PDA

View Full Version : The Catch

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I was at the game tonight, and just returned home, and let me just say that that was the most spectacular play I've EVER seen in person. That play changed the momentum of the game, the series, and maybe even more than that. Big game tomorrow with Harang vs. Carpenter. Hopefully Harang can keep the momentum going, and we can continue to march towards St. Louis.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2006, 01:01 AM
I liked this quote from Milton. "That changed the game right there," Milton said. "The momentum turned around. It probably won the game for us. It was a gift out. It was like he gave me a Christmas present. It was a huge load off my shoulders, and then the crowd started getting into it."

By the way, since you were there... just how loud was it during that ovation?

bthomasiscool
08-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Crazy loud, and it lasted probably 5 minutes, and continued every time his name was mentioned or he batted through out the game.

RedEye
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Whose catch? I didn't see the game and I don't feel like flipping through the game thread right now. Who did it?

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Freel had a ridiculous diving catch with Pujols up, 2 men on, up 4-1 middle of the game (4th?). It was a lined shot to the Right Field gap and he superman dove to grab it. Number one Web Gem on a day of great defense. Crowd gave him a standing O longer than I've ever seen for a single play.

RedEye
08-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Awesome! Thanks.

BoCcc2832
08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Who's saying "Who dey" right now? This is Reds country until the end of October, baby!

CTA513
08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Whose catch? I didn't see the game and I don't feel like flipping through the game thread right now. Who did it?

Video: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/scripts/mediaplayer/mp_tpl.jsp?w_id=510494&w=2006/open/tp/archive08/080806_slncin_freel_catch_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2006/08/08/slnmlb-cinmlb-1&vid=7758&mid=200608081599696&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&murl=

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Watching his highlight reel on mlb.com just gave me chills. What a night. Possibly one of his best all around games ever.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 01:25 AM
It was incredibly loud. I can't even explain it, you'd have to be there. That man, for one night, took the city of Cincinnati on his back. The crowd was tentative early on, almost to the point of being scared it seemed, but when Freel made that catch it was amazing. From that point on, it was chaos, and Cincinnati fans regained what they lost a while ago: their swagger

Super_Barry11
08-09-2006, 01:34 AM
I can't even describe what it was like to see that catch in person.... Ryan Freel just amazes me!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: What a great game!! :D

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:34 AM
While I was watching, my friend I was with was waiting in line for hotdogs...too bad.

guttle11
08-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Absolutely unbelieveable to see in person. What a night!

reds44
08-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Wow I just watched "Ryan Freel's Great Night" highlight reel, and I watched the game live, but I didn't really appreciate all he did until I watched that. The guy was simply unreal tonight.

BuckeyeRed27
08-09-2006, 02:05 AM
I hate to compare anything to the Yankees, but this catch seemed a lot like when Jeter dove into the stands a few years back to make that catch. Everything changes after that. One guy shows you how much he wants to win and the rest of the guys pile right on.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Exactly! Great example.

Jpup
08-09-2006, 03:23 AM
great night by Ryan Freel even if Narron thinks he plays "too hard." Let's not forget that Dunn had a very nice evening as well.

UKFlounder
08-09-2006, 06:19 AM
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20060809&Category=SPT04&ArtNo=308090029&Ref=AR&Profile=1062&MaxW=315&border=1

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 06:21 AM
From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch story this morning

The Cardinals were in the process of turning around the game as Freel retreated for Pujols' fifth-inning drive. The Cardinals trailed 4-2 at the time. David Eckstein stood on second base and Ronnie Belliard at first. The question wasn't whether Pujols' ball would drop, but how many runners would score and how much damage the Cardinals might do since the Reds had yet to secure an out in the inning.

Freel is generously listed at 5 feet 10 but looks more like the 5-foot-7 Eckstein's outfield clone. He is an overachiever originally drafted by the Cardinals but who first signed with Toronto. Because he didn't play his 10th major-league game until his ninth professional season, Freel is used to playing catch-up.

Somehow Freel reached the same zip code as Pujols' drive as the ball began to fall near the right field warning track.

Freel dived away from the plate with his left arm extended. For a second, Great American Ball Park went silent before exploding in noise as Freel backhanded the ball in flight and belly-flopped atop the track. Neither baserunner advanced.

"When he hit the ball, I didn't think I had any chance, but as I ran I was able to catch up to the ball," Freel said. "But I still thought I was chasing a double."

"That was a gift," Milton said. "It was like he gave me a Christmas present."

Pujols stood transfixed at first base for several seconds then watched the replay as he jogged to the third-base dugout.

"It was a great play by a great player,'' Pujols said.

buckeyenut
08-09-2006, 06:43 AM
3 hits, an absolutely incredible sac bunt and maybe the best and most important Reds best defensive play of the year.

Not a bad night.

SunDeck
08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Man, I just watched th replay. It happens so fast that it would be easy to miss how great a catch it really was. Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.
Let's hope last night gets the Reds going.

RedsBaron
08-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Easily one of the greatest catches that I have ever seen. Amazing.:notworthy :freel: :clap:

remdog
08-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Man, I just watched th replay. It happens so fast that it would be easy to miss how great a catch it really was. Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.
Let's hope last night gets the Reds going.

It was definately a GREAT catch---and I try not to use the word great very often to describe athletic events---but it definately was.

I like watching the highlite reels of exceptional plays but I will comment that there is never as much excitement and amazement in the highlights as there are when you're simply watching the game and---it justs happens! You're just sitting there, not expecting anything and BOOM! a play like that comes out of nowhere and leaves you stunned! And that's when you just shake your head, smile and think to yourself, 'wow, love this game!'

Rem

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 08:00 AM
It was definately a GREAT catch---and I try not to use the word great very often to describe athletic events---but it definately was.

I like watching the highlite reels of exceptional plays but I will comment that there is never as much excitement and amazement in the highlights as there are when you're simply watching the game and---it justs happens! You're just sitting there, not expecting anything and BOOM! a play like that comes out of nowhere and leaves you stunned! And that's when you just shake your head, smile and think to yourself, 'wow, love this game!'

Rem

That's why Marty's call of the play was better than the TV's, although props to George Grande for even suggesting Freel might have a chance at it - it clearly lacked the drama of Marty's call. Marty was calling it as a hit tying the game up and then suddenly, "Did he catch? He caught it!" or something akin to that.

I'm not sure how to find the specific link, but the call is available as audio on Reds.com for the games' highlights.

RedsFan75
08-09-2006, 08:08 AM
And the Cards runners were so sure it was a hit, he almost doubled up Eckstein

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I was glad to see the link the mlb.com's video of just the catch, but I just watched the video on reds.com of the Ryan Freel Highlight Reel (the Freel Reel?!?!) and on the offensive side there are three things that struck me:

I loved the skidding stop around second and the scamper back to the bag.

On Griffey's liner to Pujols, I noticed that Freel just stood there waiting as Pujols came across the field and took off as soon as he threw to third and he nearly made it after the pickle.

On the bunt, that ball game up and in on him and it's unbelievable that he even got the bat on the ball without getting clobbered by the ball. I think the pitcher was so stunned that he did it that it affected his throw.

What a player!

ChatterRed
08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Give that man a Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer!

On second thought. Don't.

But great catch!

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 09:28 AM
That bunt was friggin amazing as well. He was flopping around like a fish to get it down, and somehow did. Wow.

I was looking at the reds highlights for the catch, and it seems every other day, one of the highlights is "Freel's Diving Catch"
-----> See for Yourself: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cin

redsfan30
08-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I was there and I have never ever seen a better play in person. I was speechless. The ovations he got were amazing. Everytime his name was so much as mentioned, he got a minute long standing ovation.

Unreal.

Tommyjohn25
08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
That's why Marty's call of the play was better than the TV's, although props to George Grande for even suggesting Freel might have a chance at it - it clearly lacked the drama of Marty's call. Marty was calling it as a hit tying the game up and then suddenly, "Did he catch? He caught it!" or something akin to that.

I'm not sure how to find the specific link, but the call is available as audio on Reds.com for the games' highlights.

Here's the link to Martys call.

Edit..crap. Don't know how to post a link apparently. It's posted on 700wlw.com under the Reds section though if you want to hear it.

BuckWoody
08-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Here's the link to Martys call.

Edit..crap. Don't know how to post a link apparently. It's posted on 700wlw.com under the Reds section though if you want to hear it.
Click here. (http://www.redsonradio.com/timages/page/media/Great_catch_by_Freel_1080806.mp3)

What a great way to answer the pounding they took on Monday. I hope they saved some for tonight, I'm headed down with my dad.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I think what everyone likes about Freel, is that he makes things happen. He's not the GREATEST player in the world, but he's willing to do anything and everything to help his team win, and that's what this club needs.

My dad mentioned this to me last night, but to be honest, wouldn't you agree that Freel is the last person we have had to REALLY bring the life out in the game since Pete Rose? Of course we had Rob Dibble....but all he did was throw it at people's heads.

registerthis
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM

He was giving a lot of love to Freel last night.

bnancs
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
I make a lot of diving catches playing left in softball, and I'd like to point out that that catch, diving backward and left (forced to backhand the catch) is BY FAR harder than diving any other direction. Amazing catch - I must have watched it 30 times last night.

Caseyfan21
08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Man, what a catch! I was at the Diamondbacks game last night and followed the Reds game on the scoreboard there. I was obviously pumped up for the win. When I came home I asked my roommate if he had seen the Reds highlights on ESPN when he was watching (he's a Padre's fan) and if so who had the big hits. He couldn't really remember but told me that the rightfielder made an incredible catch off Pujols diving onto the warning track. I just smiled and said, "Rightfield? That's gotta be Freel going all out." Also, that quote by Pujols just goes to show what others think of Freel. He's beginning to get a big reputation as a guy that hustles for every play and goes all out. Hopefully we can keep getting him in the lineup consistently.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
austin who?

Jr's Boy
08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
It's a gift out," starter Eric Milton said. "It's like he gave me a Christmas present right there. It's just a huge weight off your shoulders. After that, the crowd just picks you up and the adrenaline starts kicking in. The crowd was deafening. It was a great moment."

Freel went 3-for-4 with three runs and three standing ovations.

"That was phenomenal," Freel said. "It was the most enjoyable game I've ever played, and it was because of the crowd."

Tuesday's win was as uplifting for the Reds as Monday's 13-1 loss was discouraging.

"It was good to hear the crowd," Rich Aurilia said. "That was loud. This is the first time a lot of these guys have heard that."

Nice to hear the players talk about the crowd,it really means so much to them and they fed off of it lastnight.

goreds2
08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Great game to say the least last night for Ryan.

What impressed me about him was Monday night also.

It was 13 to 1 in the bottom of the ninth. He hit a topper in the infield and HUSTLED to first like it was a 3 to 1 game. That type of play has impressed me about him.

Jr's Boy
08-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Freel plays like Pete Rose used too,head on, and balls to the wall.And the fans see that.

Tommyjohn25
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Another amazing thing about him is that he has the ability to completely take over a game. How many times do you see that out of a player like Freel? I mean, you see power hitters take over games all the time, you may see Dunn have a 5 RBI day at the plate, or Ryan Howard go 5 for 5 with two homers. Now you have Freel, who's game is singles, defense, and flat out hustle, and BAM!! On any given night he can impose his will on another team, totally get inside their head and literally take over the game and carry the team on his scrappy shoulders.

I've never seen anything like it, but I'll tell you what, I sure as hell do love it.

Matt700wlw
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Jerry Rice

:p:

HotCorner
08-09-2006, 03:40 PM
I feel Friday's diving catch against Atlanta was just as good. Both were extraordinary! :thumbup:

penantboundreds
08-09-2006, 04:31 PM
milty should buy him a car....with that money he is "earning"

lawnboy33
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
II haven't been this excited about the reds in awhile now. All thanks to one man Pete ros caugh caugh I mean ryan freel ! This man is a human highlight real ! To here the crowd alive get back into it again I feel like we are reborn!! Sold out thurday and only upper deck available tonight! Thanks for bringing back true baseball to cinci Ryan!! RYAN FREEL THE HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL

TeamBoone
08-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Tonight is now sold out.

Always Red
08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Tonight is now sold out.
Too bad the Reds were down 4-0, 5 hitters into the game.

You know, it's just bad dang luck that everytime something great happens, and the fans get excited and start flocking back to the park, we're in an immediate hole.:(

Scrap Irony
08-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Ummm, yeah... About that hole...