PDA

View Full Version : Sex

TeamCasey
08-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I knew you peek at this one. Pervs! ;)

Which sex do you think has it easier in our culture (U.S.)? Have you ever wished you were of the opposite sex?

RichRed
08-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Oops, I peeked. Oh well, now that I'm here...

Men, definitely. Except for that whole pesky not living as long as women thing.

And no to question #2.

Sweetstop
08-11-2006, 05:44 PM
White, heterosexual males have it the easiest in our culture.

I've never ever wanted to be a man. Look at the shape they have our world in....

I do love to love them, though.:)

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 05:45 PM

Add "non-mentally or physically challenged" and you're correct!

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 05:49 PM
My first instinct is to say that men have it easier, but that's not really fair. Although they do in a lot of ways, a lot of the areas in which women get the short shift have come to light over the last few decades. They're still way behind in many things, but it's usually societally acceptable to at least raise questions about it. I don't think men are always afforded that. I think it takes a lot more for men to stray from the stereotypes imposed upon them (macho, tough, breadwinning, victims of nagging -- see: Raymond, Everybody Loves) than it does for women.

This is not really true in my group of friends, but I would say it is in America on the whole. I could write pages on this, but I'll spare you all.

And yes, of course I've wished to be a man on occasion. But I've also wanted to be a monkey, a penguin, a river, a tree, a 6'8" baseball pitcher, and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, so take from that what you will. Surely everyone here has wanted to switch one day at some point, if only out of just sheer curiosity...right?

Red in Chicago
08-11-2006, 05:53 PM
men of course...we can stand up and pee:p:

Gainesville Red
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Men have it easy.

I've never had to deal with having a period or any of that stuff.

What a hassle.

Roy Tucker
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Men have it easier. But its getting less easier all the time.

Can't say I've ever wanted to be a woman, but I have wondered what it would be like to be one for maybe a day or a week. I'd be one loose gal!!!

creek14
08-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I work with all men. Big ole ops center and I'm the only one with estrogen.

I wouldn't be one of them for all the nukes in Iran. Really. They whine more than a group of seventh grade girls who didn't get asked to the spring dance.

Sweetstop
08-11-2006, 07:02 PM
My first instinct is to say that men have it easier, but that's not really fair. Although they do in a lot of ways, a lot of the areas in which women get the short shift have come to light over the last few decades. They're still way behind in many things, but it's usually societally acceptable to at least raise questions about it. I don't think men are always afforded that. I think it takes a lot more for men to stray from the stereotypes imposed upon them (macho, tough, breadwinning, victims of nagging -- see: Raymond, Everybody Loves) than it does for women.

This is not really true in my group of friends, but I would say it is in America on the whole. I could write pages on this, but I'll spare you all.

And yes, of course I've wished to be a man on occasion. But I've also wanted to be a monkey, a penguin, a river, a tree, a 6'8" baseball pitcher, and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, so take from that what you will. Surely everyone here has wanted to switch one day at some point, if only out of just sheer curiosity...right?

Boy, do men have you fooled, VP!:) You must be quite young. Please don't feel sorry for them. They have ruled the roost for eons, and it doesn't hurt them to see how the rest of the world lives, poor babies.

westofyou
08-11-2006, 07:09 PM
We have met the enemy and he is us.

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
In general men have it easier. But I would throw out one area where, in my experience, women have had it easier, and that's in the workplace. Or at least at the places I've worked, so this may be the result of my experiences. I certinally don't mean this as a blanket statement that all women have it easier in the workplace.

I've seen women get "reassigned" or have other positions made for them because they couldn't cut it in a job. I've seen men get fired with no effort at all to create a new position for them. I've seen women get carried and "excused" for poor performance when a man would get fired no questions asked (sales) when he couldn't produce. Women can be mega catty around the office and spend lots of time worrying about "he looked at me funny" and "what did he mean when he said blah blah blah blah". Men don't put up with that from other men and it's resulted in poor reviews, pay increases, etc.

Like I said, this has been my experience over the past 12 years of working (post university, I've been working in various jobs since I was 13). So I'm not making a blanket statment that this applies to all women but I've seen it happen more than once where a woman can get away with a little more than a man in the workplace.

Let the vegtable throwing and negging commense!

Sweetstop
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Vegetable throwing? I'm not wasting my heirloom tomatoes.;)

TeamBoone
08-11-2006, 07:39 PM

I've never ever wanted to be a man. Look at the shape they have our world in....

I do love to love them, though.:)

The perfect response... totally agree.

GAC
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM

I'm a white, heterosexual male and I'd like to know when it's gonna start getting easier. ;)

SeeinRed
08-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Boy, do men have you fooled, VP!:) You must be quite young. Please don't feel sorry for them. They have ruled the roost for eons, and it doesn't hurt them to see how the rest of the world lives, poor babies.

Yeah, but thats a lot of pressure on us to have to run everything! ;) Seriously though, White Heterosexual Males like myself have to watch what we do so we don't offend the others. Its almost getting to the point that the groups that want to be equal now have more rights than us. Honestly, I could probably tell you just as many ways that other groups have it easier than us, as you can tell me how I have it easier because I am a White Heterosexual Male.

paintmered
08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Let me tell y'all what its like
Being male, middle class and white
Its a *****, if you dont believe
Listen up to my new cd
Sham on

I got **** running through my brain
So intense that I cant explain
All alone in my white boy pain
Shake your booty while the band complains

Im rocking the suburbs
Just like michael jackson did
Im rocking the suburbs
Except that he was talented
Im rocking the suburbs
I take the checks and face the facts
That some producer with computers
Fixes all my ****** tracks

Im pissed off but I'm too polite
When people break in the mcdonalds line
Mom and dad you made me so uptight
Im gonna cuss on the mic tonight
I dont know how much I can take
Girl give me something I can break

Im rocking the suburbs
Just like quiet riot did
Im rocking the suburbs
Except that they were talented
Im rocking the suburbs
Fixes all my ****** tracks

In a haze these days
I pull up to the stoplight
I can feel that somethings not right
I can feel that someones blasting me
With hate and bass
Sending dirty vibes my way
Cause my great great great great grandad
Made someones great great great great grandaddy slaves
It wasnt my idea
It wasnt my idea
It never was my idea
I just drove to the store
For some preparation H

Yall dont know what its like
Being male, middle class and white
It gets me real pissed off and it makes me wanna say

Just like jon bon jovi did
Im rocking the suburbs
Except that he was talented
Im rocking the suburbs
Fixes all my ****** tracks these days
Im rocking the suburbs
Youd better look out because Im gonna say ****

redsrule2500
08-12-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm going to say Women in today's culture.

GAC
08-12-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm going to say Women in today's culture.

Can't say that in the department I work in. ;)

I work in the foundry division that casts Honda engine blocks. It's extremely hot with 6 melt furnaces averaging 1400 degrees, and very hard, physical work. And while it is a high tech foundry, anyone who has worked in a foundry will acknowledge this fact. It physically kills you!

We have 12 casting machines that produce all the various Honda engine blocks from L4 to V6 that range from 80 to 100 lbs each. We also have 2 casting machines that produce the transmission case pieces (much much lighter).

The work is so hard that they have created what management calls "rest jobs" inwhich they can daily rotate people off the casting machines and melt furnaces, give them a break, and to also try and cut down on the ergonomic injuries which had been rising in our department. It got so bad that upper management demanded something be done. This was their solution which ws a good idea.

Over the last few years we've had more women transfer into our department. And no one has a problem with that as long as you can do the work. I'm an equal opportunity employer.

The problem has been that an overwhelming majority can't do the work. They've tried to put a couple woman on the melt furnaces in the 12 years I've been there, and they went up front and claimed discrimination. One actually used the reasoning "I shouldn't have to do this job because I am a woman." They say it's too hot (well DUH).

On those lighter transmission case jobs - only woman man them. On those "rest jobs" meant to help preserve the bodies of workers and cut down on ergonomic injuries? ..... only women now man them, which means the men are now stuck on the other processes all the time.

We also have quality control positions and various clerical jobs inwhich they use to rotate people off those machines. Where they can, they've put woman in as many of those positions as they can.

And any time anyone has gone to management and asked why this is, they are told to DROP IT and shut up.

signed

evil white male, age 50

SunDeck
08-12-2006, 07:50 AM

Finally, someone who understands! I have always felt like a penguin trapped in a man's body.

http://www.ft.com/cms/8a049ad8-54dd-11d9-9974-00000e2511c8.jpg

RedsBaron
08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
To answer the second question first, no, I have never wanted to be a woman.
Which sex has it easier? As a very general statement I would say men, but that statement has so many qualifications and exceptions to the rule that a more accurate answer would probably be: "some men."

WebScorpion
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Life is not easy. The people who have it easiest are the ones who don't expend a lot of energy worrying about who has it easiest. I have never wanted to be anything other than what I am...male. I like writing my name in the snow. I like not worrying whether the seat is up or down. I like getting ready in 3.6 minutes when I need to. I don't like kissing people with big tongues and hairy faces. I don't like analyzing how things make me feel. I don't like crying, or feeling like crying, for no apparent reason. I don't like shopping. I like to kill things and eat them and I never wonder how they feel. I like beer, especially when coupled with watching sports and/or having sex. and that brings us back to the original subject. Kinda perfect, eh? ;)

flyer85
08-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I'll ask my wife what the answers are and get back to you.

TeamCasey
08-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I like writing my name in the snow.

If there's one thing I'm jealous of, that's it! :laugh:

........ and that whole not having to push another human being out of your sensitive parts. ;)

WebScorpion
08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
If there's one thing I'm jealous of, that's it! :laugh:

........ and that whole not having to push another human being out of your sensitive parts. ;)

Well that's the one part of being a woman that I would like to have...to know the bond that forms carrying another life inside you for 9 months... I think my bond with my children is pretty strong, but it doesn't compare to my wife's connection to them. :)

vaticanplum
08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I have never wanted to be anything other than what I am...male. I like writing my name in the snow...I like getting ready in 3.6 minutes when I need to...I don't like analyzing how things make me feel. I don't like crying, or feeling like crying, for no apparent reason. I don't like shopping. I like to kill things and eat them and I never wonder how they feel. I like beer, especially when coupled with watching sports and/or having sex.

I think a lot of women on this forum would be surprised to learn after reading this that they are actually male ;)

Now, if you want to talk about some that you guys really can do that we can't...like play major league baseball...

Roy Tucker
08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Everything being equal, I think I'd like to be a cat.

They seem to have a pretty cushy life.