PDA

View Full Version : Why I won't be going to any games next week

Hoosier Red
08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
A couple of things before to understand before I start my story;

1. My wife hates baseball. She's really not a fan of any sports, but baseball is especially galling due to the every day action.

2. My wife had gone on a last "big vacation" She had just finished her MBA and is starting Law school in the fall so this was her last big hoorah. She's been in Europe for the entire summer. Allowing me to watch as much baseball as I can handle all summer.

So my brother and I were planning on going to the game this Saturday but I had to work. My comp time gave me yesterday afternoon off. So I decided to go to last nights game.
At about 8:15 in the midst of Elizardo's meltdown, I get a call on my cell phone. The phone number is from my house which is weird to me.

Wouldn't you know on the other side of the line is my wife. Who flew home 11 days early to surprise me.

The surprise worked.

So after I bust tail the whole way home, I realize my wife took a plane 10,000 miles and cut short a vacation to surprise me and I was at a Baseball game.

I don't think I'll see another game live for a long time.

Redsland
08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
So after I bust tail the whole way home, I realize my wife took a plane 10,000 miles and cut short a vacation to surprise me and I was at a Baseball game.

I don't think I'll see another game live for a long time.
In that case, it's a good thing you weren't at a "gentlemen's club."

;)

oneupper
08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Wouldn't you know on the other side of the line is my wife. Who flew home 11 days early to surprise me.

The surprise worked.

Couple of things:

1) Thank goodness you were at a baseball game and not somewhere else. IT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE.
2) Your wife has serious control issues and doesn't trust you much. Why cut a vacation 11 days short?
3) Its only like 5000 miles to Europe.

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, I hope your joking around.. Surely she wasn't mad that you weren't home when she came home unexpectedly?

You should've told her you already bought tix to this week's game, therefore you have to go :)

Hoosier Red
08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
No she wasn't really mad. And she came home mainly because she felt it was time. Not because she doesn't trust me.

It's not really an anger thing as much as will never go to a Reds game again without hearing about it thing.

All in good fun.

oneupper
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Just hope you gave her a very warm welcome :evil:

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
No she wasn't really mad. And she came home mainly because she felt it was time. Not because she doesn't trust me.

It's not really an anger thing as much as will never go to a Reds game again without hearing about it thing.

All in good fun.

That's what I figured :)

Although I think you need to photoshop yourself into some wild pictures to show here what you did the rest of the time she was gone :laugh:

KronoRed
08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
That was sweet of her :D

redsmetz
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Just hope you gave her a very warm welcome :evil:

:jump:

I don't know this situation lends itself to so many double-entendres and the whole baseball analogy thing, that we'll just leave it to that one image.

Oh, and does this mean you have tickets available??? :D

Joseph
08-03-2006, 03:12 PM
So explain to me how you didn't have to go to Europe as well.....I'm confused. :)

flyer85
08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
The word "whipped" comes to mind. :D

Hoosier Red
08-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Well I was working. (The problem of not being in school perpetually.)
and yes whipped does come into play here.

At least I hung around long enough to see Jr.'s home run.

Joseph
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
So you didn't go to Europe because you are whipped? I'd like to not have to do things too, how does one attain this 'whipped' status?

flyer85
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
At least I hung around long enough to see Jr.'s home run.:laugh: classic.

You need to turn her to the dark side. :starwars:

KoryMac5
08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Well it was a nice of her to cut her trip short. My wife doesn't like baseball or sports that much either. Knowing how much I like them she has started to learn a thing or two about the games and will even watch an inning or two with me. Hopefully your wife might become a casual fan.

15fan
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Hoosier -

If she really loved you, she would have come down to the stadium to see you.

Let me know how it goes after you tell her that. ;)

oneupper
08-03-2006, 06:04 PM
So you didn't go to Europe because you are whipped? I'd like to not have to do things too, how does one attain this 'whipped' status?

If you don't know...you probably are :evil:

EX BRAVEDAD
08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Its time to get a new wife doesnt like baseball come on give her a round trip ticket back and go watch the rest of the games

Joseph
08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
If you don't know...you probably are :evil:

Oh I am believe me. Fortunately she loves the Reds too.

I'm just baffled by not being forced to go to Europre actually.

macro
08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh, and does this mean you have tickets available??? :D

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

:lol:

George Foster
08-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Your wife has real control issues. If you love your spouse, you want them to be happy. Going to 5-6 games a year, and watching them on TV is not a lot to ask. I mean everything in moderation. Your wife would have a point if you were going to every single game, but your not, and from what you said, there are no children involved.

If you did not want her to go to Europe for a month, and spend all that money, would she have not gone? Doubt it. She would have told you to get over it.

Tell her to get over it. You watch the Reds. She knew that before she married you. If she gets pissed, so be it. If she can't get over it, you need counceling. I mean it. You should not be the one to ALWAYS give in. What is she "giving in" to you?

I'm not trying to be a "know-it-all' but my wife and I have a good marriage. She lets me play golf twice a week, and watch the Reds in the summer. That is what I love to do and she wants me to be happy.

She loves to go shopping and decorate the house. She spends more money than I want her too but hey...that makes her happy. It is a give and take relationship. It sounds like your doing all the giving and she is doing all the taking. This will build up and build up to the point that you will not be able to take it anymore.

We are in a race for the division...go to the game and have a good time. Let the chips fall were they may. You will respect yourself more.

TeamCasey
08-05-2006, 08:24 AM
You guys are weird.

I think it's nice that Hoosier's wife missed him and tried to surprise him.

I think it's sweet that Hoosier left the game to go home and hit his own homerun. :)

KronoRed
08-05-2006, 03:43 PM
You guys are weird.

I think it's nice that Hoosier's wife missed him and tried to surprise him.

I think it's sweet that Hoosier left the game to go home and hit his own homerun. :)
Agreed.

It's just a baseball game :D

wheels
08-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Don't get me started.

I've just ended a long relationship that I thought would become a marriage. She ripped baseball and my love of it at every turn. Now that it's over, I feel like I've just been paroled.

When someone that you love and respect looks down on the things that make you happy, it becomes more than just a hobby.

It becomes the last shred of yourself, and you want to hold onto that with a death grip.

When the relationship's over, it becomes the first thing you can do to get some of yourself back.

It's not just about the game, it's about identity.