PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco usage

dabvu2498
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Just getting a feel for the crowd.

FoReel
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Haha, picked up that habit in the days of high school hockey. Can't kick to the damn curb, love and hate it at the same time. Grizzly all the way!!

Rojo
08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Funny you should bring this up. I quit for three months earlier this year, slipped on my birthday in late May and have been chipping until recently. Now, I'm officially a smoker again. I'd gotten to the point of only wanting them when I drank, I really liked not smoking. But as Oscar Wilde once said, smoking is the perfect vice because it leaves you unsatisfied.

savafan
08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm on my 24th day of smokebriety right now, and feeling good. There are still cravings, but they are no where near as bad as before, and I find it easier to redirect myself.

BRM
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I quit dipping about a year and a half ago. It was tough but I'm very glad I did.

westofyou
08-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Quit smoking 18 years ago.

RFS62
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
I've never smoked a cigarette

Highlifeman21
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm a cigar man

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Can't stand it.

ochre
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Can't stand it.
prefer the crooked ones, eh?

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM

You're smart. Stay that way

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 04:38 PM
7 1/2 years without a cigarette.

Roy Tucker
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
When I was 8, my dad caught me with a pack of cigarettes. After taking me for a couple laps around the garage with his belt, I got the sense he wasn't too happy about it. Never smoked a cigarette again.

I smoke one cigar a year on the 4th of July to light fireworks with. Tobacco is about the only vice I don't have.

KittyDuran
08-07-2006, 05:36 PM
The only time I smoked a cigarette was about 36 years ago ( I was 11). It was sort of a right of passage before you went into junior high. I snuck a couple of my Dad's Salems and went with a girlfriend down to the culvert by the creek - took one puff and gagged. I seriously thought I would die right there - gave the other cig to the girlfriend. I think she still smokes.

OTOH... My Dad until 1971 when he got a bleeding ulcer - smoked about 2 packs a day. He would buy muliple cartons at the commissary at Wright Pat and signed a form - I assuming that he wouldn't resale them. My little sister started when she was around 13 - still smokes, and one of my older sisters started when she went into the Navy - still smokes.

guttle11
08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
I quit smoking 10-12 times a day...

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I suspect this poll was created by a non-smoker, as there is no option between "I smoke, but I'm trying to quit" and "No way", namely "I don't anymore, but crave it 1500 times a day" :D

I quit a year ago in September. I had quit a bunch before that but always knew deep down I'd go back because I missed it, had a couple here and there and then... This time, I truly haven't missed it -- maybe a half-dozen, high-stress times total. I just got too freaked out by how bad it is for you, and I already felt the effects of it. I don't like anything infringing on my vision of my own immortality.

I was bartending in New York when the no-smoking laws went into effect there. At the time, I was very much against it, if nothing else because of the idea of a bunch of old dudes in Albany deciding what was best for individuals there. Within a week, I was a total convert. The difference it makes is unbelievable. It never really bothered me when I was bartending, but after that when I walked into a bar elsewhere it really hit me; I would find myself not breathing as well and would notice my eyes watering. I would come home from work and take my hair down and I DIDN'T SMELL AWFUL. Amazing. I loved that rule even when I was still smoking myself. It was actually kind of a nice break to get out into the fresh air to smoke, even when it was cold. People in Illinois cling to this like a badge of courage: "That kind of law will never go down here!!" Dude. It's civilized. Give it a try and notice the difference.

Anywho.

Ravenlord
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
i'll smoke cigars when relaxing on special occasions. when i'm very bored or very angry (which is rare) i'll smoke Marlboro Menthol 72s. when i'm very intoxicated (another rare event) i chain smoke Camel 99s.

it takes me about 5 months to go through a pack of cigarettes.

Razor Shines
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah cigars should have been an option on the poll. I'll enjoy a cigar maybe 3 or 4 times a month.

deltachi8
08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I smoked for 15 years. Quit about 3 years ago. Ahhh, the smooth Carolina Smoke....

Jim Schue
08-08-2006, 04:09 AM
I smoked on and off for about seven years until quitting 2 1/2 years ago. Haven't missed it a bit, surprisingly.

Jpup
08-08-2006, 06:24 AM
I smoke about a pack and 1/2 per day. I hate it. I'm not trying to quit either. I find it hard to imagine what I would do if I didn't smoke. I went down to smoking Ultra Lights last Christmas and it has helped with the coughing, etc., but I really wish I had the will power to lay them down. I started smoking and got addicted just before starting High School, it was a mistake, but what can you do? It's been about 12 years and I've smoked, at least, a pack a day for 10.

One of these days.

zombie-a-go-go
08-08-2006, 06:48 AM
I smoke, and I'm not trying to quit. :dunno: Make of that what you will.

GAC
08-08-2006, 07:12 AM
My wife and I both smoke, but we are quitting for very solid reasons (other then health obviously).....

1) Will not smoke in new home
2) Our workplace is instituting stiff anti-smoking rules and a new policy in Jan 07 where an associate's health insurance premiums are based on whether you are a smoker/non-smoker. One must yearly get a blood sample, either via your family Dr or through the company.

I've always been a light smoker (unless down at a Reds game and having a few) - 1/2 pack a day.

I quit once before for several years. Why I took it back up I have no idea; but it showed me it can be done.

The majority of my smoking is at work. During breaks/lunches - Gonna read a book to take my mind off the mental aspect, chew lots of gum, drink plenty of water, and snap at co-workers. ;)

I'm transferring out of the current department where I have been on 3rd shift for 11 years. Going to 1st shift - and that department does not have any smoking lounges nearby.

dabvu2498
08-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I suspect this poll was created by a non-smoker, as there is no option between "I smoke, but I'm trying to quit" and "No way", namely "I don't anymore, but crave it 1500 times a day" :D

Actually... I used to smoke, but I quit. So now I dip. For a short time I was option #3.

deltachi8
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I smoke about a pack and 1/2 per day. I hate it. I'm not trying to quit either. I find it hard to imagine what I would do if I didn't smoke. I went down to smoking Ultra Lights last Christmas and it has helped with the coughing, etc., but I really wish I had the will power to lay them down. I started smoking and got addicted just before starting High School, it was a mistake, but what can you do? It's been about 12 years and I've smoked, at least, a pack a day for 10.

One of these days.

You will quit when you truly want to. Not because someone tells you to or for reason x or reason y...you have to just want to stop...you want to not smoke for just that reason.

When that hits you, it will be a much easier thing. I smoked 15 years, at times up to 2 packs a day. One day, on may way to work I was running a bit late, i lit up the last one in the pack and started to panic, where was I going to be able to stop and get a pack, should I run out on a break, can I wait until 4:30...then it just hit me, I just don't care and don't want to do it anymore. I tossed the cigarette out the window and I was done.

savafan
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
You will quit when you truly want to. Not because someone tells you to or for reason x or reason y...you have to just want to stop...you want to not smoke for just that reason.

So very true. I've tried quitting before for someone else or some stupid reason, and it never worked. This time is just for me.

redsfan30
08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Never have, never will.

reds1869
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't use but I also don't fault those who do. It's a personal decision, even if it is a bad one.

RedsBaron
08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
ditto

CrackerJack
08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Down to half a pack a day roughly - ultra lights now - started in college as a journalism major and that's a sure-fire way to start. Used dipping for a while to quit, but that's fruitless.

Moving into a non-smoking home has really helped me cut down a lot.

I hate smoky bars and concerts where people chain smoke - always have, just go outside and get used to doing it that way. I'm all for smoke free indoor environments.

The sad thing is I work out 3-5 times a week, run and everything - and I REALLY feel how it affects my lung capacity and endurance - as I get older, I get more serious about quitting altogether. Getting there....

WebScorpion
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I smoked for 15 years, quit for one year, smoked for 8 more, and then I quit for good. It's been almost 6 years now and I can smell a cigarette from across the street. I hate the smell of them and can't figure out how or why I ever smoked them. I used to say I'd quit, "when they pry my dead hands from my pack of cigarettes." and that wasn't far from the truth. The last few years I'd cough up a bunch of pfleghm in the morning shower and most times it was black. The last few times it was red...that line didn't seem so funny to me any more. I really don't miss all the coughing in the morning. ;) My father smoked for about 25 years of his life, he quit and after 20 more years was diagnosed with emphysema. So I've probably got that to look forward to...:thumbdown

I really wish everyone would quit, but some of us have to learn things the hard way. Quit if you can. Not for me or anyone else, but for yourself. You'll be happier. It's great to breathe deep, (even though our air's not so clean any more either,) to smell and taste things again. It's really worth it. :D [/soapbox]

westofyou
08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I hate the smell of them and can't figure out how or why I ever smoked them.Me too, the smell can now make me sick if I'm submerged in it too long.

I quit by going to Camel Straights, the foulest blend of tobbaco in the history of time, I used that for the nicotine but everything else about it was so gross I eventually quit that too.

gitrdunn44
08-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm 13, never have, never will.

FoReel
08-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I never really think its anybodys fault, bc everyone gets curious every once in awhile and might try dipping/smoking. I for one was curious of dip, skoal green apple, it was the first time i actually got and kind of buzz from anything, i loved it. I started for the buzz but i built up a immunity for tobacco, so know i just do it because my body chemistry needs it. Plus I wasnt going through the best time of my life when i started.

LoganBuck
08-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Smoked in college- parties, bars, drinking, social gatherings, and high stress moments. Graduated in 01 smoked on and off for three years. Haven't had one for two years now. The urge still comes when I am at a party having a drink, and someone else has one. I can smell a Marlboro Light from across the room.

I had respitory issues, a case of pneumonia, then bronchial pneumonia, polyps surgically removed from my sinuses twice, and a general wheezing noise that came when I laughed hard. Those things were killing me. I had to quit, and made the decision while driving from Sidney to Cincinnati. I threw the pack
I had out the window at the Troy exit of 75 and think about that everytime I drive by. It was the best thing I ever did. Day 3 was the hardest.

Yachtzee
08-09-2006, 12:03 AM
I used to smoke. I started when I lived in Europe. Just being in the smoky bars and cafes started giving me a craving for cigarettes. I quit 8 years later, my last cigarette as a "smoker" in a Chicago bar called "Joy Blue." Since then I've smoked cigars (about 1 a year) and bummed a few cigarettes. Each time I bummed one, I thought I would like it, but it's been so long that I couldn't stand the taste. I used Wellbutrin to kick the habit. Smoke for two weeks while taking it to let it build up in your system, then just quit cold turkey. The first weekend was rough, but after that I've never had the desire to buy a pack of cigarettes.

Jpup
08-09-2006, 03:29 AM
I used Wellbutrin to kick the habit. Smoke for two weeks while taking it to let it build up in your system, then just quit cold turkey. The first weekend was rough, but after that I've never had the desire to buy a pack of cigarettes.

What is Wellbutrin?

WebScorpion
08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
What is Wellbutrin?

It's a prescription anti-depressant called Bupropion...sold by another company under the name Zyban. It's commonly used to help quit smoking. I have a friend who takes Wellbutrin for other reasons. The original version caused seizures in many patients, so it was discontinued and reintroduced in a timed-release version as Wellbutrin SR and its extended release cousin Wellbutrin XL. It has a lot of interactions as well, so it's much safer if you're not taking any other medicinal or recreational drug, including alcohol. It's not something you'd want to take for an extended (years) period, but if it helps you quit smoking it's probably worth the risk.

If you're trying to quit and you want something to decrease that nervous, jittery feeling you get, try taking a B-complex multivitamin. Anything with B6, B12, and I think riboflavin...nicotine is addictive because your body uses it in place of these vitamins in the creation of new nerve cells. It takes a while for your body to switch back over, so it's better to make the real thing readily available.

cincinnati chili
08-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I only smoke crack

ghettochild
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
i'm a camel turkish golds/royal guy, although i hate smoking. but for some reason it just always happens whenever i'm in the car. i'm not adicted, per say. i can go weeks without a smoke and be fine, but whenever i'm in a car i'm like lets get cigs.

its wierd.

Rojo
08-10-2006, 02:02 AM
I only smoke crack

Or to quote David Sedaris when he's asked if he smokes, "only pot and cigarettes."

REDREAD
08-10-2006, 02:05 AM
I was a smoker in college and grad school. In grad school, our townhouse (4 guys, 3 smokers) had a permanent haze floating around the room, it was hillarious. People would walk in and literally go "oh my God". But back then, smokers weren't treated like lepers, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The main reason I quit was because I didn't like the way it discolored my teeth.

I was a lucky one that didn't have any problems quitting. I'd occasionally have a cigar for a special occasion, like the birth of a child or someone offered me one, but I never felt addicted. Sure, I still like the smell of smoke but I really never craved it more than I'd crave a Pepsi when I walked past a soda machine.

i_heart_jason
08-10-2006, 02:26 AM
i quit about 6-ish years ago. i smoked for 9 years. i SO dont miss it.

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 05:30 PM
I quit a year ago in September. I had quit a bunch before that but always knew deep down I'd go back because I missed it, had a couple here and there and then... This time, I truly haven't missed it -- maybe a half-dozen, high-stress times total. I just got too freaked out by how bad it is for you, and I already felt the effects of it. I don't like anything infringing on my vision of my own immortality.

I take back all of this. I am in the middle of apartment/moving hell and the ONLY THING I want in ALL THE WORLD right now is a cigarette. I don't care about immortality when tobacco exists. I am shaking with upsetness. baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh help

ochre
08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I take back all of this. I am in the middle of apartment/moving hell and the ONLY THING I want in ALL THE WORLD right now is a cigarette. I don't care about immortality when tobacco exists. I am shaking with upsetness. baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh help
sounds like you could use some methadone

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
sounds like you could use some methadone

I need something strong, to be sure. In addition to an apartment. And a good management company with my current apartment (highly unlikely at this point).

But yeah, I'll take meth.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :bang:

FoReel
08-11-2006, 08:12 PM
If anyone quits dipping, please give me some pointers on how to stop, because i have made my mind up that im quitting when sept. rolls around. I think i'll go cold turkey and see how that works out but some suggestions would help. I don't know if smoking tips and accessorys(patchs, gum, and etc.) will do the same thing for dippers trying to quit.

LoganBuck
08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
FoReel, a buddy of mine was able to quit by first switching to a flavor he could not stand, I think he used Cope with Jack Daniels. Then once the flavor was remedied he was able to cut back alot just because of the flavor. Then he transitioned into the patch and quit. He also had a spot on his gums that his dentist noticed, and scared him to death.

You must adopt the state of mind that you are going to quit, or it will kill you. All the patches, gums, etc are worthless unless you decide that you will surpress the desire. Because even after you quit you will have cravings when you are around people that do it in front of you.

FoReel
08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks man, yea my dentists said that i had a a receeding gum line around one tooth. Thats why i want to quit mainly and plus my girlfriend hates it even when i dont do it in front of her.

BoydsOfSummer
08-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Smoking is bad for me. Me not smoking is bad for others.

BRM
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
If anyone quits dipping, please give me some pointers on how to stop, because i have made my mind up that im quitting when sept. rolls around. I think i'll go cold turkey and see how that works out but some suggestions would help. I don't know if smoking tips and accessorys(patchs, gum, and etc.) will do the same thing for dippers trying to quit.

I tried several times with no luck at all until last January. I just quit cold turkey believe it or not.

Red Leader
08-14-2006, 05:15 PM
I have never smoked a cigarette either.

I do, however, dip and have since I was about 16. I said I would quit when my oldest was born. Didn't do it. Said I'd quit when my youngest was born. Didn't do it. There will come a day when I will quit. That time has not come yet. I wish I never would have started.

creek14
08-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I was always afraid coffee and smoking would stunt my growth.

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I just quit cold turkey believe it or not.

That's how I did it. Well, with the help of Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 09:40 PM

I think cold turkey is the best way. Use your girlfriend for support. Maybe strike a deal that you have to call her and get permission to do it. I know it sounds silly, but it's a little crutch for when you're in the convienence store and see it laying out there, calling out to you. :)

The problem with the gum, patches, etc is that if you aren't truly commited to quitting, they make the problem worse (and they're expensive). A buddy of mine got addicted to the gum, because he started chewing way more than he should've.

IMO, quit cold turkey and accept the fact that you'll go through about 3-4 weeks of craving/rough times (if you're addicted bad). Personally, it was very easy for me, but I know some people that took 3-4 weeks to adjust.

Whatever you do, don't give in.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Lastly, keep yourself very busy doing other things during the quitting period. Boredom is a good catalyst to start smoking/dipping again. Get plenty of sleep too. I used to chew tobbacco during all nighters at college as a substitute for caffeine. Get plenty of rest, so that the loss of the nicotine stimulation isn't as bad.

FoReel
08-15-2006, 12:47 AM
REDREAD thank you very much. I have tried quitting dip before, but the thing is my brother dips, me and him always hang out doing something, and he will always have dip on him and its the same kind i dip, thats usually when i start up again. I have heard and also read that you need to seperate the thing you do when you dip(being on computer, watching tv, sports and etc.) thats the main reason i need to stop before Sept. comes around. Im gunna start playing hockey again and if i dont stop then i will get even more addicted to it bc it seems during that time i dip way to much.

BRM
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
That's how I did it. Well, with the help of Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.

It was Jolly Ranchers for me. :)

flyer85
08-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I smoke ... only if on fire.

dabvu2498
08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
It was Jolly Ranchers for me. :)
Sunflower seeds... then I relapsed.