PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo

redsupport
08-10-2006, 03:53 PM
regressing to his 4th or 5th starter status, is a shame because todays game was important

Chainer
08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
He didn't pitch BAD today. He pitched 7 innings....gave up 4 ER and struck out 8.

The offense has to help as well.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2006, 04:01 PM
regressing to his 4th or 5th starter status, is a shame because todays game was important

pitching to the back of his baseball card.

I guess we all got spoiled early on when he was Cy Young.

Newman4
08-10-2006, 04:53 PM
He didn't pitch BAD today. He pitched 7 innings....gave up 4 ER and struck out 8.

The offense has to help as well.

7 IP 4 R on a regular basis would be considered 4th or 5th starter status.

EddieMilner
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Not for this team. Thats number 1 pitching status for the past 5 years.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 04:57 PM

This is also in GABP, may I add. If this was in, let's say, Petco Park or RFK....he would have less than 4 runs.

4 runs in GABP is considered 1st and 2nd starter status.

KalDanielsfan
08-10-2006, 04:57 PM

especially in the national league.

i was saying this in an earlier thread but Arroyo was always the #5 starter or relegated to the bullpen in all his years wiht the Red Sox.

he's not gonna be a consistent #1 or #2 in the national league.

dman
08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
You know, how many times before this game has Arroyo pitched an ace kind of game, only to have an inept bullpen blow it for him? He has been exceptional for us this year. I agree, this was a huge game. Bottom line, you can't win 'em all. I'm quite pleased with the way he has performed this year and today. Just seemed the like the Reds used up all the fuel in their offensive gas tank and ran it dry today to a point where they couldn't overcome even a slight defecit.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM
You know, how many times before this game has Arroyo pitched an ace kind of game, only to have an inept bullpen blow it for him? He has been exceptional for us this year. I agree, this was a huge game. Bottom line, you can't win 'em all. I'm quite pleased with the way he has performed this year and today. Just seemed the like the Reds used up all the fuel in their offensive gas tank and ran it dry today to a point where they couldn't overcome even a slight defecit.

Well said, my fellow RZ'er! Well said indeed! :thumbup:

BRM
08-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Not very many times since mid-June. He's really been laboring for over a month.

TRF
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
pitching to the back of his baseball card.

I guess we all got spoiled early on when he was Cy Young.

You might have been spoiled... I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It dropped 10 starts ago.

Meanwhile, WMP is abusing the ball and lo and behold he's actaully taking walk or two.

CTA513
08-10-2006, 05:46 PM
You might have been spoiled... I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It dropped 10 starts ago.

Meanwhile, WMP is abusing the ball and lo and behold he's actaully taking walk or two.

Pena is hitting .261 since the All-Star break.

osuceltic
08-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Wow. Just ... wow.

BRM
08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Pena is hitting .261 since the All-Star break.

He's also slugging .543 and has a .876 OPS since the break.

Handofdeath
08-10-2006, 06:17 PM

His OPS against lefties is .592 this season. Not good.

CTA513
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM

.610 OPS in August.

BRM
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
His OPS against lefties is .592 this season. Not good.

And it's 1.035 against righties. It's the reverse of what he did in Cincinnati. :dunno:

Always Red
08-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Arroyo is a #2 for the Reds, #3 in the NL and #4 or 5 in the AL.

He has regressed to his mean, which is not bad-much better than we've had in the past, and worth WMP.

TRF
08-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow. Just ... wow.

whatever. WMP is progressing, Arroyo regressing. WMP got hurt, had he not, this comparison gets a lot more interesting.

BTW, Arroyo's last 4 starts: 25 2/3 IP 21 earned runs.

Thats Dave Williams country, and certainly not worth a WMP.

Chainer
08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
whatever. WMP is progressing, Arroyo regressing. WMP got hurt, had he not, this comparison gets a lot more interesting.

BTW, Arroyo's last 4 starts: 25 2/3 IP 21 earned runs.

Thats Dave Williams country, and certainly not worth a WMP.

Progressing from what? He went from tearing it up in the NL to sitting for....Trot Nixon? I hardly consider that 'progressing.'

He'll be a good player, nonetheless.

Arroyo will pick it up. He's been a work-horse in his career during the last part of every year.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Arroyo has given us WAY more than any of us expected initially and we probably did get spoiled a little bit, but I still think he's a good pitcher. It's the back end of the year and a lot of pitchers are starting to get hit harder as they get more and more innings logged on their arms.

So give up on him if you want, I'm not ready to.

TRF
08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
this is his 3rd full season as a starter... 1 good, one bad. and this one is turning sour quick.

joeberk
08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
If Arroyo pitches on the 21st (a game I hope to attend), I'll bring him a bucket of KFC.

Couldn't hurt. Might help.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060810/SPT04/308100048/1071/rss08

“I’m about at the end of my rope with superstitions. I’m either going to bring a live chicken in here or just go and pitch.”

LINEDRIVER
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Arroyo has not won a game since June 19. (That's coming up on 7 weeks)

5.75 ERA since July 4

7.11 ERA over his last 4 starts

I noticed many weeks ago that I was beginning to think Arroyo was making too many personal appearances around town. I was under the impression that he was getting up early to be heard on a morning radio show or appearing at the grand opening of a new Kroger grocery store, etc. Here's hoping that he can honestly say he is getting enough rest and that he's giving his team a fair portion of his attention. I don't expect him to be in bed 30 minutes after every game, nor do I expect him to stay in bed til 1pm. Just something I hope he and /or Narron has thought about in the last month or two. When Reds' pitcher Rick White was getting his butt kicked earlier in the year, Narron told him it would be a real good idea to stop all that driving back and forth to his home everyday in Springfield, Ohio.

jnwohio
08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Arroyo's problem is that he is getting eaten alive by left handed hitters. The Cards' lefties did all the damage today. Other than the lefies they had very little offense at all. In this entire bad streak it has been largely lefties that are doing him in. He needs to come up with something that gives lefties a different look.

Something like a fading fastball or circle change or both. Just suggesting these because they ride or dive away from the lefties instead of in to them.

CTA513
08-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Arroyo's problem is that he is getting eaten alive by left handed hitters. The Cards' lefties did all the damage today. Other than the lefies they had very little offense at all. In this entire bad streak it has been largely lefties that are doing him in. He needs to come up with something that gives lefties a different look.

Something like a fading fastball or circle change or both. Just suggesting these because they ride or dive away from the lefties instead of in to them.

He needs something that breaks away from lefties or he might want to see if he can throw a slider like Harang. A slider that breaks downward really hard and doesnt break slow like the stuff he already throws. It will probably be hard for him to learn a new pitch during the season, but I wouldnt be surprised if he shows up next season with a new pitch to throw. Right now opposing teams just load their line up with as many lefties as they can, because they know lefties hit him hard.

Big Daddy P
08-11-2006, 08:28 AM
We're in deep trouble here with Arroyo pitching like Claussen, boyz. A 5 something era since June 19 says it all. Pathetic collapse on his part.

Oh boy...

CySeymour
08-11-2006, 10:27 AM
How is Arroyo fairing with pitcher abuse points? It really seams to me Narron has stuck him and Harang out there for way to many high pitch count games, but I don't have the stats to back it up.