PDA

View Full Version : Is Freel a Gold Glove Outfielder???

kaldaniels
08-05-2006, 12:57 AM
After tonights grab, I say yes...he is a strong candidate provided he plays a full season. Abreu was last year's winner and is gone now. Also the GG relies so much upon reputation *coughEdmondscough* and Freel has quite the "webgem" reputation.

kheidg-
08-05-2006, 01:02 AM
He is a gold glove utility player. I just don't think his value would ever be maximized playing one position...

pahster
08-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Abreu wasn't even close to deserving of that Gold Glove. According to the rankings compiled in The Fielding Bible, he was 28th among qualifying right fielders. Owch.

And no, I doubt Freel is gold glove quality. He does seem to have a lot of range for a corner OF, though.

kaldaniels
08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
And I did mean to say provided he plays RF a full season...just FYI.

marcshoe
08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
How many games could Ryan Freel play in the outfield before he would have to be fitted with a body cast?

Falls City Beer
08-05-2006, 01:10 AM
How many games could Ryan Freel play in the outfield before he would have to be fitted with a body cast?

I say let's find out. :)

SteelSD
08-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Freel might not be a real Gold Glover type at any position he plays, but he's good enough at any of them to be a real option. And yes, that includes Center Field and Second Base should the Reds ever actually commit to defense rather than just give lip service.

KronoRed
08-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Freel takes out grandmothers for his team

That's gold glove.

GAC
08-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Gold glove, and I hope an iron head after seeing him hit that wall last night. He moved the front row along the RF wall back about 6 inches! :lol:

And while the earlier play was spectacular, I don't think he used very good judgment on the last play. I mean, he's chasing/tracking a well hit flyball, and runs full steam into the wall, while not even coming close to making the play.

Why not play back an take the ball on a hop in that particular situation?

I love the guy. I wish more players on this team played the game like him. But he doesn't always use sound judgment.

If he had dropped that earlier ball (which was foul), what would people be saying?

RBA
08-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Freel doesn't have enough RBI's and Extra Base Hits to win the Gold Glove. :D

Ltlabner
08-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Gold glove, and I hope an iron head after seeing him hit that wall last night.

Based on the number of "you know's" in Ryan's "star of the game" interview, I'd say the iron head part of that equation is a definate yes.

I kid, I kid.

He did, however, utter at least 55 "you know's" in the SOTG with the Bad Boy. My father and I got laughing so hard that we may have missed a few more.

37red
08-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Do you know what gold is going for now? And how about copper, have you seen how much it's gone up?

kaldaniels
08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Do you know what gold is going for now? And how about copper, have you seen how much it's gone up?

Boo-yah.

IslandRed
08-05-2006, 10:07 AM
should the Reds ever actually commit to defense rather than just give lip service

Be careful what you wish for. A true commitment to defense -- which I define as proven and current ability to play the position well, not "maybe he'd be better over here" or "he'll get better, we think" or "he used to be good" or "he hits enough to make up for it" -- would mean sacking some guys whose bats I'd like to keep around.

But yes, I know what you were implying and I agree.

Matt700wlw
08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I thought Freel was one of the dumbest baseball players ever... :)

GAC
08-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Ryan literally gives new meaning to the term "tearing down walls". ;)

KronoRed
08-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Guess we'll have to switch to aluminum

redsrule2500
08-06-2006, 12:58 AM
I would assume, if he played consistantly, he would be gold glove winner

GAC
08-06-2006, 06:08 AM
I would assume, if he played consistantly, he would be gold glove winner

If he could survive the contest! :lol:

You keep using your body like a human battering ram, with no regard to the consequences, and not only won't you be in there consistently, but it's gonna catch up to you physically.

The human body and inanimate objects don't mix. The latter is gonna win a majority of the time.

FlyingPig
08-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Some of you don't like it when Junior and (formerly) Lopez dog it out there going after plays..

you don't like it when Dunn and Rich A can't get to balls out there...

you don't like it when Freel busts his butt to get to EVERYTHING out there...

What is it exactly that you DO like?

:confused:

baseballPAP
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
The reckless abandon is a beautiful thing to watch, from a "give it all" type on the softball field like me. However, I play on the weekends, and whine and bi%#$ about it for 3 days after. The guy doesn't have a "back-off" option...he'll play that way wherever you put him, so if Freel in RF is our best option, put him out there and pad the walls more.

Redsland
08-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Batters wear armor to the plate.

Freel should consider wearing one of those sumo suits in the field.

:)

Chip R
08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
What is it exactly that you DO like?

:confused:

They are Nihilists. They don't like anything.

TOBTTReds
08-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I love it.

But Freel should wear a helmet out there.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 04:09 AM
They like disliking stuff

kaldaniels
08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
After this past inning...anymore takers out there???

Crash Davis
08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Absolutely.

BoydsOfSummer
08-08-2006, 09:24 PM
That one might have been his best yet.

membengal
08-08-2006, 09:35 PM
That one, at that juncture, may have been one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen a a Reds player make.

Ltlabner
08-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't know about being a GG but that catch tonight to rob Pooholes of a 2 run double was simply amazing. He was fully extended when he caught the ball and came up firing.

He appeared to be mad that he didn't get the runner with his throw. That's the kind of player I want on my team. Takes away 2 runs from the other team and is still mad that he didn't convert on the out.

Tommyjohn25
08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
That one, at that juncture, may have been one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen a a Reds player make.

I just made this same comment to my Dad on the phone.

corkedbat
08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I've heard enough of the "he's too valuable as a utility player" stuff. Either make him a regular at 2B or RF and make him a fixture at the top of the lineup.

I could live with tonight's lineup on a regular basis next year if you replaced the Claystro/Castron creature at short with Phillips (althoughI'd prefer a younger 2B option with more range than Aurilla).

And speeaking of future gazing, if we can't move his salary,. Milton might turn out to be a decent 4th or 5th option in the rotation as long as Narron yanks him by the end of the 6th inning at the latest when he's leading. Of course, that's an awfully Yankeesque salary for a 4th/5th 6-inning starter on a mid-market team like the Reds.

StillFunkyB
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM

That was. Only other play I can remember in recent memory is the diving stop, and throw from FeLo in Chicago a couple of years ago.

KronoRed
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
He could have hog dogged that catch, only hot doggers get the GG ;)

08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Manny Ramirez and Willy Mo Pena make some really fantastic plays sometimes too, but if their gloves were to get wet they would rust instead of bead up.

guttle11
08-09-2006, 01:34 AM

You're out of your element.

As far as Freel, yes, but only if he plays 75% of the games from here on out in RF. He's thrown out a few guys at the plate this year as well.

reds44
08-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Ryan Freel is amazing. I have rode him harder then any other poster on the board, but I can't do it anymore. The guy is simply amazing. He plays everywhere, and he plays well everywhere. Could you ask for a better leadoff hitter? He does some stupid stuff yeah, but he is simply amazing. I only hope he can hold up for the last 2 months of this year, and all of next year. He deserves to be starting somewhere on the diamond. He has earned it more then anyone else on this team.

KronoRed
08-09-2006, 03:48 AM
I've heard enough of the "he's too valuable as a utility player" stuff. Either make him a regular at 2B or RF and make him a fixture at the top of the lineup.

I could live with tonight's lineup on a regular basis next year if you replaced the Claystro/Castron creature at short with Phillips (althoughI'd prefer a younger 2B option with more range than Aurilla).

And speeaking of future gazing, if we can't move his salary,. Milton might turn out to be a decent 4th or 5th option in the rotation as long as Narron yanks him by the end of the 6th inning at the latest when he's leading. Of course, that's an awfully Yankeesque salary for a 4th/5th 6-inning starter on a mid-market team like the Reds.
If Milton can give us 5 decent innings that's better then 2 and getting bombed in the 3rd :lol:

The "Start Freel" brigade from 2 years ago welcomes the newcomers :D

buckeyenut
08-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Ryan Freel is amazing. I have rode him harder then any other poster on the board, but I can't do it anymore. The guy is simply amazing. He plays everywhere, and he plays well everywhere. Could you ask for a better leadoff hitter? He does some stupid stuff yeah, but he is simply amazing. I only hope he can hold up for the last 2 months of this year, and all of next year. He deserves to be starting somewhere on the diamond. He has earned it more then anyone else on this team.

IMO the ONLY real knock on Freel is the fact that he is tough to keep on the field for 140+ games. But that is all I see. I love the rest of his game.

WVPacman
08-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Ryan Freel is simply AMAZING,I am proud he is on our side wearing a reds uni.This guy plays hard every game he is out there and husles like no other.I have said it before and I will say it again.This guy needs to be an everyday player b/c he pumps up the team,coachs,and exspecially the fans with his great play.:beerme: