PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire Ryan Franklin from Phils

realreds1
08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Was this a trade? Or simply a waiver claim?

According to Marc's blog...

Piling up the pitchers

The Reds have acquired right-hander Ryan Franklin from Philadelphia.

More info to come...

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Ugh.

kbrake
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I just got a text message on my phone....says for a player to be named later.

Reds Fanatic
08-07-2006, 01:16 PM
More info from Marc's blog:

The Reds have acquired right-hander Ryan Franklin and cash from Philadelphia in exchange for the proverbial player to be named later.

Franklin, 33, is expected to be in uniform for tonight's game. He was 1-5 with a 4.58 ERA in 46 relief appearances for the Phillies before being designated for assignment July 30. He's on a one-year deal that's paying him $2.6 million this year. Prior to this year, he was used mostly as a starter in Seattle.

A corresponding move will be made prior to the game. And for the record, yes, Gary Majewski does have options remaining.

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
More info from Marc's blog:

I can't believe it..appears he's hinting we might be demoting Majewski.

Kearns and Lopez for Billy Bray and Royce Clayton.

It just gets worse and worse.

Reds Fanatic
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I can think of 3 moves they may make

Demote/DL/DFA Majewski
Demote Standridge
DL Guardado

Blimpie
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I can think of 3 moves they may make

Demote/DL/DFA Majewski
Demote Standridge
DL GuardadoThat one is where money is going....

Heath
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
i can't believe Ryan Franklin's 33.

Oh well, another living breathing pitcher. Maybe he can be traded for himself come September.

BCubb2003
08-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Maybe Gully can fix him.

redsmetz
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't believe it..appears he's hinting we might be demoting Majewski.

Kearns and Lopez for Billy Bray and Royce Clayton.

It just gets worse and worse.

Well that would be the short term view. You assume that Bray and Majewski are just for this year. Whether Majewski goes down now (and if he does, it will most likely be just until September), he's in the Reds plans for the future. I think everyone has said that Clayton is most likely just here for this year and was a throw in (oh we don't need this SS, here take him). And we got two minor leaguers in the deal too.

I don't know Franklin at all, but if Majik is moved, it's for now, not for later.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Well that would be the short term view. You assume that Bray and Majewski are just for this year.

I thought that's exactly why all of the moves to "fix" the bullpen were made--for this year? Certainly, some players are signed for longer term deals than that, but the idea was to acquire player who could help the Reds both now and later. If the goal was later, certainly we would have been pursuing porspects in lieu of vets and marginal younger players?

redsmetz
08-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I thought that's exactly why all of the moves to "fix" the bullpen were made--for this year? Certainly, some players are signed for longer term deals than that, but the idea was to acquire player who could help the Reds both now and later. If the goal was later, certainly we would have been pursuing porspects in lieu of vets and marginal younger players?

I don't disagree with that, but it is also very possible, as some have suggested, that Majewski may be tiring, his arm may be fatigued, etc. Maybe he just needs to get his head on straight. I think he can prove to be a good pickup, but something is clearly not right (either mentally or physically, I don't know) and we're better served looking at the long term. To suggest, as was done, that the deal comes down to just Bray and Clayton is just absurd. It's a long term move on this one.

Heath
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The apathy of past performance really can place an anchor on things.

Yikes.

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't disagree with that, but it is also very possible, as some have suggested, that Majewski may be tiring, his arm may be fatigued, etc. Maybe he just needs to get his head on straight. I think he can prove to be a good pickup, but something is clearly not right (either mentally or physically, I don't know) and we're better served looking at the long term. To suggest, as was done, that the deal comes down to just Bray and Clayton is just absurd. It's a long term move on this one.

If his arm is tired, fatigued, over-wussed, etc...then our scouts have to do a little bit better of a job.

Heath
08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
... certainly we would have been pursuing porspects in lieu of vets and marginal younger players?

I never would ask any one to pursue porspects. They have those little quills that they shoot at you and they hurt. :D

redsmetz
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not familiar with Ryan Franklin. What's the scoop on him, plusses and minuses, etc. Please no "he's the worst" etc. I'd like to know what his past has been, what's he doing this year (not much if they were DFA'ing him, I'm guessing). Thanks.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
If his arm is tired, fatigued, over-wussed, etc...then our scouts have to do a little bit better of a job.

Agreed.

I've no doubt that there is something physically wrong with majewski, because he's by no means as bad as he's been since coming to the Reds. The problem is, I also don't think he's nearly as good as he was last year witht he Nationals. I think the Reds got a pitcher who'll give them 80-90 IP, a 4.50 ERA, and a WHIP somewhere in the 1.30-1.40 range. Those types of pitchers are a dime a dozen.

With regards to Ryan Franklin...<yawn>. Just another body who might or might not blow up on the mound. I guess the thinking here is, if you throw enough stuff to the wall, some of it has to stick.

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm not familiar with Ryan Franklin. What's the scoop on him, plusses and minuses, etc. Please no "he's the worst" etc. I'd like to know what his past has been, what's he doing this year (not much if they were DFA'ing him, I'm guessing). Thanks.

I was always impressed with him when I watched him in Seattle (on TV - I wasn't actually there). He's not going to headline our rotation, but I think he'll be useful.

Course, we need to check his BABIP.

redsandrails
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
He got busted with roids IIRC. Can anyone confirm?

dabvu2498
08-07-2006, 02:16 PM
He got busted with roids IIRC. Can anyone confirm?
Correct.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2122665

edabbs44
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Remember when we got Moehler and Dempster? That's what this season feels like.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Majewsi to the DL, and also Standridge to DL...Mercker OFF the DL

macro
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
He went 4-16 with a 4.90 ERA in '04 and 8-15 with a 5.10 ERA last year. Ugh.

redsmetz
08-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the input, folks.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Maybe Gully can fix him.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SirFelixCat
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Majewsi to the DL, and also Standridge to DL...Mercker OFF the DL

That "may" be the reason Magic was so poor?

Stewie
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Franklin was serviceable as a reliever this season (read: not atrocious), but he kept complaining about how he wanted to be a starter. Based on his previous track record from when he was starting, I'm not sure why he felt he deserved that right. As a long reliever, he'd be fine, I guess. The Reds could do worse. Of course, they could also do a lot better.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Franklin was serviceable as a reliever this season (read: not atrocious), but he kept complaining about how he wanted to be a starter. Based on his previous track record from when he was starting, I'm not sure why he felt he deserved that right. As a long reliever, he'd be fine, I guess. The Reds could do worse. Of course, they could also do a lot better.

On Aug. 7th, it's not exactly easy to make that big "splash"

Highlifeman21
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Another pitcher who can't/doesn't strike guys out, and gives up the long ball. Him and Milton should make for a good tandem...

Ryan Franklin Career

IP HA K BB HR K:BB H/9 K/9 BB/9 HR/9
864.1 897 452 255 134 1.77:1 9.34 4.71 2.66 1.40

Eric Milton Career

IP HA K BB HR K:BB H/9 K/9 BB/9 HR/9
1489 1546 1067 426 252 2.50 9.34 6.45 2.57 1.52

These career numbers are way too similar....

Reds Nd2
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Plusses: Can eat innings in the rotation. He's averaged 201 IP the past three seasons. Holds baserunners well. 33 stolen bases verses 28 caught stealing in his career. Doesn't walk many hitters. He's allowed 237 unintentional free passes in 864.1 innings pitched.

Minuses: He's a flyball pitcher whose going to try and earn a living pitching in GABP. He's not as extreme as Milton, but he has served up ten cookies in 53 innings this season. Good thing he doesn't walk people. He also doesn't strike out many hitters either, 4.25 K/9.

Random Musings: He's going to rely on the defense behind him to get outs and the Reds currently have a Team defensive efficiency of .688 or 12th worst in the league. Philly has the next worse with a DEF_EFF of .685, so you might expect Franklin's .278 BABIP to remain relatively the same. The problem is, GABP plays as a more favorable park for hitters than CBP for Runs, Home runs, and hits, but excluding the HR's, GABP is more pitcher friendly than Franklin's old home when it comes to extra base hits. What does this mean? I don't know, but it should be fun to watch.

marcshoe
08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
XM 175 is reporting that the PTBNL will be announced before tonight's game. Marc L's blog says that a corresponding move will be made before tonight's game (talking about the DL moves that have now been made, I assume). Is XM misunderstanding or misstating this information, or will the PTBNL be announced?

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Mediocre pitcher that might be able to eat innings when we are losing, which will help keep Bray and Weathers fresh.

That's one problem with the pen now, we don't have a long guy. When the starter gets booted early, we have to chew through 3 short guys to finish the game. For example, Weathers was wasted in losing causes in LA.

Franklin has potential value. I wish we could've gotten someone better, but there is some logic to this move.

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Of course, the nightmare scenerio is that Harang's thumb is really bothering him and Franklin is going to have to make a couple starts.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
XM 175 is reporting that the PTBNL will be announced before tonight's game. Marc L's blog says that a corresponding move will be made before tonight's game (talking about the DL moves that have now been made, I assume). Is XM misunderstanding or misstating this information, or will the PTBNL be announced?
I can't imagine the PTBNL would be announced this quick. If they were going to announce that tonight, why not just wait and announce the trade later in the afternoon without the use of PTBNL.

They were probably talking about the roster move to be made before the game.

marcshoe
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
That's what I figured, but they said it that way twice (on the news report thingy). Probably just some murkily-written copy.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I admire that Krivsky's trying to clean up the mess of his own creating. That's refreshing. But I can't help but think that all of this mess could have been averted if the Reds' GM hadn't focussed on the bullpen, but instead targeted a bona fide starter like Hernandez. But che sera sera...

And maybe Krivsky's learned his lesson a la Walt Jocketty vis. Bowden; when Walt got taken to the cleaners by Bowden on the bum-winged Brantley for Dmitri Young, Walt ceased dealing with him (wisely). Let's hope Krivsky's ego stings and that sinks well into the memory cells for next time.

Kc61
08-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Mediocre pitcher that might be able to eat innings when we are losing, which will help keep Bray and Weathers fresh.

That's one problem with the pen now, we don't have a long guy. When the starter gets booted early, we have to chew through 3 short guys to finish the game. For example, Weathers was wasted in losing causes in LA.

Franklin has potential value. I wish we could've gotten someone better, but there is some logic to this move.

Phillies apparently preferred Rick White to Franklin. Let's hope they were wrong. Franklin's numbers since 2003 are pretty brutal.

NJReds
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
He looks like a poor-man's Josh Hancock.

marcshoe
08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
could be worse. For some reason, I thought that Wayne Franklin was the one pitching for the Phillies (he was just called up by Atlanta, it seems). Wayne Franklin's worse.

marcshoe
08-07-2006, 04:44 PM
He looks like a poor-man's Josh Hancock.

I thought Josh Hancock was a poor man's Josh Hancock. :confused:

Raisor
08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Where's Jeff Shaw, Gabe White, and Scott Sullivan when you really need them?

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Remember when we got Moehler and Dempster? That's what this season feels like.

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

No kidding. I said before Krivsky was ever hired that he was essentially an "honorable" Jim Bowden--fetishistic, bargain-minded, somewhat pitching-ignorant.

He's fit that billing to some extent; trouble is, Bowden's outfoxed him badly.

Heath
08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Where's Jeff Shaw, Gabe White, and Scott Sullivan when you really need them?

Jeff Shaw bought a farm, I think.

Gabe White's still breathing.

Sullivan's on someone's disabled list.

But Raisor, one former member of the Reds bullpen you've not inquired about is Frankie Rodriquez! You're slipping!

:D

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm..Dempster and Moeller

*gag*

osuceltic
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
No kidding. I said before Krivsky was ever hired that he was essentially an "honorable" Jim Bowden--fetishistic, bargain-minded, somewhat pitching-ignorant.

He's no Paul Depodesta.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 05:31 PM
He's no Paul Depodesta.

Indeed not.

Edskin
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
How come no one ever mentions that we've had a better winning % AFTER the AS break than we did BEFORE the AS break?

Highlifeman21
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
How come no one ever mentions that we've had a better winning % AFTER the AS break than we did BEFORE the AS break?

Small sample size.

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 05:42 PM

I agree he gotten taken to the cleaners with Washington.

However, all his other deals have been neutral to good, IMO.

I also agree that the Wash trade was a huge monumental blunder.

I'm not so sure I'd call him fetishistic or pitching-ignorant yet. He may prove to be that way, but I'm going to say the jury is still out on him.

Right now, he has few chips to deal and has to rely on trading for guys that pass through waivers of all the other wild card contenders. He shot himself in the foot by giving away Kearns and Lopez, but it's tough to get quality talent this time of year, unless you take on a huge salary.

edabbs44
08-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully this trade deadline had more to do with the market than still using the philosophy of looking for bargain basement pitchers.

Edskin
08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
High--

True. However, as a fan, this much is true, for me at least:

I think we have a better chance at making the playoffs now than I did before. I am MUCH more comfortable in games because of the bolstering of the bullpen. Majewski has been awful and if he stays awful forever, then it will always be hard to justify this trade no matter what. However, Bray has been very good and having a bullpen guy added that qualifies as "very good" makes a huge difference on this team. I think the trades Krivsky have made signify two things:

1. Pitching takes precedence.
2. There's a new regime/attitude/philosophy/culture in Cincy.

I think BOTH of things are equally important and I applaud Kirvsky for making the deals, which by the way, are not just for THIS year.

edabbs44
08-07-2006, 05:51 PM
High--

True. However, as a fan, this much is true, for me at least:

I think we have a better chance at making the playoffs now than I did before. I am MUCH more comfortable in games because of the bolstering of the bullpen. Majewski has been awful and if he stays awful forever, then it will always be hard to justify this trade no matter what. However, Bray has been very good and having a bullpen guy added that qualifies as "very good" makes a huge difference on this team. I think the trades Krivsky have made signify two things:

1. Pitching takes precedence.
2. There's a new regime/attitude/philosophy/culture in Cincy.

I think BOTH of things are equally important and I applaud Kirvsky for making the deals, which by the way, are not just for THIS year.
Good post, but remember one thing...if the Reds make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round (or worse, not make it at all) and next year Royce is at SS, will anyone still like this trade, especiall if Maj is still not performing? The offseason will tell a lot about this trade. For now, I guess we have to roll with it and hope it works for the best.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 05:59 PM

We did on another thread. The Reds were one game over .500 before the break. They're two games over after the break.

Small sample, insignificant difference.

Edskin
08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
edabbs--

Sure. If the Washington trade is the ONLY thing Krivsky has in mind to "change" the Reds, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, if he follows this trade up in the off-seasob by upgrading from Clayton, then I will view it as part of a larger plan--which is what I think it is. I think Krivs knew he wouldn't be able to kill all the birds with one stone. So he killed the most glaring one for the here and now.

Gallen5862
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m08/d07/c1597562.jsp
Reds acquire Franklin from Phillies
08/07/2006 3:53 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- General manager Wayne Krivsky's production of "Extreme Makeover: Bullpen Edition," continued Monday with another pitching acquisition.
The Reds acquired right-handed reliever Ryan Franklin and cash from the Phillies for a player to be named later.

A former starter converted to a relief role, Franklin was 1-5 with a 4.58 ERA in 46 appearances and 53 innings with Philadelphia this season. The 33-year-old was designated for assignment on July 30.

Franklin, who also spent parts of six seasons with the Mariners from 1999-2005, has made 106 starts in the Majors. He signed as a free agent with the Phillies with the expectation of starting, but was sent to the bullpen during Spring Training.

Since July 6, the Reds have acquired six relief pitchers through trades and overhauled their bullpen. Eddie Guardado, Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Kyle Lohse and Rheal Cormier were the additions. Only Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Todd Coffey have been with the club since the beginning of the season.

Cincinnati made several other roster moves on Monday. Mercker (elbow) was activated from the 15-day disabled list. Placed on the 15-day DL were Majewski (right shoulder inflammation) and Jason Standridge (back spasms).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Tony Cloninger
08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I thin this whole decade has for the most part....been about getting the poor man's this or that, when it comes to pitching.

37red
08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
If the Reds make the playoffs and lose straight out I'll still be happy that they made them at all. At the beginning of this season I figured it was just going to be a long hot summer. It has been a long hot summer but I'm still here typing on the Zone and they're still trying to make a spot, that's a nice change. Granted the whole league sucks, but they are trading to win not to sell off.

boobhat
08-07-2006, 06:52 PM
couldve been worse, couldve been for carmona

Gallen5862
08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I wonder how much cash the Reds got with Franklin.

Danny Serafini
08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
He's no Paul Depodesta.

True, Krivsky's been able to hold a job.

Highlifeman21
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
On a side note, it's kind of ironic all the people claiming steroids are a massive problem aren't at all mad about Ryan Franklin being on the mound for us right now...

Just some food for thought....

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
True, Krivsky's been able to hold a job.

And Depodesta's working for a team with a better record than the Reds.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
On a side note, it's kind of ironic all the people claiming steroids are a massive problem aren't at all mad about Ryan Franklin being on the mound for us right now...

Just some food for thought....
Giant fans love Barry Bonds ;)