PDA

View Full Version : Freel and baserunning

Dunner44
08-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I haven't been able to watch the last few games, but looking at the box scores, it seems liek Ryan Freel has been less and less effective at stealing bases. tonight alone he's been picked off and caught stealing. What gives? He was very effective at the beginning of the season, but lately it seems as if he's picking up very poorly on pitcher's tendencies or else not reading the scouting reports and getting cocky. What happened to Freel? Because its really killing scoring chances.

goreds2
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Freel makes things happen but a small percentage of time it is in the negative. :(

Ravenlord
08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
up until tonight, i believe all of Freel's caught stealings were pickoffs as opposed to actually being thrown out by the catcher.

Dunner44
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
he's been S 7 times I believe was the stat I saw on gameday, but that could have been the pitcher/catcher's stats, not Freel's. Still, he is picked off far too often in critical situations.

fisch11
08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Picked off seven times on the season. His aggresiveness is a gift and a curse at times, but it usually leads to good things.

CTA513
08-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Freel had a bad game today.

- Gets kneed in the face when he was caught stealing second.
- Fouls off a ball that hits the ground and bounces right back up and hits him in his cup.
- On a 2-2 count the next pitch is a ball and he starts walking to first like he was just walked
- Gets picked off first

:eek:

Johnny Footstool
08-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Of all the things wrong with the Reds, Ryan Freel is about 538th on the list.

roby
08-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Amen, Johnny. Freel is one of the most exciting players that the Reds have. He is constantly making things happen. I'm not sure he was actually out tonight on that stolen base...he was tagged around the knees (sliding headfirst) and i think it looked like his hand was in there.

MWM
08-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Of all the things wrong with the Reds, Ryan Freel is about 538th on the list.

True, but his baserunning gaffes are needless and are hurting the team. And there's been enough of them to say that it's a problem of his and not just random events.