PDA

View Full Version : Eric Milton's 2nd half success

fisch11
08-09-2006, 12:37 AM
I just wanted to bring up a dead thread that I posted right after the All-Star break. It shows stats for best/worst performances after the break.....read on.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48909&highlight=SI+second+half+stats

I really believed around the All-Star break that Milton was going to be the swingman for the team's postseason chances. Hopefully, we get some more quality starts like tonights out of him down the stretch!

goreds2
08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
EVERY game is important which translates EVERY starter is important through NOVEMBER. :)

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I have been pleasantly surprised with Milton this season. His stats don't completely show it, but I think he could be a solid #3 down the stretch. He was so awful last year that I wrote him off as a steroid guy. But maybe he just had a bad year. He's never had good ERAs, but he was always a pitcher that could keep you in the game. He sure didn't do that last year, but he's battling this year and keeping us in games.

Of course it helps when we rake out 17 hits and 10 runs.

RedsMan3203
08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Of course Milton hasn't been 100% the last year or so... Now that his knee has settled down and feels better... He is getting sucess... Not the sucess that he had as a Twin... But he is still a soild starter when he is 100% - Just not for the money we are paying him is all.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I was happy to see Narron pull him before he really got into his third trip through the lineup where it's well documented that he struggles and went to the pen, which did well.

oregonred
08-09-2006, 05:21 AM
Stat of the night for Harang/Arroyo/Milton/Ramirez... Clearly Milton has assumed the #3 spot in the rotation (granted Ramirez took a big hit on the OPSA front last night)

OPSA
Arroyo .717
Harang .733
Milty .753
Ramirez .798

OPSA w/RISP
Harang .731 (da man at keeping fires under control)
Arroyo .826 (not so hot, but better at keeping the fires from starting)
Milton .831 (in-line with Arroyo)
Ramirez .969 (mayday, mayday)

WHIP
Arroyo 1.22
Milty 1.26
Harang 1.29
Ramirez 1.39

H/9
Milton 8.83 (Interesting)
Arroyo 8.93
Harang 9.15
Ramirez 10.20

GO/AO
Ramirez 1.18 (good sign for GABP in the future)
Harang 1.00
Arroyo .84
Milty .53 (wrong park, wrong home park...)

BAA
Milton .251
Arroyo .257
Harang .267
Ramirez .284

K/9
Harang 8.46
Arroyo 7.00
Ramirez 6.07
Milton 5.31

P/IP (Interesting -- I thought)
Milton 15.07
Arroyo 16.08
Ramirez 16.13
harang 16.47

K/BB
Arroyo 3.43
Harang 3.40
Ramirez 2.65
Milton 2.09

buckeyenut
08-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Three cheers for a nice outing by Milton. He really stepped up.

With our current deep pen, we can afford to bring him out after 6 innings or at first sign of trouble. This helps out a lot. In fact, Harang and Arroyo are the only two I give any leeway to. That deep bullpen will make all the guys better.

ChatterRed
08-09-2006, 09:29 AM
I agree. Props to Eric Milton. I'm actually developing some confidence in the guy.

vic715
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Our 3 top starters have 29 wins.Is that tops in the NL? Pretty impressive when you think about the last 5 or 6 years.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
By no means did Milton have his best stuff last night, nor did he have his control. But he still held the Cardinals to only two runs in one of the biggest games of the year. Props to Milton for turning his career around here. He's not spectacular, but he's definitely solid when he's on.

OesterPoster
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
By no means did Milton have his best stuff last night, nor did he have his control. But he still held the Cardinals to only two runs in one of the biggest games of the year. Props to Milton for turning his career around here. He's not spectacular, but he's definitely solid when he's on.

That's true, but it seems as if Milton's margin-of-error is extremely thin. If he's off just a little, those fly outs are homers. He had a ton of fly outs last night, and I'd think it's because he was hitting his spots very well. If he's off on his spots just a fraction, it's homer time.

Maybe shaving the goatee got his mind and body aligned properly? :laugh:

Heath
08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Maybe shaving the goatee got his mind and body aligned properly? :laugh:

maybe he took Gary Majewski's cortisone shot in the knee. :dunno:

BigREDSfaninKY
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Since the break, Milton has started 6 games going 3-3 with 4.54 ERA. He's pitched 39.2 innings and only given up 33 hits and 15 walks. Milton is pushing Arroyo for the #2 spot and is pitching better than Bronson at this point.

RedsManRick
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Milton doesn't give up a ton of walks and doesn't give up a ton of hits. He does give up a ton of homers. When he gives up homers he loses. When he keeps the ball in the yard, he wins.

If you put Milton in Petco, I bet you his ERA drops a full point or more and he wins 14-15 games a year.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Milton doesn't give up a ton of walks and doesn't give up a ton of hits. He does give up a ton of homers. When he gives up homers he loses. When he keeps the ball in the yard, he wins.

If you put Milton in Petco, I bet you his ERA drops a full point or more and he wins 14-15 games a year.

I believe right now Arroyo's ranked #2 in the league for homers given up. But yes, Uncle Milty does give up a ton of them as well. :thumbup:

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
maybe he took Gary Majewski's cortisone shot in the knee. :dunno:
Yes, I really think that the health of Milty's knee has more to do with his success than anything else (the new change up being a close 2nd). Having had a reconstructive knee surgery I completely understand the lack of confidence in it even if it's healthy. It has to be something he thinks about, having to rely on that left knee to drive every pitch.

oregonred
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Since the break, Milton has started 6 games going 3-3 with 4.54 ERA. He's pitched 39.2 innings and only given up 33 hits and 15 walks. Milton is pushing Arroyo for the #2 spot and is pitching better than Bronson at this point.

And that includes 4 earnies via the Beltran GS when he had no business starting that 7th inning.

he's basically been a 3 ERA guy in innings 1-6 since he returned from the DL in mid-May

And yes he would be a much better pitcher at petco. His career has been the Metrodome, Citizens and GABP. Three ugly parks for his high FO/GO stuff.

Big Daddy P
08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Say what? On what planet is a 4.54 era, since the break, anywhere close to being good? What are you guys smokin'?

Yes, if you push him out there regularly, he will, by sheer luck of the draw, pitch a decent game like last night.

That doesn't change the fact that he stinks on ice!

A good pitcher has an era under 4, easy.
A very good pitcher's era is under 3.50
The great ones are at 3 and under.

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it!

C'mon...

The_jbh
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Statistically throughout his career Milton has improved around a whole point on his era after the allstar break... it was in sports illustrated around the allstar break maybe the midseason report issue, i'll try to dig it up...

He has pitched well and we've needed it with arroyo being mediocore

Matt700wlw
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Arroyo's given up more that Milton....just a note.

However, Arroyo's had more starts as well...and he's given up the second most HRs in the NL behind Marquis.

OesterPoster
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM

C'mon...

Right now, there are 36 starting pitchers with an ERA under 4.00. Of those 36, there are 4 pitchers under 3.00.

So, I guess there are only 4 "great" starting pitchers in the majors this year, and only 32 "good" starting pitchers.

Sure.

Oh, by the way...did you know that Dontrelle Willis and Greg Maddux have ERAs over 4.00?

oregonred
08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Say what? On what planet is a 4.54 era, since the break, anywhere close to being good? What are you guys smokin'?

Yes, if you push him out there regularly, he will, by sheer luck of the draw, pitch a decent game like last night.

That doesn't change the fact that he stinks on ice!

C'mon...

No one is saying Uncle Milty is going to be nominated for the Cy Young. Just that he has been a serviceable (albeit way overpaid) #3 right now for the Reds.

Since the AS Break he should be a 3 ERA pitcher and would be 6/6 in Q-Stars with proper use. He's easily been the Reds second best starter since the Break. After coming off the DL in May he tossed 7IP or 3 hit/1ER ball at the D-Backs, outpiched Zambrano at Wrigley, blanked the Cards in STL and should have beaten the White Sox/Contreras save for a bullpen blowup. His 2005 was complete garbage, but he's clearly provided serviceable and if used properly after the 6th inning very positive value for the Reds since mid-May.

By your definition, the average major league team has ~1.2 guys/team that qualify as "good" pitchers (and .13 guys/team that qualify as great). What about the other 75% of pitchers you need to fill out a viable rotation.

Ltlabner
08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Posted this over on ORG....

I'll be ready for the fruits and vegatables to be thrown my way.

Because of his stupid contract I don't know if he fits on this team, but I actaully like Miltion as a pitcher. <ducks> Does it make sense to bring him back next year (I think that is the option year)? I doubt it, but if there are no other options....then what?

Much like Loshe, I think if used properally Milton can be effective for us. He has to keep that knee healthy. Do whatever it takes to do so; ride in a wheel chair, do special excersizes, have Kronored do a voodo dance around it. Maybe there is nothing you can do for that sort of problem?

Narron has to keep a tight leash on him. 6 innings that's it. Only if Milton has thrown less than 80 pitches and the team is up by 6 should he ever see the 7th inning.

The second he runs into trouble, Franklin or Weathers should start warming up. You don't want to make Milton nervous but we have to be able to yank him pronto when he's not "on".

I've seen him pitch several games where he had batters completley fooled all night. He was sorta Maduxx-very-very-lite. He has something to offer the team IMO but Narron has to put him in stuations where he can succede and not leave him out there when he's in situations destined for failure.

oregonred
08-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Milton's contract is ~60% over now. We may not like him but if he keeps posting 6IP/2ER, 6IP/3ER efforts we're going to be in pretty good shape from here on out.

Due to his contract length and his better pitching of late, he's much more movable now then since the day he was signed. If we fall out of cotention by late August, he ought to be moved post haste to some lucky taker in the NL West to get his contract off the books before the offseason.