PDA

View Full Version : Any Miami Alumni on the board?

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm class of '01..i live in L.A. and miss oxford like crazy.

redhawkfish
08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Class of 1990 here! Twenty seven days until we open with Northwestern!:beerme:

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
RIP Randy Walker :(

westofyou
08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
My wife went there for her first 2 years, couldn't get out of Oxford fast enough (to hear her tell it)We have a couple of friends who grew up there and when we meet over Christmas it's always up there.

They don't know it but we only go for the Bruno's pizza. ;)

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 12:34 PM
They don't know it but we only go for the Bruno's pizza. ;)

that, Donato's PIzza, SDS, Skipper's, and of COURSE Bagel N Deli...is Jimmy John's still uptown? that was a great late nite spot too

of coure Chuck died right after my freshman year! Chuck's had the best burgers/fries...

westofyou
08-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Bagel N Deli

They had great smoked cheese there, and some good bagels for being in farm land country... and I'm a bagel snob.

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
man im gettin hungry this morning with all this talk

redhawkfish
08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
My family still gets SDS pizza and subs before at least one football game each year for our tailgate food!

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
My family still gets SDS pizza and subs before at least one football game each year for our tailgate food!

my senior year i had a house with 3 brothers of mine down in the Ghetto..and one thing i loved about SDS was that they delivered pizza, beer, and cigarrettes right at your door.

u cant beat that.

oh and how can I forget Johnny's Deli on Tallawanda???? two blocks up from the ghetto!

loved that place too.

redhawkfish
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
You probably already know this site , but if you want to keep up on Miami sports
go to

www.miamihawktalk.com

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
yeah i havent been on there in a while. but good lookin out :)

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 02:10 PM
is Jimmy John's still uptown?
I think there's still a Jimmy Johns somewhere uptown... I've always enjoyed the "walk-thru" at the Wendy's uptown as well.

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
I think there's still a Jimmy Johns somewhere uptown... I've always enjoyed the "walk-thru" at the Wendy's uptown as well.

haha yeah...and i also heard that there's no more Attractions or First Run or Burger King up town anymore!

Cedric
08-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Ghetto in Oxford?

I know a ton of people that go there and they all hate to admit it.

redsfan30
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
My best friend goes to Miami so I'm on campus a good bit.

Some of the worlds hottest 18-25 year old girls reside in Oxford, Ohio....

dabvu2498
08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Some of the worlds hottest 18-25 year old girls reside in Oxford, Ohio....
And a whole bunch of the rest reside in Oxford, Mississippi.

Fil3232
08-04-2006, 04:58 PM
haha yeah...and i also heard that there's no more Attractions or First Run or Burger King up town anymore!

Burger King is gone. Attractions and First Run only disappeared in name. They are 45 E. and Brick St., respectively. Jimmy John's is still on High St. Wendy's burnt down and nothing has gone in its place yet.

Hope that update helps.

redsfanfalcon
08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Go Falcons!

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Burger King is gone. Attractions and First Run only disappeared in name. They are 45 E. and Brick St., respectively. Jimmy John's is still on High St. Wendy's burnt down and nothing has gone in its place yet.

Hope that update helps.

yeah i heard they only changd names..oh man memories of after bar/club burger king line and the shennanigans that went on inside.

Miami U is one of the greatest college experiences in the country. Walking uptown..walking home..late night eats..late night hook ups..female walks of shame from the dorms or house on a sunday morning. lololol

good times.

Sabo Fan
08-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Officially became a Miami alum on Thursday after I finished up a summer class. Actually I'll be heading down to Oxford this coming weekend for a reunion of sorts with some college friends. Probably hasn't hit me yet as far as how much I'll miss it, but it likely will come the middle of October or so. Some great times were had in that town and I'll miss frequent visits to Steinkeller (in all the years I was there I don't think I've ever figured out how to spell it), 45 East and Skyline.

reds44
08-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Cough go Northern Illinois cough.

redsrule2500
08-07-2006, 01:09 AM
I go to OU....

KalDanielsfan
08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Officially became a Miami alum on Thursday after I finished up a summer class. Actually I'll be heading down to Oxford this coming weekend for a reunion of sorts with some college friends. Probably hasn't hit me yet as far as how much I'll miss it, but it likely will come the middle of October or so. Some great times were had in that town and I'll miss frequent visits to Steinkeller (in all the years I was there I don't think I've ever figured out how to spell it), 45 East and Skyline.

you poor kids missed out on First Run when it was called that...(i wish i could say the nickname it had but i guess its against the rules on this board)..

they still do ghettofest and red brick rasta?

Sabo Fan
08-07-2006, 04:08 PM
you poor kids missed out on First Run when it was called that...(i wish i could say the nickname it had but i guess its against the rules on this board)..

It was First Run my first two years there and the nicknames have remained, though there are several to choose from.

I don't know if Ghettofest is still around or not, didn't see it mentioned anywhere last year, though it's very possible I simply didn't pay attention. Never went anyway.

Playadlc
08-08-2006, 02:34 AM
One of my friends, David Scott (not sure if you Miami grads remember him) played B-ball there and he still talks about how great of a school Miami (OH) was/is.

He absolutely loved that place.

Rychian
08-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I am a Miami Alum as well. It was ok, but after 4 years of living in that oxford bubble of "Daddy will take care of it." I couldnt wait to leave. My sister in law is a professor there now, so my brother lives near by. My wife and I went to see Miami about a year ago. Its different, but exactly the same. I graduated in 02

Caseyfan21
08-08-2006, 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure they still do red brick rasta but I don't go there so I'm not 100% sure. My girlfriend just graduated in May and I remember the name very well so odds are it is still happening. It's a nice campus, my dad went there and we always played Talawanda in sports. I've also dated my girlfriend who goes there for the past 3 years so I've been around campus quite a bit. If they had a decent engineering school I would have considered going there but they didn't really have what I wanted academically. That and tuition has doubled over the past few years.

dabvu2498
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I am a Miami Alum as well. It was ok, but after 4 years of living in that oxford bubble of "Daddy will take care of it." I couldnt wait to leave. My sister in law is a professor there now, so my brother lives near by. My wife and I went to see Miami about a year ago. Its different, but exactly the same. I graduated in 02
Joke: How many "Miami girls" does it take to change a tire?

Punchline: Four -- one to cry, two to mix drinks, and one to call daddy.

reds1869
08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Marshall alum here. While I hate the Redhawks, I have to admit I really miss the rivalry with you guys. Those games were a blast and we need to fire the series up again. We just signed with OU for a home and home...I would have preferred Miami, as our teams are on the same level and always had an intense back and forth. Not to mention the coaching staff vs. fan incidents, coaching staff vs. press box incidents, and paranoia induced spying accusations. Good times.

BTW Oxford is one of the most beautiful towns in the world. The red bricks are gorgeous.

westofyou
08-11-2006, 11:45 AM
but after 4 years of living in that oxford bubble of "Daddy will take care of it."
Over at Western it was a different situation (at least when I spent time there in the late 80's) more freaks by far.

My wife spilt because she didn't like the place enough to go two more years. So it wasn't perfect then either.

pedro
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I go to OU....

OU Rules. :)

LincolnparkRed
08-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I was always a fan of how the houses all had names so instead of saying what street it was on you could say another well known house near it. I also enjoyed kroger's very lax policy toward fake id's.

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
OU Rules. :)
I think OU grads are required by law to spell that "OU Rulz" ;)

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I was always a fan of how the houses all had names so instead of saying what street it was on you could say another well known house near it. I also enjoyed kroger's very lax policy toward fake id's.

All time greatest House name was this DG annex called "At Church and Almost High"

(church street, high street)

thought it was hilarious the first time i partied there.

KittyDuran
08-11-2006, 03:27 PM
All time greatest House name was this DG annex called "At Church and Almost High"

(church street, high street)

thought it was hilarious the first time i partied there.Our former house (which my family lived in the early 60s) was called "Dis Graceland"....:confused:

westofyou
08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I think OU grads are required by law to spell that "OU Rulz" ;)
Who said he graduated?

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Our former house (which my family lived in the early 60s) was called "Dis Graceland"....:confused:

located???

god i cant help but repeat myself ridiculously but i miss oxford almost every other day..i didnt appreciate it enough while living there...

i lived in a house in the ghetto called WHY STOP NOW? (we made a huge red stop sign out of wood identical to a real one just bigger and then in white graffiti spray paint style we wrote "NOW?")

i liked it.

remdog
08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Over at Western it was a different situation (at least when I spent time there in the late 80's) more freaks by far.

My wife spilt because she didn't like the place enough to go two more years. So it wasn't perfect then either.

Are you referring to Western College for Women? My first wife went there. She got married to me to escape the place. Little did I know....:dunno:

Rem

remdog
08-11-2006, 03:54 PM
located???

god i cant help but repeat myself ridiculously but i miss oxford almost every other day..i didnt appreciate it enough while living there...

i liked it.

That all goes away with time. Trust me, it happens.

Rem (Bowling Green, class of '68)

westofyou
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Are you referring to Western College for Women? My first wife went there. She got married to me to escape the place. Little did I know....:dunno:

Rem
Yep, but it was no longer a woman's college then.. it was the part of campus for interdisciplinary studies

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 04:30 PM

Rem

western was for the alternative learning experience. more of a arts and music and other independent study majors.

it was the greenwich village of oxford but i had some classes over there.

very hippy like atmosphere.

you could get great weed over there.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
That all goes away with time. Trust me, it happens.

Rem (Bowling Green, class of '68)

NEVER!!!

:)

westofyou
08-11-2006, 04:37 PM
very hippy like atmosphere.
Compared to where she ended up going (and where I went) it was a scene that was more nerdy then hippy.

http://www.manandmollusc.net/links_index_files/ZenSlug.gif

redhawkfish
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I agree with still playing Marshall, but I don't think it will ever happen. The days of the bad blood seem so silly now. We had a coach attack a defenseless press box, and another coach drill a very "intelligent" lawyer rushing the field to celebrate like an eighteen year old freshman kid. Our coach drove past Huntington to stay 50 miles away in Charleston.:rolleyes:
The message board "wars" were real mature on both sides also!:eek: The funny thing was that the players never seemed to have the same animosity to each other as the fans and coaches did.(i.e. Ben and Byron)

Marshall alum here. While I hate the Redhawks, I have to admit I really miss the rivalry with you guys. Those games were a blast and we need to fire the series up again. We just signed with OU for a home and home...I would have preferred Miami, as our teams are on the same level and always had an intense back and forth. Not to mention the coaching staff vs. fan incidents, coaching staff vs. press box incidents, and paranoia induced spying accusations. Good times.

BTW Oxford is one of the most beautiful towns in the world. The red bricks are gorgeous.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree with still playing Marshall, but I don't think it will ever happen. The days of the bad blood seem so silly now. We had a coach attack a defenseless press box, and another coach drill a very "intelligent" lawyer rushing the field to celebrate like an eighteen year old freshman kid. Our coach drove past Huntington to stay 50 miles away in Charleston.:rolleyes:
The message board "wars" were real mature on both sides also!:eek: The funny thing was that the players never seemed to have the same animosity to each other as the fans and coaches did.(i.e. Ben and Byron)

oh man I was born and raised and went to high school literally minutes away from Huntington and I hated Marshall. So when things got "heated" between fans I got so sick and tired of Marshall fans bringing up the 1970 game when the plane went down and the players died (that movie WE ARE MARSHALL coming out is based on) and the next game we trampled there intramural team back when points of victory was related to polls.

was it ethical? no. but marshall should have forfeited the game. they played, we had a national championship on the line (well we were competing for one) so what were we to do? it was a rock and a hard place.

As immature as it was, I loved every second being a student and hating my hometown school.

it was fun.

long live Mike Bath and travis prentice lol

remdog
08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Yep, but it was no longer a woman's college then.. it was the part of campus for interdisciplinary studies

I pre-date many on this board and when my ex-wife went there it was still a seperate collage.

I wasn't aware of any women attending there that studied or were very disciplined (in the normal sense of the word) :laugh: In the day....:p:

Rem

reds1869
08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
The game was in 1971. THE NEXT YEAR. Marshall played no games after the crash in 1970. Please get your story straight before spouting off and in the process insulting a community that is still very much unhealed from the plane crash. Hating the Herd is fine, but you strike me as one of the types who makes fun of those of us who take the crash seriouly...to me that is no different than insulting those whose family members died on 9/11. You didn't say it outright, but it's certainly implied based on so many who have said such things. Please think before you type.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/MUCRASH03/606200311/1100

oh man I was born and raised and went to high school literally minutes away from Huntington and I hated Marshall. So when things got "heated" between fans I got so sick and tired of Marshall fans bringing up the 1970 game when the plane went down and the players died (that movie WE ARE MARSHALL coming out is based on) and the next game we trampled there intramural team back when points of victory was related to polls.

was it ethical? no. but marshall should have forfeited the game. they played, we had a national championship on the line (well we were competing for one) so what were we to do? it was a rock and a hard place.

As immature as it was, I loved every second being a student and hating my hometown school.

it was fun.

long live Mike Bath and travis prentice lol

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 07:37 PM
The game was in 1971. THE NEXT YEAR. Marshall played no games after the crash in 1970. Please get your story straight before spouting off and in the process insulting a community that is still very much unhealed from the plane crash. Hating the Herd is fine, but you strike me as one of the types who makes fun of those of us who take the crash seriouly...to me that is no different than insulting those whose family members died on 9/11. You didn't say it outright, but it's certainly implied based on so many who have said such things. Please think before you type.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/MUCRASH03/606200311/1100

bro sorry to offend, i wasnt making fun of it. but to make miami out to be some villainous school was unfair as well.

i apolgoize if you took it in that way, i was just stating that there was an explanation for the pounding that took place. ethical or not, it was just how it was back then.

my sincere apologies. cool?

reds1869
08-11-2006, 08:09 PM
bro sorry to offend, i wasnt making fun of it. but to make miami out to be some villainous school was unfair as well.

i apolgoize if you took it in that way, i was just stating that there was an explanation for the pounding that took place. ethical or not, it was just how it was back then.

my sincere apologies. cool?

Thanks.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks.

:beerme: