PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else scared of the Cubs?

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I know, it's been awhile since that statement was anything but a punchline. But they've heated up significantly since a little after the All-Star break. They've recently swept the Cards (in four games), and taken two of three each from the Mets, the Astros, the D'Backs, and the Pirates. When I look at the makeup of their team I still see a very ramshackle and mediocre team, but maybe having the pressure off has helped them.

I don't think they can compete for the wild card. But I have a fear that they will somehow manage to mess things up for us, as revenge for 2004. Can somebody please tell me that this isn't mathematically possible, even with almost two months left? Thanks.

crazybob60
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
I went to Wrigley this past weekend and they didn't look half that bad although the Bucos also made a slight run in the game themselves. The cubs did have an impressive first inning.

medford
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Can somebody please tell me that this isn't mathematically possible, even with almost two months left? Thanks.

w/o looking at the exact standings, I'm guessing nobody can honestly tell you that, since I'm sure they're still mathematically alive for a playoff spot, even a division crown. However, there are too many teams to climb over, and too much ground to make up. Stick a fork in the '06 Cubbies, they're done. However depending on their schedule, they could play a role depending on how the fair against the other wild card contenders.

goodwilly98
08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Well they've beaten up on the Reds all year long, so of course I'm scared of them.

They have no chance for the Wild Card with all the other teams in front of them, but they can definitely play spoilers. Hope it's not at our expense though. We have to figure out a way to beat those guys!

TOBTTReds
08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
They have helped us already by beating the Cards and Astros, and Dbacks. Hopefully they keep winning, except against us. Not worried about them catching up, but I am worried about them beating us.

crazybob60
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
One team that I am really afrain of though is the Dodgers, they seem to be really hitting stride and getting Nomar back is going to only help them. We saw how good they could be here in Cincy not so long ago.

dieselman44
08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Is this thread serious?

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
The Cubs are comfortable now. They're back in the roll of spoiler, which makes them feel right at home.

Don't tell their fans that though...they probably think they have a shot....after all, they're the Cubs, the greatest team that's never done a thing.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
No, I don't fear teams that blame goats for their problems

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Is this thread serious?

Yes.

They are riding a hot streak. If neither St. Louis or Cincinnati really steps up (and neither has shown great ability to do so lately), my fear is that the Cubs will creep up and take enough wins away from them to throw the wild card out of the division. There are a lot of games left, but as it stands right now three of the top four teams in the wild card race are from the NL West.

Chicago has two series left with both St. Louis and Cincinnati (13 games total) and plenty against other wild card contenders as well. If they keep playing as well as they have they could be serious spoilers for another team.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Losing Maddux won't help them.

IrishDavidKY
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
I personally don't think the Cubs have the starting pitching to catch the Reds. If they still had Maddux, Wood and a 100% Prior then yes, but not starting 3+ rookies.