PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Harris is "heating up"

princeton
08-10-2006, 10:05 AM
was Mendoza-like for a couple of weeks, but he's had much better games lately. I expect a backslide, but it bears watching. He was once a top offensive prospect.

L'ville has him strictly as utility. Then again, the Reds announced Phillips as utility upon his acquisition. Hit enough, and plans can change.

captainmorgan07
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
good to hear

Rojo
08-10-2006, 01:41 PM
His OPS fell 138 points in his first full AA season. Yikes! He hit at AAA, except for last year. But his bat's been putrid in 68 big league ab's.

Arguably you find more stuff at AA and the bigs. Of course I'm only looking at the tea leaves, but it looks like he might feast on dead-straight fastballs and sloppy secondary pitches.

princeton
08-10-2006, 03:37 PM
I want 'em to hit on Ross, then Brandon, then Ross, then Brendan.

TOBTTReds
08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I want 'em to hit on Ross, then Brandon, then Ross, then Brendan.

I'm confused.:confused:

Rojo
08-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I think he's talking about the rabbits Wayne's pulled out of his, ah, hat.

Falls City Beer
08-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I think he's talking about the rabbits Wayne's pulled out of his, ah, hat.

A professor of aesthetics once told me a story about narrative and artistic credulity: he said, as an audience, we believe that two mice can be turned into the two horses that draw Cinderella's carriage to the ball; our credulity, however, becomes totally strained if those two mice become four horses.

princeton
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Harris HR's yesterday.

WayneK is rumored to be looking for a guy named Brandan Ross.

puca
08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Hopefully he doesn't find a Gary Clayton

westofyou
08-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Back in December of 2002 the Reds got a guy without a position who had this line in 1400 AAA ab's .267/.356/.402

Never say never.

princeton
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
maybe one of the Nats coaches called Harris a mental midget, and the Reds thought of Farney

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Hopefully he doesn't find a Gary Clayton
Or an Esteban Mays.

westofyou
08-11-2006, 10:41 AM
maybe one of the Nats coaches called Harris a mental midget, and the Reds thought of Farney
Perhaps, his Flaws are a double edge sword.

FLAWS: At times, he can be too intense and he could stand to walk more often.

Taking a walk is a nice trait... "too intense" that will play very well in the Rhineland.

princeton
08-12-2006, 08:44 AM
just one double yesterday :dunno:

jmcclain19
08-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Harris could make a nice partner with Aurilia next year at the 2B spot.

He really hasn't gotten any pub since the trade, and I wonder if he won't turn out to be a nice addition to the 2007 Reds.

With Votto, Hatteberg, Aurilia, EdE, Harris and Phillips, I'm sure that will be more than enough pieces for Narron to play hot bat musical chairs all year with the infield.

D-Man
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Here is what Rany Jazayerli said about Harris in 2003:

"When I got to the Brendan Harris write-up and looked at his numbers carefully, a strange sensation came over me. (Go ahead, Derek--make an Aussie crack; it's good to get it out of your system.) I checked the numbers, and lo and behold...well, look it up yourself:

Brendan Harris, 2002 = Albert Pujols, 2000

There are some differences--notably that Harris was a classification higher than Pujols--but the raw numbers are eerily similar. Harris is the biggest sleeper prospect in the game, and I was compelled to move him into our Top 20."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030131roundtable.shtml

Sickels liked him a lot, too. Here is what he said in his 2005 book (grade B):

". . . He'll need to find a middle ground with his plate discipline, and I think he will. Harris can play third base and second base without killing you, but is probably best at third. He's not a gold glove, but he has a decent arm, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and is fundamentally sound. Harris is basically Joe Randa."

Crash Davis
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Here is what Rany Jazayerli said about Harris in 2003:

"When I got to the Brendan Harris write-up and looked at his numbers carefully, a strange sensation came over me. (Go ahead, Derek--make an Aussie crack; it's good to get it out of your system.) I checked the numbers, and lo and behold...well, look it up yourself:

Brendan Harris, 2002 = Albert Pujols, 2000

There are some differences--notably that Harris was a classification higher than Pujols--but the raw numbers are eerily similar. Harris is the biggest sleeper prospect in the game, and I was compelled to move him into our Top 20."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030131roundtable.shtml

Sickels liked him a lot, too. Here is what he said in his 2005 book (grade B):

". . . He'll need to find a middle ground with his plate discipline, and I think he will. Harris can play third base and second base without killing you, but is probably best at third. He's not a gold glove, but he has a decent arm, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and is fundamentally sound. Harris is basically Joe Randa."

At that rate, he'll be somewhere between Wade Rowden & Gary Scott by 2007.

Doc. Scott
08-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Just hit homer #3 for the Bats and #8 for the season.

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Harris is playing SS today and is 2-for-2 with a solo HR and RBI double. He now has 13 XBH in 87 atbats with Louisville, and his line w/LOU is .287/.337/.506. If Chambliss can improve Harris' plate discipline like he did with Lopez and Phillips then we could be looking at a solid 2B next year. He is supposedly solid with the glove, too.

An infield of Encarnacion, Phillips, Harris, and Hatteberg/Votto next year would be very solid.

princeton
08-14-2006, 08:08 AM
He is supposedly solid with the glove, too.

my take is that he plays a good third and a lousy middle IF. And we don't need a third baseman.

to be a starter at second base, he's going to have to hit a lot, and pair with a very good shortstop.

reds44
08-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Triple-A Louisville's Brendan Harris went 3-for-5 with a homer, a double and four RBI on Sunday.

Harris is batting .289/.337/.500 in 90 at-bats for Louisville since being acquired in the Austin Kearns-Felipe Lopez deal last month. He should be a part of Cincinnati's bench in September, though the at-bats won't be there to give him any fantasy value.

-rotoworld

I like the slugging and batting average, but I wish he would walk more. Like OBM said, hopefully Chambliss can improve his batting eye.

Rojo
08-14-2006, 08:32 PM
my take is that he plays a good third and a lousy middle IF. And we don't need a third baseman.

But a lot of other teams do. If third is where he shines, then make sure he's branded as a third baseman.

princeton
08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
But a lot of other teams do. If third is where he shines, then make sure he's branded as a third baseman.

he's too old to generate a lot of interest. He's ours. Enjoy him. Play him where needed

The_jbh
08-15-2006, 01:48 PM

to be a starter at second base, he's going to have to hit a lot, and pair with a very good shortstop.

insert Brandon Phillips?

I think Harris will be next year's rich aurilla if we dont resign rich (when i have a hunch he'll be back)

Plays 2B 3 to 4 days a week to let freel play of and get his needed rest. Give EE a rest here and there (hopefully not like Rich this year)

I sort of think it wouldnt be a bad idea to bring him up in September just for a little pop off the bench and some experience with the big league club... he is on the 40 man right?

Ravenlord
08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
he is on the 40 man right?yes.

reds44
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
yes.
He'll be up here in September. I assume Olmedo, Denorfia, and maybe even Watson.

Votto is on the 40 man, think he will be up here?

Rojo
08-15-2006, 02:56 PM
he's too old to generate a lot of interest.

Alas.

The_jbh
08-15-2006, 11:20 PM
He'll be up here in September. I assume Olmedo, Denorfia, and maybe even Watson.

Votto is on the 40 man, think he will be up here?

I think it will depend on playoff races. Chattanooga won the first half of the season so they will be in the playoffs.

They probably wont waste an option on 10 to 15 games if they are sucessful

princeton
08-16-2006, 09:06 AM
another HR on Tuesday

paulrichjr
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Option would not be "wasted" if he is brought up in September.