PDA

View Full Version : Corky is back...

Team Clark
08-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Corky Miller has been called up by the Red Sox for those who are interested.

redsfan4445
08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
i didnt know he was with the Red Soxs AAA team? i liked him when he was here.. i remeber when he was hitting well, i saw him hit a homer at a game and he looked like a softball player rounding the bases. good luck to him, might be his last shot though

MrCinatit
08-05-2006, 10:30 PM
So, let me get this straight.
Corky Miller is with the Redsox.
Isn't Kelly Stinnet still with the Yankees?
The AL East in indeed a powerhouse. :p:

Joseph
08-05-2006, 10:33 PM
How many catchers do the Red Sox need?

Edd Roush
08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I'll never forget my experience with Corkey Miller at Redsfest in 2002 or 2003. All of the other Reds had hour long lines, but Corky had a really short line. My buddies and I walked up to Corky and since there was no one really behind us, we got to talk to him. Talking to him was just like talking to a random guy on the beach. He was such a nice guy and if you didn't know any better, you would have no idea that he was one of the few men who get to don a Reds' uniform.

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
How many catchers do the Red Sox need?
mirabelli went down last night and sprained an ankle

which is why javy got into the game to pinch hit for him and went 0-4

Team Clark
08-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Stinnett was released so they could make room for Sal Fasano. I would love to know the resoning behind that. Fasano is the worst catcher in the majors behind Chris Widger.

Heath
08-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Stinnett was released so they could make room for Sal Fasano. I would love to know the resoning behind that. Fasano is the worst catcher in the majors behind Chris Widger.

Which is ironic, since Widger's now an Oriole.

If the above is true - there HAS to be a market for Jason LaRue.

Tom Servo
08-05-2006, 11:47 PM
It's the mustache, people are just drawn to it.

blumj
08-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Don't tell me there's a worse catcher in the majors than Javy Lopez, because I don't believe you. Please, tell me Corky Miller can catch. And maybe throw. You know, little things like that.

dougflynn23
08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
:) One hell of a nice guy. Here's to a good little run for Corky in Boston.

redsupport
08-06-2006, 12:37 AM
cprky was in the midst of a hot streak I believe in the Dallas Williams mode about 1 for 36

Team Clark
08-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Don't tell me there's a worse catcher in the majors than Javy Lopez, because I don't believe you. Please, tell me Corky Miller can catch. And maybe throw. You know, little things like that.

Corky is a pretty good catcher. I agree Javy is not that good. He's in the top 5 Worst.

VI_RedsFan
08-06-2006, 09:03 AM
cprky was in the midst of a hot streak I believe in the Dallas Williams mode about 1 for 36

Dude, use periods. I have no clue what you just said.

VI_RedsFan
08-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Please, tell me Corky Miller can catch. And maybe throw. You know, little things like that.

Actually, Corky is pretty darn good behind the plate. The guy can't hit to save his life though.

icehole3
08-06-2006, 09:10 AM

Where do you rank Cowboy (LaRue)? Im not very high on him. I dont like some of his comments to the media.

blumj
08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Yep, Corky Miller, starting catcher, batting 9th for the Red Sox today. Wish Corky luck, because he gets the thankless job of catching Jason Johnson, one of the worst pitchers in the majors this season, who allows a ton of baserunners and works excrutiatingly slowly.

Dunner44
08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I saw Stinett playing for the yankees early in the season when the subway series was on ESPN and i nearly died laughing.

blumj
08-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, he caught fine, 0-4 w/7 lob wasn't real pretty. He reminds me a little of Mirabelli, both catching and hitting style.

Team Clark
08-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Yep, Corky Miller, starting catcher, batting 9th for the Red Sox today. Wish Corky luck, because he gets the thankless job of catching Jason Johnson, one of the worst pitchers in the majors this season, who allows a ton of baserunners and works excrutiatingly slowly.

I rank LaRue in the middle. LaRue is a catcher that needs to catch often. He has to develop a rhythm behind the plate. He receives average, he throws above average, blocks average and calls a game poorly. Puts him in the middle of the pack. There are not a lot of good catchers in the bigs right now. Although it looks like there are several really good ones coming up throughout the Minor Leagues.

blumj
08-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Team Clark, if you don't mind, who are some of the best catchers right now? How do you judge game calling ability from the outside, or can you?

Team Clark
08-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Team Clark, if you don't mind, who are some of the best catchers right now? How do you judge game calling ability from the outside, or can you?

Great question.

Some of the best catchers "tools" wise are:

Benji Molina
Yadier Molina
Joe Mauer
Kenji Jojhima
Brad Ausmus
Brian Schneider
Brian McCann
and I would say David Ross as well.

I do not factor in their throwing as much as I do receiving the ball, presentation, "boxing in" a batter, blocking, range and ability to field bunts. I also try to factor in who do I think is most "intuitive". As a Catcher you need to be a manager as well and anticipate the offense. Ausmus is #1 at this. Does a catcher read the batter in the box? Is he throwing behind runners at 1B with a pitcher on the mound who is 2.0 or worse to the plate? Is he repeating sequnces? Things like that?

Pitchers are getting worse and worse at holding runners on. I had two big league catchers at 1.90 to 2B a while back and the runners beat the throw by 2-3 feet. That's not a steal on the Catcher my friends. Some credit needs to got to base stealers too.

It's hard to give general parameters on game calling. That would just be flat out Monday Morning Quarterbacking. I need to be charting the game and see what tendencies the pitcher/catcher have and how effective the catcher is using the pitchers best and worst pitches that day. You need situations, a break down of AB's and a sense of what works and what doesn't to get a real sense if a guy knows what he is doing.

i.e. Left Hand hitters are quickly figuring out Arroyo likes to "flip" a curve in for his first pitch strike. During the ATL series Harang did the same thing and McCann blasted it. Arroyo tried it and got the same result. 2nd time around the league you can not mimmick pitch patterns. The "good" teams have REALLY GOOD people watching these games and communicating what they see. McCann knew what to look for and he made the pitchers pay.

MartyFan
08-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I know we are in a thread that is about ALL THINGS CORKY but I am curious to get your thoughts on how Lohse did today...how he looked on par with other MLB pitchers from a scouts pov?

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I know we are in a thread that is about ALL THINGS CORKY but I am curious to get your thoughts on how Lohse did today...how he looked on par with other MLB pitchers from a scouts pov?

I did not see him throw today. I really can not tell you.

blumj
08-07-2006, 01:15 AM
I know we are in a thread that is about ALL THINGS CORKY
Poor Corky. He gets called up only as a last resort, goes 0-4 with 7 lob, gets PH for by a guy who's 0-9, loses his 1st game as a Red Sox on a walkoff after blowing a 4 run lead, then he gets his thread hijacked. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have his own thread on any Red Sox boards. I hope he at least gets to start another game.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Poor Corky. He gets called up only as a last resort, goes 0-4 with 7 lob, gets PH for by a guy who's 0-9, loses his 1st game as a Red Sox on a walkoff after blowing a 4 run lead, then he gets his thread hijacked. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have his own thread on any Red Sox boards. I hope he at least gets to start another game.

This thread went just like his night... LOL!:laugh:

rdsfn
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I saw Corky catch a few weeks ago when Pawtucket came to Columbus to play the Clippers. He's really not that mad of a catcher. I didn't know he played for Boston either, until they announced him.