PDA

View Full Version : Trade not the reason for slump

CaiGuy
08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
While I don't really support the trade, I don't think that the loss of Kearns and Lopez is the reason that the entire lineup has turned into one big out machine. They have done nothing in Washington yet to suggest that they would be carrying the offense here.

Narron is the one responsible. The lineups that he runs out are usually poorly consructed, and he continues to play the wrong players, leaving more deserving players on the bench. starting Clayton and Aurillia while Edwin and Deno when there are reasonable ways to get at least one of them in is hurting the offense.

While the line-up is obviously worse, the offense is not as bad as the last several games suggest.

It also doesn't help that Dunn and Griff are both slumping now. If they can starting hitting like they usually do, Clayton gets less PT, and if Narron starts putting the best possible starting line-up out there (the biggest if), they could still have an above average offense.

This wouldn't look bad at all (courtesy of RedsManRick i think):
Freel
Hatteberg
Dunn
EE
Junior
Aurilia
Phillips
Ross

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
It looks like a good lineup, but not realistic. Phillips would have to move to SS or Aurilia would have to play SS. Neither will happen this season.

Redsfan08
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
the reason for the slump is jerry narron he cant manage a game

MaineRed
08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Edwin is in there tonight and thanks to him it is 2-0. Braves.

But Narron will be blamed by the masses.

Redsfan08
08-04-2006, 09:42 PM

who started at 3b the other five gms we lost exactly aurillia it is narron why we cant win he obviously dosent know how to get a good team chemistry going.

redsmetz
08-04-2006, 09:48 PM

Jerry Narron only swings a bat during fielding practice. He doesn't go up to the plate for anyone. Everyone of our players is a professional and the line-up isn't the reason they're not hitting.

TeamBoone
08-04-2006, 11:58 PM

How about thanks to Aurilia.

Yeah, the throw was a bit off, but very catchable at 1B.

realistic
08-05-2006, 12:55 AM

Is true, his defense is why hes on the bench. Its too risky and his bat is not good enough to compensate. Hopefully this winter he can improve his glove.

BOO !! Bad defensive third baseman.
HOORAY !! Winter ball

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 02:02 AM
His throw wasn't that far off. It was catchable.

jimbo
08-05-2006, 02:16 AM
His throw wasn't that far off. It was catchable.

It may have been "catchable," but it was an absolute horrible throw. He basically lobbed it to first and looked timid doing it.

Falls City Beer
08-05-2006, 02:18 AM

I liked that two-run double by Edwin. I liked it a lot. Gave the Reds their first lead in a game in nearly a week. :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
08-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Funny how people were quick to claim the trade was responsible for the Reds' post-All Star winning streak. Now that the team has hit a slump, suddenly the trade isn't a factor.

RedsManRick
08-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Timid comes from knowing that if you screw up the throw that you're likely to spend the next week on the bench. EE needs confidence and he's not gonna get it working with Bucky Dent.

Razor Shines
08-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Timid comes from knowing that if you screw up the throw that you're likely to spend the next week on the bench. EE needs confidence and he's not gonna get it working with Bucky Dent.
I guess I understand this and I've been in favor of EE getting more playing time. But if he's going to be timid or afraid to make a play because he might not get to play, do you want that guy in the game in a big situation? What if he gets timid in a playoff game because he's afraid of letting down his team mates? I've always felt that good players have confidence in themselves even when other people don't. I think that confidence can come from mostly practice and yes getting more game time, but he's a big boy he should be able to find confidence in his abilities (which are great). I think EE is going to be a star in the MLB for a lot of years to come, but I don't think him making an error because he's afraid to lose playing time is a good argument for more playing time.
A two run double to give us the lead, however, is.

reds44
08-05-2006, 02:44 AM

Did Edwin give up the homer? No
If Rich was starting at 3B does he even get to that ball? No
Should Rich have picked that ball? Yes
Did Edwin have the go ahead 2 run double in the 6th? Yes

RedsManRick
08-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Rich Aurilia was quoted tonight about his offense coming from playing consistently. EE could make the same claim re: his defense.

Razor Shines
08-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Rich Aurilia was quoted tonight about his offense coming from playing consistently. EE could make the same claim re: his defense.
Maybe but he was making errors earlier this year when he was playing everyday.

PuffyPig
08-05-2006, 10:19 AM

Did Rich's double put the runners in position to score on EE's double? Yes

Ltlabner
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Is Reds44 wonderlust for EE creaping me out? Yes. :)

TDHND
08-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Edwin should be the everyday 3rd basemen. Enough said.

traderumor
08-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the board, Mrs. Narron

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Do you mean that EE's claim would be that his defense suffers because he does not play consistently?

Here's the Aurilia article.

08/05/2006 2:05 AM ET

Notes: Stability paying off for Aurilia
Infielder benefiting from everyday play, regular position
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Playing every day lately has been quite becoming for infielder Rich Aurilia's offensive production for the Reds.
Aurilia entered Friday batting .339 (20-for-59) with three homers and seven RBIs since the All-Star break, while playing 17 of the last 19 games. His on-base-plus slugging percentage was a robust .985. In the first half, he batted .267 with an .807 OPS.

Most of the 34-year-old's plate appearances have come while playing regularly at third base and batting fourth. Because Edwin Encarnacion was a fixture at the spot, Aurilia saw a reduced amount of playing time in the first half. But his solid glove created increased playing time in place of the more error-prone Encarnacion.

"I'm a guy that's used to playing every day," Aurilia said. "Ask any hitter -- it's hard to get on a roll when you're not playing consistently. Earlier in the year, I was just playing against lefties. Then I started playing against some really tough righties. Then I started playing against everybody. When you play consistently, you have a chance to find your comfort zone. I think that has a lot to do with it."

Playing mostly one position might have benefited Aurilia as well. He had hits in 20 of 23 games since July 1, but was 0-for-3 as the Reds notched only two hits in Thursday's 3-0 loss to the Dodgers.

"Does it help knowing you're going to be in there at one spot? Yeah," Aurilia said. "Because anytime you play a lot and can come in and not have to look at the lineup and know where you'll be, mentally that takes a little off your mind. We don't have the luxury around here to do that. We have a lot of different lineups and a lot of different guys playing."

Incidentally, Friday marked Reds manager Jerry Narron's 94th different lineup used in 109 games this season.

Still, Aurilia had gotten so used to being at third base lately that he was surprised when he found out Thursday he was the starting second baseman as Brandon Phillips was rested.

It was only Aurilia's second start at second base this season, his first since April 15.

"It's weird," Aurilia said. "Because the other day, I was thinking, 'I don't know if anybody remembers that I played shortstop for 10 years and 70 games at second base last year, because I hadn't played there in a while.' I showed up yesterday and I was at second."

On Friday, with left-hander Chuck James pitching for Atlanta, Aurilia started at first base for lefty hitter Scott Hatteberg. Lately, Narron has been seeking chances to boost the offense by having both Aurilia and Encarnacion in the lineup.

"It helps that I've been in pennant races before and played through times like this," Aurilia said. "To me, it shows more that I move around. They trust me to play anywhere and I have confidence to play anywhere."

Aurilia went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning double and scored a run in Friday's 5-4 win over Atlanta.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060804&content_id=1592848&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

jimbo
08-05-2006, 02:15 PM

Then what was his excuse when he was playing everyday?

If EE's "confidence" is so fragile that it's damaged because of lack of playing time, then he'll probably never be a very good player. He's a major league baseball player, not a 10 year old kid. He needs to suck it up and get the job done when he gets his chances.

Falls City Beer
08-05-2006, 07:49 PM
He needs to suck it up and get the job done when he gets his chances.

Rich needs to suck it up and not suck like he did today. ;)