PDA

View Full Version : Phillips D

CySeymour
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Here is a run down of what Phillips has done in the field so far. The rankings are from ESPN.com, and the rankings are for NL second basemen:

Double Plays - 11th
FPCT - 10th
RF - 13th
ZR - 6th

Comments?

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
He is young... real young and was given up on by Clevland... We took what they didn't want and turned it into a good 2nd basemen... Not great... But better then what we had to start the season.....

He is only going to get better as the years go by..... I like him... he has some flash to him... and he keeps adding it...

Team Clark
08-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Seems to me he comes up big whenever the Reds really need him. A.K.A Ryan Freel. I'll take a team full of those guys.

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Seems to me he comes up big whenever the Reds really need him. A.K.A Ryan Freel. I'll take a team full of those guys.

Then how could Richy Aurilia bat 4th and play 3rd base nightly? :evil:

RichRed
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Doesn't seem to me that number of double plays is a very reliable indicator of a 2B's fielding prowess, since a DP usually depends on 3 players making that happen. And given the defensive issues we've had at SS and 3B, the ranking holds even less water.

Team Clark
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Then how could Richy Aurilia bat 4th and play 3rd base nightly? :evil:

Good queston. :laugh: I like what Rich has done for the team this year so I can't bang on him.

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Good queston. :laugh: I like what Rich has done for the team this year so I can't bang on him.

While I don't have a problem with him.. As long as he is used correctly and that rarely ever happens...

Team Clark
08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
While I don't have a problem with him.. As long as he is used correctly and that rarely ever happens...

Understood. One of my favorite players growing up was Mark Carreon. He was used properly for most of his career. There were times I remember seeing him hit .400 or better fo long stretches because of how he was used.

RichRed
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Understood. One of my favorite players growing up was Mark Carreon. He was used properly for most of his career. There were times I remember seeing him hit .400 or better fo long stretches because of how he was used.

I remember him from the Tides. I think you mentioned in another post that you worked for the Tides at one point, correct?

Kc61
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Phillips would be great hitting seventh. He is too inconsistent to hit 6th. I like him defensively but would leave him at second base. I don't see any good coming from switching positions, where another adjustment will be necessary. Reds should get a reliable shortstop in the off-season, perhaps using some of the dough they saved in the Kearns/Lopez heist. As he gets more experienced, Phillips will turn more DPs and make fewer errors.

Ravenlord
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Here is a run down of what Phillips has done in the field so far. The rankings are from ESPN.com, and the rankings are for NL second basemen:

Double Plays - 11th
FPCT - 10th
RF - 13th
ZR - 6th

Comments?
great range, good arm--i think he's a mispositioned shortstop...which where's he played most of the time except for the majors, in large part because of some guys named Vizquel and Peralta.

keeganbrick
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Phillips will make great plays and then cough up routine plays but this is his first full season in the bigs if you dont include the 110 games from 03. His defense will only continue to get better and I think he will have a shot to receive a gold glove at 2nd, maybe SS in the next 2-3 years.

Team Clark
08-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I remember him from the Tides. I think you mentioned in another post that you worked for the Tides at one point, correct?

Yep sure did. Mid 90's to late 90's.

fisch11
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
The two plays that BP made this year where he ended up fielding and throwing from the 3rd base side of 2nd show me that the kid has phenomenal range....I can't wait to see him at SS come Spring Training.

Far East
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I can't wait to see him at SS come Spring Training.
Before the Cardinals' series, I was thinking that if the Reds lost 3 of the 4 (or worse), and if the poor range and/or singles-hitting only from Clayton played a role in those losses, then we'd see the Phillips at SS experiment begin the very next day.

dfs
08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Doesn't seem to me that number of double plays is a very reliable indicator of a 2B's fielding prowess, since a DP usually depends on 3 players making that happen. And given the defensive issues we've had at SS and 3B, the ranking holds even less water.

Actually the raw number of double plays is largely a function of how many guys your pitching staff put on first base. Historically, teams with bad pitching staffs turn more double plays.