PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a distant country for love?

TeamCasey
08-11-2006, 03:47 PM
For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends and family again?

Joseph
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Do the Reds count? I'd move to the distant country of Ohio for the Reds, knowing I would only see my family at holidays and such.

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 04:21 PM
TC, are you you having a boring afternoon at work? :p: Might I suggest a nice beverage?

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
And I thought I started a lot of threads!

Would I move...probably not. I am too lazy and self centered to make a change of that magnitude to my life.

Just keeping it real....

Sweetstop
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks for a couple of threads from a woman's perspective and concerning relationships and emotions, TC. Nice change of pace.

Rojo
08-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Only if she was really, really hot.

Falls City Beer
08-11-2006, 04:33 PM
For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends and family again?

I moved to Nashville for my beloved. Does that count for a Yankee?

Sweetstop
08-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool romantic. So, yes, I would go to the ends of the earth for a passionate lover. In theory, anyway.:) It sounds terribly exciting and adventurous.

15fan
08-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Guess it depends on the country.

Iran? Southern Chile? Siberian Russia? Notsomuch.

Some tropical island paradise with scantily clad voluptuous women as far as the eye can see? Youbetcha.

Reds4Life
08-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Doubt it. This is the best country in the world, I have no desire to live anywhere besides the United States.

Red in Chicago
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Doubt it. This is the best country in the world, I have no desire to live anywhere besides the United States.

bingo

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd be more interested in the distant country than the love part.

edit: and I think I just explained a lot of my romantic history right there.

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I moved to Kentucky for love, does that count? :evil:

Gainesville Red
08-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Can you get Extra Innings in this distant country?

Unassisted
08-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I moved to Nashville for my beloved. Does that count for a Yankee? I moved to Knoxville for mine. If we can find someone here who moved to Memphis, we'll have all of the major metro areas in the Volunteer State covered. :thumbup:

To answer the original question, I wouldn't move out of the country now. I might have done it back when I was single and my worldly possessions could fit in a mid-sized car.

Super_Barry11
08-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Can you get Extra Innings in this distant country?

:laugh: Good question. Seeing that I've never truly been in love, I'd have to say no to the original question. I love my family, friends, and country too much.

TeamBoone
08-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Tough one.

I think I'd have to actually be in such a wonderful relationship in order to answer it. Off the top of my head, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

SunDeck
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Does it count if you would like to move to a different country to get away from your family in the first place?

I moved to Kentucky for love, does that count?
The question was a different country, not a different planet . :evil:

TeamCasey
08-11-2006, 09:35 PM
TC, are you you having a boring afternoon at work? :p: Might I suggest a nice beverage?

:laugh: Nah! I was cleaning a bookshelf and came upon a book of questions. Thought it might be fun to throw some out here.

Redsfan08
08-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Does it count if you would like to move to a different country to get away from your family in the first place?

The question was a different country, not a different planet . :evil:
Smartalec :p:

RedsBaron
08-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Only if she was really, really hot.
Thanks for offering proof that we men are not shallow.;)

RedsBaron
08-12-2006, 07:26 AM
I probably would have when I was younger.

GAC
08-13-2006, 05:34 AM
I'd write her daily. ;)

camisadelgolf
08-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Actually, I've been together with my girlfriend for eight months now, and I'll be following her back to Germany in February. I don't have any money, I won't have a job there (and Germany's unemployment rate is very high), and I don't know any German. It should be a pretty easy transition. Wish me luck. :help:

RedsBaron
08-13-2006, 08:03 AM
It really wouldn't be fair to my wife and kids to do that.:D

Yachtzee
08-13-2006, 10:23 AM
I moved to Austria for no other reason than I wanted to see the world. I moved to Chicago for love. So I'd have to say yes.

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 09:52 PM

Honey, I told you that you didn't have to move for me. See you when I get back :)

MartyFan
08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
without a doubt.

08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Yeah, why not? Whether or not this is the best country in the world (I can't honestly say that, because I don't know that-I've never been across the border, except Cacadian Niagare Falls and the Bahamas), but it isn't the only good one.

Jpup
08-15-2006, 08:17 AM

no way. if they loved you, they wouldn't ask you to move.

WebScorpion
08-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Actually, I've been together with my girlfriend for eight months now, and I'll be following her back to Germany in February. I don't have any money, I won't have a job there (and Germany's unemployment rate is very high), and I don't know any German. It should be a pretty easy transition. Wish me luck. :help:

I've got everything you need right here:

Einmal beire bitte.

Just say that everywhere you go and the German people will love you! :beerme:

PS - It means "One more beer, please." ;)

Also, we always found it endlessly funny to say "Funf und funfzig!" which means 55 but always sounded funny when we had a few bieres.

Oh, I almost forgot the question...Hmmm. My mother did it, but I don't think I could. My mother was born in England and moved to Cincinnati to be with my fabulous father in 1958...she's never been back for more than 3 weeks and missed both her parents' funerals. I don't think I could do that. My heart is here in the USA.

REDREAD
08-15-2006, 11:05 PM
no way. if they loved you, they wouldn't ask you to move.

Not necessarily. What if you had a job that could be moved, and they were in the military and just got transfered to another country?

Or in my case, I was laid off twice and had to ask my family to move to another city to find work.

Sometimes these things are beyond people's control.

flyer85
08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
I moved to Kentucky for love, does that count? :evil:it ought to :laugh:

CrackerJack
08-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Absolutely, if she can get me a work permit and a roof over my head initially - I'm there (Canada, Ireland, Germany preferred).

RedFanAlways1966
08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Nope. I love living in the greatest country...

Sweetstop
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
It would appear that, for the most part, people (everywhere) just want a little piece of happiness (home, family, something worthwhile to do, enjoying an occasional good time) in the short time we spend on this earth. I'm sure there are places all over the world this can be accomplished. It seems a shame if one thinks our wonderful country is the only wonderful country.