PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux as a Pitching Coach

DoogMinAmo
08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
The old addage is "if you can't do, teach." However, he has always been regarded as a smart pitcher over a stuff guy. With the success of his brother, do you see Greg Maddux becoming a pitching coach after this season? The better question is, would you want the Reds to get him, and could they?

With this new ownership, nothing would surprise me...

Joseph
08-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I can't see it happening.

redsfanmia
08-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Why would a guy with as much money as he has want to continue the grind and become a coach?

KronoRed
08-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I can see him as a coach, just not for the Reds

DoogMinAmo
08-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Why would a guy with as much money as he has want to continue the grind and become a coach?

Love of the game? Has he ever mentioned being in favor of coaching or not when he is done pitching?

WVRed
08-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Ask Orel Hershiser.

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a theory that Greg Maddux is going to go home to Vegas and open a bakery when his career is done.

There's nothing whatsoever to back this up, but it's a feeling I've had for a long time. I even wrote a story about it once, complete with illustration.

redsrule2500
08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Not with the Reds. I wouldn't even really want him coaching here.

Jpup
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
he's likely to pitch next season. After that, I could see him replacing Roger McDowell in Atlanta.

jmcclain19
08-13-2006, 01:23 AM
From the horses mouth

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060811&content_id=1604472&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

When I'm finished with baseball ...

I'm going to take a year off and take my wife to places we never had a chance to go to before. Maybe I'll play some golf in Scotland and Ireland. After that, who knows? I may come back into the game, maybe coach for a little bit or just be involved with it in some way.

RedlegJake
08-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Guys come back to the "grind" because they love the game, the comaraderie, the attention and the competition. Maddux is great because he's smart and that makes him a candiudate as a pitching coach. However, there is a big difference between doing and teaching - some guys can make the transition, others can't. Ted Williams may have been the smartest hitter who ever played but he was a pretty mediocre manager and coach. I've always thought that remark "those who can't do, teach" was stupid and glib. Those who can truly teach well are specially gifted. One thing I'd love to see the new regime do this winter is overhaul the coaching staff at each team in the system and get away from the cheapest regardless of qualification system of staffing.

Ravenlord
08-13-2006, 02:59 PM
given that Maddux wants to stay near home, i can't see him being much more than a roving instructor or spring training instructor...maybe a very, very part-time scout for the Vegas area. but i don't think he'll ever get back into in such a way as it'd take up more than half his time.

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Maybe some team will move to Vegas and he can be the pitching coach for them :)