PDA

View Full Version : Coach staff in 2007

redsmetz
08-06-2006, 07:27 AM
I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and thought I'd start a new thread. What will the Reds coaching staff look like next year? Who stays, who shouldn't stay.

What got me thinking about this was wondering how the pitching coach slot will play out next year. Can Vern Ruehle come back, is his cancer pretty bad? Should Tom Hume get the position fulltime or are we better with him as the bullpen coach?

What about Bucky Dent? Chris Chambliss? I think we need to lock him up for a long, long time. I'm not sure about the others.

Here's the whole staff:

7 Bucky Dent Bench Coach
32 Billy Hatcher First Base Coach
55 Mark Berry Third Base Coach
58 Vern Ruhle Pitching Coach
49 Chris Chambliss Hitting Coach
47 Tom Hume Interim Pitching Coach
43 Lee Tunnell Interim Bullpen Coach
72 Mike Stefanski Bullpen Catcher

Highlifeman21
08-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Keep:

Billy Hatcher
Chris Chambliss
Tom Hume (as only a bullpen role)
Bucky Dent

Send packing:
Mark Berry
Vern Ruhle (even without health concerns, he needs to go)
Lee Tunnell
Mike Stefanski

Hopefully a better overall pitching coach would help Narron find a clue as to when to pull starters and how to use his bullpen.

Mark Berry seems to be Cincy's version of Wendell Kim...

StillFunkyB
08-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Vern Ruhle (even without health concerns, he needs to go)

Care to elaborate on that?

Highlifeman21
08-06-2006, 10:21 AM
What has he done to show that he's an improvement over Donny G?

What has he done to realistically help our pitching staff?

I feel bad that he has health issues, but even if he were 100% healthy, I don't feel that he adds anything to this team from a coaching perspective.

Completely my opinion, just how I feel.

LINEDRIVER
08-06-2006, 10:31 AM
What about Bucky Dent? Chris Chambliss? I think we need to lock him up for a long, long time. I'm not sure about the others.

Narron is signed thru the 2008 season with a club option for 2009. Not sure exactly what you mean by a 'long, long time', however it's doubtful Chambliss would be signed for a long, long time. It would be highly unusual for a hitting coach to have more security than the field manager.

If Ruhle cant come back, a replacement should be hired with Hume moving back to the bullpen.

IMO, one coach NEEDS to go. Mark Berry doesn't know what he's doing about 33% of the time. He had no business getting the third-base gig and he has no business keeping the third-base gig.

VR
08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I haven't noticed Mark Berry over at third at all this year.
A finer compliment could not be paid to the Reds 3b coach.

Matt700wlw
08-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Mario Soto as pitching coach would be cool....

I don't think it will happen, though.

Joseph
08-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Agreed, its not as though we're getting runners nailed at home with regularity.

BrooklynRedz
08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Send packing:
Mike Stefanski

How close are you to the Reds that you are able to evaluate the performance of the bullpen catcher? Did he run over your dog?

redsfan4445
08-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Mario Soto as pitching coach would be cool....

I don't think it will happen, though.

If not Soto, Then i would like to see Rijo!

Highlifeman21
08-06-2006, 03:08 PM
How close are you to the Reds that you are able to evaluate the performance of the bullpen catcher? Did he run over your dog?

Twice.

I think the bullpen catcher should be a guy to help as a set of eyes for mechanics and to spot check things, and I don't think this guy is doing a good job, primarily b/c Hume has had to play interim PC.

KronoRed
08-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Soto would be a nice pitching coach, hopefully he would work out better then the last former Reds ace to have the job ;)

reds44
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Except for the little mishap in St.Louis where he almost injured Junior by sending him in a 7-0 game. Then he took out Edwin by holding the runner at 3rd.

StillFunkyB
08-06-2006, 05:05 PM
What has he done to show that he's an improvement over Donny G?

What has he done to realistically help our pitching staff?

I feel bad that he has health issues, but even if he were 100% healthy, I don't feel that he adds anything to this team from a coaching perspective.

Completely my opinion, just how I feel.

Thank you, I appreciate the honesty.

He didn't have a whole lot of time with this team, and sadly I don't think he will get another chance.

From everything I have heard, he was held in very high regards by many baseball people.

StillFunkyB
08-06-2006, 05:05 PM

Or any thirdbase coach for that matter.

Agreed.

Team Clark
08-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Twice.

I think the bullpen catcher should be a guy to help as a set of eyes for mechanics and to spot check things, and I don't think this guy is doing a good job, primarily b/c Hume has had to play interim PC.

Well I guess that settles that. Since you need someone to do all of those things you would need Mike Stefanski. Geez....

KronoRed
08-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Except for the little mishap in St.Louis where he almost injured Junior by sending him in a 7-0 game. Then he took out Edwin by holding the runner at 3rd.
Bring back Windmill Oester!

Team Clark
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
If Perlozzo gets canned in Baltimore... SUICIDE Sam Perlozzo T-Shirt Day!!!

Chip R
08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I want Prom Date Foli back.

Cedric
08-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Ya know, I honestly don't have any idea if the bullpen cather deserves to come back or not.

Ltlabner
08-07-2006, 07:32 AM
My biggest concern would be addressing coaching of the pitching staff. Ignore the names and roles for a second. The fact is Narron doesn't have a good touch for handling starters or the bullpen. He needs one or more people who can help him along and not be afraid to speak up and say, "this guy is out of gas" or "it's time to put in ABC".

Only going by the reasoning that Narron continues to have pitching staff gaffes does it appear that the current coaches who impact the pitching staff may not be cutting the mustard. Maybe it's just Hume as he is the one standing right next to Narron most nights. Then again, Hume might be screaming "pull Milton now" and Narron isn't listening.

My only point is that Narron need a pitching mentor/trainer more than a pitching coach.

Jpup
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Billy Hatcher appears to have secured his job for awhile. It's just the feeling I get while watching the games. He seems to be doing a fine job. Mark Berry has cost the Reds a few runs this season, he went in a deep slump earlier in the season. I can't recall him doing anything too wrong lately. I don't think changing 3rd base coaches would really make much of a difference though.

Chris Chambliss has earned a chance to manage in the big leagues IMO.

Chip R
08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Then again, Hume might be screaming "pull Milton now" and Narron isn't listening.

Yep. You could have Leo Mazzone in there but the final decision is Narron's.

BrooklynRedz
08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Ya know, I honestly don't have any idea if the bullpen cather deserves to come back or not.

I don't either...and for that reason, I'm not going to call for the dude's job on a messageboard to be read by friends and family.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Then again, Hume might be screaming "pull Milton now" and Narron isn't listening.

He should hold up a sign that we can all see :evil:

Ltlabner
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
He should hold up a sign that we can all see :evil:

That's not a bad idea. Maybe a red light on top of the dougout like the one on top of a TV camera. When the red light turns on we'd all know it was time and could help Jerry along with the decsion to pull the starter.

Better yet, how about one of those flashing red lights like on top of hockey goals or on that Kiss song, "Firehouse"? Even with a MDX babe dancing on top of the dougout we'd be sure to see that Boom-Boom Hume is wanting to pull the plug.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
That's not a bad idea. Maybe a red light on top of the dougout like the one on top of a TV camera. When the red light turns on we'd all know it was time and could help Jerry along with the decsion to pull the starter.

Better yet, how about one of those flashing red lights like on top of hockey goals or on that Kiss song, "Firehouse"? Even with a MDX babe dancing on top of the dougout we'd be sure to see that Boom-Boom Hume is wanting to pull the plug.

You guys are a scream. That is some funny stuff. It would be even funnier if they put two relievers names on the scoreboard and whoever got the loudest cheers got to go in...

Ltlabner
08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
You guys are a scream. That is some funny stuff. It would be even funnier if they put two relievers names on the scoreboard and whoever got the loudest cheers got to go in...

Now that's a great idea. I hate that thing where they play the song and the crowd is supposed to vote by chearing. But, if you switched it to relievers as you suggest, I'd be into it totally.