PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Brantley Has No Idea What He Is Talking About

reds44
08-11-2006, 02:39 AM
He was just on ESPN and he said "the Reds have no chance of catching the Cardinals." That is not why he has no idea what he is talking about?

His reason why you ask?
Because the Reds can't win on the road, and you play 1/2 your games on the road. Now I am pretty sure the Reds actually have a better road record then home record do we not?

What a tool. Get a clue what you are talking about, and know your stuff.

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Does anyone ESPN have any idea what they are talking about? ;)

redsrule2500
08-11-2006, 04:47 AM
ESPN is terrible.

REDREAD
08-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Not defending Brantley, but those guys are forced to condense their reasoning to a sentenence or two. No time to give an in depth analysis (assuming he had one).

Highlifeman21
08-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Not defending Brantley, but those guys are forced to condense their reasoning to a sentenence or two. No time to give an in depth analysis (assuming he had one).

I don't assume the cowboy had any analysis, much less any depth to it. It was a blanket statement in their "cold hard facts" segment. Usually athletes speak favorably of their former teams, but this time was not the case.

Way to go JB, you stay classy in Bristol.

RedsBaron
08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
ESPN is terrible.
Yes it is. I watch it as there is often no good alternative, but its "experts" are generally inept.

RedFanAlways1966
08-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like ESPN needs to get a cute intern in the same room with Brantley and ask him to give her a hug...

:devil:

RedLegSuperStar
08-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Well considering the Reds have played well against the Cards, Stros, and Colorado all who have shots at the Playoffs. Definatly got to have some research Brantley before you speak. The thing that scares me with the Reds is their RS (565) V. RA (597). Reds who have been a top of the Wild Card for what seems like all season and still getting over looked makes me laugh. If they make it, watch them just jump on the band wagon like they've been riding the Reds bus all year.

Roy Tucker
08-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I think with voices of reason like Peter Gammons and Harold Reynolds gone from Baseball Tonight, they are just left with idiots in Brantley, Kruk, etc.

Listening to those guys is like listening to some drunk at the bar watching TV making ill-considered knee-jerk reactionary comments with about a nanoseconds worth of consideration.

However, I still like all the video highlights so I just turn down the sound and semi-watch BBTN while reading.

Mutaman
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I don't get it. Brantley is paid to express his opinion and his opinion is that there is no way the Reds will beat out the Cards. Why does that opinion justify the claim that Brantley "has no idea what he's talking about". Indeed his opinion is pretty much supported by the books- the Reds are presently about 6-1 to win the Central Division, the Cards are 1-5! If you guys have such a strong belief that the Reds can overtake the Cards, heres your chance to make some big money. No takers. i thought so.

NJReds
08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't get it. Brantley is paid to express his opinion and his opinion is that there is no way the Reds will beat out the Cards.

He said that the Reds can't win on the road. The Reds own a 28-25 road record. That's not opinion, that sloppy fact checking.

dougdirt
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Mutaman, I think the fact that he said the Reds are a bad road team is more of what is being questioned. The Reds have a better record on the road than they do at home.

Dom Heffner
08-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Why does that opinion justify the claim that Brantley "has no idea what he's talking about".

I don't think the poster is saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion- I think he's saying the opinion is incorrect.

I agree with Brantley but for different reasons.

I think Krivsky has taken this team past the point of no return in regards to his trading philosophy, which seems to be, "I know these pitchers we are getting look lousy on paper, but are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"

KoryMac5
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't think the poster is saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion- I think he's saying the opinion is incorrect.

I agree with Brantley but for different reasons.

I think Krivsky has taken this team past the point of no return in regards to his trading philosophy, which seems to be, "I know these pitchers we are getting look lousy on paper, but are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"

I think Krivsky has taken this team to a place it hasn't been in the last several years, trying to stay in contention. Hatteberg also looked lousy on paper, Eddie Guardado also looked lousy on paper too, and so did Phillips. Lohse may turn it around he may not. Franklin may give us a reliable long reliever he may not. Krivs isn't trying to fool anyone he is trying to stay in a race.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
AT the risk of becoming very unpopular, I won't slam Brantley. Aside from the fact that he has never done anything that would make me believe that he is an expert on anything, he's just pointing out the following:

Since the 8-game winning streak of May 31 - June 8, the Reds have gone 4-11 on the road, scoring 45 runs and the opposition scoring 51 (3-4 average score). Prior to that the Reds were 24-14 on the road. You would have to assume from this that the Reds are today not a very good road team.

Since the Washington trade, the Reds are 3-3 on the road, scoring 26 runs and allowing 24 (4.3-4 average score).

Mainspark
08-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Be advised that Brantley was extremely close to one James Bowden while with the Reds organization.
I seem to recall reading that Jimbo even ran trade proposals past him on occasion.

Matt700wlw
08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
He was just on ESPN and he said "the Reds have no chance of catching the Cardinals." That is not why he has no idea what he is talking about?

His reason why you ask?
Because the Reds can't win on the road, and you play 1/2 your games on the road. Now I am pretty sure the Reds actually have a better road record then home record do we not?

What a tool. Get a clue what you are talking about, and know your stuff.

He needs to do his homework

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Be advised that Brantley was extremely close to one James Bowden while with the Reds organization.
I seem to recall reading that Jimbo even ran trade proposals past him on occasion.
That explains so much

GAC
08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
ESPN = Extra Stupid ex-Player aNalysis

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 07:21 PM
With the Reds now 1 1/2 games back and heading into a series against St. Louis who the Reds have played well.. well enough to already shore up the season series with the Cards even without playing this one. I wonder what BBTN guys will be saying tonight..

jnwohio
08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
With the Reds now 1 1/2 games back and heading into a series against St. Louis who the Reds have played well.. well enough to already shore up the season series with the Cards even without playing this one. I wonder what BBTN guys will be saying tonight..

When I saw that the Cards lost again today, Sunday, I had a flashback of bad feelings about what happened to the Reds Friday Nite/ Very early Saturday morning. If the Reds had won that game, the Cardinals would have had to win this upcoming series to hold 1st place. As it is now they can lose the series 2-1 and still hold first by 1/2 game. There is still quite a bit of baseball to be played so it is not the margin that rankles me so much as it is that I would have liked to have heard all the pundits explaining how it was that to hold 1st place, the almightly Cards had to win two of 3 against a team that has beaten them 8 of 12 already this season but should not be considered a serious divisional or WC contender..

Let's take care of business against the Cards this week then we can take on the Astro lovers. I believe we have done about as well to date against them as we have the Cards.