PDA

View Full Version : What a waste

RedsBaron
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
As a few people here already know, I am a lawyer. Earlier today a client that I am defending in lawsuit arising out of a motor vehicle accident phoned me to report a rumor that he had heard about of the plaintiffs who had sued him. I checked out his story online and found an article that had just been posted on our local newspaper's online edition stating that this plaintiff, age 19, (I'll use the initials "J.R.") died earlier this morning.
The article stated that, according to a police report, J.R. and another individual were screaming at passing cars around 3 a.m. Sunday. One of the passing vehicles stopped and two people exited the vehcile. J.R. attempted to swing at one of them and missed. That person in return swung and hit J.R. in the head, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement.
There is an unconfirmed rumor that J.R.'s girlfriend is carrying his child. I have no idea if that is true, but, if so, it only would add to the tragedy of the whole mess.
A tragedy without question, but so, so stupid. What a way to meet one's Maker.

Highlifeman21
08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Road rage while not in a car?

RedFanAlways1966
08-08-2006, 07:53 AM
I guess J.R. should have found better hobbies than yelling at cars at 3:00 am. I guess J.R. wasn't as tough as he thought he was. I guess J.R. is at end of a very long of list of people who have died while doing something very stupid.

Sad, but a story that we seem to read way too often. People getting killed while acting in a very stupid way or doing something stupid. And there may be another individual in this case who might face charges like involuntary manslaughter... b/c that person decided to stop, get out and take on another idiot (and eventually killed him).

This same sort of thing happened when I was at Ohio University. Two hotheads got into a tussle outside of Ed's Greenery (a bar). One punched the other hard to knock him to the ground... his head hit the concrete sidewalk with enough force that it killed him. As far as I know the puncher was never caught. But I'd guess that he has had a nightmare or two about killing another person in a drunken brawl.

I am curious to know (when or if you hear), RB, if the other guy will get charged with something. I am sure he'll claim self-defense, but hard to buy that when you did not have to stop the car and get out. I really don't feel sorry for J.R., but I don't feel any sympathy for the guy who killed him either. Sometimes you just have to walk away (or drive away in this case).

RedsBaron
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I have three sons, two of whom are teenagers. They are really good kids, but I keep thinking of them when I consider this story. Would my oldest son be wise enough to walk away from such a situation, or would he decide that he wasn't going to take any garbage from somebody?
I assume the guy who hit J.R. will face criminal charges-this whole thing is a stupid waste for him as well. A waste of J.R.'s life, a waste of criminal charges against the guy who hit him, the rumored waste of the loss of a father-to-be whose child will never know his or her father. So stupid.