PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bray a starter next year?

penantboundreds
08-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I think this kid is the real deal, but besides that...the tbs announcers just said that he may be converted to a starter next year. Are they just blowing smoke or do you think that's a real possibility? Sorry if posted....I have never read or heard anything about that possibility.

penantboundreds
08-06-2006, 04:07 PM
thanks.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
He's basically a 2-pitch guy,so that keeps him in the bully I'd think.

wheels
08-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I really don't know about him as a starter.

He looks like he gets lots of outs because of his goofyish delivery. It's better to give the other team limited looks.

flyer85
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
blowing smoke. No reason to believe he will be converted, he has always been a reliever.

dsmith421
08-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Most likely its the Braves announcers making stuff up.

If the Reds leaked this info, it's probably a CYA move to make what almost everyone believes was a completely disastrous trade a little more palatable to the fans.

traderumor
08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, the two pitches don't bode well for his future as a starter. Hopefully this Reds' regime will quit the nonsense of trying an approach that will fail 50 times for every time it has worked.

traderumor
08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Most likely its the Braves announcers making stuff up.

If the Reds leaked this info, it's probably a CYA move to make what almost everyone believes was a completely disastrous trade a little more palatable to the fans.Pssssst, if one is worried about the PR of a move, they wouldn't have made the move in the first place. See Linder, Allen, Bowden, O'Brien, et al., they're no longer running the franchise according to the reaction of the populace. They may be winning some and losing some, but I think these guys understand a consistent winner brings in Reds' fan, not whether or not the guys calling Andy Furman give a thumbs up or a thumbs down

dsmith421
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Until Castellini and Krivsky can build a consistent winner, they need to convince fans things are headed in the right direction. Trading away two popular players for a package of guys who have been pretty awful is not going to engender any confidence. And if there is a surfeit of negativity on talk radio and around the water coolers of SW Ohio (as, anecdotally, this trade has caused), people are going to be far less likely to come to the park.

KronoRed
08-06-2006, 06:15 PM
He last started a game in College when he was a freshman.

Braves guys must have been confusing him with someone else

traderumor
08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Until Castellini and Krivsky can build a consistent winner, they need to convince fans things are headed in the right direction. Trading away two popular players for a package of guys who have been pretty awful is not going to engender any confidence. And if there is a surfeit of negativity on talk radio and around the water coolers of SW Ohio (as, anecdotally, this trade has caused), people are going to be far less likely to come to the park.
I have had enough of management that worries about "negativity on talk radio and around the water coolers," regardless of this particular trade.

dsmith421
08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I have had enough of management that worries about "negativity on talk radio and around the water coolers," regardless of this particular trade.

I don't want them making deals based on PR, but they damned well better consider the aftereffects and attempt to spin things the right way in order to keep the fanbase motivated and interested. There is no way to spin Majewski and Clayton so far, so you might as well pump up Bray as a solution.

This entire argument is moot, of course. Occam's Razor tells me the Atlanta guys just made the whole thing up.

traderumor
08-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't want them making deals based on PR, but they damned well better consider the aftereffects and attempt to spin things the right way in order to keep the fanbase motivated and interested. There is no way to spin Majewski and Clayton so far, so you might as well pump up Bray as a solution.

This entire argument is moot, of course. Occam's Razor tells me the Atlanta guys just made the whole thing up.They did spin when the trade was made, plenty. But I don't think Krivsky is the type that thinks about the implications of a deal to the fans of the team as a part of the decision making process. That is all I'm saying. The same could not be said for the old regime.

dsmith421
08-06-2006, 07:39 PM
They did spin when the trade was made, plenty. But I don't think Krivsky is the type that thinks about the implications of a deal to the fans of the team as a part of the decision making process. That is all I'm saying. The same could not be said for the old regime.

Which old regime? If you're referring to Lindner generally, then I can dig that, given the Larkin deal. But O'Brien's trades had nothing to do with PR, hell, they didn't have anything to do with baseball sense. I've never seen a GM go further to piss off the fans than O'Brien.

WVRedsFan
08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
They did spin when the trade was made, plenty. But I don't think Krivsky is the type that thinks about the implications of a deal to the fans of the team as a part of the decision making process. That is all I'm saying. The same could not be said for the old regime.

Yeah. Remember when Krivsky said that Chris Denorfia was more than Austin Kearns' equal in RF. Boy, that's worked out, right?

deltachi8
08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
i think it is more likely to see Bray as the closer on this team next year.

LINEDRIVER
08-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I think there is a good possibility that Bray will fall into the closer's role in 2007.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
i think it is more likely to see Bray as the closer on this team next year.

Yeah I have to put my money on Closer. Weathers is gone.. Everyday Eddie may be back but his injuries would get him a small contract laced with incentives. If they are using Bray now when Eddie can't go shows they have a idea where this kid could fit in.

WMR
08-06-2006, 09:46 PM
How fast can Bray dial up the ole heater?

Any chance of getting him a change-up?

I know that, who was it, Rijo (?) worked with some Reds pitchers on their change-ups this past ST.

Barbarossa
08-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Believe it was Soto who helped some of the pitchers in Spring Training. As for this talk about Bray becoming a starter, it's just talk. Frank Robinson had said, when Bray was with Washington, that Bray one day would be a good starter or a closer. Nice complement. I think the Reds agree with Robinson. He'll make a great closer.:beerme:

Spitball
08-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Believe it was Soto who helped some of the pitchers in Spring Training. As for this talk about Bray becoming a starter, it's just talk. Frank Robinson had said, when Bray was with Washington, that Bray one day would be a good starter or a closer. Nice complement. I think the Reds agree with Robinson. He'll make a great closer.:beerme:

I'm reading these posts and wondering, "Did anyone really hear the comment?" Yes, they were quoting F. Robby and he said he'd make a great starter or closer. Hey, managers blather. Announcers blather. It was no big deal, but I assume Bray stays in relief.

pedro
08-07-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm reading these posts and wondering, "Did anyone really hear the comment?" Yes, they were quoting F. Robby and he said he'd make a great starter or closer. Hey, managers blather. Announcers blather. It was no big deal, but I assume Bray stays in relief.

I heard it and I was pretty sure they said that the Reds management thought he "projected" as a starter.

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I thought I read this exact thing in the Chicago papers when the trade happened -- that he was going to be used in relief and that Cincinnati had long-term hopes of him becoming a starter -- and I remember that because I was surprised that nobody brought it up here. But I have no source for that except my memory, so that's not very helpful.

doug flynn
08-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Unless Bray can learn a change like Soto's (a very good one), he had better stay in the pen. If Bray could learn a good change-up, he'd be lights out as a closer. For his age, the kid seems to have the "make-up" to end games.

On the subject of Soto/change-up, I'd like to see him working with every Reds pitcher. That's a pitch that can change careers, no pun intended.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 04:05 AM
This kid has never thrown more then 59 innings in a season in college the minors or MLB, if they try and make him a starter I foresee many bad things happening.

princeton
08-07-2006, 08:02 AM
if the Reds project an impact starter, then he should begin starting next year.

if the Reds simply hope for a starter but don't really see one (as they hoped that FeLo could be a shortstop but didn't really think that he could do it), then he should stay in the bullpen.

baseball's neither brain surgery nor superstition. But it does require reasonable decisions, made decisively.