PDA

View Full Version : Little things that make me proud to be

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
a baseball fan...

Did anyone see Shea Stadium when Piazza returned? Very classy of them. My buddy text messaged me and said the highlight video they put up on the big screen sent chills down his spine the way the fans reacted.

I think they got a cue from the Sox fans earlier this year when Pedro returnd to Fenway.

Its nice to see stuff like that

bomarl1969
08-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Little things that make me proud to be a baseball fan...a man named Ryan Freel!!!

HumnHilghtFreel
08-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I flipped over to that game on Extra Innings when the Reds game was inbetween innings and when Piazza singled with 2 out and none on, the Shea fans got a chant of Mike Pi-azza going... it was really kinda nice.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Little things that make me proud to be a baseball fan...a man named Ryan Freel!!!

And I second that motion.

huber14
08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
a baseball fan...

Did anyone see Shea Stadium when Piazza returned? Very classy of them. My buddy text messaged me and said the highlight video they put up on the big screen sent chills down his spine the way the fans reacted.

I think they got a cue from the Sox fans earlier this year when Pedro returnd to Fenway.

Its nice to see stuff like that

anyway we can see that video?

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
anyway we can see that video?

Good question...i have no idea.

also, cut out the Freel crap. this was a seroius thread that you are hijacking with nonsense like that. Freel maybe a reason to make you proud to be a RED fan but it has nothing to do with the game of baseball as a whole.

true baseball fans will do things like the Shea fans did today for piazza, the sox fans did for pedro, or the braves fans when they stood and clapped for randy johnson when he no hit them.

true fans would have enjoyed watching a future HOF in Greg Maddux during his 6 no hit innings and gave him a standing ovation after the game resumed and he was taken out. (why didnt you root for maddux that game? its only "one game"--isnt that the dumb argument thrown around here lately?)

Nothing is more important in professional sports than class.

nothing.

Mario-Rijo
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I am a bit surprised to hear that. What with Piazza's seemingly soft reputation, I figured a hard core town like NY would kinda give him the "yeah he was ok" kinda shoulder shrug!

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
I am a bit surprised to hear that. What with Piazza's seemingly soft reputation, I figured a hard core town like NY would kinda give him the "yeah he was ok" kinda shoulder shrug!

when he tried to take on Clemens after getting a broken bat thrown at him, he def. became Queens' boy.

what a great series 2000 was.

justincredible
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
also, cut out the Freel crap. this was a seroius thread that you are hijacking with nonsense like that. Freel maybe a reason to make you proud to be a RED fan but it has nothing to do with the game of baseball as a whole.

I would disagree with that. Freel is a reason I am proud to be a baseball fan because he plays the game like it is supposed to be: all out! Yeah, it makes me proud to be a Reds fan too, but I enjoy whenever I am watching a game and see people that play like Freel no matter what team they are on.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I would disagree with that. Freel is a reason I am proud to be a baseball fan because he plays the game like it is supposed to be: all out! Yeah, it makes me proud to be a Reds fan too, but I enjoy whenever I am watching a game and see people that play like Freel no matter what team they are on.

ok i can see where u are coming from but i guess my point would be that its easy to root for any of the reds, its our favorite team but it says alot when opposing fans will respect a player enough to show appreciation of talent and ability.

However, freel hasnt played long enough or had any accomplishments to warrant any such reaction from an opposing crowd.

bucksfan
08-08-2006, 11:17 PM
However, freel hasnt played long enough or had any accomplishments to warrant any such reaction from an opposing crowd.

I'd counter that it didn't matter how long he played or who he played for when he does some of the things he has been doing lately. I would think many baseball fans, regardless of their affiliation, would really appreciate such effort and the recent nearly-amazing results. The inital comment is certainly well-taken by me and seems to be within the spirit of the thread unless I am just way off base.

TeamBoone
08-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I gotta hand it to the Cards fans when Griffey hit his 500th in St. Louis. It brought tears to my eyes at how they honored his accomplishment, going so far as to delay the game while he gave his family hugs.

It was classy.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 01:59 AM
If Ryan Freel were traded tomorrow, and came back next week with a different team in our ballpark, I'd be the first one out of my seat giving him a standing ovation. Ryan Freel is a ballplayer, plain and simple.

blumj
08-09-2006, 07:45 AM
My favorite one was when Clemens made his last regular season start at Fenway, as a Yankee, in a game that still mattered in the standings, when everyone really believed he was actually retiring. They were able to put everything aside for a moment, the division race, all the bad feelings, even him beating them for the hated rival, and just salute him as if he was still one of their own, one last time.

bomarl1969
08-09-2006, 03:19 PM
If Ryan Freel were traded tomorrow, and came back next week with a different team in our ballpark, I'd be the first one out of my seat giving him a standing ovation. Ryan Freel is a ballplayer, plain and simple.

Amen. I know there is no comparision, but this guy plays the game that would make Peter Edward Rose proud to be a Reds manager.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I like Freel myself....but I gotta agree with Kaldanielsfan on this one.

This thread was meant to talk about how teams show respect for former players. Ryan Freel plays for us now, and I don't believe this was started to say 'if' Ryan Freel was traded. We're talking about the present here....

He made a great play last night, glad to have him on the team, let's move on!

Personally, I have always liked the ovation that Sean Casey gets coming back to GABP. He will ALWAYS be a Red in many's eyes and in mine as well.

Ltlabner
08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
also, cut out the Freel crap.

Nothing is more important in professional sports than class.

:laugh:

Ltlabner
08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I thought the Reds fans did a great job of welcoming back Sean Casey when the Pirates came back the first time. He got a standing O the first night and another one the 2nd night (I was at that game).

Actually, I'm pretty sure he got heavy applause for each subsequent atbat and maybe even after a nice hit.

TeamBoone
08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I thought the Reds fans did a great job of welcoming back Sean Casey when the Pirates came back the first time. He got a standing O the first night and another one the 2nd night (I was at that game).

Actually, I'm pretty sure he got heavy applause for each subsequent atbat and maybe even after a nice hit.

You're right. I forgot about that.

I think they gave Aaron Boone a healthy "welcome" as well when he returned for the first time.

KalDanielsfan
08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I like Freel myself....but I gotta agree with Kaldanielsfan on this one.

This thread was meant to talk about how teams show respect for former players. Ryan Freel plays for us now, and I don't believe this was started to say 'if' Ryan Freel was traded. We're talking about the present here....

He made a great play last night, glad to have him on the team, let's move on!

Personally, I have always liked the ovation that Sean Casey gets coming back to GABP. He will ALWAYS be a Red in many's eyes and in mine as well.

thank you and yes thats a good example as well.