PDA

View Full Version : Censorship at its FINEST!!!

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Hi All,

I was extremely disappointed today when I came into the forum and saw BernieCarbo had been BANNED. I am a die hard Reds fan, an even bigger fan of Juniors, and didn't agree with most of Bernie's opinions.

So a couple days ago I emailed Bernie to ask just why he disliked Junior so much. Well folks, that email lead to several phone conversations, and I found out that Bernie loves the Reds and Junior as much as I do! He only spoke from the heart, and wished Junior would get well, and be the great player that we all know he was and could be again. He even sent me a spectacular signed picture of Junior, and bragged on him constantly that he was the greatest player that ever lived.

Even after several conversations with Bernie, I am still a loyal Junior fan, but I researched a lot of his views, and you know what people, he had facts to back them up. But because he feels that Junior is not perfect in all ways, that he may not be the perfect choice for the Reds, and he voiced his concerns on this, he gets BANNED while the ones that made fun of him because he didn't take the time to make his post with perfect grammar and punctuation and found anything else they could to ridicule him are still here. Does this seem like a fair and honest forum? The answer to that question to me is NO!!!!

So I'm saying goodbye to this forum, and will go to one where all can voice their views without fear of being banned.

Enjoy your dictatorship CougarQuest!!!!

BaseballGal

TeamSelig
08-25-2002, 12:10 AM
It says you just registered ..........

JaxRed
08-25-2002, 12:10 AM
What was your other post Baseball Gal?

ramp101
08-25-2002, 12:11 AM
we wont miss you.....oh no a veteran on 2 days is leaving:rolleyes:

there was nothing wrong with what bernie had to say once or twice...but it showed up in every post

i somehow believe baseballgal is bernie carbo :eek:

letsgojunior
08-25-2002, 12:19 AM
So, since you registered Aug 21, you have done the following things:

1. Emailed and had several phone conversations (Helpful hint: Never a good idea to do this when you meet people on the internet)

2. Thoroughly researched Bernie's viewpoint.

3. Asked for and received a signed photo (must have been overnight delivery!)

4. Gladly talked to someone who was openly degrading your favorite player.

5. Made contact with and gave your home address to someone off a message board you had only been a member of for 2 days.

Might I say, OOOOOKKKKKAAAAAYYYYY.

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 12:23 AM
Hmmmmm, didn't take you big boys long to jump me, I was expecting that. Why would I expect an intelligent post when it seems that most on here can only attack when something is said they disagree with. And yes i just registered a few days ago to make a post, but I have been reading this forum for several months.

Bernie was banned for making too many post, so now will I be banned for not making enough? Bernie was banned from even reading the forum. Now you tell me, do you really think this is a honest and fair forum?

But let me pass this on to you, Bernie says he holds no hard feelings, that he will miss reading the forum and everyone's opinions, but wishes the Reds and Junior well, and will be rooting for them as he always has, as will I.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 12:24 AM
BERNIE=BASEBALLGAL

:lol: :roll: :lol: :rolleyes: :eek:

by the way,how do you know BC was banned?

Johnny Vander m
08-25-2002, 12:31 AM
Hey Baseballgal, meet me for a drink tonight at the "No Name Salon" on Elm Street. Bring along ID as they require it there.:evilgrin: , but don't bring Bernie, he might not fit in.:D

JaxRed
08-25-2002, 12:33 AM
I thought she left?

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 12:44 AM
1. I emailed Bernie from my hotmail addy and he gave me his number. I used a calling card with my number blocked. I didn't just give him my number, .

2. It didnt take much time to look up stats of before Junior and after, or read articles of others saying Junior is a disruptive force on the team.

3. I didn't ask, he offered.

4. If I only talked to people who agreed with my every word and thought, I would not talk to anyone.

5. We both live in the same city and he sent it to my PO box. Bernie's wife answered phone and she too is Junior fan and says they argue and fight all the time over Bernie thinking the Reds wouild be better off without him. And yes I only registered a few days ago but been reading the post for months and always enjoyed it, but didn't feel i knew enough to post opinions on baseball, but I do on censorship and this is exactly what this is!!

Just seeing how you guys attack me for standing up for someone's right to have a different view, that has a passion and love for his team enough to stand up against popular opinions, doesn't mean he should be banned from stating his opinions and even worse blocking him from being able to read the post. You could have silence him without taking his priviledge of being able to read your views.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 12:49 AM
why are you still here?

griff is liked in the clubhouse so what could he have possibly told you?

you are bernie's wife arent you :eek:

JaxRed
08-25-2002, 12:54 AM
I thought she left?

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 12:56 AM
The only reason I am still here is trying to defend myself for defending someone's right for free speech. I love baseball, I love the Reds, I think Junior is the most awesome player I have ever seen, but I am not a baseball expert, and I have never claimed to be. That is why I haven't felt the need to post here before.

But I strongly believe that every person should be able to voice their opinion without fear of being banned. And that includes each one of you. If you don't like what I say, thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

But Bernie's post did provoke me to know more of why he thinks the way he does, and he never downed me for not being an expert. He listened to my opinions, and I listened to his. He told me stories about players I had never heard of like Art Shamsky, Lee May, Champ Summers , Jim Maloney. So yes you can say this guy may not be well educated or skilled as far as writing goes, but he is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to baseball and especially Reds Baseball.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 12:59 AM
how long was your conversation with him? 3 weeks :lol:

come on :rolleyes:

bernie's posts werent bad...just repetitive

answer my question: how did you know he was banned?

[this should be a good one ;) ]

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Noooooooo, I am not Bernie's wife. Bernie has grandkids older than I am. And how would you know Junior is liked in the clubhouse?

All you guys suggest all these trades Bernie just suggested we let go of two players and in his opinion he thinks the Reds would flourish. He may be wrong and I would die if they traded Junior but he has his right to his opinion.

MWM
08-25-2002, 01:03 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE Stay. I don't know if this board can go on without you. If you leave, I just don't think I can go on any longer. :smokin:

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 01:04 AM
I know he was banned because when I went to read the post today, under his name it said banned!!! So I called him and asked him why, what happened, and he had no clue. He tried to get to the forum to read the post, and was even blocked from that.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by BaseballGal
Noooooooo, I am not Bernie's wife. Bernie has grandkids older than I am. And how would you know Junior is liked in the clubhouse?

i have read recent reports thank you

why cant u answer me how you know bernie was banned or are you thinking of something to say

:eek:

BaseballGal
08-25-2002, 01:27 AM
My last words here!! I know this makes you all happy.

You all seem to think if a person keeps repeating what he thinks is the ONLY real problem with our team, he should be banned for standing up and saying it. That he should just read all these ideas you guys have to improve our team but not voice any of his own.

Well Bernie is a very nice older man, and has been homebound for several years, I hope you are all happy that you took one of his daily pleasures away.

I will never understand why he isnt even allowed to read the post here. That just seems plain mean to me!!!

Goodnight and Goodbye

BaseBallGal

Johnny Vander m
08-25-2002, 01:37 AM
Hey JaxRed, is she realy gone? Said that was her last post! Good Bye Bernie. :evilgrin:

JaxRed
08-25-2002, 02:01 AM
I don't know but here is the inside story on Bernie's condition:

3 days ago he wrote:

"sorry for not responding sooner but i do have to work to pay the bills and afford to take my 3 sons to a handfull of games each year lol .......

I don't claim to be expert as you all pointed out , just sick of choosing to take my sons to 5 or 6 games a year rather then take vacation < can't afford both > "

Just a few days ago he was a vibrant young man. He had a job, he took his kids to see games, and went on vacations.

Three days later, he's homebound. Those kids are now so old they now have kids of their own that are older than baseball gal.

Ya gotta admit. Having a 72 hour stretch like that can make you kind of cranky.

jtc24
08-25-2002, 11:30 AM
This is one of the most entertaining threads I've seen here in quite some time! Mods, PLEASE DON'T close it. :lol:

DiamondRat
08-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Anyone want to bet a ham sandwich that she will be back again?:p

Col_ IN Reds fan
08-25-2002, 12:17 PM
"Baseball Gal" , I do not post on here as much as I should but I do enjoy reading posts. I find it interesting that you use the "right to free speech" in one post, then "priveledge" in another. This is a forum started by someone and this person has allowed guests to view and post messages on here. There are rules that have been set up and they seem clear to me. I can honestly say that I have not noticed what "Bernie Carbo" has been saying , but I do know what the rules are, here. People use this "right to free speech" thing and take it over the limit (as in your case). People get fired from jobs , get arrested and even get convicted on what they say. In closing this forum is a "priveledge" , not a "right" for you ,or any of us. If people do not like the rules here I say start your own Reds message board and make your own rules.

Red in DC
08-25-2002, 01:28 PM
You know I did find it a bit strange that someone would claim to be a Reds fan and then choose as their user name a player whose biggest hit was against the Reds and almost kept them from winning the World Series.

I realize Carbo was a Red once, but that's not what people think of when they think of Bernie Carbo. It's all right of course, anyone could post under whatever name and root for any team here, but it does seem a bit odd.

whatafool
08-25-2002, 02:00 PM
You all have too much time on your hands..

Tony Cloninger
08-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Bernie Carbo's nickname in the minors was THE VILLAGE IDIOT.

Once Sparky got a hold of him.....he took things more seriously.

But that nickname pretty much sums up this whole Bernie/baseball Gal "affair".

JoeMills76
08-25-2002, 03:14 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble who thinks that this is a good forum to post your ideas and criticisms, but I have long felt that there is a "dictatorship" quality to the way this form is managed.

People who post ALL the time seem to be allowed to say whatever they want without being ridiculed, but those who post occasionally end up feeling inferior and apprehensive to ever post again.

Maybe it's because those people who post all the time attend the little gay RedsZone get togethers and wear the stupid fagish RedsZone T-shirts. Come on people, you do look stupid.

It's obvious that those who post all the time have no life outside of the Internet and following the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe it makes you feel better to ridicule other people's ideas, but frankly, all it does is alienate people from the board.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 03:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JoeMills76
I hate to burst everyone's bubble who thinks that this is a good forum to post your ideas and criticisms, but I have long felt that there is a "dictatorship" quality to the way this form is managed.

Then why, exactly, do you still come here?

JaxRed
08-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Secretly wants gay Redszone T-shirt

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 03:32 PM
:D

Originally posted by JaxRed

GIK
08-25-2002, 03:57 PM
the stupid fagish RedsZone T-shirts

Hey...I take offense!!! :p

Originally posted by JaxRed

:lol:

GIK
08-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Crap! I wasted my 2000th post on THAT?!?!

:evilgrin:

TeamCasey
08-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Maybe it's because those people who post all the time attend the little gay RedsZone get togethers and wear the stupid fagish RedsZone T-shirts. Come on people, you do look stupid.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

Seriously, as far as the get-togethers go, I'd only met the attendees on this board. We didn't know each other before getting together. We aren't a clique. We've gone to great lengths to encourage folks to join us. Everyone's always been welcome.

As far as the Tees go. I think WOY and GIK did a great job on them.

syncope
08-25-2002, 04:29 PM

People who post ALL the time seem to be allowed to say whatever they want without being ridiculed, but those who post occasionally end up feeling inferior and apprehensive to ever post again.

It's obvious that those who post all the time have no life outside of the Internet and following the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe it makes you feel better to ridicule other people's ideas, but frankly, all it does is alienate people from the board.

Excellent point.

These people need to turn off the computer once in a while, even if it's only for 15 minutes a day, and get outside and synthesize some vitamin D. Maybe then they wouldn't be so emotionally fragile.

JoeMills76
08-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Boss-Hog

Then why, exactly, do you still come here?

To bring the dictators down a notch.

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 04:51 PM
Well, if you continue to make similar posts to the one you made above, you won't around to bring anything down...

Oh and as for BernieCarbo, the guy had ~15 posts on this board - every single one I read was the same stuff over and over again. I don't think that the board should have to read the same point repeatedly in subjects that are completely unrelated to what he was trying to express. He was warned about beating a subject to death and he chose to ignore the multiple warnings he received. If you consider his banning a huge loss, I would recommend joining him wherever he turns up.

Boss

To bring the dictators down a notch.

TeamBoone
08-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by syncope

Excellent point.

These people need to turn off the computer once in a while, even if it's only for 15 minutes a day, and get outside and synthesize some vitamin D. Maybe then they wouldn't be so emotionally fragile.

I totally resent being told I don't have a life outside the internet... especially by those who know absolutely nothing about me, my interests, or my life.

It doesn't take too long to read the new posts and/or to respond to one or two. That leaves a whole lot of time in a day/week/month/year to pursue other activities, family, friends, etc.

And BTW, those RZ tees were purchased by far more Zoners than the handful who gets together once a year.

JoeMills76
08-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Well, if you continue to make similar posts to the one you made above, you won't around to bring anything down...

Oooooo... I'm SOOOO scared. If you want to turn me into a martyr, go ahead. It's a revolution BABY!

{The rest of this message was deleted}

TeamBoone
08-25-2002, 05:05 PM
Remember when you and I had a discussion previously? I stated my opinion; you stated yours; and we discuseed said disagreement at lengh... even managed to sicken a person I know and respect though I don't remember ever swearing, calling names, or demeaning anyone... just standing up for an ethic I believe in.

Anyway, if you remember correctly, no one on this board supported me; in fact, most sided with you... so Mr Mills, your mention of cliques regarding the board members who have posted here for years is a totally unsupported argument, IMHO.

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Well, thanks for making it easy, Joe...

Raisor
08-25-2002, 05:23 PM
RE: Joe

You know, I don't think Joe was breast fed when he was a baby.

PSR

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 05:26 PM
Joe,

I thought I'd let you know that I removed your other name (MILFMAN25) as well. Trying to be slick, eh?

CougarQuest
08-25-2002, 05:31 PM
Dictator? Hmm, wonder if I get a special head dress for that?

I think Joe must be trying to quit smoking, he kept asking for a cigarette.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 05:43 PM
R.I.P
Joe
Milfman
Bernie Carbo
Basbeall Gal
who is next? :lol:

whatafool
08-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Man, you are on some kind of banning spree....your not really donald rumsfeld are you?:rolleyes:

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Two people were banned; if that's a banning spree, so be it.

jtc24
08-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Boss, I understand why you banned Bernie/Baseball Gal, and I don't blame you. On the other hand, it was pretty entertaining watching him talk himself into a hole. :lol: I guess I had stared at the trainwreck long enough anyway, though.

letsgojunior
08-25-2002, 07:49 PM
So were Bernie and Baseball Gal the same person or not? I couldn't tell myself.

CougarQuest
08-25-2002, 08:15 PM
Censorship at it's finest:

1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Repeated use of edgy language. 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism, etc. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this message board is for. But let's not beat a player or a subject to death, please.

These rules were not made up just today.

Let me give you a little insight behind the scenes. You may or may not know many of the moderators and administrators get lot's of PM's and email complaints about posters and/or posts, almost daily. We try to handle it through email or PM notifications if there is merit to it. We try to do it in a timely fashion. The moderators and administrators discuss what the poster has done or what the complaint post is. We have let people know that there have been complaints when things could be considered borderline. Sometimes a single word can be misinterpreted. Sometimes people don't realize how their post are being interpreted and are shocked when they realize how they could be interpreted in such a way. If the post is too blantantly bad, we warn people immediately with a post and then ask them to read their PM's or emails, so as to go into further details. Sometimes we make everyone happy, sometimes we make some people happy, sometimes it feels like we don't make anyone happy (the person we are warning thinks we are too hard, the people who complain think we haven't done enough). Sometimes people you really like go over board and you have to enforce the rules. Sometimes people that you never agree with their post, you stick up for.

None of us is making money doing this. This is voluntary. If you don't like this place and think you can do better, by all means, start up your own site. If you get this many people in it, people will start complaining from opposite ends about the board, then you'll understand a little bit better what this place has actually been able to accomplish.

This is a private site. If the administrators decided that one of the rules is you can not use the word "and", then you can either chose not to become a member, or not come back, or follow the rules of the private site. But, don't be surprised if you get warned, then banned if you continue to use the word "and".

The rules are pretty simple. Kind of like "don't pee in the pool". If you don't care if people pee in your pool, then invite the people who want to pee in a pool over to your house.

ramp101
08-25-2002, 08:17 PM
i pee in my pool.....shh nobody knows..
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Very well put, CQ. As he said, the rules are there for everyone to follow - if you don't follow the rules, despite being warned, as Bernie was, don't be surprised when we have to take action. It's not something we enjoy doing but it is something that's necessary in order to prevent this board from becoming the old cincinnati.com. I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the regulars here are happy enough with the job we've done since the site launched.

Boss

GoReds
08-25-2002, 09:37 PM
I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the regulars here are happy enough with the job we've done since the site launched.

Boss

THAT deserves an Amen.

Or, in the interest of being PC - here! here!

letsgojunior
08-25-2002, 10:29 PM
I agree GoReds. I also disagree with people who proclaim it was "censorship" to ban BernieCarbo. I'm sorry, but there are not many restrictions around here. Basically, keep it clean, stick to the topic, don't beat a player or subject into the ground. Plenty of other people have said things along the line of what Bernie has said, yet they kept it clean, respectful, and only posted it when it was a topic of discussion at the time.

Bernie posted the same thing every single time, regardless of the subject of the thread. He also openly degraded the players he was talking about to a much worse degree than any of the posters who responded to him. I don't understand why, in the case of the people who defended him, it is not okay for westofyou to call him a troll, but it is okay for bernie to call people cans of worms and worthless.

Again, its not like this place has a lot of rules. Bernie broke nearly every one. I agree wholeheartedly with the decision of the mods and thank them for making an effort to avoid a cincy.com slide.

Crosley68
08-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Good Job as usual Boss..........another Amen!!!

ramp101
08-25-2002, 11:01 PM
A big "hell yea" goes out to Boss and Co.

http://users.esc.net.au/~mapie/smiley2.gif

zeke
08-25-2002, 11:31 PM
I don't post much but I have been an active reader for several years. One of the reasons I don't post much is because when I do and my opinions don't agree w/ the status quo I have been shot down to the max. I agree with some of what both Bernie and Joe said. I wouldn't put my feelings in exactly the same terms though. I think some of you are very bright people. I love to read Krusty, Jax, Princeton, etc. You get some great insights here and also many times find out breaking news before I find it elsewhere. That's why I keep coming back everyday. But I am pretty disgusted right about now by the feeding frenzy that has developed over the course of this thread. You are behaving like dogs do when one dog gets attacked and then all the others pile on. I don't think banning people is a great policy. Only in extreme cases should this be used. Otherwise people may become reticent to express dissenting opinions and alot of the value of the board would be lost.

Zeke

Boss-Hog
08-25-2002, 11:45 PM
No, zeke...

First off, since this board launched in April of 2000, there have been around 15 people banned. So, in nearly 2 and a half years, 15 different people. Looking at that figure, I'd say that we are pretty conservative about when to ban users - particularly when compared to other boards of our size.

Second of all, if you have indeed been around for a few years, you may remember cincinnati.com. Without some form of moderation, you have a carbon copy of that site happening right here - only worse because the board has grown quite a bit since then. I'd not about censorship, dictatorship, power trips, whatever - it's about running an efficient board where baseball can be discussed without all the garbage.

Boss

Originally posted by zeke
I don't post much but I have been an active reader for several years. One of the reasons I don't post much is because when I do and my opinions don't agree w/ the status quo I have been shot down to the max. I agree with some of what both Bernie and Joe said. I wouldn't put my feelings in exactly the same terms though. I think some of you are very bright people. I love to read Krusty, Jax, Princeton, etc. You get some great insights here and also many times find out breaking news before I find it elsewhere. That's why I keep coming back everyday. But I am pretty disgusted right about now by the feeding frenzy that has developed over the course of this thread. You are behaving like dogs do when one dog gets attacked and then all the others pile on. I don't think banning people is a great policy. Only in extreme cases should this be used. Otherwise people may become reticent to express dissenting opinions and alot of the value of the board would be lost.

Zeke

Crosley68
08-25-2002, 11:50 PM
With all do respect, if you would re-read all of the person in question's posts, you will find that it was not a dissenting opinion but an attack on certain players in every post.
In my opinion, this was an extreme case. You make it sound as if every person who dissents is banned. I have disagreed many times with the most active posters and have felt only acceptance for my views.
I can understand your desire to take up for the little guy, but sometimes the little guy is the problem and not being bullied. That was the case here.

zeke
08-25-2002, 11:56 PM
I am familiar w/ the cincy.com reference and I realize you are trying to avoid that scenario here. I was not aware of the total # of bannings and appreciate you sharing that w/ me. That seems reasonable. I'm not too sure it was reasonable to ban Joe based on a few poorly chosen comments on an issue that he was obviously quite upset about. I don't really recall reading his stuff so I don't know if he was a valuable poster or not but I did see that he had made quite a few posts previously. Maybe he's just pals w/ Bernie. Perhaps the best solution under the circumstances would have been to delete the thread. What really disgusted me was the apparent relish with which others joined in the attack of the reprobates under discussion. And it did seem that you had a hair trigger w/ Joe.

Respectfully,

Zeke

ramp101
08-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Joe did ask for it though :eek:

Boss-Hog
08-26-2002, 12:01 AM
And it did seem that you had a hair trigger w/ Joe.

Well, IIRC, without elaborating further, this isn't the first run-in we've have had with Joe. Also, you probably didn't see this because I removed it, but when he posts "F*G F*G F*G F*G" repeatedly (and similar style comments) I'd have to say that the guy was practically begging to be banned. I'm sure he's not too upset about being banned and I'm equally apathetic that it happened.

Boss

zeke
08-26-2002, 12:08 AM
One more quick question if you will bear with me. What does IIRC mean? Is there a reference to these things on the board somewhere? I checked the FAQ's before asking so as to not appear too ignorant, but what the heck, why hide the truth?

Zeke

letsgojunior
08-26-2002, 12:09 AM
if i recall correctly

CougarQuest
08-26-2002, 12:14 AM
zeke,

You should have seen the first time I made a post. It went over like a lead ballon with some. I almost had to go check my baseball stuff to make sure I ever attended a game ;). I think if you ever asked Krusty, Jax, or princeton, they'd tell you that they've had similar instances.

Those who are the loudest or the most often, doesn't mean they speak for the majority. They speak for themselves. If you really look at some of the most active posters on this board, they are on the opposite side of the fence of each other. Some people have become "buddies" because of a good debate in which they were on opposite sides of the fence. Sometimes people want to see how you back up what you say when someone challenges you before they "jump to your rescue" or "jump in on your side". Sometimes timing is the key. This year more than ever, it seems that when the Reds win, 'ra-ra' thoughts are encouraged by posters, and when the Reds lose, 'doomsayers' thoughts are encouraged by posters.

But there is a huge difference in what you are talking about and what Bernie and Joe did. There are moderators on this board that may think Larkin and Jr are washed up. There is a big difference between that and what Bernie and Joe did.

Larkin Fan
08-26-2002, 12:18 AM
You should have seen the first time I made a post. It went over like a lead ballon with some. I almost had to go check my baseball stuff to make sure I ever attended a game . I think if you ever asked Krusty, Jax, or princeton, they'd tell you that they've had similar instances.

Are you kidding, CQ? EVERYONE agreed with you when you first started posting. Especially me and Redstorm. ;)

zeke
08-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks LGJ for the enlightenment and to CQ for the words of encouragement.

Zeke

CougarQuest
08-26-2002, 12:23 AM
zeke

I see part of the problem, and I think Boss addressed it. Some post were so bad they had to be deleted. If you were here at the time and had to read it, I think you would understand it was not a hair trigger. {10 lines of the same word repeated calling him a British term for cigarette}

MWM
08-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Hey Boss and CQ, stop apologizing. You have no need to explain yourselves to anyone. You do all this without reward and you can do with it what you please. I know I, for one, would be gone if it ever turned into anything that even closely resembled cincy.com. If you guys didn't monitor this site and ban folks when needed, you would lose the regulars and their no longer be a need for this board.

Don't be intimidated by the all powerful "C" word.

zeke
08-26-2002, 12:31 AM
Personally I appreciate the fact that they took the time to explain their actions to me. It helps to know there was more to Joe's last message than I saw. Knowing this I probably would have made the same call.

Zeke

CougarQuest
08-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Dictators don't appologize and we aren't afraid of the word censorship. ;)

Honestly though, I don't think we were appologizing, I do think we were explaining. If posters have questions or concerns about the actions, without the proper knowledge of why things are done, then they go away with the wrong idea. Especially when you have to delete all or part of a post. This way they at least know the truth. I don't have a problem explaining my actions.

And I made that long post because I don't know if most people really know how much effort and time goes into this board to make the right decision and to do what is fair. And that didn't go into the other everyday stuff that Boss and GIK have to do with this site.

TRF
08-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Just my .02 cents, and it is my opinion only. Someone comes on the board anc mercilessly bashes Griffey. Every post is a griff slam. It's repetitive. It's annoying. It adds nothing to the discussion or the board.

Another poster slams Bob Boone for his "managerial skills". He does it every post. It's repetitive. It's annoying. It adds nothing to the discussion or the board.

Another poster slams Sean Casey for his "lack of power". He does it every post. It's repetitive. It's annoying. It adds nothing to the discussion or the board.

Another poster slams Juan Castro for his "High BA" :rolleyes:. He does it every post. It's repetitive. It's annoying. It adds nothing to the discussion or the board.

The Mods and administrators have a tough job here, and they ain't gettin' paid for it. In fact I'd be willing to bet it has cost a few of them some money. But it seems to me there are some sacred cows, and Junior i one of them. If pointing out Junior's health problems in every post is enough to get you banned (and I don't believe that was the whole case with Bernie Carbo) then pointing out Castro's weak stick every time he is in the lineup should as well. This is just my opinion. It is neither right nor wrong. But it is mine. And this is coming from someone that was attacked big time at cinci.com. My handle was even impersonated and used to attack other posters. I don't think 15 bannings in two years is excessive. But I do think that sometimes posters feel thay have to tread lightly around these sacred cows.

Again, just my opinion.

Johnny Footstool
08-26-2002, 05:48 PM
As for the comments on Casey and Castro, yes, they are frequent, but they usually come from people who add insight on a variety of other topics. IMO, it looked like Bernie Carbo's ONLY reason for posting on this board was to bash Junior -- I can't remember reading anything from him that wasn't.

If his sole purpose in posting on this board was to make repetitious comments about Griffey and try to start arguments, then he was trolling, and trolling is grounds for being banned, according to the Moderators' rules.

danforsman
08-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ramp101
R.I.P
Joe
Milfman
Bernie Carbo
Basbeall Gal
who is next? :lol:

i vote for ramp101. his posts are annoying, repetitive, buoyant, and omnipresent. sort of like geraldo...

ramp101
08-28-2002, 03:54 PM
*yawnhttp://216.40.241.68/ups/razor_wind/madani.gif

CougarQuest
08-28-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by danforsman

i vote for ramp101. his posts are annoying, repetitive, buoyant, and omnipresent. sort of like geraldo...

I don't know if this was meant as a joke or not, but we really don't need this. For one, I think ramp stays on topic in each thread. Does he post a lot. Sure, but it's not about the same thing over and over. The only time I have seen the guy ever get close to breaking the rules was when people started in on him. I think for a guy whose main team is the Marlins, he has been very good while he has been in here. I've often wondered how we would react in another teams board if they were talking lowly about the Reds or trading for our best young players and not offering what we thought was fair.

Let this thing drop. If you have a problem with a poster, either email or PM a moderator or administrator with the specifics and it will be handled accordingly.

bucksfan
08-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CougarQuest

I don't know if this was meant as a joke or not, but we really don't need this. For one, I think ramp stays on topic in each thread. Does he post a lot. Sure, but it's not about the same thing over and over. The only time I have seen the guy ever get close to breaking the rules was when people started in on him. I think for a guy whose main team is the Marlins, he has been very good while he has been in here. I've often wondered how we would react in another teams board if they were talking lowly about the Reds or trading for our best young players and not offering what we thought was fair.

Let this thing drop. If you have a problem with a poster, either email or PM a moderator or administrator with the specifics and it will be handled accordingly.

I must also say that I think ramp has been a very good and entertaining poster, with a fair, baseball-minded viewpoint. He only reacted a bit harshly when others were IMO a bit too harsh with him in the first place. I have enjoyed ramp's contributions, even though his new emoticons are sometimes a bit much to load ;)

max venable
08-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Just for the record...I'm not really Max Venable. :angel:

letsgojunior
08-28-2002, 06:38 PM
I happen to enjoy Ramp and his contributions very much. Hopefully he stays on.

CougarQuest
08-28-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by max venable
Just for the record...I'm not really Max Venable. :angel:

Are you really Jason Jennings? :lol:

{I'm only joking, so please take it in the manner it was taken. Just trying to lighten things up a bit.}