PDA

View Full Version : Animal Lovers???

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Lots of talk around here about animals... so...

KittyDuran
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I've had both - but prefer cats just because of the care factor. All the pets that I've had have been affectionate and pretty well behaved. Longest for having a dog: 15 years. Longest for a cat: 10 years.

Have a cat now - notice avatar. But went 10 years without a pet.

zombie-a-go-go
08-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Cats are the spawn of the devil.

RedFanAlways1966
08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Dog lover here. I have never had a cat, but I like them too. We have a Jack Russell Terrier in our house. He gets to lay on anything and more-or-less do anything that he pleases.

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Cats are the spawn of the devil.

http://www.ravenfamily.org/gecko/images/devil_cat.jpg (http://www.vbulletin.com)

RBA
08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I have two dogs. Had cats before, but prefer the way dogs guard the house.

Highlifeman21
08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Deathly allergic to cats

Miss my dog

That's right, I said it.

Danny Serafini
08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Love dogs, when I was little we had 7 of them. I'm very allergic to cats, they're nothing but furry bags of death as far as I'm concerned.

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Love dogs a little more than cats, but that's because I had them growing up. Right now have a Black Mouth Cur, which is a type of hound dog.

Also have 3 cats. All very loving and not very "cat like".

cumberlandreds
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Cats. Much easier to take care of. You can leave them at home by themselves for a weekend. As long as you leave an extra big litter box, food and water they are just fine. You don't have to take them out for a walk when it's freezing cold,raining or hellish hot either.

beb30
08-11-2006, 02:37 PM
How could you not love dogs:

Reds4Life
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Dogs for me. We had a cat when I was a little kid, not a fan.

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Although cats scare me with their insanity, in general I love all animals except snakes, squirrels, rats, mice who turn up uninvited, and any unidentifiable insect bigger than my hand.

BuckWoody
08-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm a big animal lover but dogs are my favorite...plus my wife is allergic to cats.

We had to put our black lab down in June because of bone cancer. I've never even come remotely close to having to do anything as difficult as that, he was like our son. Still, I think we'll be looking to get another dog this spring and start the process all over again. There's nothing quite like having a good dog around. The love and companionship along with the life they add to a home is immeasurable.

Chainer
08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I gotta say both.

Although, I do like cats better....they don't look you in the eye and crap on your rug at the same moment. Plus, they show emotion, and they let you know when they want attention. Dogs just follow you...EVERYWHERE.

Man's best friend? Since when does a best friend drop a couple turds on your carpet? :laugh:

I love dogs though. :p:

TeamCasey
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I said both. I was never a cat person and we raised labs growing up. (Duck hunting family).

I started volunteering for a local SPCA, then joined the board of directors. At the time I lived in an apartment. They called me down for an "emergency" meeting. Turns out this meeting was about nothing ..... same fund raising stuff we'd already discussed. They had this older cat that wasn't in the cat room, but on the boardroom table. He wandering over to me and curled up in my lap.

The whole entire thing was a set up because they knew I'd love him. So, I left the meeting with "Baker" tucked under my arm. One of the best pets I ever had. Homeliest son of a gun you ever saw. (His name was Baker because he looked like he had tons of mascara on. I could have named him "Old Ugly", and he would've loved me just the same. He looked like (orange hair and all):

http://www.kmov.com/sharedcontent/east/parts/bodyimages/hairlines/20040703_330.jpg

Cats are much more conducive to being a renter.

I don't own a cat right now. TeamBoone's cat Tia adopted me somewhere along the way.

Tia and Baker - best cats ever.

TeamCasey
08-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Any rat lovers in here? I've had three - Sheena, FrankieAnne and Charlotte.

If you get them young enough, they make great pets.

KittyDuran
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Dogs just follow you...EVERYWHERE.Then my cat is half dog... she wants to follow me everywhere including the bathroom!

creek14
08-11-2006, 05:30 PM
We have two dogs, three cats, two birds, and I just saw a couple ants in the bathroom.

Love em all. Except the ants.

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Cats, dogs are too high maintenance, cute as they are :D

BenHayes
08-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Cats. Because they are much more interesting and not nearly as needy. a cat doesn't ask a person to do anything for it and rarely needs a person to do for them. I don't mind dogs though.

RedsBaron
08-12-2006, 08:20 AM
We have a Golden Retriever, who is around age 10 that we have had for about five years, and a cat that we've had since she was a kitten and who is 11+ years old. Both are great pets. No dog in the house though.

dman
08-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I love dogs (Labradors:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: ) We also have a Cocker Spaniel, so obviously I'm partial to field breeds. My daughter has a cat. If it wasn't for me loving my daughter so much, that cat would've taken a dirt nap a long time ago. Really, the cat isn't bothersome, I hardly ever see her. She's always hiding from my 9 month old Lab. In regards to cats, I just don't like an animal that covers their poop with their feet and then will promptly jump onto your kitchen counters.

reds1869
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I prefer cats but love dogs as well. I have a three year old cat now and my first cat recently died at the age of 23. Now THAT is longevity.

Chainer
08-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I love dogs (Labradors:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: ) We also have a Cocker Spaniel, so obviously I'm partial to field breeds. My daughter has a cat. If it wasn't for me loving my daughter so much, that cat would've taken a dirt nap a long time ago. Really, the cat isn't bothersome, I hardly ever see her. She's always hiding from my 9 month old Lab. In regards to cats, I just don't like an animal that covers their poop with their feet and then will promptly jump onto your kitchen counters.

It's not any better than dogs eating the cat's poop then trying to lick your face.

Ravenlord
08-12-2006, 03:33 PM
cats preferably, but i love all animals. though as a rule i generally dislike most breeds of dogs.

my first and only cat i got when i was four, he died last year. right now i have both of my fiancee's cats sitting on my lap. i used to have a couple soft shelled spiny turtles, but i released them back into the wild after the last frost.

i also have a 65-gallon aquarium with an albino oscar and a tiger oscar. both are about 8" long and 5 1/2" tall now. i catch insects and worms and daddy long legs to supplement their diet.

i also have a 29-gallon aquarium with 10 different schools of various tetras and two Chinese algae eaters. i also have a bunch of live plants in there, but they will only eat off of them if i don't feed them for a few days.

GAC
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I love'em grilled. :D

We have no pets. Don't really like them in the house. We've bought two homes where the previous owners had house pets. We had the carpets professionally cleaned and couldn't believe the pet hair they pulled out of the carpets.

And then there's the smell. Pet owners may not notice it (or get use to it), but others do. ;)

KittyDuran
08-13-2006, 10:59 AM

We have no pets. Don't really like them in the house. We've bought two homes where the previous owners had house pets. We had the carpets professionally cleaned and couldn't believe the pet hair they pulled out of the carpets.

And then there's the smell. Pet owners may not notice it (or get use to it), but others do. ;)Awww... you haven't done anything with the cat next door, have you? :(

RBA
08-13-2006, 12:05 PM

And then there's the smell. Pet owners may not notice it (or get use to it), but others do. ;)

I bought a house from smokers. It's taken two years to get the smoke smell out of the house.

Spring~Fields
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
After having registered Shelties and Springer spaniels that have since passed on, in the last year and a half we looked up Petfinders.com and adopted three mixed breeds one shepherd mix from Dayton, one golden mix from London, and a collie mix from Columbus each with their own unique personality traits which are interesting and entertaining to us. Love each of them but, sometimes I think of putting my mug shot on petfinders to see if I can be adopted., as they have their days of being a bit overwhelming as they can be high maintenance when it comes to the yard, vets or trying to go away somewhere without them, they definetly know how to play the heart string card.

GAC
08-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Awww... you haven't done anything with the cat next door, have you? :(

Naw! He's wise to me. ;)

My sister had a stray cat that had kittens out near her garage about 3 weeks ago. They are cute as a button while still kittens, and when my kids go down there they shove them in my face wanting to take one home.

GAC
08-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I bought a house from smokers. It's taken two years to get the smoke smell out of the house.

I'll never get the smoke smell out of my last house. ;)

GAC
08-14-2006, 09:46 AM
After having registered Shelties

I love dogs, but that is one breed I can do without (forgive me).

My aunt in Urbana raises them. Because they are constantly barking, she takes them into the vet and has their vocal cords slit.

I'd have done it for free. ;)

My favorite pet would be a black lab. I would have loved to have had one, but the wife would never allow it in the house.... and I couldn't stand looking out the window on those frigid winter mornings and seeing him caged outside. To me that would be inhumane.

So we have no pets.

TeamCasey
08-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I'll never get the smoke smell out of my last house. ;)

:eek: :laugh:

TeamCasey
08-14-2006, 11:09 AM
My aunt in Urbana raises them. Because they are constantly barking, she takes them into the vet and has their vocal cords slit.

I'll never understand things like this.

It's right up there with ear cropping and tail docking for cosmetic purposes.

dman
08-14-2006, 11:35 AM

TC, I always wondered about the ear clipping, and used to question tail clipping. As I mentioned, we have a Cocker Spaniel. When I questioned the breeder about this, she said it was a result of them originating as a field breed, and it was to kep all of the burs out the the hair on their tails.

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I have NEVER heard of the vocal chord thing. Oh my lord that sounds scary.

I believe that ear clipping is purely cosmetic and is done to conform to show dog standards. Since people are starting to realize that there's no reason to conform to show dogs standards if you're not, you know, showing the dog, ear clipping has fallen off a lot in recent years. Tail clipping is a little different. In the cases of some dogs it is done simply to help keep them cleaner. Dogs' butts can be hard to keep clean, and it's not exactly a pleasant thing to do either.

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
A fairly balanced look at these practices:

Ear cropping, tail docking and dewclaw removal originated as means to prevent injuries. Hundreds of years ago, dog owners removed those parts of puppies' ears and tails that were likely to be snagged or torn while hunting and working. Dewclaws (rudimentary 5th toes on the inside of dog's ankles) were removed for the same reason. Dogs that were bred for fighting had their ears and tails removed to prevent loose appendages from becoming convenient grips for their opponent's teeth.

Today, the practice of altering tails and ears is primarily a matter of continuing a tradition rather than fulfilling a need. Considered cosmetic surgery, these operations are elective and should only be performed after careful consideration.

Ear Cropping:

In early days, ears were cropped very short. The technique was clumsy with no regard to balance or aesthetics. With the development of anesthesia, cropping techniques became more sophisticated and "artistic". When cropping could be done as the puppy "slept", more time and attention could be placed on using the scalpel to develop certain lines and shapes.

Today there is no reason, other than personal choice, to crop ears. Of course, if you plan to show your dog in conformation classes, there are some breeds that are preferred to have cropped ears. Those breeds include Great Danes, Boxers, Dobermans, Schnauzers, Brussels Griffons and Miniature Pinschers.

Dog fanciers that support ear cropping defend it as being beneficial for the dog's ear health. They believe cropped ears have fewer incidences of ear infections because of increased light and air circulation.

If you elect to crop your puppy's ears, it is best to have it done as early as possible -- six weeks of age in the larger breeds and not more than 9 weeks of age for the small breeds. Since the ear cartilage is permanently set by the time a dog is 4 months old, ears cropped after this age may never stand up properly. Be sure that an experienced, qualified veterinarian in a hospital environment does the operation.

The surgery involves reshaping, sculpturing and contouring the outer ear flap in order to achieve an ear that will be erect, balanced and in proportion to the dog's head and body. After the surgery, the amputated ear will be taped into place on a "rack", which is usually a wire rod or Styrofoam cup. Follow-up visits involve stretching the healing ear along its edges and re-taping the rack. The ears are kept in the taped position until the muscles and cartilage of the ears heal enough to stand on their own.

There is a great deal of controversy as to whether or not ear cropping is a humane practice. In Great Britain, dogs with cropped ears are barred from shows. Sentiment against ear cropping and tail docking is very common in Europe. In the United States, the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights has recommended that the AKC and other breed associations delete mention of cropped ears from their breed standards. In any case, the choice is still yours. Just be sure to get all the facts before making your decision.

Tail Docking:

Tails are cropped when puppies are just a few days old. The amount of tail removed is determined by the standard for that particular breed. Although many breeders perform the procedure themselves, it should be done by a qualified veterinarian in a hospital environment.

Breeds that have their tails routinely docked include Airedales, Old English Sheepdogs, Cocker Spaniels, Griffons, Grosser Munsterlanders, Kerry Blue Terriers, Irish Terriers, Poodles, Sealyham Terriers, Welsh Terriers, Weimaraners, Yorkshire Terriers, Boxers and if the tail is considered too long, the German short-haired and wire-haired Pointers.

When you take a puppy to the vet to have the tail docked, the hair on the tail will be removed and the tail will be sterilized. A tourniquet will be applied to stop bleeding. A clamp is then placed at the length of tail desired and a scalpel used to cut off the remaining tail. A few sutures will be taken to prevent bleeding and the tail will be bandaged.

Be sure you and your veterinarian agree on just how much tail is to be removed. Dogs with too much or too little tail can be disqualified from shows. If you do not plan to show your dog, consider leaving both the tail and the ears as Mother Nature intended.

Dewclaw Removal:

Dewclaws are usually present on the inside of the front paws and sometimes on the back paws as well. The practice of removing dewclaws was originally done because working and hunting dogs would catch and injure their dewclaws on underbrush. Although most dogs benefit from having their dewclaws removed, some dogs, especially dogs breed for sheep herding, such as the Briard, have a breed standard that requires that the dewclaws be left intact.

Since dewclaws have the tendency to become torn and even household dogs can get their dewclaws caught in the carpet, their removal is generally accepted and encouraged. If this surgery is elected, it is best done at about three days of age.

If your breeder has not had your puppy's dewclaws removed, be sure to keep the nail trimmed because it does not wear down like the nails that are in contact with the ground. If allowed to grow too long, the dewclaw can penetrate the footpad and caused a painful infection.

http://www.dog.com/information/earcrop.asp

BRM
08-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I prefer dogs, the wife loves both. So we have one of each in the house. We also have three outside kittens that will hopefully survive the winter and become barn cats next spring.

bucksfan
08-14-2006, 03:03 PM
I like 'em both, but dogs would be my favorite if forced to choose. We have a golden retriever and 2 cats now. We plan to get a 2nd dog within a year or so (maybe another golden, possibly collie, we'll see).

Our house, even with the most active, personality-filled 4-yr old human girl around, seemed so empty during the one month we had a household without a dog when we had to have our first golden suddenly put to sleep due to a tumor on her spleen that burst. As BuckWoody said, it was an incredibly sad thing for us to go through. We were lucky to find our current dog in need of a home and he is doing well.

Our cats are both semi-outdoor cats. They sleep in the garage every night, and while we are home can come or go from garage as they please. But they only come into our entry room of the house, and then only for short periods of time or when it is extremely cold. When we "discovered these guys, we already had a housecat and were remodeling/moving into our current house. Adding 2 cats to the inside mix was just not an option at that time. BUt we had to do something with these kittens we found on the property so we took all 4 in to the vet, go them shots and neutered, and found homes for 2 and kept the other 2. They do not bother anyone as our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road and they do not go off of our property.

GAC
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM

Me either, but these dogs are constantly barking and yapping. They never shut up! And she has several of them in her backyard. I can see where it would possibly drive the neighbors to want to slit her throat. ;)

bucksfan
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Me either, but these dogs are constantly barking and yapping. They never shut up! And she has several of them in her backyard. I can see where it would possibly drive the neighbors to want to slit her throat. ;)

Yeah, my wife and I were discussing this practice the other day. I just don't understand why you would get a dog like this if their barking would annoy you so much. But then again if such a practice is understood to be "commonplace and acceptable", then I guess people will go ahead with it. I just cannot consider it acceptable for the reason solely of keeping a noisy dog quiet.

Johnny Footstool
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I think Homer Simpson tried to breed a miracle animal that possessed the cleanliness of a dog and the mild temperment of a cat...

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
I think Homer Simpson tried to breed a miracle animal that possessed the cleanliness of a dog and the mild temperment of a cat...
And they (the Simpsons) ended up with a greyhound!!! And from my experiences with greys, I'd have to say Homer did a nice job.

RANDY IN INDY
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a dog person. Have nearly always had one. Right now we have a 3 year old golden retriever named "Jack." He's the best dog that I have ever owned, and is a wonderful companion for my son, "Matt." He just traveled with us to visit grandma in West Virginia last week. She kept him while we traveled to the Reds games on Wednesday and Thursday. She always threatens that she is going to keep him and spoils him nearly as badly as she spoils Matt.

Spring~Fields
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Because they are constantly barking,

So true, that is how I obtained the one, because he barked too much for his neighbors comfort at the time (neighborhood that your brother now lives in) and they had paid a chunk of change for him from a breeder in Cincy. Reminded me of Lassie so I snatched him up when they offered him to me.

He did a lunge and bark episode while waiting in the car in Lowes parking lot one day as a big burly guy was walking by the car, the guy went to his truck and came back to the car window with a pipe wrench and was threatening to comb his teeth.

MartyFan
08-15-2006, 12:40 AM
I love dogs...my wife and I had a big arguement about a stray cat that was run over the other night...I wanted to bury it in the backyard and she told me to make sure it was dead first.

GAC
08-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah, my wife and I were discussing this practice the other day. I just don't understand why you would get a dog like this if their barking would annoy you so much. But then again if such a practice is understood to be "commonplace and acceptable", then I guess people will go ahead with it. I just cannot consider it acceptable for the reason solely of keeping a noisy dog quiet.

Me neither buskfan. Why own the dog?

You go out and buy a pet, and then basically IMO mutilate them to adapt them to your environment/home situation.... declaw them, cut their vocal chords, clip their ears and tail, and then if that is not demoralizing enough.... castrate them!

You'd think there would be a higher rate of pet suicides in this country! What do they have to live for? :lol:

WebScorpion
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Dogs...and not the inbred ones, the mutts. We've got a German Shepherd/American Bulldog mix named Bella. She's everything you could possibly want in a dog, except hairless. She guards the house while we're away, is protective of the children and they use her for a lounge chair, step stool, pillow, blanket, face washer, garbage disposal, confidante, and wrestling partner. She's extremely well trained. She can heel, sit, lie down, speak, seek, retrieve, and of course, stay and she never, ever, ever pees or poops in the house. I once told her to stay in the front yard, went inside, got distracted and forgot about her...about 6 hours later when the kids went to bed (she sleeps in their rooms) I found her still in the front yard obediently staying. :eek:

Chip R
08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I like these cats. (http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/)

cincinnati chili
08-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Any rat lovers in here? I've had three - Sheena, FrankieAnne and Charlotte.

If you get them young enough, they make great pets.

We don't have any now, but have had many as 6 at one time in recent years.

I grew up with dogs and cats, and was very skeptical about rats. But domesticated rats are generally more affectionate than cats. Despite this, I don't recommend them as pets because of their short life span. There's no use having a pet if you're not going to get attached. And if you ARE going to get attached to something, you don't want it to die in 2-3 years.

My wife wants to get more, and I won't have it.

We have a dog. Great dog (see photo - the one that's not a rat is him). I like dogs more than most people.

westofyou
08-17-2006, 11:42 AM
We have a dog. Great dog

Chili's dog can High Five and play dead, but he plays dead after you shoot him with your finger.

I lived in a house with a pet rat once, it lived on top of giant tin soldier made of trash cans in our kitchen... its house was an empty 12 pack of Henry Weinhardts.

Despite Chili's endorsment I'll pass on Rats, they give me the heebs.

I always wanted a dog when I grew up, never had a house until a few years ago so I never got one, now I wouldn't want one, going through life without one makes you see how much work they are.

I'm a cat guy now.... but I lean towards Maine Coons, they have a different temperment and manner then the average tabby, they are the dogs of the cat world as well.

Heath
08-17-2006, 11:51 AM

http://marsupialmusic.net/stu/img/bigpot6.jpg

:D

Roy Tucker
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
We currently have a dog (yellow lab), 2 cats (rescued from animal shelter), a chinchilla, and a frog (indoors in an aquarium).

In our outdoors pond, we've got 2 goldfish and 2 frogs, one of them with 5 legs. We put the goldfish in the pond but the frogs just appear out of thin air. There is also a toad that hangs around the pond but the frogs reject him.

The cat we had previous to the gay lovers we have now (our 2 neutered males spend all day licking each other and gazing fondly into each others eyes) was more dog than cat. He'd go on long walks with us and chase dogs out of the yard. Every so often, he'd tussle with something waaay bigger than he was (I think raccoons) and come home all torn up. We'd have to get him stitched up at the vet and he'd sleep for about a week straight.

BRM
08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Any horse lovers/owners here?

cincinnati chili
08-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm a cat guy now.... but I lean towards Maine Coons, they have a different temperment and manner then the average tabby, they are the dogs of the cat world as well.

My mom has a Maine coon. He's great. My dog, whom you've met, knows not to get within three feet of him, or the cat will unleash a can o whipass. My dog desperately wants the cat to play with him.

dman
08-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Any horse lovers/owners here?
Love horses, but don't own any, mainly due to zoning restrictions. We have 3 acres at my house. Jackson Twp. zoning (Franklin county) would not grandfather us in when they came up with new codes that required a property owner to have 5 acres or more before any livestock could be kept on premises. I can't afford to board a horse anywhere near the sothwest Franklin or northern Pickaway county area, it's usually upwards of $400 per month.

BRM
08-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Love horses, but don't own any, mainly due to zoning restrictions. We have 3 acres at my house. Jackson Twp. zoning (Franklin county) would not grandfather us in when they came up with new codes that required a property owner to have 5 acres or more before any livestock could be kept on premises. I can't afford to board a horse anywhere near the sothwest Franklin or northern Pickaway county area, it's usually upwards of $400 per month.

$400 per month to board a horse? Does that price include feed/hay? I think full-care boarding here is a little under $200 per month. That is likely to go up this winter as hay out here is going to be very expensive. The droughts in Texas and Oklahoma have driven hay prices through the roof.

We own two horses and are boarding a friends horse right now. My daughter rides every day. She'd rather be riding her horse than doing anything else in the world.

Puffy
08-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Man, if I knew that was an option there were a couple of girlfriends I had that could have used this surgery!

bucksfan
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
We own two horses and are boarding a friends horse right now. My daughter rides every day. She'd rather be riding her horse than doing anything else in the world.

My daughter (age 4 1/2) always says her prayers at night and snuck this little gem in the other night :

".....please look after Mom and Dad and Grandma, and Great Grandpa and that horse that I'm looking forward to getting..." :laugh: :) :laugh:

We have the space, but not the facilities, right now. We'll see when she gets a little older if she is serious and if we are still living on the 5 acres.

RFS62
08-22-2006, 02:00 PM
We've got two cats and a dog.

The cats go on walks with us and the dog all over the neighborhood.

I can't believe a vet would slit a dog's vocal cords just to please an owner. That sounds extremely inhumane to me.

Hey Chili, nice looking dog. I'm hoping it was at least 20 degrees below zero though, or you never would have dressed him up. Does he have any Reds stuff?

:p:

BRM
08-22-2006, 05:04 PM
My daughter (age 4 1/2) always says her prayers at night and snuck this little gem in the other night :

".....please look after Mom and Dad and Grandma, and Great Grandpa and that horse that I'm looking forward to getting..." :laugh: :) :laugh:

That's pretty cool. :)

They certainly aren't cheap either. It's a HUGE commitment when you decide to own a horse.

OldRightHander
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I love both but I probably prefer cats becaues of the maintenance. I haven't had a pet since I got married and I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me get one. She wants to sell this house and upgrade to something better and I said that the next house will come with an animal. We'll see how that works out.

cincinnati chili
08-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey Chili, nice looking dog. I'm hoping it was at least 20 degrees below zero though, or you never would have dressed him up. Does he have any Reds stuff?

:p:

Actually, his name is Manny. So around here, we naturally dress him in Sox garb. He has a lot of similarities to his namesake. Talented, but sometimes surly. Often on his own planet. He plays catch with himself when he thinks nobody is looking. And he would definitely urinate behind the green monster between innings, if given the chance.

And yes, we only put that sweater on him when it's cold. He hates wearing stuff.

dman
08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
$400 per month to board a horse? Does that price include feed/hay? I think full-care boarding here is a little under $200 per month. That is likely to go up this winter as hay out here is going to be very expensive. The droughts in Texas and Oklahoma have driven hay prices through the roof.

That does include the feed/hay for the price (usually). But, for "pasture" boarding a horse, the price isn't all that much cheaper.

RFS62
08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
A guy is driving around and he sees a sign in front of a house:

"Talking Dog For Sale"

He rings the bell, and the owner tells him the dog is in the backyard. The guy goes into the backyard and sees a Labrador Retriever sitting there.

"You talk?" he asks.

"Yep," the lab replies.

"So, what's your story?"

The lab looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA about my gift, and in no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running.”

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger, so I wanted to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security work, mostly wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals. I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired."

The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.

"Ten dollars."

The guy says, "This dog is amazing. Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?"

"Because he's a liar. He didn't do any of that stuff!"

GAC
08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Reinds me of that old Warner Bros. cartoon where the guy goes into the talent agent and claims to have a talking dog. He proceeds to ask the dog questions...

What's over a house?
Wroof!
See, he said "roof"

Who the greatest baseball player to ever play the game?
Wroof!
See, he said "Ruth"

The agent immediately boots them both out of his office, and the dog looks over at the guy and responds "Maybe I should have said DiMaggio?"

BuckWoody
08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
A guy is driving around and he sees a sign in front of a house:

"Talking Dog For Sale"...

..."Because he's a liar. He didn't do any of that stuff!"
:clap:

Chip R
08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Smithers: People like dogs, Mr. Burns.

Burns: Nonsense. Dogs are idiots! Think about it, Smithers. If I came into your house and started sniffing at your crotch and slobbering all over your face, what would you say?

Smithers: ... If you did it, sir?