PDA

View Full Version : Walk off Homeruns cause Reds to lose???

redsrule2500
08-11-2006, 11:41 PM
This is kinda strange. It seems after every walkoff win the Reds get in dramatic fashion, they then begin a multiple game losing streak.

May 11 vs. Nationals, Jr. wins it - after that a 5 game losing streak which included being swept by the phillies and losing 2 out of 3 to the Pirates.

June 30 vs. Indians, Dunn wins it - after that a 6 game losing streak which included being swept by the Brewers and losing 2 out of 3 to the indians.

August 09 vs. Cards, Ross wins it - after that so far a 2 game losing streak.

I've noticed this because after such a great win they always seem to find ways to lose the following games, making that great win not nearly as enjoyable.

Tornon
08-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Don't forget the one Valentin hit against the Diamondbacks which was very soon followed by a 10 game winning streak

redsrule2500
08-12-2006, 09:18 AM
That wasn't a homerun.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-12-2006, 01:49 PM
This is kinda strange. It seems after every walkoff win the Reds get in dramatic fashion, they then begin a multiple game losing streak.

May 11 vs. Nationals, Jr. wins it - after that a 5 game losing streak which included being swept by the phillies and losing 2 out of 3 to the Pirates.

June 30 vs. Indians, Dunn wins it - after that a 6 game losing streak which included being swept by the Brewers and losing 2 out of 3 to the indians.

August 09 vs. Cards, Ross wins it - after that so far a 2 game losing streak.

I've noticed this because after such a great win they always seem to find ways to lose the following games, making that great win not nearly as enjoyable.

I have also noticed this depressing reality. The bigger the win, the harder the immediate crash. The 6-game slide after the Dunn walkoff slam was beyond frustrating. It looks like we're in the midst of another one of these delights.
:bang:

Tony Cloninger
08-12-2006, 02:58 PM
For all the veterans this team has....it seems to lack the killer instinct that you need in a pennant race.

I keep expecting Griffey to turn it on...beacuse to me...he is the kind of hitter that thrives under this kind of pressure....... 2nd year in a row that he has been healthy....but not the same results as last year. All the injuries have caught up to him this year.

redsrule2500
08-12-2006, 09:27 PM
For all the veterans this team has....it seems to lack the killer instinct that you need in a pennant race.

I keep expecting Griffey to turn it on...beacuse to me...he is the kind of hitter that thrives under this kind of pressure....... 2nd year in a row that he has been healthy....but not the same results as last year. All the injuries have caught up to him this year.

His age has caught up to him.

traderumor
08-12-2006, 10:56 PM

I keep expecting Griffey to turn it on...beacuse to me...he is the kind of hitter that thrives under this kind of pressure....... 2nd year in a row that he has been healthy....but not the same results as last year. All the injuries have caught up to him this year.Not sure how you put away teams with the pitching staff we have short of scoring 15 runs a game.

oneupper
08-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Believe it or not, I find this quite logical. The wins aren't the cause of the losses, rather a sympton of weakness.

There is the assumption that "good teams" or "hot teams" are those who win a lot of these dramatic games. And while they may be necessary for a pennant run, and they get their share, I don't quite agree.

"Good Teams" put most of their wins away early and easily. No need for the walk-off HR.
"Struggling Teams" engage in these nightly "struggles" and come away with some dramatic wins (and losses).

If there were a dramatic win/total win index, I'm sure the REDS would be around the top...but most of the division leaders might not be.

As exciting as they may be, Walk-off wins may not be the signature of a good ballclub.

DoogMinAmo
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Believe it or not, I find this quite logical. The wins aren't the cause of the losses, rather a sympton of weakness.

There is the assumption that "good teams" or "hot teams" are those who win a lot of these dramatic games. And while they may be necessary for a pennant run, and they get their share, I don't quite agree.

"Good Teams" put most of their wins away early and easily. No need for the walk-off HR.
"Struggling Teams" engage in these nightly "struggles" and come away with some dramatic wins (and losses).

If there were a dramatic win/total win index, I'm sure the REDS would be around the top...but most of the division leaders might not be.

As exciting as they may be, Walk-off wins may not be the signature of a good ballclub.

I believe the Mets lead the league in come-from-behind wins.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Walk-offs are fun! :D

RedFanAlways1966
08-13-2006, 02:24 PM
The REDS have had 10 "last at-bat wins" this year. They are 5-5 in games that follow those last at-bat wins.

* 2005: 15 last at-bat wins... 8-7 in games that followed.
* 2004: 22 last at-bat wins... 14-8 in games that followed.
* 2003: 29 last at-bat wins... 11-18 in games that followed.

redsrule2500
08-14-2006, 01:35 AM
The REDS have had 10 "last at-bat wins" this year. They are 5-5 in games that follow those last at-bat wins.

* 2005: 15 last at-bat wins... 8-7 in games that followed.
* 2004: 22 last at-bat wins... 14-8 in games that followed.
* 2003: 29 last at-bat wins... 11-18 in games that followed.

Where do you find this stuff?!

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Where do you find this stuff?!

Too much time and I keep stats in an Excel spreadsheet! :)

redsrule2500
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Too much time and I keep stats in an Excel spreadsheet! :)

wow :eek: that's crazy

redsrule2500
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Oh, and would also like to point out this thread held true with the latest david ross walkoff for 0 games!

w00t.

Chip R
08-15-2006, 09:43 AM
So what you're saying is that the Reds should not hit any more walk off HRs because they will go on a losing streak? That makes sense cause we all know that home runs are rally killers so it would logically follow that walk off HRs are losing streak starters.

cumberlandreds
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I think all of this proves that walk off home runs are rally killers. ;)

Chip R
08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
I think all of this proves that walk off home runs are rally killers. ;)

That is so true cause every time a walk off HR is hit, the rally ends.

BRM
08-15-2006, 11:38 AM

I saw a stat during the Rockies game last night that was interesting. It was the top 3 teams with the fewest RBI in the 7th inning and later. The Cards and Dodgers were both in the top 3. The announcers speculated it was because those teams normally had leads going into the latter half of games and the bullpen was solid enough to hold. That theory would make sense if you are discussing the number of comebacks a team makes but I'm not sure how it applies to the late inning RBI stat they mentioned.

Johnny Footstool
08-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Exactly right.

ALL teams, good and bad, *tend* to approach .500 in close games.

Good teams sometimes end up with losing records in 1-run games and still go to the playoffs.

The difference is like you said -- good teams win early and easily.