PDA

View Full Version : Where were you...

bha
08-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Tonight is one of those nights that you will remember where you were...at least I will...

I have been to roughly 5 games a year since I was 5 years old coming with my dad to see the BRM. Until this January, that was coming from N. of Indy. I've witnessed plenty of thrills in my visits. Johnny Bench's last homerun on his retirement night, Barry Larkin's final homerun, come from behind wins, and plenty of duds, the Mothers Day Massacre (although I did get my first foul ball), the Carlos Beltran Grand Slam a few weeks back.

But, what I witnessed tonight was the single greatest experience I have ever had at a Reds Ballgame. "The catch" happened right in front of us in the Moondeck! The classic part of the catch was the look of disbelief on Jr.'s face. I remember giving a standing ovation to JB and BL on their final homeruns, but I don't know that I've ever seen a crowd stand on its feet longer than they did tonight for a defensive play! It was unbelievably electric.

I am so thankful that I stood my ground on going to the game tonight and was able to enjoy with my girlfriend and our 3 boys. For them to get to experience with me "the catch" was just magical. I truly think that this event can be the start of a great finish in 2006. If nothing else, it solidified their interest in the game and knowing how exciting baseball can be.

It was so much fun getting to see the fans with great joy slapping five with ever run that crossed the plate. Jr. let us have a great moment in the 8th inning. He was engaging with the fans in the moondeck giving the "he's crazy" motion and pointing to Freel. Then as we break out with the "we're not worthy bow", Jr. is yelling at Freel, "Freel, turn around" to which we continue with our bowing. Freel tips the cap and is right back to business.

So, whether this team makes the playoffs or not this year...for one night, I couldn't be any prouder than I am to be a fan of the Cincinnati Reds!

BoCcc2832
08-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I was in section 141 (right field), row Z, seat 2. I didn't see Freel make the catch, but I saw him dive for it and heard the crowd roar, and knowing Freel, I knew he caught it. Talk about one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my 21-year history of being a Reds fan. Absolutely unbelievable.

08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Hey now, you better sqelch that positive attitude.:D

Seriously, it was one of the more enjoyable games I went to- the positive abd the negative. Last May, I sprung for 4 seats 5 rows in back of the Reds dugout- the home plate side even. Absolutely nothing happened. There were only 3 runs scored, I thihnk. Maybe 5 hits. No foul pop ups near our seat. No plays at the plate. Nothing that made these great seats worthy of what I paid. I was in 415 tonight and I had a blast!

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:21 AM
532 row O, seat 11

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Section 141, Row Z, Seat 1

reds44
08-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Where I am right now. On my computer watching it on mlb.tv.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Tonight is one of those nights that you will remember where you were...at least I will...

I have been to roughly 5 games a year since I was 5 years old coming with my dad to see the BRM. Until this January, that was coming from N. of Indy. I've witnessed plenty of thrills in my visits. Johnny Bench's last homerun on his retirement night, Barry Larkin's final homerun, come from behind wins, and plenty of duds, the Mothers Day Massacre (although I did get my first foul ball), the Carlos Beltran Grand Slam a few weeks back.

But, what I witnessed tonight was the single greatest experience I have ever had at a Reds Ballgame. "The catch" happened right in front of us in the Moondeck! The classic part of the catch was the look of disbelief on Jr.'s face. I remember giving a standing ovation to JB and BL on their final homeruns, but I don't know that I've ever seen a crowd stand on its feet longer than they did tonight for a defensive play! It was unbelievably electric.

I am so thankful that I stood my ground on going to the game tonight and was able to enjoy with my girlfriend and our 3 boys. For them to get to experience with me "the catch" was just magical. I truly think that this event can be the start of a great finish in 2006. If nothing else, it solidified their interest in the game and knowing how exciting baseball can be.

It was so much fun getting to see the fans with great joy slapping five with ever run that crossed the plate. Jr. let us have a great moment in the 8th inning. He was engaging with the fans in the moondeck giving the "he's crazy" motion and pointing to Freel. Then as we break out with the "we're not worthy bow", Jr. is yelling at Freel, "Freel, turn around" to which we continue with our bowing. Freel tips the cap and is right back to business.

So, whether this team makes the playoffs or not this year...for one night, I couldn't be any prouder than I am to be a fan of the Cincinnati Reds!
No that didn't happen, Jr.'s ego is too big to care about anyone but himself. In fact he was probably angry that Freel made that catch to show him up.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
No that didn't happen, Jr.'s ego is too big to care about anyone but himself. In fact he was probably angry that Freel made that catch to show him up.

LOL I hope you're kidding. :p:

I was sitting in my dad's home watching the game. Looked away for a split second, saw Pujols had possibly jacked another homer, and watching Freel fly from an off-camera angle, and snag it right out of the air.

dabvu2498
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I gad a similar thought last night to the one I had on June 24, 1990 when this happened:

REDS 7TH: HARTLEY REPLACED HATCHER (PITCHING); Braggs struck
out; Benzinger walked; Duncan flied to right; Charlton was hit
by a pitch [Benzinger to second]; Oliver doubled to left
[Benzinger scored, Charlton scored]; Larkin grounded out (third
to first); 2 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Dodgers 4, Reds 10.
http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06240CIN1990.htm

I'll always remember where I was that night. (at a baseball camp.)

For the record, last night I was in Section 111, Row D.

RBA
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I was in El Paso. I had the game MUTED on MLB.tv as I was listening to another streaming program at the same time. Well, I must of had it on low volume, instead of mute, becaue the screams/applause of the crowd came thru my laptop speakers. So I quickly clicked on the MLB.tv window and they were showing the replay of Freel's catch. It was exciting just to hear the crowd.

bthomasiscool
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I was sitting in the bleachers, way up there. From where I was sitting it was sometimes hard to track the ball. As the ball was hit the whole time I kept my eye on Griffey, doubting whether he would catch it or not. At the last second I say Freel come out of the middle of nowhere and lay out to make the catch. One of the most incredible things I have ever seen. I sure hope I can move like that when I'm 30.:thumbup:

huber14
08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
taking my friend home, i leave the game for 5 minutes and thats what i miss.:(

reds1869
08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Section 422, Row A, Seat 7. Best play I've ever seen.

baron23
08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
521, row L, seat 16

in my opinion, the best seat to see how fast freel closed on that ball.

Tom B
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
at home watching it on TV, and was taking a drink of water at the time and about choked on it as he made that unbelievable catch.

And to think I chose to go to the game on Monday night instead!!:bang:

ChatterRed
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I was in bed having sex when I heard screams and thought it was my partner.......then realized it was the fans.........so I quickly jumped out of bed and caught the replay.

reds1869
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I was in bed having sex when I heard screams and thought it was my partner.......then realized it was the fans.........so I quickly jumped out of bed and caught the replay.

Wow.

:)

REDREAD
08-09-2006, 03:21 PM

:laugh: Did she let you back in bed after that? :laugh:

Buckeye33
08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
:laugh: Did she let you back in bed after that? :laugh:

Who said anything about a she?? :devil: :devil:

Caseyfan21
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
That's awesome man. I have tix in the 4th row right in front of where he made the catch on Thursday. I can only hope the game is as good as last nights.

redsfan30
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Section 419, Row G, seat 5.