PDA

View Full Version : Reds selling tickets to Cardinals series at half price

alloverjr
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
How embarassing it must be for the organization to know that, currently the Reds are 3.5 games behind the Cards, this team is coming in for a 4 game series next M - R, and they are selling all tickets except for the premium seats at 50% off for all but the give-away game Wednesday. I know there was a write-up in the local paper about the poor attendance giving the position in the standings. This discount was announced tonight I believe.

Is it apathy in Cincy or does no one care? ;)

Redsland
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Just trying to fill the stands. I think it's a great idea.

redsrule2500
08-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Yep, but the Cards have been good for years, the Reds have not.

If we continue to compete, fans will definetly show up in greater numbers on a regular basis.

alloverjr
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM

If we continue to compete, fans will definetly show up in greater numbers on a regular basis.

I definitely think that's the biggest factor. I would think the casual fan would be more inclined to come to the park if there were some history of success, of which they've not had.

And I certainly am not criticizing the front office for trying to fill the stadium, much like an airline would try and fill seats on unpopular flights (which apparently Delta has none :( ). I would feel that management would believe they wouldn't have to do such discounting for a late series with the Cards.

Redsland
08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I would feel that management would believe they wouldn't have to do such discounting for a late series with the Cards.
Ideally.

But if a small promo can fill the seats and generate some energy, then maybe next time they can charge full price and people will be happy to pay it.

:beerme:

Chip R
08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
It is a good idea. I am sure Bob does not want to be embarrassed when only 25,000 show up for a game that has this kind of importance. I am sure he wants to show the Cards owners that his city is a pretty darn good baseball town too. And it does not hurt the players any when there are 35,000 people there cheering for the Reds. Might be that little extra boost they need. It is also a sign of good will too. Give the fans a little break on the expense of going to a game. It is not something you want to do all the time but if you get them in there, as Redsland said, maybe next time they will buy a full price ticket and a full priced hot dog.

penantboundreds
08-03-2006, 12:25 AM
it is so hot in cincinnati it is a tough draw....i am passing free tickets tomorrow night because of the heat

Chip R
08-03-2006, 12:38 AM
It is hot everywhere but that does not stop other teams from drawing better than we are. Gas prices are high here. I understand that too but they are high all over the country and it does not stop other teams from drawing better. People just do not believe yet. Once they do, and if the Reds give them a reason to, they will come no matter if it is 110 in the shade or gas is $4 a gallon.

RANDY IN INDY
08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I'll be there with my son, Matt, on Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon. Anyone else going to be there?

37red
08-03-2006, 08:41 AM
1/2 price, with a big noisy crowd they'll sell more junk food and drinks bringing the money in by selling the extra concessions. If they can hook the crowd with some wins it'll pay off over all and we'll all be happy. Just think of the extra time we'll spend sitting here on Redszone, my old T-shirt is just about worn out and I'll have to buy a new one.

I was reading the Central Standings today, boy are the percentages low. We're only 3 games out and barely over 500..... We're still leading the wild card, that's amazing isn't it, but it gives us a chance to shoot for a play off spot. The series with the Cards could give us that boost and they aren't playing any better than we are so we'll see.

hey jr good to see you on here too!

cumberlandreds
08-03-2006, 08:44 AM
The Dodger announcers were commenting on the low attendance too. They chalked it off as apathy for all the losing seasons. I kinda agree with them. The Reds for quite a few seasons quite frankly didn't try to win. IMO it all goes back to Linder trying to maximize his profit to sell the team. The casual fan saw this and said "if they don't care that they win, why should I?" It will take a lot of effort and wins by this ownership to get all the fans back.

dabvu2498
08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
It is a good idea. I am sure Bob does not want to be embarrassed when only 25,000 show up for a game that has this kind of importance.
I'd say it's gotta be pretty embarassing to have to drop ticket prices and $1 hot dogs just to get people to show up, especially within the business.

Newport Red
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I can remember Marvin Lewis pleading with fans to show up to games his first two years here. The Bengals are now on the upswing and the fans are responding.

If the Reds start winning on a regular basis the next few years, the stands will fill again.

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I think it's a great idea to run a promotion like this.

The former Reds owners turned a lot of Reds fans off. People mention the strike, but I think the 2003 fire sale turned off a lot of people too. The Reds had been telling the fans for years to be patient and they'd be rewarded in 2003. Then they traded off 1/2 the ML team team with that idiot John Allen lying to everyone, saying "We're not throwing in the towel". Think of all those fans that bought tickets in 2003 in advance and then got to see Norton, Hummel, and the rest of that bad squad. That's going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

Thanks to Allen and Lindner, Cast bought an older house that has been neglected for quite some time. It's going to take more than a little bit of paint to make it appealing again.

Having 1/2 price tickets for an important series is a great idea. Hopefully the Reds will put on a good show and the Reds will win some fans back.

37red
08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
7 cardinal games coming up in the next few weeks, wow how this could turn on these games. How can I get these tickets? Really, does anyone know someone that has a handful of good tickets I could buy?

registerthis
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
It is hot everywhere but that does not stop other teams from drawing better than we are.

Of course not, but it doesn't stop the excuses--the heat, traffic, little league soccer tournaments, school plays, company picnics, etc.

All those things that plague Cincinnati but not other cities.

VR
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Perishable commodities....good move.

The Reds laying an egg the last couple of nights may be keeping the fan base from believing. I think most of the fans are waiting for the typical swoon.

westofyou
08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Just trying to fill the stands. I think it's a great idea.
What do you know about marketing... jeeze louise....:mooner:

MartyFan
08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
The stadium can hold 42,059 people for any one game.

The average attendance is around 21,000, right?

Financially it is a wash for the game but it can be a huge boon to the players and to future ticket sales.

Great move by the FO

Chip R
08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Of course not, but it doesn't stop the excuses--the heat, traffic, little league soccer tournaments, school plays, company picnics, etc.

All those things that plague Cincinnati but not other cities.

Yeah, that and people here are so much poorer than any other city in the country that they can't afford to go to games because of the cost.

redsfan30
08-03-2006, 01:04 PM
The average attendance is around 21,000, right?
I believe it's somewhere between 26,000 and 27,000.

RedFanAlways1966
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I believe it's somewhere between 26,000 and 27,000.

Very good! The avg. attendance after 54 home games is 26,243 per game.

The avg. attendance after 53 road games for the REDS is 32,613 per game.

37red
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
66 are you saying that after 50 games it's about 25,000 and after about 100 games it grows to about 32,000? Are you saying that after 50 or so road games the attendance is higher than with the equivalent of home games?

Redsland
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
The second one.

They play in front of more people when they're on the road.

15fan
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
This week at my local Publix, Cheerios are buy one, get one free.

And the Kroger down the street is selling 2 liters of Coke for $1 apiece.

I guees that big grocery chains, General Mills, and Coca-Cola are all desperate, too?

:rolleyes:

CTA513
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM

I guees that big grocery chains, General Mills, and Coca-Cola are all desperate, too?

:beerme:

BoydsOfSummer
08-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I go through the drive-thru last night to pick up something. I have the Reds on the radio so I turn it down to talk to the two guys working. I notice that they are watching the Phillies. So I says "Watching the sorry-ass Phils over the Reds...Whattaya crazy?" His reponse was,"Sick of watching them lose." I says, "You do know they are leading the wild card race and are only 3.5 games back of the division,right?" He sez, "They'll tank it,they always do."

I think there are a whole lot of those kind in and around Cincy,and it helps explain the attendance. Seamheads like us are always committed (and should be committed in certain cases) but we are far outnumbered by that type. I'm positive of it.

Two more weeks and the Reds are still in this position and those like the above will start going to games in herds.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-03-2006, 03:35 PM

That philosophy doesn't hold true elsewhere. The Tigers have been a MLB embarassment for years and now they are selling out simply based on this year's accomplishments. The Reds are doing well NOW - that should translate into tickets sold NOW, not next June.

guttle11
08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
That philosophy doesn't hold true elsewhere. The Tigers have been a MLB embarassment for years and now they are selling out simply based on this year's accomplishments. The Reds are doing well NOW - that should translate into tickets sold NOW, not next June.

You missed his point. Reds fans are still a little uncertain. We're not coming back simply because of a half year of moderate success. The Tigers are an entirely different situation. If we had their record, we'd be filling up the seats.

westofyou
08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
All big attendance surges occur after success. The Tigers are 19th in MLB in attendance and they have the best record in the game, next year they should increase at least 25%. Currently they have 75 K more then the Reds in 4 less games.

guttle11
08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
All big attendance surges occur after success. The Tigers are 19th in MLB in attendance and they have the best record in the game, next year they should increase at least 25%. Currently they have 75 K more then the Reds in 4 less games.

What about say, the last 15 home games? I bet those numbers would show a huge gap.

westofyou
08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
What about say, the last 15 home games? I bet those numbers would show a huge gap.
I'm sure the Tigers attendance jumped around the time the Reds Wings and Pistons vanished and the Tigers proved they were for real. the past 2 months have been their best in years.

Reds4Life
08-03-2006, 03:46 PM
The fact that regular gas jumped 34 cents to $3.15 a gallon in Cincinnati today probably isn't going to help things.

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I says, "You do know they are leading the wild card race and are only 3.5 games back of the division,right?" He sez, "They'll tank it,they always do."

And this is the crux of the matter IMO. So many years of loosing, or showing a quick spark and falling apart means that barely 5 months of good, but not great, baseball isn't going to suddenly make people believe.

Why, some here amoungst us at RZ have been forcasting the "tank" at various times since late May. Why do you think casual fans would be any different?

The issue isn't the cost of the games, the food, gas prices or it's hot. People have allocated their entertainment dollars elswhere until they see that the Reds will provide more value than golfing, boating, movies, etc. And to erase so many years of misery takes more than a few months.

Frankly, with the way the attendence has been going I think this is a brilliant move. If those tickets would not have been sold the Reds get $0. So any additional tickets that sell at 1/2 price represent income the Reds would not have recieved at all.

And having more people in the stands, selling more food, and having "energy" in the stands is always a good thing.

oregonred
08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Hovering a few games over .500 isn't going to blow down the ticket counters. The weekday crowds have improved a bit since the AS Break (Mets/Dodgers) around the 25-26K/night which is at least respectable.

Saturday seems to be the only day the Reds draw big anymore. Why have the recent Friday crowds been so bad -- both Colorado and Milwaukee games were around the 20K mark -- granted neither of those two teams have any material interest whatsoever by 99% of Reds fans. Also the Sun afternoon games seem to have been bad for years since they moved to the earlier 1:05 starts. Seems rare the Reds find 30K on a Sunday afternoon which is much different than what I used to remember when the Sun games were big family draws.

A lot of teams make their gate hay on the weekends with 100K+ over 3 games expected to amke up for the 20-25K weekday gates.

GAC
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
It's not indifference or apathy that is the driving force behind it. And Chip brought up some good reasons as to why.

I've got a friend bringing his kids down for the series, and didn't realize when he bought his tickets that they were half price. He was coming down regardless.

But he, or anyone else, is sure not gonna complain about cheaper tickets.

Was it apathy when Marge kept ticket prices low and did various other marketing gimmicks?

Matt700wlw
08-03-2006, 08:42 PM
It's a great deal, and a great idea.

Bob's a good business man.

I would hope that place would be filled next week anyway for the biggest series of the season.

cincinnati chili
08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I can't believe people are whining about this. No good deed goes unpunished.

alloverjr
08-04-2006, 12:08 AM
I can't believe people are whining about this. No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't know that anyone was whining about discounted tickets. I'll be curious to see how many tickets are purchased after the announcement. This should give an indication of whether folks don't care about the team, it's strickly a financial decision, or maybe more accurately a little bit of both.

And this is hardly a good deed. A business decision to get butts in the park and hopefully generate a buzz for a series with the Cards that obviously to date was not doing so. If 15k tickets were given to the Boys/Girls club, THAT would have been a good deed.

cincinnati chili
08-04-2006, 02:02 AM
I don't know that anyone was whining about discounted tickets. I'll be curious to see how many tickets are purchased after the announcement. This should give an indication of whether folks don't care about the team, it's strickly a financial decision, or maybe more accurately a little bit of both.

And this is hardly a good deed. A business decision to get butts in the park and hopefully generate a buzz for a series with the Cards that obviously to date was not doing so. If 15k tickets were given to the Boys/Girls club, THAT would have been a good deed.

Wrong and wrong.

1. Your first post derided the decision to reduce ticket prices. You implied it was an embarrassment. That's whining. I'm a shade to the cynical side myself, but you will never find me complaining about Bob Cast reducing ticket prices. Every time the Reds raise tix, this board lights up with complaints. So now they reduce tix. People mock it. I guess the Reds can't win.

2. Of course it is a good deed. Sure it would be a BETTER deed if RCast gave them away for free. It would be an even better deed if RCast strapped on a bazooka, barged into downtown Mogadishu and freed Somali children from the wrath of warlords.

There is one group and one group only that has an arguably legit gripe about this decision: season ticket holders. If I'm a season ticket holder (in non-premium seat) and I don't get the refund that the one-timers are getting, I'm not so jazzed about it.

westofyou
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
It would be an even better deed if RCast strapped on a bazooka, barged into downtown Mogadishu and freed Somali children from the wrath of warlords.

That would skyrocket his VORO (Value Over Replacement Owner)

CrackerJack
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Lower the cost of beer, and they will come.

GAC
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Yeah. Chip and I have already paid Dunn's salary through 2008! And then the guy has the audacity to only hit Hrs while I'm standing in line in the bathroom giving the beer back! :lol:

Virginia Beach Reds
08-04-2006, 11:15 PM

I work downtown.

I talked about 10 of us to walk over to the game on Tuesday. Everyone was so excited that dogs were $1 (dinner) and tickets half price.

someone asked what was the price for beer.

I said, $13 (double). Everyone laughed.

I agree, it is expensive, but that is a deterent to silly people who have a budget.

the consensus downtown is that the concessions are little overpriced and the homeless and those that are saying they are homeless are too clingly around the park. Why can't the heat get on these guys banging the silly cans or holding the signs and drive them away from the vicinity?

end rant.

I love the idea for the Cards series.

TeamBoone
08-04-2006, 11:21 PM
the consensus downtown is that the concessions are little overpriced and the homeless and those that are saying they are homeless are too clingly around the park. Why can't the heat get on these guys banging the silly cans or holding the signs and drive them away from the vicinity?

I don't know where they get the idea that those homeless guys are too clingy.

I see about three, possibly four, of the same faces every game and they have NEVER approached me or anyone else that I've been around. They sit on the edge of the sidewalk with their signs and a cup and don't say or do squat.

PS - I've never seen anyone banging on cans either. Though if your talking about the Bucket Boys, they are not homeless nor are their performances "silly" because they are awesome!!! They keep half the money they earn and the other half goes to a charity whose name I can not remember at the moment. They have appeared on TV and often play special events.

MWM
08-04-2006, 11:25 PM

That company doesn't know anything about marketing :evil:

westofyou
08-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Why can't the heat get on these guys banging the silly cans or holding the signs and drive them away from the vicinity?

Because it's a real city with homeless and folks just like the type that pound on cans to make a little jack?

Not everyplace is a clean refuge from reality.

edabbs44
08-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree that it is a little embarrassing that this has to be done for the Cards series. If the Brewers were in town, ok. But not a battle for first.

I wonder if those same fans who refuse to go now (b/c of past meltdowns) would be happy to go to a playoff game if they make it. I already told my wife we're flying out if they make it. Of course, if they make it and play the Mets, I'll probably be at Shea and might not make it out alive...

butlerbulldogs
08-06-2006, 09:28 AM
i've been in san diego the last week, how long is the $1 hot dog deal and half-price tickets?

creek14
08-06-2006, 09:44 AM

Actually the big chains are desperate. I have a friend (hard to believe, I know) who is in management at Kroger and they do all that kind of stuff to pull people back from the clutches of the devil (Super Wal-Mart).

redsmetz
08-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I think in some ways we're in a unique season. The club is playing well after five season of abysmal play. That makes fans skittish. Top that with the Bengals having improved their product and the Reds were looking a little lackluster. [As an aside, I think the recent Bengals visit to the Reds warmups was a great publicity event and ought to become an annual thing. A little roadtrip to Georgetown wouldn't hurt either, but I'm don't know how the logistics of that would work}

I think the high cost of fuel is really, really hurting a club like the Reds who MUST draw from the region to do well. It is not easy for a family to pay $50-$100 in gas for something discretionary like the Reds.

Keep in mind the Reds did this for the Monday & Tuesday games, which are probably weak draws anyway (bad nights anyway - who in the heck is scheduling the Cards on a weekday here??? - MLB, wake up!). Plus, they did this last minute, so they've got their full price tickets sold for the St. Louis fans who make the trek to Cincy for these series.

When I went down and bought our tickets, there were lines three to six people deep and that was that way the whole time I was there (I went inside to buy some group tickets too).

Chip R
08-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I think in some ways we're in a unique season. The club is playing well after five season of abysmal play. That makes fans skittish. Top that with the Bengals having improved their product and the Reds were looking a little lackluster. [As an aside, I think the recent Bengals visit to the Reds warmups was a great publicity event and ought to become an annual thing. A little roadtrip to Georgetown wouldn't hurt either, but I'm don't know how the logistics of that would work}

I think the high cost of fuel is really, really hurting a club like the Reds who MUST draw from the region to do well. It is not easy for a family to pay $50-$100 in gas for something discretionary like the Reds.

Funny you should mention the Bengals practicing in Georgetown and the price of gas all in one post. Georgetown is what, about an hour or so away from Cincinnati? Farther that that if you live in the eastern, northern or western suburbs or Indiana. And from what I hear they are drawing record crowds for practices and scrimmages. Now these practices and scrimmages are important to getting the team in shape but they are not part of the regular season. They are not even part of the exhibition season. But people are buying $3 gas and trekking 100 or so miles to see the Bengals practice. But they will not go see the Reds play real, significant games because of the high gas prices?

wheels
08-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Well....I just bought myself a diamond seat for monday.

I figured I was going down by myself, so I'd splurge.

No need for half priced seats, because I am a fancy, fancy man.

redsfan30
08-06-2006, 12:18 PM

When did they make the premium seats half price???

wheels
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
When did they make the premium seats half price???

They aren't.

I'm just fancy.

ochre
08-06-2006, 12:36 PM

You aren't taking Tom Lawless Fan? You guys really seemed to hit it off at the mini-gathering for the All Star Game.

wheels
08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
You aren't taking Tom Lawless Fan? You guys really seemed to hit it off at the mini-gathering for the All Star Game.

:D

It's a bit too long of a drive home for him.

I tend to behave a bit more when I have to drive long distances.

KittyDuran
08-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Funny you should mention the Bengals practicing in Georgetown and the price of gas all in one post. Georgetown is what, about an hour or so away from Cincinnati? Farther that that if you live in the eastern, northern or western suburbs or Indiana. And from what I hear they are drawing record crowds for practices and scrimmages. Now these practices and scrimmages are important to getting the team in shape but they are not part of the regular season. They are not even part of the exhibition season. But people are buying $3 gas and trekking 100 or so miles to see the Bengals practice. But they will not go see the Reds play real, significant games because of the high gas prices?Plus, IIRC it's also $15 for parking...

dabvu2498
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Plus, IIRC it's also $15 for parking...
You can find a place to park your car for nothing, but it's a bit of a hike to the training facility.

westofyou
08-07-2006, 11:40 AM
And from what I hear they are drawing record crowds for practices and scrimmages. Wow.... I'd rather watch my toenails grow then a football practice.

MartyFan
08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Wow.... I'd rather watch my toenails grow then a football practice.

I'm with you. Of course I don't really care for football either but I know I am in the minority.

When I was a kid we would go camping in Wilmington, OH during Bengals training camp...we would go out to the college and sit around watching these guys with everyone else.

After the players were done we got autographs from them...Bob Trumpie (spelling?) Archie Griffin, Ray Griffin, etc....ALL OF THEM WERE VERY NICE...when I came home I sold the autographs to my neighbors for as much as $10 each.

So I guess I got paid to watch a football practice...but it was horrible.

westofyou
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Of course I don't really care for football either but I know I am in the minority.And nice place it is... the minority that is.

Big Klu
08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I go through the drive-thru last night to pick up something. I have the Reds on the radio so I turn it down to talk to the two guys working. I notice that they are watching the Phillies. So I says "Watching the sorry-ass Phils over the Reds...Whattaya crazy?" His reponse was,"Sick of watching them lose." I says, "You do know they are leading the wild card race and are only 3.5 games back of the division,right?" He sez, "They'll tank it,they always do."

I think there are a whole lot of those kind in and around Cincy,and it helps explain the attendance. Seamheads like us are always committed (and should be committed in certain cases) but we are far outnumbered by that type. I'm positive of it.

Two more weeks and the Reds are still in this position and those like the above will start going to games in herds.

And they will be pounding their chests and saying, "We knew it all along!"