PDA

View Full Version : Serious iPod Problem

BuckU
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I know there are iPod owners around here and I was hoping somebody could offer some helpful information regarding my iPod problem....

I think mine may be shot. It won't start up (only get Apple logo then it shuts off) and my PC won't recognize it at all. It's a 20g 4th Gen and still under warranty. I know I can send it to Apple but they charge for $35.00 for this shipping so I thought I'd check around first.

Some of the symptoms I encountered before this issue was freezing during playback, and random skipping of songs and not always being recognized by my PC when connected (this was only recently)

I have over 1500 songs and, if possible, I'd like to recover them. Is this possible? Has anybody had this problem? Since it's under warranty, will Apple send me a new one (or refurbished one)? Will they be able to transfer the songs?

HELP! :censored:

beb30
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
#1 It doesn't look good especially if your computer doesnt recognize it
#2 I doubt youll recover any songs from the ipod now
#3 hopefully you have all those songs copied to your computer
#4 I'd just take it to the closest Apple store you have, here in Cincinnati there is one in Kenwood Mall. They would probably give you a new one and then ship yours off.

vaticanplum
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Take it to the Apple store. If they say there's nothing they can do (which they probably will), throw it on the ground. I'm dead serious. If that doesn't work, I think that's it. You can turn it in to Apple for a 10% discount on a new one, but I don't think they could recover your songs unfortunately.

OH -- I misread it -- i see yours is still under warranty. Then absolutely take it to the store. They will take care of it. Don't throw it.

Reds Fanatic
08-02-2006, 02:09 PM
These steps here tell you how to reset an Ipod. I would try these steps they may unlock your problem. If not you will need to take it back to the store. Here are the reset steps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

BuckU
08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
These steps here tell you how to reset an Ipod. I would try these steps they may unlock your problem. If not you will need to take it back to the store. Here are the reset steps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

I should have mentioned that I tried all of the "R's" from the Apple website. Thanks!

Reds Fanatic
08-02-2006, 02:20 PM
If you are in Columbus there is an Apple store at the Easton Town Center. You might be able to take it there to get it fixed which would save you the cost of shipping it back.

jmcclain19
08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
So is it Itunes that doesn't recognize it or is it actually your PC?

You might want to, before you do anything drastic, try to back it up.

I spent about $100 buying a USB connected Harddrive that has 250GB on it and backed my Ipod up in case something like this happens in the future. If it's just Itunes that doesn't recognize it, your computer still may, and you should be able to copy the entire ipod and back it up. Which is something I'd recommend for everyone. Cheap investment for the amount of music and data you have on there.

Then I'd wipe the thing clean and start from scratch.

If your computer doesn't recognize it - that's a different animal. One I'm not sure I know how to fix.

You might want to also browse the forums at IpodLounge

http://forums.ilounge.com/

That's the biggest Ipod site on the web that I know of, and chances are someone else has had the same problem and there is a way to fix it

here is the forum for the 4G Ipods

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Good luck

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Get a Creative Zen and listen to a REAL MP3 player.

iTunes is almost the equivalent of spyware....it's worse than AOL.

You can get a Creative Zen with video capabilities and with an enormous hard drive for about HALF of the price an iPod costs. Don't let Apple sell you on their name.....because that's all you're buying.

Apple uses PC parts in their computers now, and don't even make their own parts anymore....

Their commercials are rather contradicting....considering how you can now load Windows onto their systems.

Caseyfan21
08-02-2006, 05:41 PM
I had something similar to this happen to my 20 gb Creative Zen Touch mp3 player. One day I was listening to songs just fine and then it froze up. I hit the reset button when I got home and turned it back on and it said an error had occurred and said I could try to fix it by reloading the entire hard drive (i.e. dump all my songs and reset it). I did this and it was still broken. I ended up sending it in, paying an outrageous fee for a new hard drive (was about a month out of warranty), and then I got it back good as new. I haven’t had a problem since.

As for the IPod vs. Creative debate, I’m not really sure which way I swing. I had a Creative and the above was my experience with it – other than that it’s been fine. My friend also had one of the new video Creative players and had similar difficulties. I have also had friends with IPod’s that broke on them as well. I guess it doesn’t matter which brand you have, things like that happen. The Creatives are significantly cheaper but the thing that frustrated me with the Creative Zen was that nothing was compatible. A lot of these accessories for mp3 players are designed only for IPod’s. As for the programs, it really doesn’t matter for me. I used the software with my Creative player and I’ve used ITunes. I really don’t care for either one of them, especially ITunes. The IPod’s also tend to be a little smaller and lighter but that isn’t a big deal for me.

I am currently looking for a new MP3 player with the video capability. Has anyone ever purchased the refurbished players from the IPod store? I saw they came with a 1 year warranty and I’m sure they perform like new but I was looking for people’s opinions on them. If not, I was still leaning toward getting an IPod since I get a decent work discount with my summer job. If anyone else knows of good discounts or other deals on any mp3 players I would appreciate it. Also, any other opinions would be nice to weigh in making my decision.

Edit: I also forgot to add this was the reason I purchased my first external hard drive. I never want to go through copying all of those CD's to my computer again.

pedro
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm a big fan of my 20 GB IRiver.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I second the iRiver recommendation.

Caveat Emperor
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
iTunes is almost the equivalent of spyware....it's worse than AOL.

Don't let Apple sell you on their name.....because that's all you're buying.

Apple uses PC parts in their computers now, and don't even make their own parts anymore....

Their commercials are rather contradicting....

Somebody's just jealous they didn't buy in on the stock when it was at $12 a share.

I had a Creative Zen MP3 player for my first digital music player and it was nothing but trouble. I like that iTunes automates everything -- I plug my iPod in and it works. I like simplicity.

Come to think of it -- that's what I really bought, not just a name. :mooner:

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Somebody's just jealous they didn't buy in on the stock when it was at $12 a share.

I had a Creative Zen MP3 player for my first digital music player and it was nothing but trouble. I like that iTunes automates everything -- I plug my iPod in and it works. I like simplicity.

Come to think of it -- that's what I really bought, not just a name. :mooner:

You bought simplicity? Since when is converting every single MP3 song on your computer to ACC format, just to be able to play on an iPod, simplicity?

Stock means absolutely nothing to me in this case....I would personally buy ANY MP3 player over an iPod. Why?

Because I can:

1. Listen to an MP3 in them. (Most music stores are MP3 dedicated)
2. Burn MP3s to disc, listen to them in my car. (Most car stereos now play MP3s from CD)
3. Put them on my Creative Zen, hook up my Monster FM transmitter, and listen to them on any standard home radio, car stereo, etc.

Simple rule of thumb: Don't buy something so proprietary. What's the point in buying something that you have to buy 500000000 different connectors to just to do what you want?

Don't get me wrong....the versatility is great....lots of options. But I'd rather invest into something a little better than spend $1,000 all around on an proprietary digital music player.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Simple rule of thumb: Don't buy something so proprietary. What's the point in buying something that you have to buy 500000000 different connectors to just to do what you want?

Actually I have two connectors. The FM transmittor for the car and a simple RCA to stereo cord for the home stereo. Most of my music is played directly from the computer anyway so I actually need no additional connectors. Not sure why "500000000 different conections" would be needed.

Simple rule of thumb: don't over complicate things.

Burn MP3s to disc, listen to them in my car. (Most car stereos now play MP3s from CD)

Who the heck has the time to sit and burn CD's? With the ipod, I download, I sync, I go. My time's pretty important and I don't want to waste it. Oh yea, even with a 6 disk changer in the car I'm still fiddling with CD's while I'm trying to drive because invaribly the one I want is not in the player. Where's the simplicy in that?

Since when is converting every single MP3 song on your computer to ACC format, just to be able to play on an iPod, simplicity?

Im not positive, so maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you have to convert MP3's to play on itunes/ipod. I downloaded the Marty B call of Dunns game winning grandslam and I'm almost postive that was MP3. I also already had a bunch of songs that I know are MP3 and they play just fine on itunes/ipod.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Actually I have two connectors. The FM transmittor for the car and a simple RCA to stereo cord for the home stereo. Most of my music is played directly from the computer anyway so I actually need no additional connectors. Not sure why "500000000 different conections" would be needed

Simple rule of thumb: don't over complicate things.

Who the heck has the time to sit and burn CD's? With the ipod, I download, I sync, I go. My time's pretty important and I don't want to waste it. Oh yea, even with a 6 disk changer in the car I'm still fiddling with CD's while I'm trying to drive because invaribly the one I want is not in the player. Where's the simplicy in that?

Actually, you would be able to put 100's of songs on a CD in MP3 format. So, in technicality, fiddling around with CDs would be cut to a low point. Maybe when you got tired of listening to the 200-400 MP3s on the CD, would you actually change it.

Im not positive, so maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you have to convert MP3's to play on itunes/ipod. I downloaded the Marty B call of Dunns game winning grandslam and I'm almost postive that was MP3. I also already had a bunch of songs that I know are MP3 and they play just fine on itunes/ipod.

I am almost certain that iPods require an .acc format to play the file you want.

Sorry. Just not crazy about iPods, and you having to have their service and software to even put the music on the player.

I just prefer to have something that I know I don't have to stick with a certain service at all times....or I can put whatever format I want to on the MP3 player (Most MP3 players will now play WMA and most video files if video capable).

StillFunkyB
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
You bought simplicity? Since when is converting every single MP3 song on your computer to ACC format, just to be able to play on an iPod, simplicity?

You don't have to convert everything to AAC format. The songs you purchase from the iTunes music store are in that format, but you can import your current MP3 library without converting.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I am almost certain that iPods require an .acc format to play the file you want.

I'm on the road and away from my home computer so I can't verify this.

However, I did have a large number of mp3's prior to getting the ipod. I never converted them to .acc and they work just fine. So I'm pretty sure that no conversion is neccessary.

oneupper
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM

I play mp3s on my ipods (4 in the family) not acc's.

What happens is that iTunes encoder will convert your CDs to ACC as a default. Change this in preferences and you're good to go.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Actually, you would be able to put 100's of songs on a CD in MP3 format. So, in technicality, fiddling around with CDs would be cut to a low point. Maybe when you got tired of listening to the 200-400 MP3s on the CD, would you actually change it.

Again, who has the time to sit and burn all this music?

And trust me, I flip through songs and music types very quickly. Drive the wife insane. I don't want to spend time, while driving, trying to remember which CD had the german millitary marching music, which one has the AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, which one has the Bee Gees and which has the "Ode to Joy" and searching to find them.

It's all preferences and IMO there are no "right" or "wrong" answers but I just dissagred with your statements above. That's all. I think whatver system works best for you is the one to go with.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Again, who has the time to sit and burn all this music?

And trust me, I flip through songs and music types very quickly. Drive the wife insane. I don't want to spend time, while driving, trying to remember which CD had the german millitary marching music, which one has the AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, which one has the Bee Gees and which has the "Ode to Joy" and searching to find them.

It's all preferences and IMO there are no "right" or "wrong" answers but I just dissagred with your statements above. That's all. I think whatver system works best for you is the one to go with.

Most Cd Writers burn CDs just as fast as transfering music from the computer to the MP3 player/iPod. Most of the time, faster (Depending on how many songs you have to transfer).

So, the point is rather moot.

pedro
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
One thing I do like about my Iriver and which is a major reason I didn't buy an Ipod is that I can "rent" music from Rhapsody and listen to whatever I want for $15 a month.

The Iriver was also cheaper than a comparable IPod. ($195 for a 20 GB Iriver)

IPod's are nice though amd BuckU I hope you have good luck getting yours fixed.

ochre
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
You don't have to convert everything to AAC format. The songs you purchase from the iTunes music store are in that format, but you can import your current MP3 library without converting.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod101/tunes/2/#2

Add Music, Movies, and More from My Hard Drive

If you already have digital music files (MP3, AIFF, WAV, and what have you), audiobooks (Audible—.aa—format only), and video files (any QuickTime-compatible movie file) on your hard drive, adding them to your iTunes library is easy. Simply locate the files that you want to add to iTunes and drag them (one at a time or all together) onto the Library icon in the iTunes Source list.

from apple

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I do take back some of what I said. The iPod does play MP3 format up to 320 kbps. However, anything above that, you have to conver to .AAC format.

I'm still not a fan of it being over priced just because it's a product of Apple.

Caseyfan21
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
All of the conversion arguments are partially true. To go on an IPod, the files do have to be of a certain format. I was convinced by my roommates that ITunes was the best music player so I downloaded it and gave it a try. When you drag mp3’s into ITunes it converts them (rather quickly) into its own format. Then it saves them in that format in a special folder in your computer. In essence, as far as I understood, it’s like saving them twice (although the IPod format is smaller). The same thing, again as I understand, occurs for videos. Also, ITunes is not a big fan of wma files. I had many on my computer and those do take quite awhile to convert to the ITune friendly type. MP3’s are fast, wma are slow.

I think even if I do end up getting an IPod I will still use WinAmp for listening. It does all file formats for me.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Like I said before, this is all personal preference stuff. So there is no correct answer.

I was responding to some comments that I didn't beleive to be true.

That you need a bajillion connectors. Not true. I have exactly two. I could probably get by on one since I hardly play the ipod through the stereo and instead listen through the computer.

Burning things to CDs is an extra step that defeats the purpose of the digital music player in the first place. They are an extra cost (which I thought was a knock against Apple). My car stereo does not support mp3 formats so I can't get 200-300 songs on one cd. I'd have to juggle the CDs to get the ones I want (while driving). And no matter how fast your cd burner is, invaribly the CD I'd want to add the new selection to will be somewhere other than near the computer (because of my diverse musical tastes I'd want to keep certian musical types on the same CDs). That's not what I consider an easy solution.

And where in the heck does an ipod cost $1000? Maybe there is a new model I'm not aware of. I got my 2G nano via redeamed hotel points. My fm transmitter for the car was $90. Done. Pretty dang cheep if you ask me. Even if I paid for the 30G music one you ain't going to be near $1000.

That's cool that you don't like the ipod/itunes arrangement, but don't make stuff up to support your argument.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Like I said before, this is all personal preference stuff. So there is no correct answer.

I was responding to some comments that I didn't beleive to be true.

That you need a bajillion connectors. Not true. I have exactly two. I could probably get by on one since I hardly play the ipod through the stereo and instead listen through the computer.

Burning things to CDs is an extra step that defeats the purpose of the digital music player in the first place. They are an extra cost (which I thought was a knock against Apple). My car stereo does not support mp3 formats so I can't get 200-300 songs on one cd. I'd have to juggle the CDs to get the ones I want (while driving). And no matter how fast your cd burner is, invaribly the CD I'd want to add the new selection to will be somewhere other than near the computer (because of my diverse musical tastes I'd want to keep certian musical types on the same CDs). That's not what I consider an easy solution.

And where in the heck does an ipod cost $1000? Maybe there is a new model I'm not aware of. I got my 2G nano via redeamed hotel points. My fm transmitter for the car was $90. Done. Pretty dang cheep if you ask me. Even if I paid for the 30G music one you ain't going to be near $1000.

That's cool that you don't like the ipod/itunes arrangement, but don't make stuff up to support your argument.

You're a rare case. You WON an iPod.

For those who have to buy one, the 30G is like $300...

An FM Transmitter should NEVER cost $90. Since it is Apple, it's pretty proprietary, so i am sure you had to buy the Apple Brand FM transmitter. Hell, you can get a normal FM transmitter for an MP3 player for like $30, and even a better one in a Monster for like $50-60.

By the time you buy the iPod, buy the needed accessories, and downoad the music you want, it could be $1000 or more for it. Face it, when you're buying music...you're buying it from Apple, so how could you not consider it part of the purchase?

If you put that into effect, you essentially have been paying for a music player you 'supposidely' got for free.

I'm not making stuff up, BTW. Thanks for the accusation though.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
You're a rare case. You WON an iPod.

For those who have to buy one, the 30G is like $300...

An FM Transmitter should NEVER cost $90. Since it is Apple, it's pretty proprietary, so i am sure you had to buy the Apple Brand FM transmitter. Hell, you can get a normal FM transmitter for an MP3 player for like $30, and even a better one in a Monster for like $50-60.

By the time you buy the iPod, buy the needed accessories, and downoad the music you want, it could be $1000 or more for it. Face it, when you're buying music...you're buying it from Apple, so how could you not consider it part of the purchase?

If you put that into effect, you essentially have been paying for a music player you 'supposidely' got for free.

I'm not making stuff up, BTW. Thanks for the accusation though.

Actually no. I didn't HAVE to buy the Apple Brand FM transmitter. I could have bought one of the crappy $20 ones. I chose the unit I bought (from a 3rd party provider, not Apple so you are wrong again) because it acomplised several things I wanted; it was a transmitter, charger and cradle all in one. So the extra money was because I chose to spend it.

And there are FM transmitters that work with the ipod and many other units by a large number of 3rd party companies. How is that "propitatary"?

Let's use your example. $300 30G ipod + $60 Monster FM transmitter = $360. Where's the remaining cost to get you to $1000?

The cost of downloading music is irrelvant because you are going to pay to do it with other services also. So if you pay $.99 to one, or $.99 to another it's a wash. If you want to add it to the ipod, fine. But they you have to add it to the cost of any other system also.

If you don't download any songs, then you have to purchase the CDs. If you just copy music from friends then you get an advantage. Of course waiting for your buddies to buy what you want isn't terribly convienent. So one way or another you are going to pay for the music.

So so far you've been incorrect about the cost of the accessories, that you need "a bajillion" connectors, that you have to convert everything to .acc and that you are locked into using only Apple accessories with the unit.

I applogize if saying you were making things up was out of line. Perhaps being totally incorrect would have been a better way of saying it.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Does Apple even make FM transmitters?

I bought a $90 one and it wasn't from apple. Maybe it shouldn't cost that much but at least it works. That is more than I can say for the cheap model I bought at Wal Mart.

TC81190
08-02-2006, 09:50 PM

Stock means absolutely nothing to me in this case....I would personally buy ANY MP3 player over an iPod. Why?

Because I can:

1. Listen to an MP3 in them. (Most music stores are MP3 dedicated)
2. Burn MP3s to disc, listen to them in my car. (Most car stereos now play MP3s from CD)
3. Put them on my Creative Zen, hook up my Monster FM transmitter, and listen to them on any standard home radio, car stereo, etc.

Don't get me wrong....the versatility is great....lots of options. But I'd rather invest into something a little better than spend $1,000 all around on an proprietary digital music player.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? You don't have to convert audio files to ACC/M4A format to play on an iPod.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Actually no. I didn't HAVE to buy the Apple Brand FM transmitter. I could have bought one of the crappy $20 ones. I chose the unit I bought (from a 3rd party provider, not Apple so you are wrong again) because it acomplised several things I wanted; it was a transmitter, charger and cradle all in one. So the extra money was because I chose to spend it.

And there are FM transmitters that work with the ipod and many other units by a large number of 3rd party companies. How is that "propitatary"?

First off, it would've helped if you would have said it was a 3rd party that made it.

Secondly, I will admit that I am not too familiar with Apple's hardware, accessories, etc. After all, I don't work for them, and I am not a huge fan so I don't keep up with their stuff.

Their older versions of iPod, however, were PROPRIETARY. So, that is where my information lies.

Let's use your example. $300 30G ipod + $60 Monster FM transmitter = $360. Where's the remaining cost to get you to $1000?

I just told you that the songs you download will eventually bring you to the amount. I guess that passed your attesting eyes, apprarently.

The cost of downloading music is irrelvant

How so? When your BUYING the songs, you're BUYING them from APPLE. Irrelevant? I think not, despite buying it from other sources if you have an MP3 player. You're still paying the company FOR the player you bought....MP3 player or Ipod.

If you don't download any songs, then you have to purchase the CDs. If you just copy music from friends then you get an advantage. Of course waiting for your buddies to buy what you want isn't terribly convienent.

True. But who said they did this? I don't recall saying I did.

So so far you've been incorrect about the cost of the accessories, that you need "a bajillion" connectors, that you have to convert everything to .acc and that you are locked into using only Apple accessories with the unit.

How was I wrong? All you said was 'FM transmitter' and that it cost '$90.' You never said anything about a 3rd party or it being a multiple function accessory. Maybe if you supplied me with the correct information, and assumption wouldn't have occured.

Ipods will PLAY MP3s and other files, but when you bring them to the iTunes organizer, it will automatically convert them to .aac format. So in essence, I was right.

I applogize if saying you were making things up was out of line. Perhaps being totally incorrect would have been a better way of saying it.

Your smugness is overwhelming.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
With Rhapsody, I pay 15 bucks a month and easily have thousands of dollars worth of music to show for it. It all goes with me on my iriver.

I will never buy another album or pay $.99 per song ever again.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
With Rhapsody, I pay 15 bucks a month and easily have thousands of dollars worth of music to show for it. It all goes with me on my iriver.

I will never buy another album or pay $.99 per song ever again.

There you go, Lt! But, I guess I was wrong about the service with iTunes?

SHAME ON ME!!!! :bang:

ochre
08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Columbus Public Library for teh win.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
What does that prove about the service with itunes?

$15 a month for a year is $180. My wife got an ipod for Christmas and she has close to 300 songs, many of which came off CDs she already owned. I doubt if she will spend $180 on music this year.

I'm know nothing about this, can someone explain in laymans terms the benefits of spending $15 a month? What does that get you?

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 10:28 PM

$15 a month for a year is 180. My wife got an ipod for Christmas and she has close to 300 songs, many of which came of CDs she already owned. I doubt if she will spend $180 on music this year.

I'm know nothing about this, can someone explain in laymans terms the benefits of spending $15 a month? What does that get you?

As many song as you want.

The point I was trying to prove, is that with many MP3 providers, you get more songs for your buck. I was just trying to point out, that after you buy the iPod you want, the accessories that you want or desire to get ALL of the functions from your iPod, and then the songs that you want, you could end up paying $1000+.

That's all I said....

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 10:30 PM
There you go, Lt! But, I guess I was wrong about the service with iTunes?

SHAME ON ME!!!! :bang:

If you want to include the cost of the music to inflate the "purchase price" of the hardware to get to your magical $1000 purchase price, sure. Go right ahead. Your original statments were about the cost of the hardware so to suddenly include the cost of the music makes no sense.

And you continue to insist a luandry list of accessories are needed which is flat out wrong. I needed one accessory to be able to use the product in my car. One. Uno. Einz.

By the way, there is no "automatic conversion" to .acc that takes place in itunes. You can import from CD's in either .acc OR mp3 format (it's actually your choice, no Big Apple staring over your sholder). Any existing mp3 on your system will not be "automatically" converted to .acc. So your claims are once again incorrect.

I don't think there is any "perfect" music system out there as it depends soley on personal preference. If you don't like Apple stuff that's great and your choice but at least have your facts straight (especially since you aren't up to date on the newest hardware/software). But if you spew out totally false claims, and someone corrects you, it isn't being smug, it's being factual.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
If you want to include the cost of the music to inflate the "purchase price" of the hardware to get to your magical $1000 purchase price, sure. Go right ahead. Your original statments were about the cost of the hardware so to suddenly include the cost of the music makes no sense.

"Don't get me wrong....the versatility is great....lots of options. But I'd rather invest into something a little better than spend $1,000 all around on an proprietary digital music player."

^^^ That's what I said. I never mentioned it solely about hardware, as you can clearly see.

And you continue to insist a luandry list of accessories are needed which is flat out wrong. I needed one accessory to be able to use the product in my car. One. Uno. Einz.

You continue to repeat yourself.

I JUST SAID that by getting the accessories to get ALL the functions out of your iPod (whether its songs, digital camera connectors, etc.)....

Another slip of the eye? If you've noticed, I haven't really been using any particular person as an example. Everyone is different. Just throwing the FULL possibilities out there.

I don't think there is any "perfect" music system out there as it depends soley on personal preference. If you don't like Apple stuff that's great and your choice but at least have your facts straight (especially since you aren't up to date on the newest hardware/software). But if you spew out totally false claims, and someone corrects you, it isn't being smug, it's being factual.

So far you have corrected me on a software issue. But the whole argument has been based on what YOU do or what YOU have with an iPod that you won.

Of course you haven't spent the amount stated....because it wasn't directed towards you in general, as I mentioned.

Not to mention, you didn't specify what you exactly had with your ipod, which was also mentioned earlier.

All you have done is ran with the software correction, and have misinformed me on your accessories, hardware, etc.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 10:47 PM

$15 a month for a year is $180. My wife got an ipod for Christmas and she has close to 300 songs, many of which came off CDs she already owned. I doubt if she will spend $180 on music this year.

It gives you access to a library of upwards 2,000,000 titles. There's a few different services that similar in structure (I pay it annually).

Currently, I have 12 gigs worth of music all from this service. All have been downloaded legally, but I have rights to over $3000 worth of music (I could have more if I wanted it on my hard drive) and have paid $160 for it.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I would think that anyone with enough love for music that they need 1000s of songs at their disposal would already own a boatload of CDs and thus would not need to buy many of the songs they want.

I just can't imagine someone buying and ipod and then buying 700 songs. I can see having 700 songs on your ipod but I'd think that someone with that many would simply be able to download a lot of the music they already own.

Who is out there, with no music that just like that needs 700 songs?

I don't think there are too many Joe Americans who are buying more than 200 songs from itunes.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I would think that anyone with enough love for music that they need 1000s of songs at their disposal would already own a boatload of CDs and thus would not need to buy many of the songs they want.

I just can't imagine someone buying and ipod and then buying 700 songs. I can see having 700 songs on your ipod but I'd think that someone with that many would simply be able to download a lot of the music they already own.

Who is out there, with no music that just like that needs 700 songs?

I don't think there are too many Joe Americans who are buying more than 200 songs from itunes.

No, but it's a great way to explore and stretch musical tastes. If one of my friends recommends a band, I can have their music in my earbuds in a matter of minutes. I listen to new bands every week. But the best part is, my library is never static. It doesn't matter what I do, it's the same price.

And there is always new music being put out there. I probably own only 45 cds, so my existing music collection was limited.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
So if you pay $15 for one month, you can download as many songs as you want during that month?

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, we were talking about a music player at the time, but if you want to include video, we can do that too. You can get a basic video connector kit for $30-40. I don't know the proper name for that product, but it's basically RCA cables (not made by Apple) with a video connector. If you want to get super fancy, you can purchase a docking station (not made by Apple) that connects to a VCR/DVD/TV, charges and adds a remote controll feature for $150 or so.

I really don't get the " you have misinformed me on your accessories, hardware, etc." bit. After you claimed it took a bajjillion connectors to use the product, I said I had one accesory for the car, it cost $90 and that was it. You assumed it was an apple product and that I was forced into purchasing it by the evil Apple empire (and you also assumed I got ripped off by Apple by paying $90 total). Your incorrect assumption(s) starts and stops at your border, not mine.

Frankly your previous post says it all,
Secondly, I will admit that I am not too familiar with Apple's hardware, accessories, etc. After all, I don't work for them, and I am not a huge fan so I don't keep up with their stuff.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
So if you pay $15 for one month, you can download as many songs as you want during that month?

Right. You can't burn them to CD, that's the only thing. But I can transfer them to my mp3 player, so I have no need to burn them to CD.

Now, be mindful that there is a license attached to the files that are timestamped. So if you stop paying, the tunes stop playing. Think of it as "renting" music.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Let's just throw this example out there....

$300 iPod + $100 in accessories + 600 songs (.99 each) = $1000

but

$500 (60 GB iPod) + $100 in accessories + 400 songs = $1000

I mean, it could vary either way. I was just trying to explain that a normal Mp3 player may save you potentially a good amount of money.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Right. You can't burn them to CD, that's the only thing. But I can transfer them to my mp3 player, so I have no need to burn them to CD.

What format does rapsody use?

Also, what is their song selection? I tired using it once a while back and couldn't find a number of songs (but that was some time ago, and they were somewhat obscure songs so that's not a knock against Rapsody).

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Now, be mindful that there is a license attached to the files that are timestamped. So if you stop paying, the tunes stop playing. Think of it as "renting" music.

So if you decide to quit the service, or they go bankrupt, your music would go kaput after a period of time?

paintmered
08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
What format does rapsody use?

Also, what is their song selection? I tired using it once a while back and couldn't find a number of songs (but that was some time ago, and they were somewhat obscure songs so that's not a knock against Rapsody).

I started out with Musicmatch's service but soon switched when I realized their library was far inferior to Rhapsody's. Now, there are a half-dozen or so well-known artists that are anal about having their music distributed online (Metallica, for example). So I don't have access to that. But these bands are few and far between.

But 99+% of the time, I can find the artist and all the tracks that band has ever released are at my fingertips. I've been really happy with the song selection.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
So if you decide to quit the service, or they go bankrupt, your music would go kaput after a period of time?

Basically. But the subscription base to Rhapsody is very strong, so I don't think bankrupcy is in the works. Their parent company is Real, whose software I absolutely hate (see Realplayer), but I've been happy with the Rhapsody software.

The files are protected .wma format compatable with any Play-it-now compatable mp3 player (ipod is not in that list).

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, we were talking about a music player at the time, but if you want to include video, we can do that too. You can get a basic video connector kit for $30-40. I don't know the proper name for that product, but it's basically RCA cables (not made by Apple) with a video connector. If you want to get super fancy, you can purchase a docking station (not made by Apple) that connects to a VCR/DVD/TV, charges and adds a remote controll feature for $150 or so.

I really don't get the " you have misinformed me on your accessories, hardware, etc." bit. After you claimed it took a bajjillion connectors to use the product, I said I had one accesory for the car, it cost $90 and that was it. You assumed it was an apple product and that I was forced into purchasing it by the evil Apple empire (and you also assumed I got ripped off by Apple by paying $90 total). Your incorrect assumption(s) starts and stops at your border, not mine.

Frankly your previous post says it all,

You won't 'get it' because you REFUSE to.

Enough said.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
You won't 'get it' because you REFUSE to.

Enough said.

You aren't going to last too long blasting other posters like that.

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Basically. But the subscription base to Rhapsody is very strong, so I don't think bankrupcy is in the works. Their parent company is Real, whose software I absolutely hate (see Realplayer), but I've been happy with the Rhapsody software.

The files are protected .wma format compatable with any Play-it-now compatable mp3 player (ipod is not in that list).

Realplayer.....yeeeechhhh. Gives me the willies.

I don't care for the "rental" feature myself, but it does sound like an interesting way of going about it. I'd rather pay extra and own it, but that's just my perference.

No matter who the company, these guys know how to work it. I got the 2G Nano and pretty shortly I've filled it up (I already had a large CD collection so that's eaten a lot of the space) so of course I'm already eyeing the larger unit. Fortunatley, my FM transmitter works with all current sizes of ipod. But I'm sure they will have a new "super deluxe" model out by the time I'm ready to part with the money and I'll just haaaaaavvveee to have it.

The digital music folks (regardless of flavor) had me at, "click here to download".

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 11:20 PM
You aren't going to last too long blasting other posters like that.

I'm not blasting him....? Just done arguing with him. He refuses to acknowledge that he misinformed me of the stuff he had (accessories), then purposely told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Yes, I do admit I am not a huge fan of iPods or really ANYTHING Apple for that matter. Nor do I keep up with them.

I do, however, know what accessories cost. When he just said 'FM Transmitter' it was obviously clear he didn't say, "Oh and its a cradle and does other things as well," at the point of mentioning he had it.

Besides, there's been a heck of lot worse stuff said in these forums where it's been passed by and not acknowledge or forced with warning.

TeamCasey
08-03-2006, 05:34 AM

You're kidding. :eek:

MaineRed
08-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I don't want to rent music. The only way that woulp pay off is if I actually wanted to listen to 2,000,000 articles of music, which I don't.

I'd rather buy the music and own it and just pay $1 whenever I want a new song, which isn't often. $15 a month seems steep. ipod users are being ridiculed because they could spend upwards of $1000 (including music). Well I think most people with ipods plan on having them for 5 years or more. In 5 years, at $15 a month, someone will pay $1000 for music only and they will have nothing to show for it unless the $15 keeps rolling in.

If your a music buff and you want to listen to Frank Sinatra one minute and then Snoop Dogg the next, the $15 a month is probably a good deal.

paintmered
08-03-2006, 06:43 AM
I don't want to rent music. The only way that woulp pay off is if I actually wanted to listen to 2,000,000 articles of music, which I don't.

I'd rather buy the music and own it and just pay $1 whenever I want a new song, which isn't often. $15 a month seems steep. ipod users are being ridiculed because they could spend upwards of $1000 (including music). Well I think most people with ipods plan on having them for 5 years or more. In 5 years, at $15 a month, someone will pay $1000 for music only and they will have nothing to show for it unless the $15 keeps rolling in.

If your a music buff and you want to listen to Frank Sinatra one minute and then Snoop Dogg the next, the $15 a month is probably a good deal.

What is great for one of us may not be ideal for someone else. Rhapsody is what it is. It's not without it's faults. It just so happens to suit my wide range of music tastes well. If the idea of not completely owning the music is a huge turnoff to you, that's okay. I've chosen to look past that hurdle and saved a few thousand bucks in the process.

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
What is great for one of us may not be ideal for someone else. Rhapsody is what it is. It's not without it's faults. It just so happens to suit my wide range of music tastes well. If the idea of not completely owning the music is a huge turnoff to you, that's okay. I've chosen to look past that hurdle and saved a few thousand bucks in the process.

I think it goes right along the same lines as buying v. leasing a car. Some people lease because they want a new car ever couple of years, then some people think that's a waste because you never own the vehicle you pay for.

I actually purchase quite a few CD's still. If I really like a band, I usually buy the CD. I also try to find out if the insert has some artwork, etc. Something other than just the thank-you's. If the insert is weak, I usually just purchase online. I like to preview the CD as well, then if I only like the one song I only buy that one song. It eliminates getting stuck with an entire CD for a one hit wonder.

How does that subscription service work if you have multiple PC's paint?

TeamCasey
08-03-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm not criticizing, Paint. That just surprised me. I can't imagine subscribing to music without actually purchasing it.

I told you, I'm a dinosaur. I probably won't own any of these devices until they cost about 20 bucks. ;)

It's here nor there. I listen to WGRR and FOX. I'm stuck in the 50's-70's. It's like there hasn't been any new music in 40 years. I like my tunes aged like a fine wine. :)

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 07:41 AM

Yea, I can't get past that hurdle myself. I don't want to be locked into using that service until the end of time or risk loosing some percentage of my music collection. But that's just me and as I've posted several times there is no right or wrong answer, just personal preferences.

That's what so great about all this technology and different ways of employing it for our entertanment. I remember in the late 1990's saying to someone "what can they do next" because at the time CD's seemed like the ultimate advancement over LP's. How could it get any better?

But some evil genus out there was working on this digitial music stuff. I think Kronored had something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

And I posted somewhere else, I'm hooked.

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
I did some quick research. 60GB ipods are not the $500 claimed above. You can get a new one from a national electronics/music store for $385. Free shipping. And thats for a top shelf product. The 30GB is $285.

I'm sure with some real digging on the internet, or going to ebay, you can get one for less than these numbers.

Just wanted to clear up some dissinformation. ;)

pedro
08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
One thing to remeber about Rhapsody is that you do have the option to purchase songs permanently if you'd like. And they are only $.79.

So, to me, if offers the best of both worlds, I can listen to an album for a while and see if I really like it, and if I do I can buy it.

pedro
08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Really, for anyone who is at home a lot (and I work at home so I am) I would recommend rhapsody even if they don't have an MP3 player. The basic version is 10 bucks a month (doesn't allow download to mp3 player) and it gives you access to stream a huge selection of music. It allows me access to a ton of stuff that I would never think to buy, even if I could find it, and gives me a chance to check out a ton of jazz and country music that I don't know that much about. I am totally hooked.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I did some quick research. 60GB ipods are not the $500 claimed above. You can get a new one from a national electronics/music store for $385. Free shipping. And thats for a top shelf product. The 30GB is $285.

I'm sure with some real digging on the internet, or going to ebay, you can get one for less than these numbers.

Just wanted to clear up some dissinformation. ;)

It was dissinformation? I looked up it's review on CNet, and it's first original price was around $499.

By the way, if we want to play the 'Know-It-All' game, what you did isn't called research. It's called 'I typed in a search engine to try and prove someone wrong.' Research actually takes some time, which apprently you don't have since you think burning CDs is a burden these days. LMAO

Hell, I looked into it a little more. If you wanted to seem more 'brainy,' all you had to do was go to Apple's website and check out the prices.

Since you try to purposely disregard anything said, I will just thought I would throw that out to you.

Did I mentioned I like MP3 players better? :laugh:

ochre
08-03-2006, 09:35 AM
You two take it to PMs. Nobody else is really interested in your personal battle over who can find more on the intraweb.

TeamCasey
08-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Awwwww ..... Ochre. There was a certain entertainment value to all this.:p:

westofyou
08-03-2006, 10:13 AM
What a bunch of dick swinging... everybody had your testosterone tested lately?

ochre
08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.verolabs.com/images/bottle_buy3.jpg (http://www.verolabs.com/salestool.php?UID=2006080310073212.13.141.21)

BuckU
08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
UPDATE

Okay, So at the advice of the others I made an appointment at the Apple store here in Columbus last night. Long story short, my hard drive was shot and they swapped it out for a brand new one (remember, I was under warranty). It was painless. The downer: all my music was lost. So I was up till 1 A.M. last night and managed to get 250 back on there ;)

The nice thing is that your replacement iPod has a 90 day warranty with it. Since my factory warranty is longer than 90 days it's moot for me. However, for all intents and purposes, you could "break" your iPod every three months and get a new one, provided you back your songs up.

There is a program on download.com called iDump and it backs your songs up so hopefully, I won't have the misfortune of going through this again.

For the record, almost a year of ownership and 1500 songs prior to my meltdown, my total iPod costs might have been $550......food for thought. My preference is that the iPod's simple operations make it the best fit for me. Preference is a term used loosely here at Redszone, and one that should be respected. Weather you are talking about 3rd basemen or digital music players.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Red Leader
08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear that all worked out ok for you, BuckU.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
What a bunch of dick swinging... everybody had your testosterone tested lately?

Did anyone NOT notice this? Or perhaps this was passed by on impartial judgement? No negative rep? No warning? :confused:

Oh yeah, BuckU...since you gave me negative rep for supposidely 'hijacking' your thread....did you give others negative rep for doing the same? I wasn't the ONLY person in on the conversation. Not to mention, I was only defending myself and my points of view.

I am sorry....I get tired of getting my chops busted around here for crap everyone else is allowed to do.

BuckU
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Did anyone NOT notice this? Or perhaps this was passed by on impartial judgement? No negative rep? No warning? :confused:

Oh yeah, BuckU...since you gave me negative rep for supposidely 'hijacking' your thread....did you give others negative rep for doing the same? I wasn't the ONLY person in on the conversation. Not to mention, I was only defending myself and my points of view.

I am sorry....I get tired of getting my chops busted around here for crap everyone else is allowed to do.

Not wise, bud. Rep points are private, any discussion about the fact that you got docked should probably come via PM. The point of the thread was to solicit troubleshooting advice. You came in and ripped iPod users.

BuckU
08-03-2006, 11:14 AM

rep·u·ta·tion
n.
The general estimation in which a person is held by the public.
The state or situation of being held in high esteem.
A specific characteristic or trait ascribed to a person or thing: a reputation for courtesy.

When a person has 1500 in rep points they usually tell it like it is.

MaineRed
08-03-2006, 11:42 AM

I agree, there is no right or wrong answer. For someone like you, who obviously likes to listen to a wide range of music, what you have seems to suit you.

I would never save a few thousand bucks because I don't listen to that much music. I'll never have the need for 2,000 + songs.

That is interesting though that songs are only .79 cents. That is like buying 5 songs and getting the 6th free.

I'm really new to this stuff. What brands are there that compete with ipod and where do you buy the music, if not from itunes? I guess rhapsody is one but what kind of ipod like player do you have? And how much do they cost, especially the ones that hold 150-200 songs?

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Not wise, bud. Rep points are private, any discussion about the fact that you got docked should probably come via PM. The point of the thread was to solicit troubleshooting advice. You came in and ripped iPod users.

I never ripped iPod users, BUD! All I said was that I didn't like it and that I prefer MP3 players over them....that's all! Read exactly what I said, and you'll find I never ripped a single person here.

I never said 'iPod users are stupid!' or 'iPod users SUCK.' <------ That is ripping them!

And it's definitely not fair to say that I 'hijacked' your thread, considering there have 20+ people in here talking about the same thing. Dare I need to pick out names?

Reputation or not, I thought profanity was a BIG 'no-no' here. Just because you have a high reputation doesn't mean the rules no longer apply to you.

BuckU
08-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Just because you have a high reputation doesn't mean the rules no longer apply to you.

Why did Jr. still play CF and bat 3rd when he was slumping?

Red Leader
08-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Take it to PM's if you have a problem with anyone or have more to say about this, Rob. I don't want to hear it anymore.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Why did Jr. still play CF and bat 3rd when he was slumping?

Because he is a professional baseball player, and this is a COMMUNITY.

That is a really moot point.

Rules are set for people to follow.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Take it to PM's if you have a problem with anyone or have more to say about this, Rob. I don't want to hear it anymore.

No, I am sick of taking it to PMs! Everytime something like this happens, I get docked of reputation, and it aggrivates the hell out of me how I get negative reputation for stating an opinion!

I am really tired of explaining how things work here to the administrators and moderators through PMs. They don't respond, or don't do anything about it? Why? Things need to be fixed. :bang:

Newbies here stand absolutely no chance. Why? Because APPARENTLY the rules only apply to them and it's more than obvious that their opinions DON'T matter. I've seen MANY newbies bashed for opinions, berated, and ganged upon because the 'old timers' here think that since they've been here a long time, that they are some sort of 'internet warrior' or 'forum GOD.'

I will probably be banned for this, and by that time, it really won't matter. Because the way things are handled here is absolutely atrocious, and no matter if I state it here or through PM, nothing will be solved in my favor.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people here that are very friendly and follow the rules like they are supposed to. But there are MANY people here that think the rules don't apply to them because they have reputation points that soar through the ceiling!

The reputation system is a joke. It's based soley on whether the person agrees with a post from someone or not. If they don't agree, they dock you. At least that is the 'aura' given off the whole time I have been here. Is this the way it was set in stone when it originated? Is this the way it was stated to be operated in the reputation rules? Nope. I could list about ALL of my reputation points here, and ALL of the negatives are based off agreement on post. ALL OF THEM! There are some positives too..

Oh well. It's been fun here (for those that do things here the right way.). I've tried to help things out here (give PC advice and tech support), and it just doesn't really matter. :(

ochre
08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Cyclone792
Plate Discipline is Key

says :wave:

Sometimes when it's "all these other people have a problem" it's not.

pedro
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Glad you got it replaced BuckU.

zombie-a-go-go
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
No, I am sick of taking it to PMs! Everytime something like this happens, I get docked of reputation, and it aggrivates the hell out of me how I get negative reputation for stating an opinion!

Huh. Telling a mod to "shove it" isn't a great way to become endeared around here, Mr. Dicken.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Huh. Telling a mod to "shove it" isn't a great way to become endeared around here, Mr. Dicken.

Did I say that? I just said you guys don't listen to my issues or even give 2 monkey craps about what I have to say. And you DON'T!

KronoRed
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Glad you got it replaced BuckU.
Agreed

HBP
08-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm really new to this stuff. What brands are there that compete with ipod and where do you buy the music, if not from itunes? I guess rhapsody is one but what kind of ipod like player do you have? And how much do they cost, especially the ones that hold 150-200 songs?

I'd say if you want to keep all your options open, wait a few months until Microsoft comes out with their player. I don't know too many specifics about it but they're going after the iPod market hard. I'm sure all the specs will be similar to the iPod and other offerings out at the time. They're going to try and get iPod users to switch too by offering every song purchased off iTunes for free on their own music service.

paintmered
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree, there is no right or wrong answer. For someone like you, who obviously likes to listen to a wide range of music, what you have seems to suit you.

I would never save a few thousand bucks because I don't listen to that much music. I'll never have the need for 2,000 + songs.

That is interesting though that songs are only .79 cents. That is like buying 5 songs and getting the 6th free.

A bunch of companies have thrown their hat into the mp3 player arena. To be honest, I'm not sure what the latest and greatest is outside of ipod. Back when I purchased mine, I did my homework they all held their own against ipod (and cost less). I personally own an iriver H10. It's been a very solid platform for me.

So I'd say read as many reviews out there as you can. You may suprise yourself.

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
I'd say if you want to keep all your options open, wait a few months until Microsoft comes out with their player. I don't know too many specifics about it but they're going after the iPod market hard. I'm sure all the specs will be similar to the iPod and other offerings out at the time. They're going to try and get iPod users to switch too by offering every song purchased off iTunes for free on their own music service.

Bucku, glad you got your problem solved and they took good care of you. Hopefully you woln't have to go through that panic inducing exercise again.

Despite what you may think after reading this thread, I am not an ipod fanatic. It works for me currently but I'm interested in exploring other options in the future. I don't care for the "touch wheel" navigation as it is too innacurate and you can't change songs/functions just by feal. I'd prefer one with navigation buttons instead.

Of lesser importance, the ultra thin design, while handy is a little too flimsy IMO. That's just a perception on my part. Also, the chrome backs look neat but become scrached and greasy very quickly. That's a total non-performance issue, and very minor, but it bugs me.

I can't wait to see where technology takes the music player busines in the future.

HBP
08-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm like you ltlabner, in that I've had an iPod for 2 years now, but in no way am I an iPod fanatic. So far in the two years, I haven't had a problem at all. The only thing is that I can tell now that the battery lasts for fewer time intervals than it did when it was new, but that's to be expected for all players with those types of batteries. Whenver I decide to get a new player, I will most likely favor a new iPod, but I'll also consider other brands as well.

I think with Microsoft joining the music player industry, it will only prove to be a positive for consumers. Apple will have to stay on their game if they want to continue their success. I guess it might turn out to be a Xbox vs. Playstation type of battle.

BuckU
08-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Also, the chrome backs look neat but become scrached and greasy very quickly. That's a total non-performance issue, and very minor, but it bugs me.

I was so excited to get a brand new one so that I can scuff the chrome back all up :thumbup:

I agree, it's annoying.

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
I have an iPod Nano. I had heard there was a problem with scratching on the screen and on the back.

First thing I did was that I DIDN'T remove the clear plastic film from the screen when I bought the iPod. It's still on there. The second thing I did was buy a leather holder for my iPod. I never take it out of the holder. The holder has cut outs for my connection to play in the car and has an open bottom for when I need to charge it / transfer songs to it. The holder also has like a rock climbing clip on it so I can attach it to my belt if I want to show off how big of a geek I am.

I did take my iPod out of the holder a couple weeks ago just to look at it. It still looks brand new.

ochre
08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
First thing I did was that I DIDN'T remove the clear plastic film from the screen when I bought the iPod. It's still on there...
I did take my iPod out of the holder a couple weeks ago just to look at it. It still looks brand new.
oh. You're one of THOSE people. Plastic on your couch too? On your carpet in heavy traffic areas?

:)

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
oh. You're one of THOSE people. Plastic on your couch too? On your carpet in heavy traffic areas?

:)

You know it, brutha'.

http://static.flickr.com/1/849413_9f4bb20cc6_m.jpg

Roy Tucker
08-04-2006, 12:13 PM
You mean there are things on the market more modern that my Sony Walkman?

Jeez, I need to get more up to date.

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
You mean there are things on the market more modern that my Sony Walkman?

Jeez, I need to get more up to date.

I just got this one.

http://static.flickr.com/26/112773499_edaccd1ed5_m.jpg

Plays my cassettes flawlessly. :cool:

ochre
08-04-2006, 12:26 PM
what is this cassettes you speak of?

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
what is this cassettes you speak of?

They are these compact little storage units for music. Pretty cool, actually. They're like smaller 8 tracks. You can play them in a car, at home, or if you're lucky, in a portable radio- a boom box.

http://www.michaeljacksonforsale.com/picture/Cassette%20Album%20Thriller%20'Holland'.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bf/Cassetteinternals.jpg/300px-Cassetteinternals.jpg

KronoRed
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I just got this one.

I like the silver and blue..really modern stuff there RL :thumbup:

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 02:55 PM
cassettes

Cass-ettes? Cassettes....nope. No idea what those are.

RFS62
08-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Cass-ettes? Cassettes....nope. No idea what those are.

I'm pretty sure Dell invented them.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure IBM invented them.

Fixed that for ya! ;) :)

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 03:02 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 03:10 PM

How many accessories do they take to use? ;)

By the way, having grown up with .45's and LP's, does anyone else remember thinking there would never be anything cooler than a CD ?

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 03:12 PM
By the way, having grown up with .45's and LP's, does anyone else remember thinking there would never be anything cooler than a CD ?

I thought the only thing that could be cooler would be "mini-CD's". :laugh:

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 03:17 PM
How many accessories do they take to use? ;)

Is there???

ochre
08-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Is there???
Only iPods man. Only iPods.

Red Leader
08-04-2006, 03:34 PM

And with that, I feel like we have some closure in this thread.

The truth has finally be spoken. :laugh:

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 03:45 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BuckU
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Is there???

Then the Laser Disc came along......

and left again before anybody knew what it was.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Did you say Laser?

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

08-05-2006, 02:01 AM
I just got this one.

This is pretty portable, too.