PDA

View Full Version : The Sign the Apocolypse is Upon Us (Beating a Dead Horse Edition)

Heath
08-11-2006, 12:54 PM
From Hal's Notes, Friday, August 11, 2006 -

New 'Everyday Eddie'?

Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion might be better suited for the "Everyday Eddie" nickname closer Eddie Guardado carries around.

Encarnacion was in the lineup Thursday for the fifth time in a row and eighth time in the team's last nine games. In his last six games, he's hitting .474 (9-for-19).

"He's been playing real well," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "I'd like to have Richie and Eddie in the lineup at the same time, but I don't think anybody can argue playing Eddie."
(editor's note --> :eek:)

(Insert Mandel's Hallejuah Chorus here)

reds44
08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
:beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
And Reds44's dream came true......

:)

jesusfan
08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
shew... this line-up sure would look nice though...

1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1st
3. Ken Griffey Jr- CF
4. Edwin Encarnacion-3rd
5. Adam Dunn -LF
6. Rich Aurilia- SS
7. Brandon Phillips-2nd
8. David Ross- C

mound_patrol
08-11-2006, 03:15 PM

1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1st
3. Ken Griffey Jr- CF
4. Edwin Encarnacion-3rd
5. Adam Dunn -LF
6. Rich Aurilia- SS
7. Brandon Phillips-2nd
8. David Ross- C

right players but I'd throw this lineup out there everyday.
1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1B
3. Adam Dunn- LF
4. Ken Griffey Jr.- CF
5. Edwin Encarnacion- 3B
6. Rich Aurilia- 2B
7. Brandon Phillips- SS
8. David Ross- C

crazybob60
08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I thought that I would never hear Narron utter those words about Edwin, at least not this season, and yes, thank the Gods that evidently he has realized.

Razor Shines
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I think it's been all along that EE was stuggling with the routine plays, but he's worked hard and other than one throwing error a few games back he's been great. So apperently Narron doesn't have "vet-love" or any stupid saying that people have come up with. He wanted EE to work on his defense (whether you agree with his reasoning or not), EE did work his defense and surprise, surprise Narron is going to play the guy who hits and plays defense.

Matt700wlw
08-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I think it's been all along that EE was stuggling with the routine plays, but he's worked hard and other than one throwing error a few games back he's been great. So apperently Narron doesn't have "vet-love" or any stupid saying that people have come up with. He wanted EE to work on his defense (whether you agree with his reasoning or not), EE did work his defense and surprise, surprise Narron is going to play the guy who hits and plays defense.

That makes to much sense...

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 04:09 PM

Stop with all this reason and logic. You need more irrational emotion and "conspiricy-think" in your thought process....;)

RedsFan75
08-11-2006, 04:18 PM
1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1B
3. Adam Dunn- LF
4. Ken Griffey Jr.- CF
5. Edwin Encarnacion- 3B
6. Rich Aurilia- 2B
7. Brandon Phillips- SS
8. David Ross- C

I'd tinker even more....
1. Ryan Freel- CF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1B
3. Adam Dunn- LF
4. Ken Griffey Jr.- RF
5. Edwin Encarnacion- 3B
6. Rich Aurilia- 2B
7. Brandon Phillips- SS
8. David Ross- C

Rojo
08-11-2006, 04:23 PM

1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1st
3. Ken Griffey Jr- CF
4. Edwin Encarnacion-3rd
5. Adam Dunn -LF
6. Rich Aurilia- SS
7. Brandon Phillips-2nd
8. David Ross- C

I'd flip Griffey and Dunn. Jr. has become the almost archetypical 5th hitter, great slugging percentage, low OBA.

jimbo
08-11-2006, 04:34 PM

This is a great post and well said, and I agree completely. I think EE's defensive issues were handled very well by Narron by giving him those days off to work on his defense while not being under the pressure of being an everyday player. A lot of posters here blasted Narron for how he was handling EE, but I think he deserves a lot of credit.

Instead of pouting about his playing time, all indications are that EE busted his butt to improve his defense during that time and now has demonstrated that he deserves his everyday spot back. As critical of him as I was, I am glad he is back and showing us what he is capable of doing. Good job EE!!!

Scrap Irony
08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Mandel's chorus?

When did Howie have time to compose?

princeton
08-11-2006, 07:02 PM

bingo.

if it was vet-love, we'd still have Womack over Phillips or Larue over Ross.

Narron just wanted EdE to play better. Butt meets bench, bench tells butt to make better plays.

the bench was important before and after 1968-1983

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Players improve their defense in a matter of weeks at the MLB level in non-game situations.

Riiiiiiight.

Vet-love, derrty. Don't kid yourself. Eddie had to beat that door down with his bat.

And he did.

VI_RedsFan
08-11-2006, 07:16 PM
1. Ryan Freel- RF
2. Scott Hatteberg- 1B
3. Adam Dunn- LF
4. Ken Griffey Jr.- CF
5. Edwin Encarnacion- 3B
6. Rich Aurilia- 2B
7. Brandon Phillips- SS
8. David Ross- C

Terrific lineup! :thumbup:

Let's hope Jerry sees it the same way. But, lord that is a horrible defensive combo on the left side. EE and Rich can make up for it with their offense though.

princeton
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Players improve their defense in a matter of weeks at the MLB level in non-game situations.

Riiiiiiight.

Vet-love, derrty. Don't kid yourself. Eddie had to beat that door down with his bat.

And he did.

so you argue that your model has been validated because the opposite of your model has occurred?

in my line of work, we'd call people like you CEO

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
so you argue that your model has been validated because the opposite of your model has occurred?

in my line of work, we'd call people like you CEO

I encourage you to wait for EdE's next slump. BTW, it's not my model, it's Occam's.

princeton
08-11-2006, 07:42 PM
it's not my model

now that is beneath you. Blame no one else. You're the one that is never afraid to be completely and utterly mistaken.

You are my hero, and you are Redszone. :beerme:

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 07:45 PM
now that is beneath you. Blame no one else. You're the one that is never afraid to be completely and utterly mistaken.

You are my hero, and you are Redszone. :beerme:

I like to think of myself as the white whale of Redszone: pursued by the greatest number of sociopaths.

princeton
08-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I like to think of myself as the white whale of Redszone: pursued by the greatest number of sociopaths.

lately WoY is the whale, and you've been that tattooed guy.

But, winds change.

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
lately WoY is the whale, and you've been that tattooed guy.

But, winds change.

Queequeg certainly had all the answers.

I like that. :beerme: