PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the 9/11 movie?

Gainesville Red
08-10-2006, 01:03 AM
What did you think?

I'm thinking about going. Hope I don't cry.

beb30
08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I assume you mean Oliver Stones World Trade Center, and no I haven't seen it yet but I plan on doing so this weekend. I've seen Flight 93 (A&E movie) as well as United 93 (theatre) and liked it however I think this one will be alot better.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
From my understanding, it's a very UPLIFTING movie, and isn't about drama and trying to make people feel bad. It is supposed to actually have a good feel to it, and shed a whole new light on the WTC situation.

From the reviews I have seen, it has a very happy ending to it.

registerthis
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I just don't have any desire to relive anything about that day. It might very well be a great movie, but I don't plan to see it.

Benny-Distefano
08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm sure it will be the feel-good event of the summer.

RichRed
08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I just don't have any desire to relive anything about that day. It might very well be a great movie, but I don't plan to see it.

Exactly how I feel.

WMR
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I know that movies get made about current events/tragedies all the time, but something about a movie studio trying to turn a profit from a movie about the WTC attacks feels very wrong to me... I mean, the sensible part of my brain knows that it is okay, and I'm a big 1st amendment guy, but that's still my underlying feeling about this movie.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Still feel like it's too soon to have made something like this.

RedFanAlways1966
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM

I feel the same way.

dabvu2498
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I know that movies get made about current events/tragedies all the time, but something about a movie studio trying to turn a profit from a movie about the WTC attacks feels very wrong to me... I mean, the sensible part of my brain knows that it is okay, and I'm a big 1st amendment guy, but that's still my underlying feeling about this movie.
So Tora! Tora! Tora!, Pearl Harbor, Schindler's List (and every other movie about the Holocaust), etc., etc. should not have been made? Or does it make it more acceptable that significant time has passed since the events these movies have portrayed occurred?

I will go see it, if for no other reason than I actually like most of Oliver Stone's movies (not Alexander though). Also, one of my college roomies is an FDNY and one of my friends was killed while working for Cantor Fitzgerald. Donate to his memorial foundation here: http://www.markhindycf.org/

WMR
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I think the relatively small amount of time plays a role... maybe also how this event is so singularly unique from anything else in American history.

Rojo
08-10-2006, 02:05 PM

Ditto

NatiRedGals
08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
great movie i loved it great way to show the world that people out their still do care about others not just themselve

camisadelgolf
08-13-2006, 08:05 AM
I thought World Trade Center was so-so, but I thought United 93 was one of the best movies I'll ever seen in my life.

FoReel
08-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I saw a preview where they interviewed the director of it. I just thought he was silly, he was saying that if you look at how many people died and that a lone its a tragedy, but if see it as a event to bring people together and find heroes amongst it, its not a tragedy. This may be my personal opinion and don't know how u guys fell but, it's a tragedy no matter what, even if it did show the best in mankind and what humans are capable of.

OldRightHander
08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I saw it yesterday and I had a lot of mixed emotions going on. Initially it brought back a lot of the anger and sadness I felt that day, but the story was really about how selfless the American people can be during times of tragedy. It was about people putting the needs of others ahead of themselves and I was inspired very much by that. I would recommend it.

RedsBaron
08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I won't argue that point, as it is a matter of personal opinion, but I will note that it has been five years since 9/11. Movies about World War II were being made while that war was ongoing, and many of the WWII films concerned battles only recently fought. Of course many, perhaps most, of the films made during the war were simply very patriotic movies designed to rally the nation's spirits, but not all were. For that matter, films about the Vietnam War were being made within five years or so of the end of that war.

Johnny Footstool
08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I think the relatively small amount of time plays a role... maybe also how this event is so singularly unique from anything else in American history.

It's only unique in the fact that 1) it occurred in recent memory, and 2) it was televised live.

Pearl Harbor was a much bigger event.

WMR
08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
The Green Berets was the--I believe--very first movie made about Vietnam, starring as well as directed by the inimitable John Wayne as a fiery Green Beret colonel.

From www.rottentomatoes.com :

One of the first American films specifically about the Vietnam War was also one of the most hawkish, offering a pro-intervention perspective at the height of the conflict. Filmed along the conventions of a World War II action drama, a gung-ho colonel battles the vicious Viet Cong while protecting innocent civilians, befriending an orphaned boy, and reforming a liberal newspaperman's misguided political views.

The movie was released in 1968.

I think the fact that these attacks occurred on American soil make them much more "real" for the average American and perhaps makes the "too soon" appeals more credible despite the 5 year time lapse since the attacks.

WMR
08-13-2006, 07:36 PM
It's only unique in the fact that 1) it occurred in recent memory, and 2) it was televised live.

Pearl Harbor was a much bigger event.

Agreed, no question that Pearl Harbor is, far and away, the far more important and seminal footnote in the annals of American history.

A far-away military base--admittedly still American soil--versus maybe the most iconic symbols of New York City, America, and capitalism.

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Agreed, no question that Pearl Harbor is, far and away, the far more important and seminal footnote in the annals of American history.

A far-away military base--admittedly still American soil--versus maybe the most iconic symbols of New York City, America, and capitalism.

Impact, though.

How many lives were lost worldwide? How did the face of the world change?

When viewed by future historians, 9/11 will be an important date, but not nearly as important as Pearl Harbor.

WMR
08-14-2006, 12:57 AM
No, I apologize if you thought I was trying to draw a favorable comparison between NYC and Pearl Harbor. I fully agree with you.

I'm just saying that it being what I described is what makes it more painful for a lot of people even after 5 years whereas we were churning out Vietnam movies by '68!

beb30
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I saw it this weekend and thought World Trade Center was great and alot better movie than United 93. Just a great, great story.

And for those who say its to early for something like this to come out, get over it, its ridiculous, its been 5 years.....

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
No, I apologize if you thought I was trying to draw a favorable comparison between NYC and Pearl Harbor. I fully agree with you.

I'm just saying that it being what I described is what makes it more painful for a lot of people even after 5 years whereas we were churning out Vietnam movies by '68!

OK, I understand your point, and I agree. I think the nonstop media coverage of the event for months afterward helped burn the painful memories into our brains.

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I agree with the several who said they didn't want to see it because it would make them too angry.

I tried watching a special about "Why the Towers Fell". It dealt with the engineering aspects of what caused the towers to fail. By the end of it I was pacing the floor, hands clenched and heart pounding. This was about 6 months ago or so.

I guess I should "grow up" or move on, but the attacks still drive me to rage so I don't think I would enjoy that movie even if it focuses on the human aspects and trimumph over impossible odds, etc.