PDA

View Full Version : Show your appreciation to David Ross thread

keeganbrick
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
My hat goes off to David Ross as well as the whole Reds team. I cannot begin to express how happy I am right now. David Ross is a godly catcher and absolutely HAMMERED that ball. I live and die with this team every year and its amazing when they are in this thing to win it in August. This team has plenty of heart and I hope it carries us a long way.

PS - Clayton, I know I'm hard on ya at times. But I still love ya.

:beerme:

fisch11
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
To him.....and Wayne for bringing him here!

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
This series has been amazing so far. To get ripped the first game, then come right back the next game and do it to the other team. Then tonight they got down fast and just kept fighting back until the end. It really shows what this team is all about, and that's doing everything they can to get that W and you have to love that as a fan.

P.S. Thank you, Mr.Ross!

bomarl1969
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
:beerme: David Ross this Buds for you!!!

MaineRed
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
:thumbup:

David Ross

redsfan4445
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
no more starts by LaRue.. i want ROSS everyday!!

RedRoser
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Ross, you rock dude!!! :cool:

---'Roser :D

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
:larue: < nope, i don't wanna)

VR
08-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know what he did in the offseason, cause he looks like a bona fide power hitter at all times. Great plate presence, freaky short swing and quick bat. Both he and Phillips have ridiculous pop when the get the bat on the ball. And both have improved dramatically over their career norms for getting the bat on the ball.
That shot today may have been 450. To dead center. Off some Jason Isringhausen cheese....on a nice, smooth, calm swing.

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Chambliss?

keeganbrick
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Chambliss?
Plays a huge part for this offense.

RBA
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Where's the love for Rich!?!

Let's be fair here.

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Rich, that was one scrappy 4 pitch walk

:larue: still doesn't like you though because you made Ross look good

Mario-Rijo
08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Where's the love for Rich!?!

Let's be fair here.

I do gotta give it up to Rich, especially that fake bunt attempt just before Izzy released what turned out to be ball 3. That pitch really took Izzy out of his comfort zone it seemed too me. Ross has really blossomed offensively this year and what a great time to do it. My Hat is off to ya David Ross!! :thumbup:

penantboundreds
08-09-2006, 11:27 PM
:beerme: :beerme:

NavyRedsFan
08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
This was a great way to end a bad day. I'm in Key West in the Navy and my wife and kids live in Mississippi. Today is our 9th wedding anniversary and we couldn't be together for it. Missed 7 of the 9 anniversaries so far but I'll be retired for #10 and we plan to spend it in style. But back to today, bad day at work, nothing went right. Lost our softball game tonight, I was the starting pitcher and my record is 1-3 now. I was on the phone with my lovely wife talking about everything that went wrong today when Marty made the second best call of the year. Dunn walk-off grand slam was the best. Great way to end the day.

huber14
08-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Cheers to Ross :beerme:

oh and lets not forget Rich Aurilia for drawing the key walk. :beerme:

Chainer
08-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Just got back from the game....and it was ELECTRIC at the stadium. I get to the game, hoping to get $5 stading room only seats and get a bobble head.

HOWEVER, I did pay $30, had a nice seat, got 3 - $1 hotdogs and large soda....and it lasted me the whole game! PLUS, they handed out vouchers for bobbleheads to those whom didn't get one!

I was heavily impressed! It was one of the best Reds experiences I have ever had in my life!

KronoRed
08-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Go former Gator :D

Razor Shines
08-10-2006, 12:28 AM
#1 TP on Sports Center. He could have been called out though for taking his helmet off before touching home plate.

NavyRedsFan
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
#1 TP on Sports Center. He could have been called out though for taking his helmet off before touching home plate.
This is the second night in a row. What a great time to be a REDS fan. And I get to watch them here in Florida on TV for the series finale.

Redus
08-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Dear David Ross,
I LOVE YOU MAN!!
Sincerely, Redus

TexasRed
08-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me what the general consensus is on David Ross' Defense? He sure seems to call a good game, but how does he compare to some of the other catchers around the league in throwing out runners, etc.?

OH, and He rocks............. I so wish I could have been at this game but I'm stuck deep in the heart of Texas.

NavyRedsFan
08-10-2006, 01:16 AM
This is the second night in a row. What a great time to be a REDS fan. And I get to watch them here in Florida on TV for the series finale.
EE also had the top web gem. Second night in a row that this belonged to the REDS!!

OUReds
08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Can anyone tell me what the general consensus is on David Ross' Defense? He sure seems to call a good game, but how does he compare to some of the other catchers around the league in throwing out runners, etc.?

OH, and He rocks............. I so wish I could have been at this game but I'm stuck deep in the heart of Texas.

Kind of a tough question since different people value different skill sets in catchers.

Larue certainly has a cannon for an arm, with a career .397 caught stealing percetage compared to .368 for Ross. The major league average for CS hovers around 29% so Ross is above average, it's just that Larue is very good.

Ross seems to be better at blocking balls in the dirt, which in the past was a major Larue bugaboo. Careerwise, Ross lets through about .8 passed balls per game compared to .11 for Larue. Fielding percentage for both is .990, so no advantages there.

To me though, Ross seems to be much better at the catching intangibles. I have long thought that Larue's major weakness was his inability to frame pitches and otherwise present a good target. In my own humble opinion Ross is much, much better at this. On the other hand, Ross seems to have trouble controlling putouts at the plate due to dropped balls on even above average relays.

I like Ross better, but mostly because of the intangibles of being a better "target", and that's obviously very subjective. The difference defensively between the two probably isn't very much either way.

realistic
08-10-2006, 02:21 AM
A big hearty slap on the rear for David Ross!

Sometimes you want to win a game and sometimes you REALLY WANT to win a game. Fun to win a game like this with a walkoff...thinking ill have to make that 5 hr drive to Cincy soon for a game

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-10-2006, 02:36 AM

Boy, if that's true, Big Papi has cost the Red Sox four or five games this year. :D

UKAlum97
08-10-2006, 06:10 AM
David Ross,

You caused me to scare the %#^()#$) out of my 2 year-old when you hit your home run tonight, which in turned infuriated my wife. Oh well, they'll both get over it. You Da' Man!

StillFunkyB
08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
I do gotta give it up to Rich, especially that fake bunt attempt just before Izzy released what turned out to be ball 3. That pitch really took Izzy out of his comfort zone it seemed too me.

Veteran scrappiness at work! ;)

RedFanAlways1966
08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
David Ross... I salute you! David Ross... you rocked last night!

Never say die. I love it! :beerme:

Chainer
08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Boy, if that's true, Big Papi has cost the Red Sox four or five games this year. :D

If you hit a game winning home run, you don't even have to round the bases. In fact, I believe, on any homerun you don't have to, most just do. It's basically automatic scoring if hit over the fence/wall.

OesterPoster
08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
If you hit a game winning home run, you don't even have to round the bases. In fact, I believe, on any homerun you don't have to, most just do. It's basically automatic scoring if hit over the fence/wall.

That's incorrect. Whoever hit that game ending homer for the Yankees in the playoffs a few years back got mobbed after he touched first and never was awarded home plate.

KalDanielsfan
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
That's incorrect. Whoever hit that game ending homer for the Yankees in the playoffs a few years back got mobbed after he touched first and never was awarded home plate.

Actually it was Robin Ventura's Walk Off Grand Slam for the Mets where he was mobbed after rounding First base..crediting him only with a single during the 2000 playoffs.

KalDanielsfan
08-10-2006, 09:14 AM

actually they allow it now. Ortiz has been quoted as saying the reason why he does it is that it hurts like hell when 20 guys are banging on your head with that batting helmet on. Thats why he takes it off before he gets to the mob.

redsmetz
08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
:jump:

But I think I'll note the irony in the original poster's signature "Narron Stinks" - he was absolutely masterful last night.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM

You're right! I've played in a few leagues where we didn't have to circle the bases after hitting a homerun. Now that I look up the rules, you are right.

RichRed
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I'll admit, I'm as jaded as they come sometimes, but I actually got goose bumps watching Ross come around 3rd with his arms extended while his teammates waited at home plate to mob him.

What a fantastic moment to be a Reds fan!

francohungarian
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20060704&Category=LIFE05&ArtNo=607040301&Ref=AR&Profile=1086&MaxW=315&border=1

:thumbup: :beerme: :thumbup:

Mr. Redlegs
08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I hope no Redszoners were a part of the "everyday player" chant when LaRue was us up to bat Tuesday while I was at the game. David Ross has taken over!

SultanOfSwing
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM

That is only true if the winning runs are on base. IE: Down by 2 runs, grandslam. In Ross' case, he was the winning run, so he has to touch home plate and all the bases or he can be called out (if the defense catches it).

Chainer
08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
That is only true if the winning runs are on base. IE: Down by 2 runs, grandslam. In Ross' case, he was the winning run, so he has to touch home plate and all the bases or he can be called out (if the defense catches it).

I knew it was something along those lines.....because I knew I remembered a couple walk-off home runs where the hitter didn't round all of the bases.

keeganbrick
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
:jump:

But I think I'll note the irony in the original poster's signature "Narron Stinks" - he was absolutely masterful last night.
Royce Clayton cost us 4 runs in the first inning. Narron did a good job with the bullpen last night, yes. I'm not taking it down until Castro gets more playing time.

RedFanAlways1966
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Royce Clayton cost us 4 runs in the first inning.

St. Louis - Top of 1st Score
Aaron Harang pitching for Cincinnati
D Eckstein reached on infield single to shortstop.
C Duncan singled to center, D Eckstein to second.
A Pujols safe at first on error by shortstop R Clayton, D Eckstein to third, C Duncan to second.
S Rolen struck out swinging.
J Edmonds homered to left, D Eckstein, C Duncan and A Pujols scored.

Okay... you say Clayton cost the REDS 4 runs. I'll let you re-read the line up to Edmonds HR and you can explain to all of us how Clayton is responsible for 4 runs. Keep in mind that if he gets an out on the slow roller by Pujols (a nearly impossible DP w/ that grounder) there is still 2-outs and two men on when Edmonds bats.

So easy to just throw 1-liners out there. Not so easy to explain it when asked. I say Royce cost the REDS 1 run. You say 4 runs. I think the line above explains my statement. I'd like to hear more information on how you came up with 4 runs. Perhaps the nice backhanded stop and rushed high throw by Clayton on (fast running) Eckstein's HIT is your reason. If so, I don't buy it.

keeganbrick
08-10-2006, 02:29 PM
St. Louis - Top of 1st Score
Aaron Harang pitching for Cincinnati
D Eckstein reached on infield single to shortstop.
C Duncan singled to center, D Eckstein to second.
A Pujols safe at first on error by shortstop R Clayton, D Eckstein to third, C Duncan to second.
S Rolen struck out swinging.
J Edmonds homered to left, D Eckstein, C Duncan and A Pujols scored.

Okay... you say Clayton cost the REDS 4 runs. I'll let you re-read the line up to Edmonds HR and you can explain to all of us how Clayton is responsible for 4 runs. Keep in mind that if he gets an out on the slow roller by Pujols (a nearly impossible DP w/ that grounder) there is still 2-outs and two men on when Edmonds bats.

So easy to just throw 1-liners out there. Not so easy to explain it when asked. I say Royce cost the REDS 1 run. You say 4 runs. I think the line above explains my statement. I'd like to hear more information on how you came up with 4 runs. Perhaps the nice backhanded stop and rushed high throw by Clayton on (fast running) Eckstein's HIT is your reason. If so, I don't buy it.
Theres your 3 outs. Castro makes both of those plays.

RedFanAlways1966
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Theres your 3 outs. Castro makes both of those plays.

ESP is most commonly called the "sixth sense." It is sensory information that an individual receives which comes beyond the ordinary five senses sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. It can provide the individual with information of the present, past, and future; as it seems to originate in a second, or alternate reality.

I'll make a deal with you... send me a Personal Message with the next PowerBall winning numbers! I won't share it w/ anyone else and when you are proven right... I will admit (in between searching for my new Ferrarri and beach-house) that I am wrong about that 1st inning and you are right.

Deal? :)

keeganbrick
08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
ESP is most commonly called the "sixth sense." It is sensory information that an individual receives which comes beyond the ordinary five senses sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. It can provide the individual with information of the present, past, and future; as it seems to originate in a second, or alternate reality.

I'll make a deal with you... send me a Personal Message with the next PowerBall winning numbers! I won't share it w/ anyone else and when you are proven right... I will admit (in between searching for my new Ferrarri and beach-house) that I am wrong about that 1st inning and you are right.

Deal? :)
I think many will agree with me that Castro makes both those plays.

Ok?:beerme: