PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes: #1

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 08:47 AM
USA Today coaches' poll released today: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

Rank Team (first-place votes) Record Points Final 2005 rank
1. Ohio State (28) 10-2 1,487 4
2. Texas (11) 13-0 1,378 1
3. (tie) Notre Dame (9) 9-3 1,348 11
3. (tie) Southern California (1) 12-1 1,348 2
5. Oklahoma (13) 8-4 1,320 22
6. Auburn (1) 9-3 1,206 14
7. West Virginia 11-1 1,202 6
8. Florida 9-3 1,054 16
9. LSU 11-2 1,037 5
10. Florida State 8-5 874 23
11. Miami (Fla.) 9-3 839 18
12. California 8-4 798 25
13. Louisville 9-3 785 20
14. Georgia 10-3 784 10
15. Michigan 7-5 778 NR
16. Virginia Tech 11-2 591 7
17. Iowa 7-5 519 NR
18. Clemson 8-4 493 21
19. Penn State 11-1 406 3
20. Oregon 10-2 373 12
21. TCU 11-1 270 9
22. Nebraska 8-4 261 24
23. Tennessee 5-6 216 NR
24. Alabama 10-2 210 8
25. Texas Tech 9-3 198 19

Others receiving votes

Arizona State (7-5) 182; Boston College (9-3) 87; Utah (7-5) 84; Arkansas (4-7) 64; South Carolina (7-5) 55; Boise State (9-4) 46; Wisconsin (10-3) 37; UCLA (10-2) 29; Georgia Tech (7-5) 28; Fresno State (8-5) 14; Tulsa (9-4) 11; Iowa State (7-5) 9; Minnesota (7-5) 9; Maryland (5-6) 8; Purdue (5-6) 7; Texas A&M (5-6) 6; Memphis (7-5) 5; Nevada (9-3) 3; Texas-El Paso (8-4) 3; Arizona (3-8) 2; Brigham Young (6-6) 2; Northern Illinois (7-5) 2; Northwestern (7-5) 2; Oregon State (5-6) 2; Rutgers (7-5) 2; Colorado (7-6) 1; Duke (1-10) 1.

GAC
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
OSU took some pretty big hits on defense, while returning alot on the offensive side. It's all gonna depend on how Tressel can fill those defensive holes (which he relays heavily on IMO).

Heath
08-04-2006, 08:54 AM
second week of the season brings one and two.

Preseason Polls are highly overrated. Highly is the key word.

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
second week of the season brings one and two.

Preseason Polls are highly overrated. Highly is the key word.
The fact that Duke got a vote shows that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whoever wins the Auburn-LSU game will play in the national championship game.

Unassisted
08-04-2006, 09:40 AM
How long has it been since a preseason #1 ended a season ranked #1? Tressel might as well just go ahead and replace the numbers on the backs of the jerseys with a target. :(

ochre
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
2 years ago?

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
OSU took some pretty big hits on defense, while returning alot on the offensive side. It's all gonna depend on how Tressel can fill those defensive holes (which he relays heavily on IMO).

HUGE HITS.

Hopefully someone will step up this year on the defensive side. I don't think anyone questions the ability of this offense. It's insane, and add in Chris Wells. If he is what they say he is than good grief, it's gonna be fun to watch.

BuckWoody
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Oklahoma at #5...I wonder how many votes were in before they kicked their starting QB and a starting OL off the team?

#1 vs. #2 on September 9 in Austin...I bet that one won't get much hype. ;)

Unassisted
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
2 years ago?
But not many times other than that.

Caseyfan21
08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I personally think OSU is a little overrated this year. I think voters see the entire offense coming back and think Ted Ginn and Troy Smith will score so many points the D won't matter. They seem to forget this is the Big 10 and no one really ever has that great of an offense. I think if we can beat Texas in Austin we should talk about a #1 ranking...until then OSU (especially the defense) is very overrated.

Oxilon
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
West Viriginia should be higher. Patrick White and Steve Slaton are going to be a very impressive combo. Hell, considering their only real concern on their schedule is Louisville, they might as well punch their tickets to the Fiesta Bowl this year.

GAC
08-04-2006, 10:20 AM
HUGE HITS.

Hopefully someone will step up this year on the defensive side. I don't think anyone questions the ability of this offense. It's insane, and add in Chris Wells. If he is what they say he is than good grief, it's gonna be fun to watch.

What is the name of that young MLBer they have who is highly regarded?

They did scout/sign some solid defensive kids. We'll see.

MWM
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I just don't see it. I think they'll be good, but that defense is going to be decent, but not good enough to be #1.

My other biggest concern is Tressel. Will he let the offense play?

Johnny Footstool
08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Duke. :bowrofl:

LoganBuck
08-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Ross Homan may bring comparisons to AJ Hawk very quickly.

I don't really worry about the front seven, I think they will be fine. I worry about the defensive secondary. They lost a heckuva lot of talent back there. The youngsters will have to grow up quick.

If they beat Texas, I think the next toughest game will be in Iowa. Iowa slaughtered OSU there two years ago. OSU dismantled Iowa last year. I don't see Michigan or Penn State coming into the Shoe and winning this year.

Danny Serafini
08-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Whoever voted for Duke should have his vote taken away.

cumberlandreds
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
If Duke is worthy of a vote then my Kentcuky Wildcats should get at least two. That had to be a joke.

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Should definately be banned from coaching a college football program.

LoganBuck
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe Paulus is moving over to Football?

cincy jacket
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Dayton Daily News today said D'andrea has been working out everyday and the swelling has yet to come back in his knee. If we can get him out there anchoring the lb core it should really help.

Cedric
08-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not worried about the defense at all. I'm worried about Boone at LT against the pass rush and the interior O-line. TOSU is like Georgia and FSU, you shouldn't worry much about defense and spend your time worrying about the rhtyhm early of the offense.

The secondary has more talent than last year and Patterson, Pitcock, Richardson, and Wilson at Dline are the strength of the defense.

The second level of defense is the least important at this level and with the talent there they will be fine.

Cedric
08-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Ross Homan may bring comparisons to AJ Hawk very quickly.

I don't really worry about the front seven, I think they will be fine. I worry about the defensive secondary. They lost a heckuva lot of talent back there. The youngsters will have to grow up quick.

If they beat Texas, I think the next toughest game will be in Iowa. Iowa slaughtered OSU there two years ago. OSU dismantled Iowa last year. I don't see Michigan or Penn State coming into the Shoe and winning this year.

Heacock and Beckman have already said they expect the secondary to be better than last year.

More depth this year ready to go. Salley was horrible and never in the right position and Youbouty was hurt. The only worry I have is the boundary CB and it sounds like Amos and Washington are stepping up big time. I never worry about secondary talent at TOSU.

KronoRed
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I would bet money it was Spurrier, he used to coach there and I've read more then once he always looks for a reason to give them a vote

D-Man
08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I just don't see it. I think they'll be good, but that defense is going to be decent, but not good enough to be #1.

My other biggest concern is Tressel. Will he let the offense play?

Tressel always puts together a fine defense, no worries there.

On your second point, I totally agree. "Tresselball" matched with this offensive juggernaut is, well, troubling. He should be airing it out or finding creative ways to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers. Instead he pounds it up the middle, plays for field position, and settles for field goals. I mean there is no way that the Fiesta Bowl with Notre Dame should have been 34-20; the Bucks manhandled Notre Dame and outgained them 617 to 348 yards.

http://www.scoreboard.msnbc.com/msnbc/main.asp?frames=0&sport=ncaafb1a&type=top&cat=box&box=200601020033

I wager Tressel's conservative playcalling will cost the team in at least one of the cold-weather games. An 11-1 or 10-2 season is a good bet, but there is almost no way this team goes undefeated.

BuckeyeRed27
08-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Over there last 6 games the offense averaged 506.6 yards per game and had an average margin of victory of 23.6 points.

The offense is very capable of putting up big numbers. I don't think Tressel will be inclined to take his foot off the pedal this year because the defense will give up more points. Bottom line is when this team needs to score it does.

dieselman44
08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
If we can go 5-0 in the first five, then we'll be playin for an undefeated season and possible national title game bid against michigan

GAC
08-04-2006, 05:17 PM
If we can go 5-0 in the first five, then we'll be playin for an undefeated season and possible national title game bid against michigan

Then that worries me! :lol:

WVRed
08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
If Duke is worthy of a vote then my Kentcuky Wildcats should get at least two. That had to be a joke.

Duke does have a CB who could be drafted fairly high in John Talley.

I just keep asking myself, what does Rich Brooks have to do to get fired at UK?

KronoRed
08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I just keep asking myself, what does Rich Brooks have to do to get fired at UK?
0-12

Joseph
08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Boo football season trying to kill baseball season before its over.

Gainesville Red
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Spurrier puts a preseason vote in for Duke every year. Always has.

BuckWoody
08-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Boo football season trying to kill baseball season before its over.
I look upon it as the beginning of my very favorite time of the year. That time when both football and baseball are both in season. Football is just getting started and baseball is starting to get down to crunch time. I love it! :thumbup:

smallbattle
08-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Nothing better than SEC football.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

max venable
08-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Over there last 6 games the offense averaged 506.6 yards per game and had an average margin of victory of 23.6 points.

The offense is very capable of putting up big numbers. I don't think Tressel will be inclined to take his foot off the pedal this year because the defense will give up more points. Bottom line is when this team needs to score it does.
:beerme:

redsfan30
08-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes, Ohio State lost alot of talent on the defensive side, but trust me when I say they'll be ok. There is some serious talent that's going to be stepping in those empty spots. Of course losing all that experience will be a factor, there's no denying that.

Andre Amos will be the next in the long line of good corners at Ohio State, and he along with Malcom Jenkins will solidify that area.

Jamario O'Neal will step in full time at the free safety spot and I think he's a talent upgrade over Donte Whitner (a first round draft pick).

The linebacking corps will be the key. You don't lose a group like Hawk/Carpenter/Schlegel and not feel it, but again, there is some big time talent ready to step in. James Lauranitis I would think is a lock to hold down one of the spots. I also have to think that Marcus Freeman and Ross Homan (true freshman) will have the inside track on the other two spots. Freeman is an absolute freak of an athlete. I was very impressed with Homan's scouting films and when I saw him in person in the spring game I was thouroughly impressed. He's a ball hawk. If Mike D'Andrea is healthy then he'd be a good bet to step in, but who knows if he'll ever be healthy. They've got other good incoming freshman like Thaddeus Gibson and Larry Grant coming in as well (they will most likely redshirt). The linebacker spot is very deep and loaded for years to come.

All in all, experience will be the key. It's all going to come down to getting out and getting into game situations for this unit to come together. They'll get better and better as the year goes on.

RANDY IN INDY
08-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Interesting that Ohio State gets the #1 preseason nod. All the WVU fans have already laid claim to this year's National Championship.

Go Buckeyes! :beerme:

traderumor
08-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Good point with D'Andrea. He has the experience that may help bridge the gap with the younger, talented supporting cast. I don't like being preseason #1, though. Top 10 is usually good enough to not get BCSd somewhere down the road, but preseason #1 is just as likely to fall on its face, and our inexperienced D could lead to a similar disappointment in Columbus. However, I don't think the D will be bad, but may be susceptible to the big play.

TDHND
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Paulus was a highly recruited quarterback,but decided to play pg for Duke. His brother is a top qb recruit and he's going to North Carolina.

bucksfan
08-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Interesting (and kinda exciting!) but that's about it. I don't put much stock in any of the early polls except it's just fun to discuss until you discuss it with someone taking them too seriously. I think we should field a top-10ish team this year, but hard to tell how all plays out. Some interesting potential at LB for sure. Experience up front will help the DBs hopefully until they get their feet under them some.

MWM
08-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm going to go on record as saying that Anthony Gonzalez is going to have a monster year this year.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I am a Buckeye's fan.

I thought the whole THE Ohio State University thing was funny.

Now, people are typing TOSU? That's a bit overboard.

traderumor
08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I am a Buckeye's fan.

I thought the whole THE Ohio State University thing was funny.

Now, people are typing TOSU? That's a bit overboard.It's the official name of the school and folks have been doing so for quite some time.

max venable
08-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Interesting (and kinda exciting!) but that's about it. I don't put much stock in any of the early polls except it's just fun to discuss until you discuss it with someone taking them too seriously. I think we should field a top-10ish team this year, but hard to tell how all plays out. Some interesting potential at LB for sure. Experience up front will help the DBs hopefully until they get their feet under them some.
I'd rather not be the preseason #1...because then EVERYBODY'S gunning for you.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 07:40 PM
It's the official name of the school and folks have been doing so for quite some time.

Ok, ok, you don't have to get all technical on me now! :)

KronoRed
08-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Well the official name of Florida is "University Of Florida" but nobody says GO UOF!

UOF sounds like an Eastern European compact car :D

BuckeyeRed27
08-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Well the official name of Florida is "University Of Florida" but nobody says GO UOF!

UOF sounds like an Eastern European compact car :D

A lot of people do call it UF though.

ochre
08-06-2006, 10:49 AM
or the inverse?

bucksfan
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm going to go on record as saying that Anthony Gonzalez is going to have a monster year this year.

He very well could. Kid is fast fast fast.

Highlifeman21
08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Tressel always puts together a fine defense, no worries there.

On your second point, I totally agree. "Tresselball" matched with this offensive juggernaut is, well, troubling. He should be airing it out or finding creative ways to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers. Instead he pounds it up the middle, plays for field position, and settles for field goals. I mean there is no way that the Fiesta Bowl with Notre Dame should have been 34-20; the Bucks manhandled Notre Dame and outgained them 617 to 348 yards.

http://www.scoreboard.msnbc.com/msnbc/main.asp?frames=0&sport=ncaafb1a&type=top&cat=box&box=200601020033

I wager Tressel's conservative playcalling will cost the team in at least one of the cold-weather games. An 11-1 or 10-2 season is a good bet, but there is almost no way this team goes undefeated.

A man after my own heart.

Finally, someone else realizes that Tressel gets a small lead, sits on it, and prays the D can hold it.

This year, his D is young and full of question marks, and he won't throw the ball more than on average 20-25 times a game. For the Buckeyes to realize their true offensive potential, they need to throw it minimum 30 times a game, and 10 of them need to be 25+ yards downfield.

Tressel will cost OSU a National Title shot this year.

Great coach, but needs to grow a pair offensively.

MWM
08-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree on Tressel. As those who discussed OSU football on here the last couple of years can attest, I can't stand Tressell's coaching style. I actually look forward to when he's gone. I agree he has cost them some games the past few years. The year after the National Championship, I thought his conservative style directly cost them the Wisconsin game that broke their winning streak. And they outplayed Texas last year and extreme conservative play calling down the stretch cost them the game (and playing Zwick over Smith). I agree with the idea that Tressel could cost them a National Championship.

max venable
08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
:rolleyes:

MWM
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

ochre
08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
He's run high scoring offenses in the past when he's had the horses (at YSU). I think this year will be telling, in that it's the first year he's had what should be a really good offense and a defense riddled with question marks.

MWM
08-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree, ochre. This year will be very telling. We KNOW this offense can produce if allowed to.

KronoRed
08-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but my point is people on UF boards don't put the O for of in, so I guess I think it's kind of silly to see OSU fans put the T in for The

:)

BuckeyeRed27
08-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, but my point is people on UF boards don't put the O for of in, so I guess I think it's kind of silly to see OSU fans put the T in for The

:)

They aren't as cool those of us at TOSU.

Tressel has cost us nothing. We have had closer wins, but there isn't a game Tressel coaching has cost us. NC State was about as close as it got and we still won.

ThornWithin81
08-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I can't wait to watch them dominate in the Shoe this year.

My favorite place to be on Saturdays? The student section. :thumbup:

bucksfan
08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Every coach will have his or her critics. IMO JT's modus operandi (I should not try to get too fancy if I cannot spell it!) has been basically conservative so far, but to say it cost us anything is debatable IMO. One never knows how the games will turn out, what game changing turnovers would have resulted from less conservative strategies, etc. I can understand in some part the fans that complain because they want a coach to "go for it" so to speak, but those same fans would have to be willing to live with the results of doing so, good or bad. In a given year that may or may not work depnding on the personnel, opponents, and a ton of chance, especially in the college game.

I agree that this year of all his years at tOSU (I use the abbreviation all the time, picked it up several years ago - sorta pretentious but kinda fun anyways ;) ) will be a year that seemingly calls for him to be less conservative on the average. But I am sure the specific game situation and "how things have been going" will still dictate a lot of his strategy decisions.

Cedric
08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Troy Smith willingly accepts the blame for the Texas game, and somewhat rightfully so.

A good coach can put his team into position to win and they must execute. Execution was horrendous in that game. Hoobler's late hit penalty, Hamby's drop, more missed tackles than Ive ever seen.

Puffy
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd rather not be the preseason #1...because then EVERYBODY'S gunning for you.

When you're Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Miami, etc everybody is already gunning for you.

registerthis
08-10-2006, 11:38 AM
With Tressel, I point to the record. I'm not a huge fan of his playcalling at times either, but save for his first season he's had practically nothing but success at OSU. Complaining that we didn't beat Notre Dame by enough in the Fiesta Bowl? Buckeye fans will gripe about anything. Yeesh.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Go Notre Dame! :D