PDA

View Full Version : Watched an impressive young pitcher last night

RANDY IN INDY
08-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Went to the Charlotte Knights/Rochester Red Wings game last night and came away very impressed with Rochester's young pitcher, Matt Garza. The kid (6'4" and 195lbs out of Fresno State) had a great game against the first place Charlotte team. Pitched 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk and 11 strikeouts. Fastball was hitting 95-96 early and still hitting 94 in the 7th inning on a very hot night. Excellent control with a real sharp, biting curveball and pretty good change. Fastball seemed to be exploding late on the Charlotte hitters. Real impressive for only his 3rd game in AAA. Was the Twins 1st pick, 25th overall in the '05 draft. Liked him a lot.

kaldaniels
08-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Went to the Charlotte Knights/Rochester Red Wings game last night and came away very impressed with Rochester's young pitcher, Matt Garza. The kid (6'4" and 195lbs out of Fresno State) had a great game against the first place Charlotte team. Pitched 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk and 11 strikeouts. Fastball was hitting 95-96 early and still hitting 94 in the 7th inning on a very hot night. Excellent control with a real sharp, biting curveball and pretty good change. Fastball seemed to be exploding late on the Charlotte hitters. Real impressive for only his 3rd game in AAA. Was the Twins 1st pick, 25th overall in the '05 draft. Liked him a lot.

I believe I saw a blurb about this kid in this week's SI.

cincinnati chili
08-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Randy. I hear that the Twins are reluctant to bring him up because he "relies on his fastball too much."

Do you buy that? I've never seen him pitch.

I can understand that they're worried about him being another Rich Hill of the Cubs (who gets behind hitters in the count in the major leagues, while AAA hitters whiff at his first pitch out of the zone), but it seems from his stats alone that he'd be a big improvement over the Twins #5 starter-du-jour. And they're in a pennant race.

RANDY IN INDY
08-05-2006, 11:47 AM
It was a hot, humid night in Charlotte, chili, and he used his curveball a lot on 1 strike counts, and it really was breaking sharp and down. He then was just blowing people away with the fastball, which was "electric" last night. He had the velocity and movement last night to do that. I don't know if he throws it that well all the time. Looks to me like he needs to work a little more on the changeup to be really successful at the big league level, but based on one performance, he has better stuff than a lot of guys that I see pitching at the big league level. Sometimes, I think that scouts and gm's get too hung up on the "relies on fastball too much theory." Sometimes better to rely on a good fastball than a couple of pitches that are average or below average, which we see a lot of.

cincinnati chili
08-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Thx Randy.

dougdirt
08-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Garza is a VERY good prospect. One of the top pitchers in minor league baseball right now.