PDA

View Full Version : Livan to Dbacks

DoogMinAmo
08-07-2006, 12:46 PM
... for two minor leaguers

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5852074

Depends on what Arizona gave up, but you would think he could have helped.

guttle11
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
He still may help us...

kaldaniels
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
From the other board???
Waiver deal fails, so Livan staying put in D.C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2541719

Nationals pitcher Livan Hernandez -- the subject of much trade speculation -- will be staying in Washington for the rest of the season, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported Sunday night.

The reason? After Hernandez was placed on waivers last Tuesday and claimed by an unnamed team, a deal could not be worked out. Hernandez was then withdrawn from waivers and, by rule, cannot be dealt the rest of the season.

The 31-year-old Hernandez is slated to make $7 million in 2007 and, as he struggled earlier this year, trade interest from other teams faded. However, Hernandez's strong outing against the Padres on Sunday was his third in a row, showing signs he is turning around his season.

But he won't be turning it around for another team.

Hernandez is 9-8 this season with 5.34 ERA. He has given up 176 hits in 146 2/3 innings and opponents are hitting .299 against him. Barring injury, Hernandez will likely reach 11 wins for the seventh straight season.

DoogMinAmo
08-07-2006, 12:57 PM
He still may help us...

You are aware that the Dbacks are 1 game behind the Reds in the wildcard? The Dbacks glaring weakness has been their starting pitching, Livan is an improvement for them. I don't see help there?

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
You are aware that the Dbacks are 1 game behind the Reds in the wildcard? The Dbacks glaring weakness has been their starting pitching, Livan is an improvement for them. I don't see help there?
Livan has been flat horrible this year. I don't see how he's a huge upgrade in that rotation, thus he still may help us this year by losing games for the Diamondbacks.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Unless Livan manages a miracle turnaround, this move helps the Reds.

pedro
08-07-2006, 01:03 PM
He's had good outings his last 4 starts and his bad stats are do to about 5 shellings. He may not be a bad pickup but I wouldn't want to be on the hook for his slary next year.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
His K/9 dropped below 5.5 last season and remains there this season. He has pitched better lately, but you have to wonder if he really has anything left in the tank.

kaldaniels
08-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Check out Livan's season stats...worse than say Milton. Do you think Milton would help the D'backs...hey, you may, but then consider Livan has been much worse than Uncle Miltie.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Unless Livan manages a miracle turnaround, this move helps the Reds.

Last 5 games:

4-1, 3.27 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 6.27 K/9

I think he helps the Diamondbacks, actually.

paulrichjr
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Personally I like Milton for 6 innings. I wouldn't ever let him pitch more than that but he is quiet good for 6. (He is a good number 4 starter)

I would have loved getting Livan thrown in on the kearns deal but we all know that Krivs got all he could get for Kearns and Lopez. JK

NDRed
08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Diamondbacks acquire Nationals' L. Hernandez for prospects
Aug. 7, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

WASHINGTON -- Livan Hernandez was traded by the Washington Nationals to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday for a pair of minor league pitchers.

Hernandez, 31, is 9-8 this season with a career-high 5.34 ERA in 24 starts. The right-hander has been hampered by a sore knee for most of the season but had a strong outing Sunday, allowing two runs over seven innings at San Diego.

The Nationals received two 23-year-old prospects: right-hander Garrett Mock and left-hander Matt Chico. Both will report to Washington's Double-A affiliate, Harrisburg, of the Eastern League.

The move is symptomatic of last-place Washington's desire to build for the future under new owner Ted Lerner, while Arizona is looking for an edge in the competitive NL West. The Diamondbacks trailed first-place San Diego by two games entering Monday's play.

Arizona dealt Hernandez's half brother, Orlando Hernandez, to the New York Mets earlier this season.

AP NEWS

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Two 23 year old arms is a nice deal for the Nats

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Nice move for Washington.

Livan might get re-energized by being in the playoff race though. Historically, he's done it before. Considering how hard it is to get pitching this year, I can't blame AZ for taking the risk. Big salaries never seem to be that big of an issue for them.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Last 5 games:

4-1, 3.27 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 6.27 K/9

I think he helps the Diamondbacks, actually.

Absolutely. This should be plenty to win the Wild Card for the D-Backs. And could take them to the NLCS.

I really wish he or Maddux had been Krivsky's target.

15fan
08-07-2006, 04:34 PM
The move is symptomatic of last-place Washington's desire to build for the future under new owner Ted Lerner, while Arizona is looking for an edge in the competitive NL West.

I've never seen mediocre spelled c-o-m-p-e-t-i-t-i-v-e.

NJReds
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Absolutely. This should be plenty to win the Wild Card for the D-Backs. And could take them to the NLCS.

Although if Webb's elbow continues to keep him on the shelf, the D'backs will have trouble making the playoffs.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 04:46 PM

If he can actually sustain those numbers, then yes, absolutely.

Personally, I think he'll be closer to the 1.40 WHIP, 5.5 K/9 pitcher he has been for the past two seasons.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I've never seen mediocre spelled c-o-m-p-e-t-i-t-i-v-e.
It's a nice way to say it ;)

flyer85
08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
nice move for botrh teams. The DBacks didn't traqde away any regulars. :D

jmcclain19
08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Josh Byrnes was on XM today and basically said, this was a move to block the Reds, Cardinals, Mets, Padres et al from picking him up. Since they were the lowest placed team to put in a claim, they figured they would work out something for him. He said they were interested in getting him, but it was first and foremost a move to block him from going somewhere else.