PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else make that catch?

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Here's a quick question: Can any of you think of five more right fielders in the game that makes that catch tonight that Freel makes? Not to put Kearns down, but I know he sure as heck doesn't come close to it. Me and my friend were discussing this during the game. I'm not sure if another right fielders gets to it to be honest

Blue
08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I have a hard time seeing how anyone else could make that play. You hardly ever see an outfielder dive with his back to the infield, though Freel has done it numerous times.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 02:07 AM
I'm not even sure how many right fielders GET to it, let alone catch it. Freel was completely extended when he caught the ball. Just absolutely amazing. A few guys in the game might have had the speed to get to it, but can they lay out full extension and catch it as Freel did? Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I'd say no.

redssouth
08-09-2006, 02:42 AM
The only Right Fielder that I could come up with that may make that catch... is Ichiro, and I dont think he dives for it like that, but he has the speed, and probably better outfield skills than Freel. Ryan makes up for a lot with effort, but he doesnt always get the best breaks on fly balls when they are hit. He is getting a lot better this year compared to the past couple of seasons, but I still wouldnt put him in the top 5 or 10 of defensive outfielders in the game like some on here seem to have conceded to him.

MaineRed
08-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Thats a triple if Kearns is out there.

Redhook
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I'd say no for two reasons. One, there's only a couple of guys that are fast enough to get to that ball. And two, if they somehow got there as fast as Freel did, I doubt they'd dive all out on the warning track like that. Freel has absolutely no concern whatsoever about getting hurt. You gotta love watching the guy play. :thumbup:

IowaRed
08-09-2006, 07:56 AM
I doubt any RF's make that play, a few OF's off the top of my head that might have a shot-Eric Byrnes, Gary Matthews Jr., Brady Clark, Aaron Rowand.

RedFanAlways1966
08-09-2006, 07:57 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine... I shall call him "George".

"George" says that Jim Edmunds would have made that catch in his back-pocket... would have doubled-off the runner at 2nd-base... and would also have gotten the runner at 1st-base. A triple play.

Ryan who?!?!

;) :devil: ;)

MrCinatit
08-09-2006, 08:09 AM
"George" says that Jim Edmunds would have made that catch in his back-pocket... would have doubled-off the runner at 2nd-base... and would also have gotten the runner at 1st-base. A triple play.
Ryan who?!?!
;) :devil: ;)

Didn't your friend "George" also say Prince Albert would field the ball at second, and run the ball back to first himself to complete said triple play? :p:

CySeymour
08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I think Ichiro probably makes the play, and may not even have to dive.

redsfan30
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Ichiro is the only one I can think of that could even be in the general area of that ball.

Newman4
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
:bowrofl:

Ryan who?!?!

;) :devil: ;) I'd give you like infinite rep points if I could

Joseph
08-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't know if Deno would have caught it, but he would have been in the area. Hitting aside, that guy is fast.

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Corey Patterson, Coco Crisp, Rowand all have good chances...because they are CENTERFIELDERS. I think Griffey circa 1992 has a shot at that one. That ball was much closer to CF than it was to right.

Newman4
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Corey Patterson, Coco Crisp, Rowand all have good chances...because they are CENTERFIELDERS. I think Griffey circa 1992 has a shot at that one. That ball was much closer to CF than it was to right.

So is Freel, except Griffey plays there. :)

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
I agree with the Griffey comment. My friend asked me who else I thought would make that catch, and I pointed to Griffey and said "in his prime, that man right there."

Always Red
08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
There aren't too many guys fast enough to get there, but certainly some would.

But there is no one else crazy enough to dive for that ball!

An unbelievable catch, in a clutch moment- just as clutch as when he caught the foul ball down the RF line the other day.:clap: :clap: :clap:

TeamBoone
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I think it depends on how the OFer is positioned. I've often heard it mentioned that because of his speed, Freel plays a shallower outfield.

Regardless, that catch was outstanding!

BCubb2003
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
First, you have to be a maniac to think you can get there, then you have to have the speed to almost get there, then you have to be a maniac to dive flat out. Nobody has all three traits like Freel does.

RBA
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Dante Bichette, the 2000 version. Or Rich Aurilia, anytime, any day.

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh man, Bichette was something else. Remember his first game with us when he slid on his butt trying to make a sliding catch, and the ball went right past him to the wall? I looked at my brother and said "I hope that isn't a sign of things to come with him." Little did I know...