PDA

View Full Version : Best Walkoff HR (so far) This Season

reds44
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Vote!

WVRedsFan
08-10-2006, 02:06 AM
The Griffey HR was an event and expected for a HOF'er. And it was what we expect from Griffey. It was the conquering hero returning to form. Dunn's was a close second against a hated rival. Ross' was tremendous, but will be looked at as a rare acheivement--although a good one against another hated rival.

Heck, they were all good, exciting, and wonderful at the same time. Can I vote for all three?

Cedric
08-10-2006, 02:09 AM
I was honestly more shocked the Reds won the Griffey homer game than the Dunn game. They were completely toast in the game and there seemed to be no momentum or buzz.

Add in Bowden cheering and hollering before the homer and it makes it even better.

KronoRed
08-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Dunn, it's hard to top a grand slam when down by 3 with 2 outs

redsmetz
08-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Three tough, tough choices (other didn't count here, to be honest). I finally chose Ross' from last night's game because it may well prove to be critical to our playoff hopes. But the other two were fantastic, no, more than fantastic.

Ltlabner
08-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Ross's homer last night was fantastic but it's hard to top that Dunn granny.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2006, 06:47 AM
You can't top a walk off grand slam! All of them are great!

SunDeck
08-10-2006, 07:00 AM
I think Ross' because it's later in the year, when things are getting tight. Didn't Pokey have one real late in '99.

RedsRock
08-10-2006, 07:02 AM
I think Ross' because it's later in the year, when things are getting tight. Didn't Pokey have one real late in '99.

Absolutely! A Sunday afternoon game against the Cards, where they were down in extra innings, and Pokey hit a 3 run HR to win it. They went on to win the Monday game on a big HR by Taubensee (red seats, wasn't it?). That was the game that propelled them down the stretch in 99.

SunDeck
08-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Absolutely! A Sunday afternoon game against the Cards, where they were down in extra innings, and Pokey hit a 3 run HR to win it. They went on to win the Monday game on a big HR by Taubensee (red seats, wasn't it?). That was the game that propelled them down the stretch in 99.

Thanks Rock...I can still hear Marty's voice crack on Pokey's knock.

creek14
08-10-2006, 07:12 AM
<<< That one.

RedsBaron
08-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Dunn. Nothing tops a grand slam when three runs down.

StillFunkyB
08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Dunn, it's hard to top a grand slam when down by 3 with 2 outs

Yeah, I voted the same.

All great, but all things being equal I had to go with the granny.

RedLegSuperStar
08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Dunn would be my number one. Walk off Grand Slam! after being down what 8-1 going into the 7th and Dunn being the winning run at the plate against your cross state rival? Ross though my be tied with Juniors in my book.. only because it comes when the Reds need all the wins they can get and against the team they need the wins against.

MrCinatit
08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I chose Dunn, but egads, that is a tough call.
Of course, I do hope there will be another, later in the year, that people will be talking about for years.

Joseph
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Last nights was great, but not really nearly as exciting as the other two, just by sheer 'star power' of the others.

redsfan30
08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I've got to go with Ross' just because of what it means in the standings and who it came against.

That was a HUGE win and it wouldn't have happened without Ross' walkoff.

Therefore, he gets my vote.

Johnny Footstool
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Dunn's homer didn't really happen. Everyone knows he can't hit with RISP. :D

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Really, they all had pretty special circumstances surrounding them, more than even just a walk-off homer. Griffey's on his first day back from a month off, Dunn's down by three with two outs, and Ross's against our current biggest rivals at a crucial point of the season.

Junior's was actually the only one that happened while I was following a game. It was a thing of joy, really quite unexpected at that point and a comeback from a very depressing game. They're all great. I had e-mails this morning about David Ross, some from people I don't even know that well. Home runs are a nice thing to make people sit up and take notice...

Falls City Beer
08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Dunn's.

Just felt like each star was in its place, a miraculous confluence of events relying upon the superheroic for summation. It felt like he'd broken through to some unseen vista, some rift in the impermanent that throws light on the all-time greats from time to time.

I hadn't felt so good about the Reds since 1990.

2001MUgrad
08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I want to say last nights just because of the situation.

But, I couldn't have been more excited when Dunn hit his. So I'll let my emotions guage this one. Also, listen to Marty, while he was excited last night, no doubt, but his pitch was twice as high for the Dunn homer.

Jaycint
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm going with the Dunn Grand Salami off the Tribe but I'm a little biased since I was in attendance that night.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I said Dunn....

Things like that aren't supposed to happen....

They all rock though! :D :thumbup:

WebScorpion
08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I can't pick just one. I loved all three.

:thisyear: :rockband: :dancingco :dancingco
:luvu: :clap: :clap: :clap: :luvu:

I'm still on cloud nine from last night anyway. ;)

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Regarding the "other" option...out of curiosity, what are the other walk-off homers this season? I'm pretty sure Valentin had one in late May against the D'backs...what else?

Falls City Beer
08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Regarding the "other" option...out of curiosity, what are the other walk-off homers this season? I'm pretty sure Valentin had one in late May against the D'backs...what else?

Farney's.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Well, there's always Dunn's 3 run walk-off vs the Brewers in extra innings to lead the Reds to a 3-0 victory.

I was there! :D

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, there's always Dunn's 3 run walk-off vs the Brewers in extra innings to lead the Reds to a 3-0 victory.

I was there! :D

Oh, I can't believe I forgot that one...that was one of my favorite games this year.

Which one was Farney's, I mean against whom? I'm blanking.

BTW, I can't concentrate on anything today. I think the tide has really turned for us now...regardless of how the season comes out, from here on in it's going to be all Reds, all the time. I'm going to start to be bothered when real life gets in the way. This is kinda sad. But I'll take it.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh, I can't believe I forgot that one...that was one of my favorite games this year.

BTW, I can't concentrate on anything today. I think the tide has really turned for us now...regardless of how the season comes out, from here on in it's going to be all Reds, all the time. I'm going to start to be bothered when real life gets in the way. This is kinda sad. But I'll take it.

Stupid life always interferes with fun :D

Falls City Beer
08-10-2006, 12:04 PM

What's kind of sad? It's not sad.

Incidentally, Farney had no walk-off this season, it was just getting more mileage out of something that will lose its piquancy soon enough.

I think Dunn's and Javy's were the only other two this season for the Reds.

Big Klu
08-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I have been there for three of them this year--Valentin's PH homer against Arizona, Dunn's 3-run HR in extra innings against the Brewers, and Ross's shot against the Cardinals.

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been there for three of them this year--Valentin's PH homer against Arizona, Dunn's 3-run HR in extra innings against the Brewers, and Ross's shot against the Cardinals.

Go to more games!!

Big Klu
08-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Go to more games!!

I've been to 10 games this season. The Reds are 7-3 overall, and riding a seven-game winning streak when I am in attendance.

6-1 at home (the only loss was Opening Day)
1-2 on the road (0-2 in Pittsburgh, and 1-0 in Cleveland)

Ross's heroic shot preserved my personal streak against the Cardinals--the Reds are now 5-0 all-time against the Cards when I am in attendance.

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I've been to 10 games this season. The Reds are 7-3 overall, and riding a seven-game winning streak when I am in attendance.

6-1 at home (the only loss was Opening Day)
1-2 on the road (0-2 in Pittsburgh, and 1-0 in Cleveland)

Ross's heroic shot preserved my personal streak against the Cardinals--the Reds are now 5-0 all-time against the Cards when I am in attendance.

You have been to ten games and THREE of them have ended in walk-off homers in favor of your team?!

I reiterate my point: go to more games! You are a walking rabbit's foot!

Big Klu
08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
You have been to ten games and THREE of them have ended in walk-off homers in favor of your team?!

I reiterate my point: go to more games! You are a walking rabbit's foot!

I've already bought tickets for four more games:

8/19 vs. Pittsburgh (first game back from the road trip)
8/23 vs. Houston (last home game before I have to go back to work)
9/24 vs. Chicago (last Sunday home game, and next-to-last home game of the season)
10/1 at Pittsburgh (last game of the season)

Of course, I might pick up a few more, if my schedule permits it. :)

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Dunn's grand slam, by far. It was more rare than a perfect game.

vaticanplum
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
9/24 vs. Chicago (last Sunday home game, and next-to-last home game of the season)

I'm going to that game too :beerme:

Mainspark
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Between 1972 and 2004, I attended somewhere in the area of 150 games total at Riverfront/Cinergy and Great American Ball Park, and saw exactly one walk-off home run — Pokey Reese versus the Cardinals in what I believe was the final home series of the 1999 season.
In 2005/2006, I've attended, I believe, seven games, and three have ended with walk-off homers: Ross last night, Randa on Opening Day 2005 and Wily Mo on his bobble-head night later that season against the Braves.

SteelSD
08-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Dunn's grand slam, by far. It was more rare than a perfect game.

With two Outs, it's basically the equivalent of the unassisted Triple Play.

It's so rare, that if you see one in your lifetime from a player on the team you follow, you should feel as if you've been given a gift of epic proportions.

Big Klu
08-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Between 1972 and 2004, I attended somewhere in the area of 150 games total at Riverfront/Cinergy and Great American Ball Park, and saw exactly one walk-off home run Pokey Reese versus the Cardinals in what I believe was the final home series of the 1999 season.
In 2005/2006, I've attended, I believe, seven games, and three have ended with walk-off homers: Ross last night, Randa on Opening Day 2005 and Wily Mo on his bobble-head night later that season against the Braves.

I also was at Opening Day 2005, and saw Joe Randa's HR against the Mets.

I have witnessed five such HRs in person. In addition to the three I have seen this year, and Randa's HR last year, I was also there for Chris Stynes's game-winning HR over the Astros in the last game on AstroTurf in Riverfront Stadium prior to the deconstruction after the 2000 season.

Gainesville Red
08-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I also was at Opening Day 2005, and saw Joe Randa's HR against the Mets.

I have witnessed five such HRs in person. In addition to the three I have seen this year, and Randa's HR last year, I was also there for Chris Stynes's game-winning HR over the Astros in the last game on AstroTurf in Riverfront Stadium prior to the deconstruction after the 2000 season.

They may let you sit in the dugout with that kind of record.