PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Franklin is a Red

Danny Serafini
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Per Marc's blog, more details coming.

realreds1
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Wonder if they're shutting Claussen down for the year...?

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Might be a nice little pickup. What was the reason he was DFA'd by Philly again?

HotCorner
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Hmm. Who's the odd man out? With Claussen and Merker due back, three moves have to be made. My guess is EG gets DL'd, Magic gets either DL'd or optioned and ... ?

jimbo
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
He's been pretty inconsistant, a decent April, got rocked in May, a pretty good June, got rocked again in July. I wonder who goes?

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
My guess is Majewski will be on the next bus towards Louisville. Standridge, while not being great hasn't exactly been horrible all season. Majewski on the other hand has done nothing to help this team at all.

It'll be interesting to see who goes.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Hopefully Harang's thumb isn't worse than they're letting on....??

Joseph
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
The very definition of throwing something against the wall and seeing if it sticks. Some people do it with pasta, Krivsky does it with pitchers.

Are we sure he's not related to Bowden?

BRM
My guess is Majewski will be on the next bus towards Louisville. Standridge, while not being great hasn't exactly been horrible all season. Majewski on the other hand has done nothing to help this team at all.

It'll be interesting to see who goes.

I really don't see Wayne demoting Majewski. DL maybe but not AAA.

Gainesville Red
Awesome. I woke up this morning wishing the Reds would go pick up another inconsistent reliever.;)

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2006, 02:16 PM
As much as I would like to see it, I don't think Majewski's going anywhere - he's likely out of options and would have to be DFA'd.

Nice pickup...not upset about it.

kaldaniels
08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
As much as I would like to see it, I don't think Majewski's going anywhere - he's likely out of options and would have to be DFA'd.

Nice pickup...not upset about it.

Likely out of options??? Not according to Marc.

kbrake
08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Majewski has options.

OesterPoster
08-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Ryan Franklin has never been a Twin. What gives?

:)

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Krivsky will make the right move. It will be Majewski. Wayne knows he's killing this team and hamstringing Jerry Narron.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Krivsky will make the right move. It will be Majewski. Wayne knows he's killing this team and hamstringing Jerry Narron.

I agree. I see so many accusing Krivsky of making moves to save face and to put himself before the team when he has shown me nothing of that nature. He will do what's best for the Reds and if that means optioning Majewski to Louisville, he will do it.

Blimpie
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Hopefully Harang's thumb isn't worse than they're letting on....??He is scheduled to pitch Wednesday versus Chris Carpenter...my guess is that Eddie Guardado is heading to the DL.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:29 PM
I agree. I see so many accusing Krivsky of making moves to save face and to put himself before the team when he has shown me nothing of that nature. He will do what's best for the Reds and if that means optioning Majewski to Louisville, he will do it.
I've never seen anyone say that about Krivsky, but if they have they have NO CLUE what they're talking about.

Yan-DFA
McCraken-DFA
White-DFA
Kata-DFA
Mays-DFA

Those are "his guys." He brought them in and when they didn't work out he DFA'd them and moved on.

redsupport
08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
do youthink the phils would give one of their competitors a reasonable pitcher?

Kc61
08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
My guess is that both Standridge and Majewski will be sent out soon. In Majewski's case, AAA makes more sense than the DL because he can return in ten days rather than 15.

Man, can Krivsky pile up these relievers.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I've never seen anyone say that about Krivsky, but if they have they have NO CLUE what they're talking about.

Yan-DFA
McCraken-DFA
White-DFA
Kata-DFA
Mays-DFA

Those are "his guys." He brought them in and when they didn't work out he DFA'd them and moved on.

They've implied it by making comments that basically say that Krivsky will not option Majewski to Louisville because he traded for him.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
They've implied it by making comments that basically say that Krivsky will not option Majewski to Louisville because he traded for him.
I don't believe that for a second. Krivsky wants to win, not boost his reputation. If he had a problem with sticking with his guys, Joe Mays would still be in the Cincinnati rotation and Rick White would be closing.

LoganBuck
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
In Majewski's case I would like to see him sent to Louisville and rested for two weeks. Give him a tune up game or two and bring him back. He was abused by Washington and a little good rest could really help him. He is not this bad.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't believe that for a second. Krivsky wants to win, not boost his reputation. If he had a problem with sticking with his guys, Joe Mays would still be in the Cincinnati rotation and Rick White would be closing.

I agree, I don't believe it for a second either. But I have read comments of that nature on here.

reds44
08-07-2006, 02:56 PM
No reason for Majewski to AAA. DL him with tired arm, and bring him back in a couple weeks.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
No reason for Majewski to AAA. DL him with tired arm, and bring him back in a couple weeks.

Exactly what I read on another board just happend, although I haven't been able to verify it yet. Reportedly came from John Fay, Majewski to the DL for should inflammation.

reds44
08-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Exactly what I read on another board just happend, although I haven't been able to verify it yet. Reportedly came from John Fay, Majewski to the DL for should inflammation.
That would certainly make alot of sense.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
From Lancaster's blog, the following moves have been made:

# Ryan Franklin acquired from the Phillies, should be in uniform tonight
# Kent Mercker activated from the DL
# Gary Majewski placed on the 15-day DL with "inflammation" in his right shoulder
# Jason Standridge placed on the 15-day DL with back spasms
# Matt Belisle sent to Louisville on a rehab assignment
# Brandon Claussen returned from his rehab assignment but NOT reinstated

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Mercker and Franklin are now here and Majewski and Standridge both were DL'd.

Four lefties in the bullpen now...

jimbo
08-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The big question is what's going to be done with Claussen. He has returned from his rehab assigment but has not been reinstated. They have to make a decision today, correct? Any chance he gets DFA'd?

terminator
08-07-2006, 03:11 PM

Yan-DFA
McCraken-DFA
White-DFA
Kata-DFA
Mays-DFA

FWIW, I think White was Kullman's error.

VR
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Mercker and Franklin are now here and Majewski and Standridge both were DL'd.

Four lefties in the bullpen now...

Merck and Cormier both perform well against righties.

redsupport
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
see what the philly cognoscenti believe by clicking on www.philsphans.com

Brian
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
The call on Claussen will come, or can come tomorrow, which is his last day on the 15-day.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Merck and Cormier both perform well against righties.

Does Jerry know this? He always has them pitching againt lefties....

dabvu2498
see what the philly cognoscenti believe by clicking on www.philsphans.com
Pure hillarity!

Rockermann
The call on Claussen will come, or can come tomorrow, which is his last day on the 15-day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Claussen doesn't have to come off the DL. He just ran out of the alloted time for his rehab. He can stay on the DL. There's no hurry to do anything with him.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Claussen doesn't have to come off the DL. He just ran out of the alloted time for his rehab. He can stay on the DL. There's no hurry to do anything with him.
Correct. He can stay on the DL the rest of the year if that's what the Reds so decide.

CTA513
08-07-2006, 04:12 PM

# Gary Majewski placed on the 15-day DL with "inflammation" in his right shoulder

Im hoping all that Majewski needed was a few weeks off after being used alot by the Nationals.

If Claussen is going to be joining the team he should probably be used as a LOOGY out of the bullpen
or a spot starter when they need one. Claussen vs. Left: .164, Claussen vs. Right: .331.

crazybob60
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Me and a friend we just emailing back and forth about this and wondering just what could be done and after about 4 emails we came to the same conclusions above with the exception of Standridge, we thought he would be sent down to AAA not on the DL.

I can tell you this, that this move for Franklin actually surprised me, but I am really glad we have a guy in the FO that is making moves and not just sitting there albeit small ones.

I am also very curious as to what will happen in say 2 weeks when some of these guys are ready to come off of the DL, I wonder if Narron will actually have to part with one of his veterans in Mercker or if we will have to actually go back to a 2 catcher team?

keeganbrick

These are all good moves for the time being.

REDREAD
Whether you agree with Wayne or not, at least he is trying hard.

Maj just wasn't working.. Whether he was hurt or not, something needed to be done. Part of the reason we lost yesterday (last game of Atlanta series) was because the bullpen was short.. Weathers needed rest, Guaradado is hurt, Standbridge is a crapshoot that can only be used with no runners on, and Maj is useless.. That makes it tough for Narron.

UPRedsFan
08-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Good news on Merker! I feel alot better about him than Majewski in the 7th inning. But how does Claussen come back as a LOOGY unless EG goes on the DL? Maybe he, Belisle, Standridge and Majewski will stay DL'd until September 1??? That'll make for a pretty deep bullpen in September.

Raisor
08-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Whether you agree with Wayne or not, at least he is trying hard.

Oh swell, he's "trying hard".

yippie.

I wish he's try harder then.

I think the problem with Wayne is that compared to DanO he's Branch Ricky. But then compared to DanO Krusty is Branch Ricky.:devil:

dunner13
08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Considering that we will probably give up almost nothing for franklin how can you not like the move. If it doesnt work out, oh well nothing lost. He could become one of the key pieces in our bullpen down the stretch, or he could become joe mays, but if we gave up nothing then its worth the risk. At least it sends the message to the team that the GM cares and he really does want to win.

Raisor
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Considering that we will probably give up almost nothing for franklin how can you not like the move. If it doesnt work out, oh well nothing lost..

If it doesn't work out, then actually yeah, there will be losses.

The problem with signing the Joe Mays' and the Ryan Franklins of the world is that they eventually get to play.

crazybob60
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
The best thing I like about Wayne K is that he knows when to cut his losses from a bad move/investment and move on, and he does so in a rather timely manner per se. Not like keeping them around for the rest of the season. He has impressed me thusfar. I just hope that the Franklin move works out for us in the positive in the end!

realreds1
08-07-2006, 04:44 PM

The problem with signing the Joe Mays' and the Ryan Franklins of the world is that they eventually get to play.

Maybe we can get JimBo back. I mean, isn't he trying to sign Soriano to a long-term deal? Something most people in MLB think will not happen? Already calling his decision to hang on to him one of the worst non-moves prior to the trading deadline?

BRM
08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe we can get JimBo back. I mean, isn't he trying to sign Soriano to a long-term deal? Something most people in MLB think will not happen? Already calling his decision to hang on to him one of the worst non-moves prior to the trading deadline?

What does Jim Bowden have to do with Krivsky trading for Ryan Franklin?

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh swell, he's "trying hard".

yippie.

I wish he's try harder then.

I think the problem with Wayne is that compared to DanO he's Branch Ricky. But then compared to DanO Krusty is Branch Ricky.:devil:

Well, after Mr Status Quo, anything looks good :laugh:

I think Franklin can have value to this team if he becomes a decent long man.
It would be nice to have someone to put in the 5-8 innings when the team is behind. If we had a decent long man, then we wouldn't need to waste Cormier and Weathers in games like LA when we were behind.

Because before this trade we had no long man. Maj has been useless and Gardado is hurt, so yesterday Narron was basically been stuck with a five man bullpen with no long man.

I don't think Franklin is a savior by any means, but he could be useful to eat innings when we are losing, and keep the rest of the pen rested for the close games.

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 04:51 PM

It may not be a bad move to keep Soriano if he wasn't offered much for him.
Keeping Soriano (even if he can't be resigned) is worth it if Bowden wasn't offered at least one sure thing prospect/young player along with a couple prospects.

It will help Bowden in the next trade. It reminds me a lot of the year the Reds weren't contending, but Bowden refused to give away Mike Morgan and Mercker, despite the fact that we were out of the race.

In contrast, teams know that Pittsburg will always settle for the best offer. So Pitt gets low balled a lot. Pitt is seldom in the position to demand a premium return.

I have no idea what Bowden was actually offered for Soriano, but if it was analogous to a Denofornia and a couple Olmedos, it was a good thing not to trade Soriano.

camisadelgolf
08-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Correct. He can stay on the DL the rest of the year if that's what the Reds so decide.
Actually, if a player feels he is on the disabled list undeservedly, I think the player may have the option to do some sort of arbitration hearing or something like that to determine whether the disabled list is appropriate or not.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
FWIW, I think White was Kullman's error.
But it was Krivsky who kept him around till the end of June

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Maj has options. If he is healthy and can pitch, he'll be sent to Louisiville to try to get straightened out if there is no spot here. No sense having him just sitting there. I think the Reds have high hopes for him, despite his numbers so far.

He'll be 27 next year and I'm sure the Reds expect him to be a big league pitcher. I wouldn't worry about using his (last?) option. Could pay off if he can get back to his normal self.

camisadelgolf
08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I believe this is his last option year and that he can be optioned an unlimited number of times this year.

James B.
08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Im hoping all that Majewski needed was a few weeks off after being used alot by the Nationals.

If Claussen is going to be joining the team he should probably be used as a LOOGY out of the bullpen
or a spot starter when they need one. Claussen vs. Left: .164, Claussen vs. Right: .331.

That is a great idea with Claussen. He is very deceptive against left handed hitters. The reds need a left hander like that in the pen.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
But it was Krivsky who kept him around till the end of June
Didn't that turn out to be because Kullman put some sort of clause into White's contract saying that he couldn't be cut or whatever until sometime in June?

osuceltic
08-07-2006, 05:18 PM

He should have traded a player to be named later for Dontrelle Willis or someone good. That would have been a great move. That's what I would have done. I would have even thrown in Jason LaRue.

vic715
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Me and a friend we just emailing back and forth about this and wondering just what could be done and after about 4 emails we came to the same conclusions above with the exception of Standridge, we thought he would be sent down to AAA not on the DL.

I can tell you this, that this move for Franklin actually surprised me, but I am really glad we have a guy in the FO that is making moves and not just sitting there albeit small ones.

I am also very curious as to what will happen in say 2 weeks when some of these guys are ready to come off of the DL, I wonder if Narron will actually have to part with one of his veterans in Mercker or if we will have to actually go back to a 2 catcher team?
they'll probably hold those guys on the DL until Sept.1st when they can expand the roster.

puca
08-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I am frightened how bad this has become.

It if simply amazing to me that a team which has traded for 6 BP arms in the past month can still be so needy.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I am frightened how bad this has become.

It if simply amazing to me that a team which has traded for 6 BP arms in the past month can still be so needy.

Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne. I hope he learns his lesson very well.

Rocket_Fuel
08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne. I hope he learns his lesson very well.

Yeah he is so bad he has the Reds in first in the Wild Card and in the thick of the division title race.

Gallen5862
08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...7/c1597562.jsp
Reds acquire Franklin from Phillies
08/07/2006 3:53 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- General manager Wayne Krivsky's production of "Extreme Makeover: Bullpen Edition," continued Monday with another pitching acquisition.
The Reds acquired right-handed reliever Ryan Franklin and cash from the Phillies for a player to be named later.

A former starter converted to a relief role, Franklin was 1-5 with a 4.58 ERA in 46 appearances and 53 innings with Philadelphia this season. The 33-year-old was designated for assignment on July 30.

Franklin, who also spent parts of six seasons with the Mariners from 1999-2005, has made 106 starts in the Majors. He signed as a free agent with the Phillies with the expectation of starting, but was sent to the bullpen during Spring Training.

Since July 6, the Reds have acquired six relief pitchers through trades and overhauled their bullpen. Eddie Guardado, Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Kyle Lohse and Rheal Cormier were the additions. Only Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Todd Coffey have been with the club since the beginning of the season.

Cincinnati made several other roster moves on Monday. Mercker (elbow) was activated from the 15-day disabled list. Placed on the 15-day DL were Majewski (right shoulder inflammation) and Jason Standridge (back spasms).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne.

:mooner:

ikkirus
08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
do you mean such futility as aquiring bronson arroyo, d. ross, b. phillips, and Hatte for the net loss of Wily Mo? Of which you could say Phillips would be in the running for team MVP and Arroyo has potential to lead the team in ERA and possibly (not likely anymore) in wins? Ross in place of Larue....no argument needed. Any problem with Hatte's OBP and glove?

They had no chance with the bullpen we had....although it hasn't been as strong as we had hoped, it still puts them in much better position as before the pre-deadline bullpen.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 08:01 PM
do you mean such futility as aquiring bronson arroyo, d. ross, b. phillips, and Hatte for the net loss of Wily Mo?

I believe he's referring to re-making the bullpen with the likes of Cormier, Franklin, Majewski, Yan, Lohse, and Guardado.

Not exactly guys whose names would spring to mind when posed with the question "Which MLB pitchers should the Reds try to acquire in order to revamp their bullpen?"

This is still by no means a "great" bullpen. It's average, at best. And it has been the ONLY thing focused on for improvement by Wayne over the past two months.

keeganbrick
08-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I believe he's referring to re-making the bullpen with the likes of Cormier, Franklin, Majewski, Yan, Lohse, and Guardado.

Not exactly guys whose names would spring to mind when posed with the question "Which MLB pitchers should the Reds try to acquire in order to revamp their bullpen?"

This is still by no means a "great" bullpen. It's average, at best. And it has been the ONLY thing focused on for improvement by Wayne over the past two months.
After seeing Lohse's stuff I think he has a pretty big ceiling.

NWbuckeye
08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum. I grew up in Ohio a Reds fan, but have lived on the west coast for the past thirty years. I am currently living in the Northwest and have followed the Mariners closely the last six years. I noticed a disturbing trend of the Reds picking up mariner rejects. If anyone is curious about Franklin here goes:

He was excellent in long relief during the M's 2001 playoff run. He became a starter and pitched really well for two consecutive years with absolutely horrible run support. He developed the nickname 'Lucky' in the M's forums. Last year he struggled. He failed a drug test, but denied any wrong doing. He took the over-the-counter, I didn't know what was in it defense, and at one point in the season he fought in the dugout with our lousy pitching coach Bryan Price. I always liked Franklin. He tends to be a fly ball pitcher(as is Eddie). Neither one of these guys are suited to a smaller ballpark, but at times when Franklin is on he has the potential to shut down the opposition.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM

Let's not leave out Bray who has the biggest upside of all of them. Cormier had the lowest ERA amongst all relievers in the NL. The only two who have not worked out so far is Yan and Majewski. Not every acquisition is going to work, but 5 out of 7 ain't bad.

Gainesville Red
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=NWbuckeye]Hello All,
QUOTE]

Welcome aboard.

Dunner44
08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Looked very good tonight. K of the Big P was huge.