PDA

View Full Version : Larue -- Did anyone notice???

UKAlum97
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Larue was not out at home plate to meet Ross and celebrate with the team. In addition, right after Ross took the curtain call, Larue came over and gave him a "high five" but the expression JL's face was telling. Larue was ticked off. I thought that JL would at least try to act happy.

If anyone DVR'd the game, you need to go back and watch the few moments right after Ross's curtain call.

fisch11
08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I did catch that. We all know LaRue is upset about not getting much playing time, but c'mon your team just wins it in the 9th against the division leaders in a crucial series and you can't even celebrate? Or at least put your ego aside and fake it?

Redsfan08
08-09-2006, 11:29 PM
oh well

jimbo
08-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I noticed it right away. He had that look like he was annoyed that he had to come up from the clubhouse. Never thought I'd see LaRue as a selfish player but it sure looks like it's happened.

redsfan4445
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
yep time to get that selfish cancer off this team!!!! BYE LARUE!!!! hope he is gone soon..

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Jason LaPew

ryanparkersongs
08-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I went back on the DVR to watch the moment again for the sheer joy of it and yes...I did notice Larue looked like he was not nearly as excited as everyone else. In fact, jimbo hit the nail on the head when he said he looked "annoyed". Ross is our catcher and Valentin is the backup as far as I am concerned. Larue's better days have passed him by...on a happier note, though, I cannot recall 2 better nights of baseball in Cincinnati than the last two nights!

VI_RedsFan
08-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Edit- Forget this post.

2001MUgrad
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
I can imagine how Larue feels though. Very tough situation. He is certainly making good money to do nothing, but by the same token he signed on thinking he was the starting catcher. He got hurt and basically never got a chance to start. Very tough situation to be in. I was really hoping they could unload him to the BoSox earlier in the week.

pedro
08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
and yet last time DR had a big game winning hit Larue was right there on the top step cheering him on and nobody started a thread to mention that.

I think people read too much into this stuff.

ghettochild
08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
larue is the better defensive catcher out of all 3...its not his fault that narron can't see that and do a tandum of larue and ross.

valentin is just there cause he's a switch hitter, or atleast thats what his baseball card says.

we could have got atleast a decent MR in the offseason if we would have traded javy because he had nothing more than a career year and i called it from the start.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
This year I really support D. Ross being our everyday catcher, and I'd like to trade LaRue if we could but I don't know how much you can take from watching that. Maybe it was something else. Maybe somebody made some comment to him. We can speculate all we want but I don't know if you can call JL selfish because of a 2 second shot of him on tv. He may be selfish but I need more proof than that.

spaethc
08-09-2006, 11:47 PM
I hope this is what it takes to get LaRue off the team. I have no more patience with him, I rather have Corky Miller back on the team.

Tony Cloninger
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Well trying to play both LaRue and Ross every other day......does not really work either.

Most want Ross there beacuse of his offense.......LaRue is better on defense...but you cannot just put in another catcher in the 7th-9th innings every day...like when you make a defensive replacement at 3B or SS.

You have to hope Ross keeps hitting to offset his questionable defensive skills.

terminator
08-09-2006, 11:59 PM
As for tonight, who knows. He's no cancer. I doubt he meant to seem annoyed.

Regardless, LaRue has every right to be ticked off this season. People are writing him off way too early. After 2000+ career ABs, 155 ABs in 2006 (some of which were during a recovery from minor knee surgery) doesn't mean much.

If given the chance, LaRue will come on and regain his usual form. Maybe next year we'll get to see a Ross/LaRue tandem. It never hurts to have two bona fide MLB catchers.

big boy
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
You have to hope Ross keeps hitting to offset his questionable defensive skills.

True Dat...how many balls is DR gonna drop at the plate?

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I can imagine how Larue feels though. Very tough situation. He is certainly making good money to do nothing, but by the same token he signed on thinking he was the starting catcher. He got hurt and basically never got a chance to start. Very tough situation to be in. I was really hoping they could unload him to the BoSox earlier in the week.

With all due respect I would disagree that he was never given a chance to start this year. When he returned in April, LaRue was playing more than Ross and Valentin, making him the "starting" catcher. After a while, it became clear that Ross was the better player and he began logging the most starts. Then Ross got hurt and once again LaRue received most of the starts behind the plate. And once again he failed to produce.

I also noticed LaRue's "poop face" while congratulating Ross tonight. Like "I better go give him a high 5 or everyone will know I am unhappy." Really disappointed with the way LaRue has handled this situation. Yes, it must be difficult, but he needs to remember he's one of the most overpaid catchers in baseball. He fortunate Dan O'Brien gave him the (horrible) 2-year deal.

dman
08-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I've liked LaRue during his tenure with the Reds. But the bottom line is it is what it is, plain and simple. LaRue's not gettin' the job done and Ross is, no two ways about it. It's like in an everyday job, if you feel the new guy is prowling your territory, you're gonna' work harder to shut him down, and Ross has the numbers to back his play while LaRue doesn't

MWM
08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
What happened to that "This Thread Sucks" emoticon? We need it.

Shaggy Sanchez
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
I think people are reading way to much into this. We have no idea why he was looking the way he was and there is no evidence that it even had anything to do with the game. I find it funny that he is now a cancer to the team because he looked annoyed after Ross hit a homerun. I have no problem with LaRue being upset that he isn't starting every game, the day he says he doesn't care is the day I start to worry. I keep seeing all these posts about how we need to do anything we can to get rid of LaRue and it makes me laugh. LaRue might make a lot of money but the new owner has said he will spend more so LaRue's contract isn't really hurting us especially after getting rid of Kearns and Lopez. The season started bad for Jason because of an injury and after Ross started strong Jason never had a chance to get anything going he is not as bad as a lot on this board seem to think. Valentine had a career year as a platoon last year and Ross has had a career year this year. I'm not saying that we shouldn't ride out Ross's great play while we can but I'll take LaRue's career numbers over either of the others. I think giving LaRue away just to get rid of him as some suggest would be a bad idea he is a better player than a lot of people like to admit.

OldRed1966
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
In LaRue's defense, since Valentin pinch hit to begin the inning, he had to be in the bullpen to catch whomever was warming up in case the Reds tied the game and sent it to extra innings. I know LaRue isn't happy about the catching situation, but he wants to win just as badly as everyone else.

penantboundreds
08-10-2006, 12:26 AM
im not saying he is a cancer, but he isnt the best defensive catcher either....david ross calls a great game and gets pitchers pitches...larue cant frame at all

kyred14
08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Hmm, I thought some would want to talk about how great of a win this was, instead I find discussion over some non-issue. Oh well.......

Razor Shines
08-10-2006, 12:33 AM
In LaRue's defense, since Valentin pinch hit to begin the inning, he had to be in the bullpen to catch whomever was warming up in case the Reds tied the game and sent it to extra innings. I know LaRue isn't happy about the catching situation, but he wants to win just as badly as everyone else.
Well there's a good reason for him not to be at home plate.

MWM
08-10-2006, 12:41 AM
im not saying he is a cancer, but he isnt the best defensive catcher either....david ross calls a great game and gets pitchers pitches...larue cant frame at all

I love what David Ross has done this season and I hope he remains the everyday catcher, but he's not a very good defensive catcher. He's one of the weaker ones defensively we've seen in a while.

Redus
08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Larue needs to go

penantboundreds
08-10-2006, 02:10 AM
mwm i disagree...not saying im right but i disagree....he calls a great game and really manages the pitchers...he gets them more pitches (once again not saying im right you are wrong just saying thats what i believe)

TeamBoone
08-10-2006, 02:25 AM
I can NOT believe people are blasting Jason LaRue becuase he did not have a smile on his face when he high-fived David Ross!!!! And because of it, he's now a cancer in the clubhouse.

Absolutely no one knows what was going through his head at that time. Hell, maybe someone just stepped on his foot!

Jason is a gamer and there's no doubt in my mind but what he was extremely happy to win that game. None whatsoever.

Where does this stuff come from? These kinds of posts never cease to amaze me.

Cedric
08-10-2006, 02:26 AM
I can NOT believe people are blasting Jason LaRue becuase he did not have a smile on his face when he high-fived David Ross!!!! And because of it, he's now a cancer in the clubhouse.

Absolutely no one knows what was going through his head at that time. Hell, maybe someone just stepped on his foot!

Jason is a game and there's no doubt in my mind but what he extremely happy to win that game. None whatsoever.

Always been here. I've seen some hilarious stuff about Aurilia and Griffey the last few years.

spalmer69
08-10-2006, 02:48 AM
The last several interviews ive heard with jason larue has sounded like he has had a case of "the azz" Ive always liked jason but for some time now ive gotten the impression that he is a selfish individual

NatiRedGals
08-10-2006, 03:07 AM
:larue::deadhorse

i_heart_jason
08-10-2006, 03:21 AM

Jason is a gamer and there's no doubt in my mind but what he was extremely happy to win that game. None whatsoever.

i agree, TB!

OldXOhio
08-10-2006, 09:28 AM
yep time to get that selfish cancer off this team!!!! BYE LARUE!!!! hope he is gone soon..

A little extreme for a guy who's given heart and soul to this organization for years, don't you think?

2001MUgrad
08-10-2006, 09:36 AM
With all due respect I would disagree that he was never given a chance to start this year. When he returned in April, LaRue was playing more than Ross and Valentin, making him the "starting" catcher.

I'm not talking about "starting" catcher. I'm talking about what LaRue had been used to and what he thought he signed up for. The man had been starting basically 4 out 5 games his career. He was basically given off on a day game after a night game and that was about it. This year all of a sudden he was playing once every 3rd or 4th game for the most part. Its not the same situation he has been in throughout his career.

Its like being a pinch hitter. You could take the best hitter in the history of baseball, but if he is used to playing every day and you move him to a pinch hitter role and expect him to hit with the same kind of consistency, its usually not going to happen.

princeton
08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
the Reds need to add a righthanded bat, not drop one. I doubt that Larue is dealt before the offseason.

goreds2
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
the Reds need to add a righthanded bat, not drop one. I doubt that Larue is dealt before the offseason.

It looks as though Ross will be the "regular" starting catcher. If he gets hurt, it will be nice to have LaRue to step in.

KalDanielsfan
08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
again, I love how hypocrital many on this board can be. I've been told "its only one game" all week with negative reputation points and rude comments on my profile.

So Larue didnt get his pom poms out..so what? He high fived him. Thats enough for me. If he had simply ignored him, then yeah thats a problem.

Larue is a good player, has put in some good years for our Reds, why turn on him now? Wow, ingrates I tell ya.

believe me, he's the best all-round catcher on the roster. Ross is having a nice year offensively, but Larue is a CATCHER.

zombie-a-go-go
08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I think he was just constipated. You cats are reading too much in to this.

Always Red
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM

totally agree, TeamBoone.

What others saw as not sharing in the team's joy, I saw as intensity. LaRue's always been a grinder.

LaRue is a tough man, has been a solid, above average catcher for some time now. Not to take anything at all away from David Ross, because he's having a storybook year, and should be in there as the starter until he cools off, if ever.

But I am not willing to kick LaRue while he is down. LaRue is not as bad a hitter as he has been this year- it's just not his track record. Jason's problems right now are in his head, and he needs to gain his confidence back, somehow, someway. I think he can still be a valuable piece of this teams puzzle, even if it is as a back up catcher. He made a couple of very nice plays on nubbers in front of the plate last night; plays that maybe Javier doesn't make.

He's not going to be DFA'd and he's not going to be traded to anyone until he begins to have better AB's. He just needs to work his way out of it.

The pitchforks and torches brigade is always looking for someone to oust. IMHO, I think this team right now just needs to be left alone to settle a bit. There have been a lot of changes the last month, I'd like to see them go the rest of the way as is.

Joseph
08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Sorry, LaRue always looks pissed off, I doubt he is hanging out with Ross after work or anything, but he was just as excited as anyone to win I'm sure.

My speculation is just as valid as everyone here screaming he's a cancer so :p:

westofyou
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Where does this stuff come from? These kinds of posts never cease to amaze me.From people who would rather watch soap operas then baseball I guess.

ochre
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
After having watched a few LaRue at bats this season, I think he's just pissed that Freel has been hogging Farney.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Larue was not out at home plate to meet Ross and celebrate with the team. In addition, right after Ross took the curtain call, Larue came over and gave him a "high five" but the expression JL's face was telling. Larue was ticked off. I thought that JL would at least try to act happy.

If anyone DVR'd the game, you need to go back and watch the few moments right after Ross's curtain call.

I DVR'd it and I will take a look for myself this evening.

VI_RedsFan
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I want to apologize for my post last night. I let my frustration get the best of me. Jason has every right to be annoyed with his PT, and I understand how he could be feel bad seeing Ross hit that walk-off homer. Who knows, maybe he wasn't even annoyed, maybe we are looking too much into this.

Truth is, I would much rather have LaRue over Javy Valentin.

TeamCasey
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I think people read too much into this stuff.

I agree.

smith288
08-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I heard LaRue kills kittens and steals babies candy all the time... What a rotten human he is... ;)

Benny-Distefano
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM
There is an unwritten rule that says you can never lose your starting job due to injury.

...There is a reason why it is still unwritten. Because it happens all the damn time.

I would LOVE to have LaRue's sour grapes. Poor guy gets paid tens of thousands of dollars a night to warm the bench. "Times is hard, Jason. Times is hard." :rolleyes:

TeamBoone
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by UKAlum97

Someone else mentioned in this thread that LaRue had been in the bullpen warming up a pitcher, which is why he wasn't in the dugout OR at the plate after David's HR.

That doesn't surprise me, as Jason often warms up the pitchers in the BP when he's not playing.

TeamBoone
08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I would LOVE to have LaRue's sour grapes. Poor guy gets paid tens of thousands of dollars a night to warm the bench. "Times is hard, Jason. Times is hard." :rolleyes:

I've heard this said so many times, and true, they do make a lot of money. But I doubt they're thinking about that while riding the pine when they think they should be playing.

wojo1025
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I've heard this said so many times, and true, they do make a lot of money. But I doubt they're thinking about that while riding the pine when they think they should be playing.

That is exactly right. Everytime I hear "oh he has it so rough, he gets paid to sit and watch baseball", those comments have to come from someone that has never played a sport or has no competitive spirit at all. If I had the option of making 3 million a year to sit and watch, or 1.5 million to play everyday, give me the 1.5 and my glove. I would be willing to bet that 99% of athletes in the world would take a pay cut if that meant they would be able to play everyday. That's just my opinion

HalMorrisRules
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Someone else mentioned in this thread that LaRue had been in the bullpen warming up a pitcher, which is why he wasn't in the dugout OR at the plate after David's HR.

That doesn't surprise me, as Jason often warms up the pitchers in the BP when he's not playing.

The other poster didnt say LaRue was in the bullpen, he said he HAD to be in the bullpen. His reasoning was that he had to be there warming up the pitchers in the bullpen. First of all, there was no pitcher warming up in the bullpen, after the home run you can see Guardado grabbing his jacket to start to come to the dugout and you see a person with a mask on standing in the bullpen cheering. It is Mark Stefanski, the bullpen catcher. That is his job. He even wears a uniform and has a jersey number of 72. Secondly, LaRue was in the dugout when the rest of the team comes back to the dugout. He is wearing a Reds pullover and definitely did not run all the way from the bullpen to the dugout just so he could be in the dugout waiting instead of celebrating with his teammates. My wife even thought that is was peculiar that the entire stadium was going crazy but LaRue was in the dugout and had a frown like his puppy dog had just died. I wont call him a cancer but the contrast between his reaction and everyone else's reaction was very noticable.

TeamBoone
08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
The other poster didnt say LaRue was in the bullpen, he said he HAD to be in the bullpen. His reasoning was that he had to be there warming up the pitchers in the bullpen. First of all, there was no pitcher warming up in the bullpen, after the home run you can see Guardado grabbing his jacket to start to come to the dugout and you see a person with a mask on standing in the bullpen cheering. It is Mark Stefanski, the bullpen catcher. That is his job. He even wears a uniform and has a jersey number of 72. Secondly, LaRue was in the dugout when the rest of the team comes back to the dugout. He is wearing a Reds pullover and definitely did not run all the way from the bullpen to the dugout just so he could be in the dugout waiting instead of celebrating with his teammates. My wife even thought that is was peculiar that the entire stadium was going crazy but LaRue was in the dugout and had a frown like his puppy dog had just died. I wont call him a cancer but the contrast between his reaction and everyone else's reaction was very noticable.

Yes, Stefanski is the BP catcher, but when he isn't playing LaRue is often there in case he's needed to warm a second pitcher.

And I still think that most are making way to much of this. There is no way on earth that LaRue wasn't happy to win that game. None whatsoever.

westofyou
08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
LaRue was likely in the clubhouse getting treated, they actually do that you know... all the time, some often are in there when the game is won... thye have TV you know.

Sometimes when a camera catches a split second of your existance a facial expression may be caught, then everyone watching can process what ever they want out of that facial expression.

And nobody likely will be right in their summation of that spilt second in Jason LaRues life.

Ltlabner
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Wow...what a waste of time, IMO. Worrying about what Jason LaRue did or didn't do durring a victory love-fest for a game winning homer. The facial expressions he did or didn't make. What those facial expressions might have looked like during the brief seconds they were on tv.

What's next, Jason LaRue looked at David Ross's side of the dougout too often?

dabvu2498
08-10-2006, 05:12 PM
LaRue was likely in the clubhouse getting treated
From what I saw, that's exactly what it looked like was happening. Or he was in there asleep. ;)

He did look pretty salty though.

bounty37h
08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
larue is the better defensive catcher out of all 3...its not his fault that narron can't see that and do a tandum of larue and ross.

valentin is just there cause he's a switch hitter, or atleast thats what his baseball card says.

we could have got atleast a decent MR in the offseason if we would have traded javy because he had nothing more than a career year and i called it from the start.

If Larue is our best catcher, no wonder our pitching has had so many problems over the years!!!!! Get rid of him, in any way you can, dump him, dump his salary!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Like I emailed that [Name I won't use since this is a family board] Jeff Piecoro on homer this morning, the Reds are something like 10 games over .500 with LaRue behind the plate and something like 6 under with Ross as the starter. Many people say the only stat that matters is wins, well there you go. Who cares if he's nice, who cares if he likes Ross, who cares if my wife likes him, who cares about anything, the Reds win when he's behind the plate this season.

REDREAD
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM

Yeah, the word "cancer" is thrown around here pretty loosely. If EdE is still here in 5 years, I bet he'll be labeled as a cancer too.

Oh well, I guess it's ammo for the Larue haters when he gets traded.. :lol: I can hear it now: "Good ridance to him, the guy didn't even smile when Ross hit that HR". :lol:

Shaggy Sanchez
08-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Like I emailed that [Name I won't use since this is a family board] Jeff Piecoro on homer this morning, the Reds are something like 10 games over .500 with LaRue behind the plate and something like 6 under with Ross as the starter. Many people say the only stat that matters is wins, well there you go. Who cares if he's nice, who cares if he likes Ross, who cares if my wife likes him, who cares about anything, the Reds win when he's behind the plate this season.

I could not have said it better myself and I totally agree about Piecoro he is useless. I think it will be interesting around here if they do get rid of LaRue. I just can't imagine all of the "I can't believe we let LaRue go for nothing" threads after Ross comes back to earth and shows why he was never an everyday catcher. As much as people want them to be, Ross and Valentine are not the answers at catcher for this team. I also don't understand the dire need to ship LaRue out of town, he is way down the list of things this team needs to be worried about if they want to make the playoffs.

westofyou
09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
So.... any soap opera takes on this subject tonight?

RedsFan74
09-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Add another chapter to the soap opera...LaRue declined a post-game interview w/ Jim Day and FSN.

Redhook
09-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Add another chapter to the soap opera...LaRue declined a post-game interview w/ Jim Day and FSN.

Nice.

LaRue didn't seem to get any satisfaction after hitting that home run. That's too bad because it was one of the biggest hits of the season for the Reds. Huge win! I wish he could let go of the grudge he has against Ross because the team needs all the help they can get to have any shot at the playoffs.

Proof: tonight.

mth123
09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Lets not read too much into it. Next thing you know, we'll be talking about his golf clubs.

westofyou
09-13-2006, 12:08 AM
"Seems" never equals "proof"

goreds2
09-13-2006, 12:15 AM
It has been a fraustrating year for Mr. LaRue. I could not imagine having KNEE surgery then have to squat to catch!!

Nice job tonight Jason.

("A country boy can survive")

Marty B. made the correct call. The pitch before the homerun he said, "LaRue can take you deep on a mistake pitch."

CrackerJack
09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
He certainly wanted no part of that "hop" celebration after the game.

TeamBoone
09-13-2006, 12:34 AM
This is his second walk-off HR this season. I knew he could do it!

Blitz Dorsey
09-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Wow, I can honestly say that was the first (and probably only) time I've ever seen a player POUT after hitting a walk-off HR. LaRue looked like someone just shot his dog. He was purposely trying to act like he didn't care to "show all of us." What?

But who cares because that was a HUGE win and keeps us right in the thick of things. We need a sweep here to really get some momentum and prove we are back in it.

TeamBoone
09-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Wow, I can honestly say that was the first (and probably only) time I've ever seen a player POUT after hitting a walk-off HR. LaRue looked like someone just shot his dog. He was purposely trying to act like he didn't care to "show all of us." What?

But who cares because that was a HUGE win and keeps us right in the thick of things. We need a sweep here to really get some momentum and prove we are back in it.

IMHO, you're blowing it out of proportion.

TeamBoone
09-13-2006, 12:50 AM

How could you tell? He was buried in there.

mbgrayson
09-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Yes, but...he did do a brief 'star of the game' segment with Steve Stewart.

Highlifeman21
09-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Once Krivsky trades LaRue in the offseason, we won't have this soap opera to deal with on a daily basis.

2007 - The year of 2 catchers

get your bumper stickers ready

Blitz Dorsey
09-13-2006, 01:29 AM
IMHO, you're blowing it out of proportion.

I can see how you might draw that conclusion, but did you actually watch the "celebration" and post-celebration? Appeared pretty obvious to me. I am no LaRue hater, but he was blatently trying to prove a point. Then again, maybe I had too many Hudy Delights during the game.

He's Dunn It
09-13-2006, 01:36 AM
What I loved the most in this was Freel jabbing his elbow in LaRue's back about four times after the hop at the plate. 3rd String Jay didn't even react. Watch for this in the replay

This is the time that a clubhouse in the 70s or 80s would have fined Grouchy Grunge in kangaroo court and rubbed some Icy Hot in his jock. Could you imagine what a Pete Rose would have done to a guy like this...even on a team with the egos of the BRM?

LaRue has got to go over the off season...even if we have to eat almost all that contract for '07...or flip Ross on the buy low/sell high principle.

Let's win a couple more here...be a game back in the loss column for the Wildcard... And who knows...

Excited about Reds baseball in mid-September...it's been a while.

By the way...great move to get Milton out after five innings...but Franklin, not so much.

Go Reds!

Matt

jimbo
09-13-2006, 01:39 AM
By the way...great move to get Milton out after five innings...

Narron had no choice because Milton was experiencing stiffness in his elbow.

reds44
09-13-2006, 01:43 AM
He keeps hitting walk off homers, he can be pissed as much as he wants.

TeamBoone
09-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I can see how you might draw that conclusion, but did you actually watch the "celebration" and post-celebration? Appeared pretty obvious to me. I am no LaRue hater, but he was blatently trying to prove a point. Then again, maybe I had too many Hudy Delights during the game.

Yes.

reds44
09-13-2006, 01:55 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060913/capt.104044e8342b45f3bb1e405dee5f7bb3.padres_reds_ baseball_csb108.jpg

He seems thrilled to me.
:lol:

Homer Bailey
09-13-2006, 02:27 AM
This is his second walk-off HR this season. I knew he could do it!

I'm sorry.... when was Larue's other walk-off homer this year?

redsmetz
09-13-2006, 06:41 AM

I noticed watching clip on the news last night (and just looked again on reds.com), that Ryan Freel was beating the daylights out of LaRue's back with his elbow. It was bizarre and I thought "what the heck was that?" when I saw it.

Regarding his attitude, again watching the clip, if I had to guess, I'd say it was something akin to "see, I can still hit the ball", but I'm not sure if it was more an "in your face" thing or even just a personal sadness/frustration at his season, which has been as woeful as any player has had. Where's Dr. Phil when you need him???

Ron Madden
09-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Yes, but...he did do a brief 'star of the game' segment with Steve Stewart.

Steve did apologise for the short interview. The batteries in his tape recorder died. he called it pilot error.

One hell of a witch hunt going on here.

Ltlabner
09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
He was purposely trying to act like he didn't care to "show all of us."

Wow...you can tell this from some facial expressions made on TV while he was in the midst of being mobed by his teamates? And this was definative proof?

Did you train with Madame Cleo?

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2006, 09:05 AM
His expression was as if he had been doing it all year. I'm a little surprised that an emotional player like Larue wasn't a little more excited about a big hit in a tight race, but that is just my take. Larue is a frustrated player right now, and I can understand and appreciate that, but I hope he is putting it aside right now and being a team player. That was a real big hit for Jason and the Reds last night, and something that should give the team a lift. Any player can step up and be "big" right now. If someone gets hot, Narron should ride it. This is a big chance for Larue to put some luster on what has been a really poor season for him, individually. If he comes up big in the next couple of weeks, it will definitely enhance his value and will surely be a feather in his cap.

Thanks for a big hit, Jason, from someone who has been very critical of your game. Step up and be big for the remainder of the season!

acredsfan
09-13-2006, 09:15 AM
I noticed watching clip on the news last night (and just looked again on reds.com), that Ryan Freel was beating the daylights out of LaRue's back with his elbow. It was bizarre and I thought "what the heck was that?" when I saw it.I'd always heard that it was torture to be at the bottom of those celebrations, but never really believed it until last night. It was funny that after Freel did that he went over and congratulated LaRue at least twice more and so did Aurilia. By the way, what was with his little leg shake while he was waiting at home? Also, after he hit that home run the other night, what was with the "fruity" high fives in the dugout? anybody see that one?

On another note, it's sad that no matter what Jason does people just want to read into it and try to get more out of it than there really is. I don't ever remember LaRue showing too much emotion after a game, thats the type of player he is. I may be wrong, but I think the ones who are saying LaRue will be traded will be disappointed when Wayne trades away Ross. Wayne hasn't worried about making the popular trades, so I'd say he'll go for the trade that makes the most baseball sense and business sense, he'll trade away the player who gets the highest return.

RedsManRick
09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
No offense to the women in the crowd, but sometimes this board is just like a bunch of girls... "He took a breath, and then he blinked.... he must think I'm fat..." If there's a baseball version of it, this is it.

redsmetz
09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
On another note, it's sad that no matter what Jason does people just want to read into it and try to get more out of it than there really is. I don't ever remember LaRue showing too much emotion after a game, thats the type of player he is. I may be wrong, but I think the ones who are saying LaRue will be traded will be disappointed when Wayne trades away Ross. Wayne hasn't worried about making the popular trades, so I'd say he'll go for the trade that makes the most baseball sense and business sense, he'll trade away the player who gets the highest return.

I'm not a big Jason LaRue fan, but you always hate to see any player struggle with a season like this. That said, I didn't see what others have suggested. I thought he seemed "intent". This 3 catcher situation has been an abberation that will not be seen much here or elsewhere.

I think you're right about what Kriv will do and I haven't stated that in the way you very clearly did. If trading Ross gets a better return, then it will be Ross, and so be it. I trust this management's instincts.

ED44
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't be against selling Ross at a high versus LaRue at a low. LaRue is a better defefnsive catcher in my book, and I am not totally convinced that Ross can duplicate another season like this anyway. I think you see what you can get out of both and take the better deal.

dabvu2498
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I think you see what you can get out of both and take the better deal.

It's really the only logical solution. I sure would like to be rid of that albatross of a contract though.

ED44
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
It's really the only logical solution. I sure would like to be rid of that albatross of a contract though.

I would love to unload of the contract as well, but the Reds would have to eat most of it, in my opinion. Hopefully, last night will get Jason back on track...that way, if he is the one to go, teams may be willing to take on more of his contract.

Unassisted
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
The "hop" celebration was one of the shortest I've ever seen from this team. I never saw a smile from LaRue. I guess a grumpy reaction to a longball is preferable to an ambivalent reaction to a strikeout.

Always Red
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I saw it as a look of steely-eyed determination.

No one is more fed up with LaRue's year than Jason LaRue.

Everyone loved him last year; everyone hates him this year. What have you done for me lately!

LaRue will be back to being what he is next year; an above average receiver with a great arm who hits about .250.

Someone's going to want him; I'd hate the thought of the Reds paying for him to play for someone else.

Blimpie
09-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Regarding his attitude, again watching the clip, if I had to guess, I'd say it was something akin to "see, I can still hit the ball", but I'm not sure if it was more an "in your face" thing or even just a personal sadness/frustration at his season, which has been as woeful as any player has had. Where's Dr. Phil when you need him???I would agree if I hadn't seen the swing he put on the ball on the pitch prior to hitting the dinger. That first hack was ugly with a capital "Ugh"....

redsmetz
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I would agree if I hadn't seen the swing he put on the ball on the pitch prior to hitting the dinger. That first hack was ugly with a capital "Ugh"....

I don't have cable, so I didn't see the pitch before it. That does put a slightly different spin on it. More like a "happy to get out alive, I smacked the dickens out of that pitch" look.

OldXOhio
09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Did the BRM members get critiqued like this on the level of excitement they showed during walk off celebrations?

Unassisted
09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Did the BRM members get critiqued like this on the level of excitement they showed during walk off celebrations?

I know message boards like this are designed to let participants discuss every facet of the team and the game they play, but this thread is ridiculous to me. We're now willing to evaluate Larue's level of enthusiasm shown in doing the hop? Big, big stuff there.If you want to use 70s analogies, it's like being a Kremlinologist in the 70s. (The first vice premier coughed during Brezhnev's speech, does that mean he has pneumonia or that he objected to something Brezhnev said?)

None of us are actually privy to what goes on in the clubhouse, so we have to read between the lines of what goes on in front of the camera. Any normal person would be unhappy to be in Jason's role after so many years as a starter. His lack of public comment makes us wonder, so we look to his on-field reactions to validate our assumptions.

Joseph
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
If you want to use 70s analogies, it's like being a Kremlinologist in the 70s. (The first vice premier coughed during Brezhnev's speech, does that mean he has pneumonia or that he objected to something Brezhnev said?)

None of us are actually privy to what goes on in the clubhouse, so we have to read between the lines of what goes on in front of the camera. Any normal person would be unhappy to be in Jason's role after so many years as a starter. His lack of public comment makes us wonder, so we look to his on-field reactions to validate our assumptions.

How do they validate your assumptions? Only in your mind pal. You're still making assumptions on what his reactions mean. You don't know LaRue and neither do I, maybe he was embarassed to be the center of attention with the season he's having. Maybe his dog died before the game, or his truck broke down. We don't know, and to claim we do is foolish.

Nothing was validated by his actions except a Reds win.

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM

That era of Reds baseball didn't see the "in your face" celebrations that we see in today's game. It adhered to the "Lombardiesque" principal of "This is the Green Bay Packers, act like you've been there before." Had they celebrated the way today's players celebrate, they would have been taking one in the ear the next at bat or next day. Those Reds exuded a quiet, arrogant confidence that let everyone know exactly who they were and where they were going.

NJReds
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
I was watching the game and was a bit surprised at LaRue's reaction, or lack thereof. But he's had a tough year and was demoted to third string.

The most important thing was that he had a great AB and won the game. I don't really care how he celebrates.

minus5
09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I am not going to read anything into anything but did you notice Dunn kick him? I thought it was all funny. You know you're going to get the hell beat out of you after a walk off.

OldXOhio
09-13-2006, 11:10 AM
That era of Reds baseball didn't see the "in your face" celebrations that we see in today's game. It adhered to the "Lombardiesque" principal of "This is the Green Bay Packers, act like you've been there before." Had they celebrated the way today's players celebrate, they would have been taking one in the ear the next at bat or next day. Those Reds exuded a quiet, arrogant confidence that let everyone know exactly who they were and where they were going.

Yep and I wasn't questioning why there wasn't something like a hop performed at home plate by the BRM back in the day. The point was no one seemed to give a dern if Rose wasn't on the top step to congratulate Bench after a game changing home run, nor did anyone seem to notice if Joe Morgan wasn't his old affable self on any given night during the Star of the Game segment. I understand it's a different era now, but questioning Jason Larue's heart based upon his perceived actions just seems like a huge reach to me.

Joseph
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Yep and I wasn't questioning why there wasn't something like a hop performed at home plate by the BRM back in the day. The point was no one seemed to give a dern if Rose wasn't on the top step to congratulate Bench after a game changing home run, nor did anyone seem to notice if Joe Morgan wasn't his old affable self on any given night during the Star of the Game segment. I understand it's a different era now, but questioning Jason Larue's heart based upon his perceived actions just seems like a huge reach to me.

The hop was 'invented' by the '99 Reds, if you believe Aaron Boone's recent interview on FSN.

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Let me let you in on something. His heart has been disgruntled for most of the season. To his credit, he hasn't aired his laundry publicly and made a spectacle of himself, but he is not the "team guy" that he has been in the past. His body language, both on the field and in the dugout have been telling. He is not a happy camper.

As far as Bench, Rose and the Big Red Machine. A few of those guys really didn't like each other, but there was never any sign of that on the field or in the dugout, ever. They put aside the personal issues, left it in the clubhouse, and when it came time to play, they were a team. Rose usually was at the top step congratulating Bench, but there certainly was not a lot of love there. They enjoyed winning more than the pettiness. They were professionals in just about every way.

westofyou
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
The point was no one seemed to give a dern if Rose wasn't on the top step to congratulate Bench after a game changing home run, nor did anyone seem to notice

Well they didn't get along, so I bet they might show massive love in that situation, but winning was all that mattered

However Bench was lambasted by fans in 1971 as being "Big Headed" and too into his media related activities outside of the game, he had a TV show etc...

Guess they were wrong after all..... imagine that?

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Well they didn't get along, so I bet they might show massive love in that situation, but winning was all that mattered

However Bench was lambasted by fans in 1971 as being "Big Headed"

7"5/8 I believe.:evil:

westofyou
09-13-2006, 11:59 AM
7"5/8 I believe.:evil:

Kevin Mench has the largest hat size in MLB today.

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but it works here.

markymark69
09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Let me let you in on something. His heart has been disgruntled for most of the season. To his credit, he hasn't aired his laundry publicly and made a spectacle of himself, but he is not the "team guy" that he has been in the past. His body language, both on the field and in the dugout have been telling. He is not a happy camper.

Couldn't agree with you more. With his struggles and the fact that he has lost his starting job, there is no question that he wants to get this season over as quickly as possible.

RedEye
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Anyone know what the Reds' record is after walk-off home runs this year? Don't they usually, like, lose five in a row after something like this? Just sayin'... I hope I'm wrong.

shredda2000
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I am not going to read anything into anything but did you notice Dunn kick him? I thought it was all funny. You know you're going to get the hell beat out of you after a walk off.

I noticed while watching BBTN Highlights...I thought it was kinda "odd". For anyone who missed, the highlight is on www.Reds.com

Razor Shines
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone know what the Reds' record is after walk-off home runs this year? Don't they usually, like, lose five in a row after something like this? Just sayin'... I hope I'm wrong.

Now you're on to something. I can't believe I didn't see it before now, it's all part of Larue's master plan to keep us out of the playoffs. He knows how bad the Reds have been after walk off home runs, so instead of striking out on purpose, like he usually does, he realized he could do more damage with a walk off home run. Oh that Jason, he's so evil, almost got it passed us but you'll have to get up earlier in the morning than that to fool me. He must have laughed an evil laugh all the way home

durl
09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I've never been a huge Larue fan but I always want to see him do well. I'm glad he cranked that one out last night.

Larue is a good player, but I question if he's worth $5 million. He's a good defensive catcher if you talk only about his ability to throw runners out. He is EXCELLENT at that. However, didn't he lead the league in passed balls a year or two ago? He's not the best at getting in front of the ball and knocking it down. His hitting is VERY streaky, also.

He didn't get much of a shot because of his injury, which is sad, but let's remember that this is baseball. If the roles were reversed and Ross was the original starter, Larue would have no problem taking over the starting role if he was the hot hitter.

goreds2
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Here is the homerun call:

http://www.700wlw.com/timages/page/media/Reds912_Bot_11_LaRue_GWHR_1.wav

Chip R
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I've never been a huge Larue fan but I always want to see him do well. I'm glad he cranked that one out last night.

Larue is a good player, but I question if he's worth $5 million. He's a good defensive catcher if you talk only about his ability to throw runners out. He is EXCELLENT at that. However, didn't he lead the league in passed balls a year or two ago? He's not the best at getting in front of the ball and knocking it down. His hitting is VERY streaky, also.

He didn't get much of a shot because of his injury, which is sad, but let's remember that this is baseball. If the roles were reversed and Ross was the original starter, Larue would have no problem taking over the starting role if he was the hot hitter.

It might have been 3-4 years ago he led the league in passed balls and that was mainly due to the Reds having knuckleballer Jared Fernandez pitching.

OldXOhio
09-13-2006, 02:38 PM

Why does this put JL in such a bad light? The guy's been the regular catcher here for a number of years and due to an injury, he's been in a hole since opening day. I understand he's struggled mightily at the plate, but that's been magnified to a degree by his lack of consistent playing time. Is he supposed to be okay with all of this? Personally, I think the concept of the "team guy" is coined rather unrealistically at times. I don't expect an athlete to be happy about his sudden back up status, no matter how much he's struggling. That sort of mentality is reserved for the guy at the end of the bench just happy to get in the game in the first place.

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I think it has gotten inside his head to the extent that it has affected his ability to be a baseball player that can consistently help the Cincinnati Reds. This is a competitive business. There are always guys that are trying to take your job.

JEA
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I think it's somewhat naive to think that LaRue doesn't have a small chip on his shoulder about how this year has panned out. Granted, the guy's a professional, but I don't know how anyone with a grain of competitiveness, confidence or pride wouldn't be somewhat disgruntled considering all of the following:

- LaRue has more seniority with the club than anyone else. He was drafted by the Reds and never played for any other team. He's a product of the system, and he's paid his dues. Yet, in his eyes, he probably feels like he's being bounced around like a young guy still trying to prove himself.

- LaRue's a catcher, and catchers have to mesh well with so many people, including all the pitchers and the coaching staff, to do their jobs well. Considering his job duties and years of service, I think you could make the case that his name should have at least be mentioned as a possible team captain prior to this season or last. I don't necessarily agree that he should be (and who knows if he even cares about that), but no one even seemed to consider him as a candidate.

- Other than the 1999 season (and perhaps 2000), LaRue has had to endure miserable season after miserable season. Just when it looks like the team's going to turn the corner, he loses his starting job.

- He signed a multi-year contract that he assumed meant he was going to be a starter. As he said earlier this year, he didn't know that he had to prove himself any further. Even if the club didn't literally say he was going to be the starter, a $5-million-per-year contract would have to make you think your job's pretty safe. Who gets paid that kind of money to sit on the bench? And if he knew he was going to be benched, I'm sure he would have liked to know what his options where elsewhere.

- You already have two catchers on the team. You're coming off what is arguably your best season in the majors and assumed to be the starter. And then a new GM comes in and signs a third catcher. How's that for your confidence? You're the most seasoned Reds player, but a rookie GM has relegated you to the bench after just a month or two. Again, how would that make you feel?

- LaRue isn't even getting that many key pinch at-bats. Yesterday was more of a result of Narron going through so many other guys before LaRue was all that was really left. With three catchers, you can use one of them as a first-choice pinch hitter. Unfortunately for LaRue, switch-hitter Valentin has pretty much gotten this role.

- You're slumping, but you can't break out of a slump unless you play more. Yet, it's hard to get more playing time when you're slumping. He's stuck, and he's stuck bad. He's proven himself in the past to be a capable starting catcher - among the better half of all MLB catchers - yet he's been demoted based on a couple months of play.

Again, I don't know if LaRue is thinking this way, but it's possible those thoughts have crossed his mind. That's a lot of baggage to shrug off, and if I were in his shoes, I'd be an even worse sport about it. Yeah, LaRue has said a few comments to the beat writers and expressed his displeasure a few times, but he's far from a distraction (Jose Guillen, anyone?). All things considered, I think he's handled himself pretty well.

If he can vent some frustration simply and silently by shrugging off a post-game celebration, so be it. If it helps him cope with the situation, then I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't mean he's not going to be there for the team when they need him most. And based on this comment he made last night to the Columbus Dispatch, at least he's got his priorities straight:

"Itís great to see (LaRue) do that," Narron said. "Itís been a tough year for him, from getting injured there at the end of spring training. Heís definitely wanted to play more than he has. Iím definitely happy for him to get the walk-off."

LaRue didnít celebrate. He noted the next 18 games are as important as last night.

"This series doesnít mean anything if (we) go out and win this series and the rest of the year we (bleep) all over ourselves," he said.

rdsfn
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
In addition to Dunn Kicking LaRue, Freel also elbows him in the back like 3 times too. I watched it over and over. I wonder if they were just kidding or if they really hate the guy?!

Blimpie
09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't have cable, so I didn't see the pitch before it. That does put a slightly different spin on it. More like a "happy to get out alive, I smacked the dickens out of that pitch" look.He only saw one pitch before the homer. He apparently was guessing on the first pitch because he ended up just flailing at it. I remember thinking: "Well, here comes out # 2..."

...and then he yokes the second pitch over the fence. Shows what I know.

TeamBoone
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
In addition to Dunn Kicking LaRue, Freel also elbows him in the back like 3 times too. I watched it over and over. I wonder if they were just kidding or if they really hate the guy?!

Adam and Jason have known each other all of Adam's life, so I doubt that's the case. Plus they were laughing (not LaRue).

I don't know what prompted that... boys being boys? too much adrenalin? too much testosterone?

vaticanplum
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Here is the homerun call:

http://www.700wlw.com/timages/page/media/Reds912_Bot_11_LaRue_GWHR_1.wav

Thanks for that, it is great and happy.

I worry that this moment and this win is being buried in all this silliness. To me this was one of the more exhilarating wins of the year.

RBA
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I heard Larue get's picked on by other Reds players on the team bus. They rag on him like he was MAJ Burns of M*A*S*H*. They make him the center of pratical jokes. And it gets real crazy when Narron leaves Larue in charge when he's away. I also heard him and "Hot Lips" Hatterberg maybe more than just team mates. Hilarity ensues when Edwin Encarncion sprays Larue with spitballs on the team plane. But Larue thinks it's Adam Dunn because he doesn't believe Edwin is that accurate.

terminator
09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Very nice post, JEA. I agree entirely. He hasn't made himself a distraction.

It seems like he's pretty much a victim of unfortunate timing with the knee surgery. If he had been healthy I wonder if Wayne would have still picked up Ross.

Personally, I'm a LaRue fan and hope he's one of our two catchers we keep around next year. This year was just a fluke of timing for him. I think he's still got some good years left in him.

Reds1
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Keep in mind Ross is a little dinged up now. I mean a heal insury for a catcher is not good. I did notice his reaction. I like guys that do that, but it was a little strange after taking a beating not to even crack a smile and no post game interview. I did see his comments after the game and they were all positive and he knows it's a big win. Ross might be traded selling high next season. Hey, I'm all for it for the right pitcher. I'm not sure I think Ross is going to continue this. He's slowed down a bit of late.

Ltlabner
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
The amount of rampant speculation over what Jason may or may not have been thinking based on his facial expressions is stunning.

Truely "redszone-y" .

Ron Madden
09-14-2006, 04:32 AM
In todays sports world we see far too many professional players dedicated to self promotion. ( I don't think the Reds have any)

Every showboating hot dog has teammates like Jason LaRue, silently going about their bussiness and working hard with one goal in mind... To do their job, do it right and get it done.

I respect that.

TeamBoone
09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
The hop was 'invented' by the '99 Reds, if you believe Aaron Boone's recent interview on FSN.

IIRC, this is true... at least they were credited with it at the time. It was not called the "hop", however; it was known as the "bounce".

Blitz Dorsey
09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
No question about it... the '99 Reds invented the Bounce. Soon after, pretty much every team was doing it, but you never heard the Reds get credit for it.

The Bounce would get under managers' skin. Dusty Baker once griped: "The Reds players don't act like they've been there before... doing their little Tigger Bounce."