PDA

View Full Version : Olmedo should at least get a shot at some point

cincrazy
08-03-2006, 12:56 AM
I guess Olmedo doesn't rank too high in the eyes of this current regime. With Lopez gone, and nothing but Castro and Clayton filling shortstop, I would like to see Olmedo at least get a shot at some point. He's been hitting well in AAA, and the guy's a pretty good fielder, so why not? We no what we get with Castro and Clayton, but maybe Olmedo could surprise us? I know I'm desperate here...

kheidg-
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Considering the alternatives, IMO it definitely should be worth a shot. However, that likely won't happen barring an injury to Castro/Clayton.

redsupport
08-03-2006, 01:03 AM
this regime loves mediocre "veterans" losers who have experience

dabvu2498
08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
this regime loves mediocre "veterans" losers who have experience
"Losers" may be a little too strong. I doubt if the guys who played in the World Series with Aurilia think he is a loser.

Heath
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
"Losers" may be a little too strong. I doubt if the guys who played in the World Series with Aurilia think he is a loser.

I kinda forgot about the 2002 Giants and the run they made in spite of Dusty Baker. I remember Ryan Jensen thinking he was going to be decent, and I think he's in Omaha this year.

cincy09
08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I would love to see Ray Ray with the big club. Might get a shot out of spring training next year, but will not see any time this year other than Sept callup to pinch run.

M2
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
If things don't go so well between now and 9/3 when the team wraps its west coast swing in San Diego, I assume Olmedo will be the starting SS for the bulk of September.

oneupper
08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
BP should be the SS. Try THAT first, then Olmedo.

Joseph
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Couldn't agree more. He's hitting and fielding well in AAA. Maybe he doesn't have the tools, but it's all the same criteria that got Denorfia such a bandwagon of fans and the shot up here.....even though he's just a water boy at present.

fielder's choice
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Olmedo > Clayton

BRM
08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
BP should be the SS. Try THAT first, then Olmedo.

I could live with that. BP at SS and Olmedo at 2B perhaps? Let's hope things are still going well at the end of August and this is a moot point anyway.

flyer85
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm still worried that they may try and do something like trade for Jack Wilson, especially since the Pirates were giving guys away for nothing.

I would have rather had Wells than Lohse.

justincredible
08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Ranier has done well for us this year in his limited at bats. I would much rather see him out there than Clayton.

boognish
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm still worried that they may try and do something like trade for Jack Wilson, especially since the Pirates were giving guys away for nothing.

I would have rather had Wells than Lohse.

At least Wilson's defense is actual over the theoretical leather Clayton brings. Not that I want Wilson; that contract is ugly.

On Olmedo, in my opinion, it still boils down to whether Bowden asked us if we would take on Clayton, or if Krivs thought Clayton was a piece with value that strengthened the return in the trade. I'm hoping Clayton bucks 16 seasons and 10 teams of history and plays well, but if Krivsky asked after Clayton when a case could easily be made that Olmedo has a better glove and stick, then that to me raises serious questions regarding the talent eval in this front office. At this point I think it is legitimate to question whether Ray will get a real chance (assuming M2's scenario of the Reds falling out of it doesn't come to pass, of course)...but the good news for him is that his only impediment at shortstop is Brandon Phillips, who is playing another position. ;)

That said, I do wish to say I like how WK has overhauled the roster--most of my quibbles are relatively minor--and I think once he finishes turning over the dead weight in the front office we will be able to produce (and TRUST) our own home-grown talent.

oneupper
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
What's the consensus on Olmedo's glove?
I think he can hit a little (and is a SH, IIRC)...can he pick?
Any Bats fans out there?