PDA

View Full Version : Offense? Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness

EKURed
08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
It definitely appears the Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness. This offense is simply brutal to watch right now, which makes the big trade look more and more questionable. There are simply too many outs in the lineup as it stands currently

The Reds need to add some type of dynamic offensive player via trade or free agency in the offseason. Who would have ever thought that with all of the pitching questions the Reds have had over the past several seasons?

redlegs7089
08-03-2006, 10:52 PM
well i think this is ourl last chance, and maddux might no hit us

redlegs7089
08-03-2006, 10:55 PM
they cant postpone can they since they got more at bats that we did

macro
08-04-2006, 12:15 AM
they cant postpone can they since they got more at bats that we did

This is a mute point for tonight, but as long as the go-ahead run wasn't scored in that extra at-bat, they can call it. The Dodgers led at the end of the last completed inning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RedEye
08-04-2006, 01:21 AM
It definitely appears the Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness. This offense is simply brutal to watch right now, which makes the big trade look more and more questionable. There are simply too many outs in the lineup as it stands currently

The Reds need to add some type of dynamic offensive player via trade or free agency in the offseason. Who would have ever thought that with all of the pitching questions the Reds have had over the past several seasons?

This is just how I feel. And the worst part is that I don't really think the pitching is that much better either. So basically we took our biggest strength and then sapped it in order to... keep our weakness the same. Painful, painful reality is setting in now, and it makes me feel sick.

Sea Ray
08-04-2006, 01:27 AM
They look like they're sleep walking right now but they're not as bad offensively as they look now. They actually were fine right after the trade. Getting Freel into this lineup hasn't hurt them. Sure Clayton is a dropoff from Lopez but Felipe was not the offensive force he was last year either.

They've just got to shake this slump. This year is reminding me of the late 80s Pete Rose managed teams. Those guys would fall out of it in August and the offense shut down. As the dust settled they finished a distant 2nd. That might be this year's fate. However with the league's mediocrity, they may stay in this thing regardless.

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 01:36 AM
This year is reminding me of the late 80s Pete Rose managed teams. Those guys would fall out of it in August and the offense shut down..

bro it happened all the time in the 90's too

Brutus
08-04-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm not convinced it's a glaring weakness any more than just a slump.

Even when Kearns and Lopez were there, I recall a few stretches where the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It's too early to say whether this is the result of a depleted offense or the team simply can't catch a cold right now - let alone catching a break or catching fire.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2006, 01:48 AM
bro it happened all the time in the 90's too

30 years. 3 playoff appearances.

It's happened too many times.

They went from the Big Red Machine to one of the the bottom 10 organizations in all of baseball.

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 01:56 AM
30 years. 3 playoff appearances.

It's happened too many times.

They went from the Big Red Machine to one of the the bottom 10 organizations in all of baseball.

the curse of Paul ONeill..he won one with the reds, left and won how many with the yanks?

Kc61
08-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I think the offense is weaker with Kearns, Lopez and WMP gone. I don't think there is any doubt about it. The slump will end, but the team does not have as much firepower.

If the pitching and defense continue to improve, I still think the Reds will be a better balanced team and win many more games. I do think there has been much better pitching under Krivsky and somewhat better defense.

The problem (other than the current hitting slump) is that right now the overall talent level is just average. The team is about .500 in a weak NL. Improvement is needed in almost all areas.

But the basic concept of emphasizing pitching and defense, and being less concerned with offensive power, makes sense. I think over time this approach will lead to contending seasons.

buckeyenut
08-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Why has the offense been so bad?
Jr has performed like a 6 hitter rather than a 3 hitter.
Freel and Aurillia and Phillips are hot and cold.
Encarnacion is over his head.
Clayton is horrid. And our management is not willing to make a position change in the middle of the season.

I'd love to see us move to a lineup like this. I think it can be successful but I also don't think we will see it.

vs RHP
Freel 2B
Hatteberg 1B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Ross C
Phillips SS
Denorfia CF

vs LHP
Freel 2B
Denorfia CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Aurillia 1B
Ross C
Phillips SS

Thing for me is, where would we upgrade the bats? OF for Denorfia is a possibility in that lineup, but if we have Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS, I don't see a big need for upgrades. We just need Jr to start swinging the bat.

redsmetz
08-04-2006, 07:14 AM

Even when Kearns and Lopez were there, I recall a few stretches where the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It's too early to say whether this is the result of a depleted offense or the team simply can't catch a cold right now - let alone catching a break or catching fire.

I have to agree with you. The series of games they played immediately after the trade showed this team could win. In the nine games after the trade, we scored six or more runs five times. We were 7-2. I don't know the team average during that time, but I'm guessing it was pretty good too.

We are in a collective funk and need a little bit of luck in putting together some hits to win some ballgames here.

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
If you buy into the theroy that we lost the last 3 games because AK and Lopez's bats were gone that means you also have to buy into the theroy that the Reds offense was a consistent run producer that never got streaky before the trade.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Our offense was like this with Kearns and Lopez in the lineup too. We would go series' where we couldnt hit or score anything.I hope we come around for this Braves series or we could be trailing the wildcard by 2 games, ouch.

I say stick back to the lineup where Dunn is batting second and just add David Ross in there as much as you can. But I dont think Narron likes giving LaRue limited playing time.

reds1869
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
If Narron wants Aurilia to play so much, why not play him at SS with EE at third and Clayton on the bench? Aurilia is much better with the glove than Royce and certainly hits better. Just because you picked up a has been vet in a trade doesn't mean he has to start every night.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Cuz Aurilia's range is bad at short. I would like Narron to put this lineup out there though one night and see how much better our offense is.

ChatterRed
08-04-2006, 09:03 AM
There is no more streaky of a hitter than Kearns and Lopez.

Griffey is the problem. His slump is giving no protection to the other hitters in the lineup.

RedFanAlways1966
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Is this all a knee-jerk reaction to a string of bad games? Let us take a look at the month of May during this season. A month in which the REDS were a powerhouse offense team with Felipe at shortstop and Austin in RF.

MAY 2006
* The REDS play 28 games. They go 12-16.
* The REDS average only 4.22 runs per game.
* The REDS score 3 or less runs in 16 games (57.1% of the time).
* The starting pitching has an ERA of 3.68 in the month... but have a crappy record of 7-14. 14 quality starts... 6-8 record as a team in those games!
* The entire pitching staff has their lowest ERA for a month since May 2004 at 4.18 (more than 1/2 a run lower than any other month this year!)... but the team goes 12-16.
* May 12-17. REDS lose 5 in a row. Score 10 runs in those 5 games.
* May 24-30. REDS lose 5 of 6. Score 8 runs in the 5 losses.

Did the offense get weakened when FeLo and AK were traded? Sure it did. Is it the reason that the team has lost 5 in a row? Definitely not. Do most teams go through a bad week now and then? Most do.

Something else hurting, along w/ the offense, during the last 5 games:
* Starting pitching: 29.1 IP, 40 H, 19 ER, 5.83 ERA.

REDREAD
08-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I think the offense is weaker with Kearns, Lopez and WMP gone. I don't think there is any doubt about it. The slump will end, but the team does not have as much firepower.

Yes, I think that is key. We lost a good bit of power with Lopez and Kearns.
Freel is a nice OBP guy, but the loss of power makes it difficult to come back when you're down 2-0 or 3-0. It seems as though there's a lot of innings where Freel/Hatteberg/Aurillia get on, but then get stranded.

flyer85
08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
offensive slump, don't know what else to say other than the team is more dependent on production from Jr/Dunn than they were previously. Maybe this will be the impetus for Naroon to put his best offensive lineup on the field everyday.

UK Reds Fan
08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
When you #3 hitter is OPSing below 800, you'll struggle.

Kearns and Lopez aren't the problem, we need to get Griffey to the 6 hole and be done with it.

Also, defensively, it is counter intuitive to play Freel in RF vs. Griff in C.

It is ridiculous to discuss Kearns laziness and stuborness, when Griff is non willing to shorten his stroke to punch the ball the other way on that drastic of a shift that he sees. It is nearly impossible to consistently hit thru kind of shift day in vs. day out.

But hey, if it makes so many happy to argue Aurillia vs. EE and Kearns/Lopez vs. Clayton, etc...then so be it. But the issue is in the center of team that is why we'll struggle the way we do at times.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 10:58 AM
When you #3 hitter is OPSing below 800, you'll struggle.

Kearns and Lopez aren't the problem, we need to get Griffey to the 6 hole and be done with it.

Also, defensively, it is counter intuitive to play Freel in RF vs. Griff in C.

It is ridiculous to discuss Kearns laziness and stuborness, when Griff is non willing to shorten his stroke to punch the ball the other way on that drastic of a shift that he sees. It is nearly impossible to consistently hit thru kind of shift day in vs. day out.

But hey, if it makes so many happy to argue Aurillia vs. EE and Kearns/Lopez vs. Clayton, etc...then so be it. But the issue is in the center of team that is why we'll struggle the way we do at times.
Then Dunn struggles more.

Kc61
08-04-2006, 11:02 AM
One problem offensively is that, earlier in the year, Phillips and Ross were red hot and really producing runs from the bottom of the lineup. Phillips has cooled off and Ross was hurt and only plays sporadically. With Phillips, the catcher, Clayton and the pitcher at the bottom, the offense is now concentrated on spots 1-5.

Hatteberg is holding up his end, but is basically a singles and walks guy. EE, Aurilia, and Freel have been ok but at this stage are complimentary offensive players.

So the pressure is all on Dunn and Griffey to lead the offense. They both have to hit.

In the off-season, this team should be looking for new players in centerfield (Griff hopefully moving to right) and a middle infielder to go with Phillips. Hopefully, these new guys will hit as well as field.

REDREAD
08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Jr has struggled a lot of late, but the problem goes beyond him. During this five game losing streak, we lost the 5 games by 15 runs.. Only one of those games was a 1 run loss.

Even if Jr was hitting like last year, he's not going to produce 15 runs by himself in 5 games.

Always Red
08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm not one to believe that this team has fallen apart just because Lopez and Kearns are not playing for it anymore. Not to take anything away from those 2, because they are both above average players. But we weren't going anywhere with them and the bullpen its sorry state prior to the ASG.

They've just hit a rough patch, as pointed out above. Small sample size over the last 5 games. It's a shame actually, because they've had good pitching the last 2 games, anyway. Anytime you waste an effort from Uncle Milty like last nights is an opportunity lost, in my book.

There's no help out there on the horizon. The guys have to start having better AB's, and doing whatever it takes to get on base. HR's are nice, but three of them Wed night were of no use.

Freel will wear down playing everyday in RF; it's part of his proven track record. I'd like to see Denorfia in there more often- why is Deno so severely penalized for his brain cramp in RF, and Freel is not for his own? I know, I know, steely-eyed veteran vs. rookie.

With the loss of the 2 bats of Kearns and Lopez, the others have to step up, it's just that simple. It's no longer a luxury and surprise for Junior to be playing well, this team needs for him to step up, show some veteran leadership, and carry the load for a while.

Here's something to consider: when this team lost Barry Larkin and Sean Casey, it lost a lot of veteran leadership. I know their skills were both in decline, Larkin because he was at the end of a fine career, and Casey, I don't know why his hitting skills seemed to come and go (I have never rooted and wished harder for a Reds player to do well, because he is such a great guy).

This team needs internal leadership, from a vet who has been there and done that. All is not lost, yet. There is still time to right the ship, but the ship is beginning to flounder a bit. Someone needs to step up, Junior (hint, hint;) )

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Its just fundamentals which makes the Red sickening to watch sometimes. We will be down 3 runs and man on 1st with a 2-0 count. Instead of our player taking the pitch to possibly get a walk they will swing 75% of the time(exception Hatteberg). Just stuff like this has to stop when we head into this stretch of games from here on out.

westofyou
08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Jr has struggled a lot of late,
All year, all freaking year.

Even if Jr was hitting like last year, he's not going to produce 15 runs by himself in 5 games.

.78 points below his ob% last year, he's .38 below his alltime low that came in 1989.

That's killing this team, destroying the heart of the order, more than Aurilia, more then the trade, more then Phillips or Clayton.

M2
08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
It's important to remember that we're now officially in the dog days of summer.

Traditionally offenses wear down under the summer heat and it's been a particularly hot summer across the country. So, in addition to trading away two productive players and problems in the heart of the lineup, the Reds also are contending with the fatigue that comes with a long, hot summer. They probably would have scored less even if Kearns and Lopez stayed around, though having an extra guy in the lineup capable of taking a hero turn on a given night certainly wouldn't have hurt.

dieselman44
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
What would you rather see: Our offense struggle to score runs or our bullpen give up the lead in the late innings?

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 11:50 AM
What would you rather see: Our offense struggle to score runs or our bullpen give up the lead in the late innings?
Good teams do neither:cool:

Always Red
08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd rather win 3-2 than lose 11-10.

....but then again, I'd rather win 11-10 than lose 2-1;)

OK, I've decided. I'd just rather win 11-2!

(can I have my cake and eat it, too??)

REDREAD
08-04-2006, 12:00 PM
All year, all freaking year.

.78 points below his ob% last year, he's .38 below his alltime low that came in 1989.

That's killing this team, destroying the heart of the order, more than Aurilia, more then the trade, more then Phillips or Clayton.

My point is that even if Jr was hitting like last year, we probably still lose at least 4 of the last 5. Yes, he's struggled, but so has the rest of the lineup of late (and the rest of the team for the most part). Not fair to pin this entire slide on Jr. Not saying you are, but he seems to be one of the main whipping boys as the Reds fade out.

People yell to dump Jr's contract because he's 37, but then they still expect him to perform at an allstar level since he's a Red.

ChatterRed
08-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Is this all a knee-jerk reaction to a string of bad games? Let us take a look at the month of May during this season. A month in which the REDS were a powerhouse offense team with Felipe at shortstop and Austin in RF.

MAY 2006
* The starting pitching has an ERA of 3.68 in the month... but have a crappy record of 7-14. 14 quality starts... 6-8 record as a team in those games!
* The entire pitching staff has their lowest ERA for a month since May 2004 at 4.18 (more than 1/2 a run lower than any other month this year!)... but the team goes 12-16.

Did the offense get weakened when FeLo and AK were traded? Sure it did. Is it the reason that the team has lost 5 in a row? Definitely not. Do most teams go through a bad week now and then? Most do.

Very good post.

I agree. Slumps are inevitable for every team. Even the mighty White Sox, Yankees and Pujols lead Cards have had slumps.

You can't ignore that the bullpen is much improved. You also have to hand it to Milton for putting together a pretty decent string of quality starts, not to mention while pitching at GABP (the launching pad).

Griffey is hurting this team right now. I don't want him to press.......but he needs to come out of it soon.

EddieMilner
08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Let me preface this with I am a Griffey fan...

But why have the Reds management allowed a player's (a future HOF) ego become more important than the success of the team.

Do you think that if Jose Guillen was running this team, and Griffey was slumping like this, he would be batting 3rd? Hell, would he even be in the lineup?

Griffey should be moved to 6th until he can get out of this funk.

Furthermore, in the offseason the reds need to get a Centerfielder and move Griffey to Right. If he doesn't like it, then he can collect his paycheck from the bench.

Griffey is a great player, but his ego is not more important than the success of this team. And the FO needs to stand up to him and show that the club's performance is the most important thing.

westofyou
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Not saying you are, but he seems to be one of the main whipping boys as the Reds fade out.

Do you have any idea how bad a year he is having? He's essentialy Pena without the the speed. He's killing the team in the middle of the order.

No spin can change that.

but then they still expect him to perform at an allstar level since he's a Red.

All Star level?

How about league average?

.291 OB%... guys get DFA'd for that.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 12:27 PM
If Griffey bats 6th then where does Dunn bat, 5th? Because most of Dunn's success in July came from batting in front of Griffey. So if we do that we have a problem in the #3 spot.

1. Freel
2. Hatteberg
3. ???? Narron is not moving Ross into #3, plus he doesnt start enough neways
4. EE or Rich
5.Dunn
6. Griff
7. Ross
8.Clayton

You could put Phillips as #2 and Hatteberg as #3 but I wouldnt recommend that.

registerthis
08-04-2006, 12:27 PM

I'm not convinced that we've solved either of those problems.

Outside of Guardado, none of the recent BP acquisitions have been lights-out. Although performed well working out of the jam last night.

EKURed
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
One play last night really got to me. The Reds were down 3-0 in the bottom of the 8th. EE leads off with a single. Valentin is the next guy up and swings at the first pitch and grounds into a DP. It would have been different if he would have hit a rocket at someone for a double play, but it was a weak grounder to 2nd. If you're going to swing at a first pitch in that situation, you can't get cheated. And Valentin did in that case. Very selfish IMO.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
One play last night really got to me. The Reds were down 3-0 in the bottom of the 8th. EE leads off with a single. Valentin is the next guy up and swings at the first pitch and grounds into a DP. It would have been different if he would have hit a rocket at someone for a double play, but it was a weak grounder to 2nd. If you're going to swing at a first pitch in that situation, you can't get cheated. And Valentin did in that case. Very selfish IMO.
Javy always swings at the first pitch. I dont know if it happened but the dugout should tell him not to swing at the first pitch in that situation because we need baserunners.

reds1869
08-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Cuz Aurilia's range is bad at short. I would like Narron to put this lineup out there though one night and see how much better our offense is.

Clayton isn't exactly Omar Vizquel in his prime.

keeganbrick
08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Clayton isn't exactly Omar Vizquel in his prime.
No, but Clayton does have better range than Aurilia by a decent amount. Im by no means sticking up for Clayton though because I would much rather see Castro out there every day.

M2
08-04-2006, 03:01 PM
No, but Clayton does have better range than Aurilia by a decent amount. Im by no means sticking up for Clayton though because I would much rather see Castro out there every day.

Clayton's got better range than Castro too, most everyone does. If the Reds want range at SS, then Phillips is the guy most likely to provide. Oddly, he's also the guy most likely to provide offense too.

REDREAD
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Do you have any idea how bad a year he is having? He's essentialy Pena without the the speed. He's killing the team in the middle of the order.

No spin can change that..

What's your purposed batting order?

westofyou
08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
What's your purposed batting order?
Order schmorder, too many people butt heads on something that only matters once a game. If anything take Griffey out of slot #3.

Shoot I'd bench him and play Freel and Denorfia.

Hey but I'm an idiot I also didn't hate the trade.

redsmetz
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
I picked up a copy of this morning's NY Times to read while I was waiting for my appointment. Murray Chass had a column about Uttley's hitting streak. He interviewed various players, past and present, about why DiMaggio's streak is the hardest to break (aside from those which will be unbreakable - most wins in a season, a career, etc.). It was interesting to be reminded by some pretty fair hitters that it isn't always the easiest thing to do. You always hope that your team is clicking on all cylinders, but sometimes not. Here's the final half of the column.

DiMaggio’s record, on the other hand, requires only that a player get a hit every game for 56 games.

“It seems like it’s not that hard to get a hit every day,” said Don Mattingly, the Yankees’ hitting coach and a fair hitter in his time. “It didn’t seem like it would be. Just one, you know? Why can’t you get one? Why not? So, I don’t know why. It’s tough, obviously.

“You have to hit a ball clean, and some days you’re going to hit two lineouts. So you don’t hit every ball hard; you hit three out of four balls, but you hit two of them right at somebody. So all of a sudden you leave yourself with one at-bat to get a hit. So I think just luck sometimes. You have eight guys out there trying to catch a ball.”

How hard is it to sustain a hitting streak? Since 1941, Rose is the only player to hit in 40 or more consecutive games. Paul Molitor reached 39 in 1987, and Jimmy Rollins of the Phillies is next on the post-Rose list, hitting safely in his last 36 games last season.

Rollins also had hits in his first two games this season, making his streak 38 games for some people, but it makes no sense to extend a hitting streak over two seasons. Circumstances are different when six months separate at-bats. The pressure of a hitting streak is playing each day as the streak builds.

“You just want to get in a consistent rhythm and keep doing the right thing,” Carlos Delgado of the Mets said. “But if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

“There are so many obstacles. One day you’re facing a guy throwing 95, then 85. Then they bring in a lefty, and then a sidearmer. There are so many outside elements, and that’s what makes doing it day after day so impressive.”

Perhaps it is because of the difficulty of building a streak that teams and the news media are quick to talk about a player having a five, six or eight-game hitting streak. When Derek Jeter got a first-inning single yesterday in the Yankees’ game against Toronto, the announcers quickly talked about his 12-game hitting streak.

“There’s a fine line,” Delgado said. “At 10 or 12 games, it’s an achievement, but no one’s starting to notice. At 15 or 16, that’s when people start caring, and it gets more difficult. People start asking about what you’re doing, if you’re doing anything different, about your approach. If no one’s talking about it, you can just focus on hitting the ball.”

By the time a player gets to Utley’s level, he faces increased scrutiny and curiosity. That’s when he starts hearing DiMaggio’s name.

“I had a 25-game one in L.A., and it seemed like forever,” Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca said. “DiMaggio’s 56 is unreal. To do it day in and day out is remarkable.”

Mattingly said: “I couldn’t do it. I never got to 30.”

Tony Gwynn, who won the National League batting title eight times, never hit in more than 25 consecutive games. Discussing hitting streaks a few years ago, he said: “They barely talk about it until you get to 30. Then when you get to 30, they talk about it every day. It’s going to take a guy who’s mentally tough, who’ll talk about it before the game and after the game.”

Utley doesn’t talk about it, figuring he will jinx himself and the streak will end. That’s one way of dealing with mounting pressure.

oregonred
08-04-2006, 03:26 PM

MAY 2006

:beerme:

Bingo. Saved me the work of looking up the May offensive skid when the starting pitching was actually quite excellent. Still remember the back-back shutouts against the D-backs at home :thumbdown

vic715
08-04-2006, 04:44 PM
If I'm Narron I'd be hitting Ross in the 4 hole while he's hot. Then when a lefty is pitching play him at 1st to breakup the grind. He has played 1st in the minors so he's not unfamilier with it.
I still say this team badly misses Caseys leadership.

westofyou
08-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I still say this team badly misses Caseys leadership.

What did Sean Casey ever do to lead? Mostly he was a good face man for a bad organization, but as a leader I remember more whining about departed players then leading of the ones in the clubhouse.

M2
08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Sean Casey was a Private Ryan, not a General Patton.

pedro
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM

exactly.

that's not to say that the trade didn't downgrade the offense, but it is not soley responsible for the current draught.

Matt700wlw
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
If you buy into the theroy that we lost the last 3 games because AK and Lopez's bats were gone that means you also have to buy into the theroy that the Reds offense was a consistent run producer that never got streaky before the trade.

Yup.

This lineup was inconsistant before the trade, and it still is. It may have lost some pop, but it hasn't lost the ability to score runs.