PDA

View Full Version : Overusing pitchers

Kc61
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
The Majewski situation is a warning against overusing relievers. On the Reds, most of the relievers are older and there really is no long-term problem with using them a lot. This is a pennant race and their time is now.

I do get concerned about the use of Bray and Coffey, especially Bray. Narron obviously likes this guy but uses him a great deal. I hope the Reds will focus on avoiding overuse of the two young relievers.

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
The Majewski situation is a warning against overusing relievers. On the Reds, most of the relievers are older and there really is no long-term problem with using them a lot. This is a pennant race and their time is now.

I do get concerned about the use of Bray and Coffey, especially Bray. Narron obviously likes this guy but uses him a great deal. I hope the Reds will focus on avoiding overuse of the two young relievers.

This thread should be called "Overusing Pitchers" and should include under its rubric Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.

Kc61
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
This thread should be called "Overusing Pitchers" and should include under its rubric Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.

Done.

westofyou
08-09-2006, 01:09 PM
On the Reds, most of the relievers are older and there really is no long-term problem with using them a lot. Just a short term, as in they can't give you the innings that a young reliever can give you. Since 2000 only 5 "true" relievers have topped 100 innings pitched, since 1937 only 21% of the 418 relievers to achieve the feat were over 32 years old.

When the Reds started the season they had something like 3 relievers younger then 32, they were on their way to overusing the BP befor ethe parade left Findlay Market.

oregonred
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
After this series, I would be careful with overuse of Bray based on the number of innings he's pitched in pro ball.

Will be hard to do because it's obvious Narron has a lot of confidence in his abilities and as he will need to fill in more the next 15 days with Majik out.