PDA

View Full Version : Furball gave me Goose Bumps!

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes, you read that title right... Andy Furman gave me goose bumps tonight while talking about Mr. Ryan Freel.

While I won't be able to watch any of the Reds games this week... I'll be able to get updates via my phone...

I was able to do that tonight and was very pleased with the outcome of the game...

But onto Ryan Freel.

As Furman was leading too...

Is Ryan the face of the Reds now?

Also, how the heck did we even get Ryan Freel? I"m guessing he came over in the Lopez trade?

goreds2
08-08-2006, 11:54 PM
I am recording Furball tonight. It should be an interesting LISTEN on the drive to work tomorrow morning.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2006, 12:03 AM
That crowd tonight was simply AMAZING. The batter at the time actually stepped out of the box so the crowd could continue their standing-ovation for Freel after that catch, then continued when he came up to bat and again later in the game. It was really great to see and hear.
As far as being the face of the franchise, he's definitely working his way into a lot of people's hearts with his play as of late. A lot of times you'll talk about "blue collar" players that fans can really relate to. I think Ryan definitely has that kind of a feel. He seems like the kind of hard working guy you could just talk to and that makes him really likeable as a player. So in short, yeah, I think he is some kind of a "face" of the Reds.

jimbo
08-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Also, how the heck did we even get Ryan Freel? I"m guessing he came over in the Lopez trade?

Actually, I believe that Freel was signed as a free agent in 2002 I think. He played something like 9 seasons in the minors, he has definitely earned his time. Not too many players would have stuck it out for that long without a taste of the majors. You won't find a hard worker.

dieselman44
08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Got his debut in the majors for Bluejays in 2001, Signed as a free agent with the reds in the fall of 2002

MartyFan
08-09-2006, 03:43 AM
I think Freel is the kind of player this team and this league used to havemore of...Pete Rose, Fred Lynne, Sweet Lou, others come to mind...but these are guys who played with heart....they were everywhere all the time.

Now, for you Rose fans...what do you think the odds are that Freel becomes the face of the team?

Also, I think that perhaps we found the missing ingredient for this team....BIG CROWDS...tonight these guys seemed to be playing with a chip on their shoulder...like they were unbeatable and they thrived on the energy from the fans.

Ron Madden
08-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Dave Miley ask the Reds to sign Freel.

P.S. Furman makes me ill.

buckeyenut
08-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I was amazed when I saw we sold out last night. Almost 35K the night before, bobblehead tonight, Bob Castenelli's half off move really paid off.

On to Freel, he has really stepped up defensively since getting the fulltime OF position. I thought of him as a CF type, but he has been exceptional in RF and the arm is better than I thought.

I wanted to move him to 2B and play Denorfia out in the OF with Phillips at SS. But I am starting to rethink that a little.

dfs
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
how the heck did we even get Ryan Freel? I"m guessing he came over in the Lopez trade?

Miley admired the way Freel played and had the reds sign him as a minor league free agent.

westofyou
08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Now, for you Rose fans...what do you think the odds are that Freel becomes the face of the team?

It's Cincinnati, scrappy is the cherry on the baseball sundae in that town.

Heath
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Got his debut in the majors for Bluejays in 2001, Signed as a free agent with the reds in the fall of 2002

In between he spent a year at AAA for the Devil Rays and actually started in Louisville in 2003.

BuckWoody
08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
It's Cincinnati, scrappy is the cherry on the baseball sundae in that town.
Bing!

If you play the game in this town the way Pete played, you will be adored. While that is mostly a good thing, it has its dark side. Eric Davis didn't play like Pete and he wasn't embraced by the fans until later in his career.

westofyou
08-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Bing!

If you play the game in this town the way Pete played, you will be adored. While that is mostly a good thing, it has its dark side. Eric Davis didn't play like Pete and he wasn't embraced by the fans until later in his career.
Scrappy is the method to win the fans in Cincinnati, often though that's the only thing they win.

Here's the Reds greatest scrappy players prior to Freel.

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/04/21/scrappy-a-baseball-state-of-being/

osuceltic
08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Bing!

Fans LOVED Davis early in his career. They turned a little as he missed more and more time with injury and became a shadow of the player he once was. Davis actually did play a lot like Pete early in his career, and fans appreciated that. It was the later-career Davis that fans struggled to embrace. Some of that was unfair, some of it wasn't.

BCubb2003
08-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Fans LOVED Davis early in his career. They turned a little as he missed more and more time with injury and became a shadow of the player he once was. Davis actually did play a lot like Pete early in his career, and fans appreciated that. It was the later-career Davis that fans struggled to embrace. Some of that was unfair, some of it wasn't.

I was thinking of Davis last night, of him climbing the walls and diving on Riverfront's "fuzzy concrete." The difference is that Davis had off-the-charts talent and an even more fragile body (the least body fat of any major leaguer at the time.)

buckscout
08-09-2006, 11:43 AM
when is Furman on?

osuceltic
08-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Scrappy is the method to win the fans in Cincinnati, often though that's the only thing they win.

Here's the Reds greatest scrappy players prior to Freel.

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/04/21/scrappy-a-baseball-state-of-being/
That's a little unfair. Cincinnati fans love guys who play hard. That's not a bad thing. If a guy plays hard and has great talent (Rose, Morgan), they love him even more.

westofyou
08-09-2006, 11:49 AM
That's a little unfair. Cincinnati fans love guys who play hard.

Just a POV, they love em but they also often shower lesser players with an unmatched adulation. I find it to be a big part of the franchise (and the games) history.

BuckWoody
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
They turned on him a little too quickly in my opinion. I don't think he received the benefit of the doubt like a "scrappy" player would have gotten.

If you think that Davis' style of play mirrored Pete's style of play, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pete was an all-out, hair on fire, cap flying off, head first slide, take no crap, fireplug of a player. Davis was a graceful, silky smooth, lithe and agile, calmly confident kind of player. Davis appeared to play the game with ease and innate God given ability while Pete scratched and clawed to get every once of ability out of his body. Just my take on it...

osuceltic
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
They turned on him a little too quickly in my opinion. I don't think he received the benefit of the doubt like a "scrappy" player would have gotten.

If you think that Davis' style of play mirrored Pete's style of play, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pete was an all-out, hair on fire, cap flying off, head first slide, take no crap, fireplug of a player. Davis was a graceful, silky smooth, lithe and agile, calmly confident kind of player. Davis appeared to play the game with ease and innate God given ability while Pete scratched and clawed to get every once of ability out of his body. Just my take on it...
I only meant that they played it 100 percent all-out. Davis dove, crashed into walls, stole bases, took extra bases ... he played his butt off. He looked more graceful doing it, of course. And he was a drastically different player. But they both would run through a wall. Rose was built for it, Davis wasn't.

BuckWoody
08-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I only meant that they played it 100 percent all-out. Davis dove, crashed into walls, stole bases, took extra bases ... he played his butt off. He looked more graceful doing it, of course. And he was a drastically different player. But they both would run through a wall. Rose was built for it, Davis wasn't.
We would appear to be on the same page then. :thumbup: