injury is likely to be a lingering type, not unlike the Cards saw over the last couple years of Matt Morris. The difference here is that Mulder will be a free agent after the season.

cincrazy
08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey thanks for the news westofyou. Unfortunate for a guy like Mulder. For as much heat as Billy Beane took for letting Mulder and Hudson go, he deserves a standing ovation for doing so, as Zito is still going strong and those two have had their share of problems this season health and performance wise.

Mario-Rijo
08-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Let's just weigh it out the old fashioned way. Brownie Points by the fans.

Deductions of value:
Austin Kearns -2pt
Felipe Lopez -2pt
Wily Mo Pena -2pt
Zach Ward -2pt
Josh Hancock -1pt
Justin Germano -1/2pt
Travis chick -1/2pt
Jeff Stevens -1/2pt

Additions of value:
Brandon Phillips +2pt
David Ross +2pt
Bronson Arroyo +2pt
Bill Bray +2pt
Scott Hatteberg +1pt
Eddie Guardado +1pt
Gary Majewski +1pt
Rheal Cormier +1pt
Juan Castro + 1/2pt
Kyle Lohse + 1/2 pt
Brendan Harris + 1/2 pt
Daryl Thompson + 1/2 pt
Robert Manuel + 1/2 pt

Additions by subtraction:
Tony Womack + 1pt
Dave Williams + 1pt
Rick White + 1pt
Chris Hammond + 1pt

Subtractions by Addition:
Royce Clayton - 1pt

Addition by Addition but Subtraction by Subtraction:
Cody Ross +1 pt (for acquiring) -1 1/2 pts (for dealing) = - 1/2 pt
(On a side note in dealing for and away C. Ross we managed to get Fla. to pay us a cool half million for giving away Ben Kozlowski to L.A.)

Non Issues:
P/U and then Dropped:
Esteban Yan (gave us a few good outings and a few bad ones = 0)
Joe Mays - 1pt for ever thinking he could pitch at any level anymore.

Total minuses: 13 brownie pts lost

Total pluses: 18 1/2 gained

Total overall: + 5 1/2 pts gained overall

Being in 1st place in the W/C on August 2nd Priceless!!!!!

Way to go Krivsky :thumbup: :beerme: :thisyear:

IslandRed
08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Good thread.

I've yet to see any GM anywhere win every deal, and I've yet to see a GM where every deal can be rationally explained. Even my favorite, Billy Beane, has some head-scratching clunkers in there where I just don't know what the heck he was thinking. As fans, we have incomplete information, so while scratching my head, I try to allow for the possibility that there was a good reason we don't know about.

What I expect from a good GM is to (1) win more deals than he loses, (2) not take any hits below the waterline and (3) don't shy away from tough calls. By that standard, I think Krivsky's been good. Not great, but good. He hasn't addressed everything that needs addressing, but I didn't expect the roster makeover to be done in six months. I wasn't thrilled with the Washington trade, but I don't think that's a long-term ship-sinker. Some disagree.

Mostly, in a division filled with just-OK clubs and no historic waves of talent coming from anyone's farm system, I think Krivsky/Castellini give us as good a chance as anyone in coming years. I didn't feel that way back in January.

Redhook
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
What fans don't appreciate is Narron and his managing.

That's because there isn't much to appreciate from him. A good manager would find a way to get BP, RA, and EE on the field at the same time. A good manager would find a way to move JR. down a spot or two in the lineup.
Narron is a decent guy and helped turn this team around, but he is also doing his best to stunt the team's growth for this year and beyond.

TexasRed
08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I have been reading and enjoying Redszone for some time now but have yet to post a comment.............. I guess I will take the plunge on this one.......... As a life long Reds fan I can tell you I was sure suffering for the past few years. DanO was the worst excuse for a GM I have ever witnessed. Lindner was only out to make sure he didn't loose any $$$ and (as far as I could tell) was not really a fan of the game.

I think Krivsky is a good baseball man. He has made some moves that have made me wonder (especially the Washington deal) but is at least getting in there and trying to get things done. I really wish we could make a deal for an impact player (would'nt Oswalt look good in Red?) but I have to believe the deals just aren't there or don't make sense.

I really want to see what he (and Cast) can do with a full year and the off season under their belts............ I think up to this point I have to give an "A-"................. Not everything we are looking for has been under the tree but just think where we have been for the past few years.

Kc61
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Krivsky has a good overall concept. Less emphasis on offense. More on pitching depth and defense. Perhaps team will be less exciting but will win much more.

At this juncture, though, there does not seem to be any outstanding feature to the team. Offense is weakened by trades, pitching is better but not great, defense is better but still below average. Perhaps team is better than most in terms of power (Dunn helps), but exchanging Freel for Kearns and Clayton for Lopez certainly reduces power as did WMP deal. Team speed and athleticism not outstanding (and with all the older players, probably below average).

So Krivsky has rebalanced the squad -- a good concept -- but at this stage the result is a very average baseball team. In the NL perhaps they can stay in the race, but a lot more work needs to be done to make this a true championship contender.