PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Mr. Castellini

RFS62
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Thank you for buying the team.

Thank you for caring about winning.

Thank you for understanding the sensibilities of the Cincinnati Reds fanbase.

Thank you for a team that is in contention in August.

I don't care if it's luck, karma, fate, design..... I don't care how it's happening.

I don't care.

I just want to thank you for the way you've conducted yourself since you took over the team.

You deserve that big grin you probably have on your face right now.

I know there's one on mine.

Ltlabner
08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Please, please, please. That post exceeded the "blown sunshine" limit by .38 points! ,)

His move to make sure the house was packed for the serries has to be paying off. While the fans on the 1st night got hosed, the fans for the last 2 nights saw some fantastic baseball. That's 80,000+ plus people. Take away 25,000 x 2 for the "regulars" than normally attend and you have roughly 30,000 people who might start spending their entertainment dollars on the Reds again.

That's key and critical. We can horse around about EE vs RA all day but this is a business. If they can increase the revenues, I have faith that BC will be taking further steps to improve the team.

RBA
08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Watch it, Man Love is illegal in North Carolina and Ohio.

RFS62
08-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I'm telling you. I'm willing to donate FCB's first born to have his babies.

wheels
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
It's just great knowing that the Owner cares about the outcome of the game enough to stay around afterwards, instead of being whisked away to his Bentley as soon as humanly possible.

RedRoser
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
"Watch it, Man Love is illegal in North Carolina and Ohio."---RBA

I got this, '62. I'm in TENNESSEE. ;) :laugh:

---'Roser

paintmered
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Please, please, please. That post exceeded the "blown sunshine" limit by .38 points! ,)

His move to make sure the house was packed for the serries has to be paying off. While the fans on the 1st night got hosed, the fans for the last 2 nights saw some fantastic baseball. That's 80,000+ plus people. Take away 25,000 x 2 for the "regulars" than normally attend and you have roughly 30,000 people who might start spending their entertainment dollars on the Reds again.

That's key and critical. We can horse around about EE vs RA all day but this is a business. If they can increase the revenues, I have faith that BC will be taking further steps to improve the team.

Yep, the last two night helped heal some deep wounds with the "average joe" fan base. Getting 42,000+ in the stands to see that performace is the best advertising this team could possibly get.

VR
08-09-2006, 11:50 PM
http://cropcircleconnector.com/Sorensen/croppies/RichardTipsHat_small.jpg

indeed

:beerme:

TeamBoone
08-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Great post, 62.

Last night, they showed Castellini in the stands. One of the TV crew said it was his dream to play St. Louis in the GAB to a sellout crowd. It hadn't clicked with me before, but that's exactly why he did what he did. And it worked.... sellout last night, sellout tonight (with no cheap seats, just bobbleheads), and tomorrow is a sellout as well.

How many think the crowd really does pump up the team and prompt them to play harder?

Great win Cincinnati! I love each and every one of you (but Adam's still my fave).

redsrule2500
08-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Was this some sort of Haiku or Poetry?

Falls City Beer
08-10-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't care how it's happening.

Two words: hot dogs.

REDREAD
08-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Finally a topic we can all agree on.

Even though we don't agree with every transaction that's been made or every lineup that has been filled in, it's so nice to have an owner that attempted to hire a GM based on competence instead of a binder of cost cutting ideas.

It's nice to have an owner that cares about winning instead of raping the taxpayers while his investment double/triples.

VR
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM

:laugh: :laugh:

For 6 long years they've been trying.....and it was all about the dogs!

Unassisted
08-10-2006, 12:38 AM
I've been on this bandwagon for the entire season and I will stay on it even if the Reds are watching the postseason from their living rooms. Look past the losses and any changes you disagree with and just appreciate the ownership group that the Reds have now. This club finally has a group of folks at the helm who are committed to creating a winning atmosphere and clever enough to pull it off.

RBA
08-10-2006, 12:44 AM

Hey, what's a Hot Dog at regualar price?

$5.50? I would probably buy just 1 at that price, if any.
Assuming a bun and hot dog is 50 cents.

Profit for Reds $5.00

If it's $1.00, I would probably buy $10. Profit for Reds.......$5.00

And I'll need plenty of sodas to wash them down with. MORE $$$$$$$$.

Maybe the Reds should sell Pepto Bismo at the Concessions. MORE $$$$$$$$$

oregonred
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
"them dogs are good"

redsmetz
08-10-2006, 07:00 AM
After the big loss on Monday, I found this poem. After you post, I went back and looked at it again and it seems even more appropriate for today's game.

The Cure

Written by Katharine Harer in 2002

Published: Line Drives (2002)

baseball is a good antidote for death
where else do we mutter belief scream
hope over green grass bathed
in light where else do we coach the best
out of one another

it's all right baby
you can do it
settle down guy
you'll be okay just hang in there
we need you buddy
we need a spark
be the ignitor man

our whispered pleas combine over rows
of seats and peanut calls and pour into the ears
of our boys fixing them
with our best hope the best we have to give

nowhere else do we do this together
reverently from some untapped place
in our chests saved for our children
and our lovers we thought we'd used it up
but listen to us croon making our voices
carry just the right mixture
of love and demand

our throats are sore
the peanut shells under our feet flattened
from jumping up and sinking down again
our hearts extended
pumping belief
into this one afternoon

you can do it
you can do it for us
do it now come on
do it now

The Cure by Katharine Harer in 2002

SunDeck
08-10-2006, 08:02 AM

That's the one I'm thankful for. I don't really care if the Reds don't make the playoffs. Sure, it would be great, but I just want a team that is in contention down the stretch. Maybe if this continues my sights will be set a little higher.

RedsBaron
08-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm telling you. I'm willing to donate FCB's first born to have his babies.
Your willingness to sacrifice is noted.;)

StillFunkyB
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM

Thank you for caring about winning.

Thank you for understanding the sensibilities of the Cincinnati Reds fanbase.

I don't care if it's luck, karma, fate, design..... I don't care how it's happening.

I don't care.

I just want to thank you for the way you've conducted yourself since you took over the team.

You deserve that big grin you probably have on your face right now.

I know there's one on mine.

:beerme:

TeamCasey
08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
It's so awesome to have a visible owner who gives a rat's behind. I really think he will renew the relationship between the Red's and Cincinnati.

Yeah, some of the trades have been so-so. These things are timely and all this will take time.

I'm happy we're not hearing ........ "we're rebuilding". We've been hearing that for 10+ years. I mean ..... we are rebuilding, but it doesn't sound like an excuse anymore. Does that make sense other than in my own sleepy head?

I love that we have an owner who appreciates baseball again.

TeamCasey
08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Mr. Castellini, I love what you're doing ....... but about those beer prices...... ;)

Ltlabner
08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm happy we're not hearing ........ "we're rebuilding". We've been hearing that for 10+ years. I mean ..... we are rebuilding, but it doesn't sound like an excuse anymore. Does that make sense other than in my own sleepy head?

Makes total sense to me. Yes we are rebulding but we are doing so in a way that keeps us competitive in the mean time. I too am tired of the "lets take 5 years and build a team" approach.

Chip R
08-10-2006, 10:03 AM

If that were the case, George Grande would be in prison for life.

membengal
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
No doubt Chip. Seriously, it is beyond unseemly at this point. Beyond unprofessional. Beyond comprehension.

And, on the thread topic, yeah, props to Cast for getting people in the ballpark by any means necessary and the rest of it. Love seeing the effort from ownership.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
That's the one I'm thankful for. I don't really care if the Reds don't make the playoffs. Sure, it would be great, but I just want a team that is in contention down the stretch. Maybe if this continues my sights will be set a little higher.

Bingo.

Even if we're not the best team and playing in a weakened NLC, it's all good. Sure beats the Boone and Miley years where by now we were out of it and players were taking the rest of the year off for surgeries and the like because the season was a waste.

Now, if we could just pull this one out today...

Chip R
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
No doubt Chip. Seriously, it is beyond unseemly at this point. Beyond unprofessional. Beyond comprehension.

And, on the thread topic, yeah, props to Cast for getting people in the ballpark by any means necessary and the rest of it. Love seeing the effort from ownership.

Can you imagine GG in prison? "Hi, hello and welcome to the big house. I'm George Grande along with the crafty ax-murderer Bubba."

Paul Dougherty wrote a column last week about this discount being embarrassing for a so called "baseball town". He's right but isn't is better to have a full house with 15,000 seats at half price than to only draw 27,000 at full price?

GAC
08-11-2006, 09:07 PM

Yeah right.... they packed the seats for $1 hotdogs, while those half-priced seats for a series pitting the top two teams in the division (whom we've pretty much owned this year) had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah right.... they packed the seats for $1 hotdogs. :rolleyes:

Joke. Joke. It's a joke!!

Geez.

ochre
08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Joke. Joke. It's a joke!!

Geez.
So, you're saying the Reds are a joke? I knew it! You're not a real fan!

:)

GAC
08-12-2006, 08:09 AM
The real test for Castellini will come this off-season. ;)

Spring~Fields
08-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah right.... they packed the seats for $1 hotdogs, while those half-priced seats for a series pitting the top two teams in the division (whom we've pretty much owned this year) had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that they did not have a Kmart flashing blue light special yet, you just wait the fans will really show up then. :evil:

I like what Castelini says, but I will wait to see what he achieves. I am a little uncomfortable with his direction so far in going with older and cheap backup player castoffs, a cheap unproven manager, cheap bullpen, cost and talent wise, and a cheap cast of players on the bench. Castelini and Krivsky have a lot of work to do.

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I am surprised that they did not have a Kmart flashing blue light special yet, you just wait the fans will really show up then. :evil:

Yea, exposing at least 30,000 more people to the Reds winning some fantastic ball games....what a dope he is. :rolleyes: Packing the house (partly) to help boost the teams morale durring an important series seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially since it generated aditional revenue's that may well have not happened without the promotion. I'm not sure what is "cheep" about it as people are claiming. This is BASEBALL not the symphony or Lincoln Center. Promotions such as this are part and parcel to the territory.

I like what Castelini says, but I will wait to see what he achieves. I am a little uncomfortable with his direction so far in going with older and cheap backup player castoffs, a cheap unproven manager, cheap bullpen, cost and talent wise, and a cheap cast of players on the bench. Castelini and Krivsky have a lot of work to do

It's all in how you spend that money. If he went out and loaded up on expensive FA's and burdened the team with big LT contracts people would flip out. And they are still hampered with the big contracts that eat up a lot of payroll; Milton, Jr, LaRue, etc.

They are plugging in these "castoffs" (as most teams do) in an effort to see if they can add something to the team. Those who don't work out find a way to be gone (see: White, Mays, Yan). I know Clayton is still here, but I don't see him being a long term solution. If they bring him back next year then we have a problem.

Spring~Fields
08-12-2006, 09:53 AM
especially since it generated aditional revenue's that may well have not happened without the promotion.

That's the whole point, bad/inferior product has to be discounted to market it. We shall see in the future if he really does improve the product or just dances around with marketing puffery. Discounting those empty seats to gain some additional revenue though will reflect better on the financials.

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 09:55 AM
That's the whole point, bad/inferior product has to be discounted to market it. We shall see in the future if he really does improve the product or just dances around with marketing puffery. Discounting those empty seats to gain some additional revenue though will reflect better on the financials.

Yep. Horrible teams since the turn of the century and previous owners who did little to nothing to improve the team despite claims they would do differently will do that to a fan base.

The team has been doing well but erratically for less than one year. That's not going to cause people to come streaming back. It's going to take "marketing puffery" to get those fans back in the stadium.

Spring~Fields
08-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Yep. Horrible teams since the turn of the century and previous owners who did little to nothing to improve the team despite claims they would do differently will do that to a fan base.

The team has been doing well but erratically for less than one year. That's not going to cause people to come streaming back. It's going to take "marketing puffery" to get those fans back in the stadium.

It will take good product, it will take personnel that can evaluate talent correctly and be able to apply those resources correctly to spend that money effectively to have something more than common marketing spins. The consumer is not so naive or dumb that they cannot discern wins from losses, and will take their dollar votes elsewhere until the product improves.

Castelini does know that 50% off sales moves produce, even without the blue light. ;)

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 10:49 AM
It will take good product, it will take personnel that can evaluate talent correctly and be able to apply those resources correctly to spend that money effectively to have something more than common marketing spins. The consumer is not so naive or dumb that they cannot discern wins from losses, and will take their dollar votes elsewhere until the product improves.

Castelini does know that 50% off sales moves produce, even without the blue light. ;)

Yep. You are 100% correct about good product building fan base. However, putting a good team together, rebuilding the farm system, rebuilding the scouting program doesn't take place overnight. It takes time to do this. So you get to work on this right away, and I think they have done that.

So in the short run BC is using "marketing puffery" (as if that were somehow a bad thing) to boost revenues and hopefully pursuade more consumers to spend their entertainment dollars on the Reds.

You are right the fans aren't dumb, but they have ALREADY taken their entertianment dollars elsehwere. Hence the sub par attendence even while the team has been hanging in there. BC is taking steps to get those people back in the short term, to help fund the long term changes that will put a good product back on the field.

That's good business.

GAC
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM

And Bob knows his fruit and vegetables. ;)

Spring~Fields
08-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Yep. You are 100% correct about good product building fan base. However, putting a good team together, rebuilding the farm system, rebuilding the scouting program doesn't take place overnight. It takes time to do this. So you get to work on this right away, and I think they have done that.

So in the short run BC is using "marketing puffery" (as if that were somehow a bad thing) to boost revenues and hopefully pursuade more consumers to spend their entertainment dollars on the Reds.

You are right the fans aren't dumb, but they have ALREADY taken their entertianment dollars elsehwere. Hence the sub par attendence even while the team has been hanging in there. BC is taking steps to get those people back in the short term, to help fund the long term changes that will put a good product back on the field.

That's good business.

You are right that he had a good proactive marketing/management plan to reintroduce the Reds fan base or to invite what might be a new generation of potential fans with his discounting of the seats. After thinking about what you had written your points made very good sense, yes, it made good sense for him to offer seats that might otherwise go empty and generate no revenues or concessions when those same seats that they have already expensed through their lease agreement can generate revenues at a discount. Actually it was very creative.

Ltlabner
08-13-2006, 10:13 AM
You are right that he had a good proactive marketing/management plan to reintroduce the Reds fan base or to invite what might be a new generation of potential fans with his discounting of the seats. After thinking about what you had written your points made very good sense, yes, it made good sense for him to offer seats that might otherwise go empty and generate no revenues or concessions when those same seats that they have already expensed through their lease agreement can generate revenues at a discount. Actually it was very creative.

But you are also totally 100% correct in that if they don't put a winning team on the feild in a reasonable period of time then the fan base will not respond. In the long term you gotta have a solid team out there.