PDA

View Full Version : You Know It's bad When Marc Lancaster Has This Reaction

reds44
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Oh my god

If I could find a bridge somewhere, I might be tempted.

:laugh:

smith288
08-12-2006, 12:27 AM
worst. managing. ever.

flyer85
08-12-2006, 12:29 AM
I really want to hear the explanation. Not letting Howard beat you does not cut it in that situation.

2001MUgrad
08-12-2006, 02:21 AM
I agree Flyer. I don't want Bonds, Sosa, etc. to beat me in their best day, but to walk the winning run to 3rd base with 0 outs. Who has that strategy?? I mean WTF??

KronoRed
08-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Keep Marc away from the riverfront ;)

membengal
08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I agree Flyer. I don't want Bonds, Sosa, etc. to beat me in their best day, but to walk the winning run to 3rd base with 0 outs. Who has that strategy?? I mean WTF??

This cannot be stressed enough. Simply can't.

You have to pitch to Howard there and pray. Because if you get him, with a pitcher up next, you are almost out of the inning. Not one of Narron's finer moments. Yet again.

westofyou
08-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Poor strategy, looking for a perfect play. I have to think that Narron was hoping that a RH matchup would be easier on Ramirez, thus allowing him to maybe go tonight.

As it stands he can go tonight because Narron didn't hit a 2 on 19.

Which was almost completely unlikely, however Ryan Howard is sure scaring some folks this season eh? 23% of his BB are intentional.

Falls City Beer
08-12-2006, 12:05 PM
The strategy is moot, really. Ramirez has been throwing batting practice since the ASB--nothing could have stopped the eventual avalanche that is Ramirez's pitching.

Unassisted
08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
The outcome of this game would have been better if one or more of those 3 Ks from the newest Red had been a hit or walk. I'll bet Krivsky went through a whole pack of Rolaids in the last 6 innings of this game.

BTW, I offer this game as Exhibit A in the case that Ryan Freel is not an everyday player.

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 12:17 PM
While I don't think his decision to avoid Howard was the "worst decision of all time" that others do, I think his execution of that play was lacking. After time to think about it here's what I'm thinking.

EZ just came off getting totally destroyed. His confidence is already shaken. He was so nervous against the Cards he couldn't execute his pitches...how would last night's situation have been any different? He had to be at about zero on the confidence meter. So to put him in a situation where he had to be perfect with zero margin for error, in the 14th inning of a battle of a game is prob asking too much of him.

Now you have to ask Lizzard to start today, after loosing the game last night and getting destroyed the other day. Not a good way to develop a promising young pitcher, IMO.

With EZ I would have taken my chances with Howard and if he gets bombed so be it. I would have rather seen Harrang come out to pitch again. With his poise and confidence on the mound I think the chances of loading the bases with 0 outs improves. Still very, very risky but at least you have a guy who can handle the pressure. He just struck out Pooholes with the bases loaded the other day. With Harrang I would have rolled the dice because I think he can handle it.

Why we got to using starters is a whole different other thread. With a little better bullpen usage I don't think he would have had to go to that extreme. But that is hindsight.

TeamBoone
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Very nice post, Abner.

All those pitching changes in late innings have always irked me. That righty/lefty thing is so overrated. They don't worry about for the first two-thirds of the game; why does it suddently become so important the minute the 7th or 8th inning begins?

I know JN isn't the only one who does it, but, IMHO, he over does it. If a guy's pitching well, leave him in... even let him take an AB if he has to. If the starter is going for a complete game, he hits in late innings. What's the difference if a late inning guy is pitching well?

And I really, really think JN should be more careful about when he double switches. Taking your best hitter(s) out of the game is just not wise, especially when you're behind... and it happens way too often.

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 07:36 PM
I do not second guess Managers a whole lot because I have managed and I know how tough it is. There are usually a ton of things going on that fans do not know about that go into a decision. That being said.... Never and I mean NEVER have I seen what Jerry did last night. I hope I never see it again. Unreal.

Ltlabner
08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
All those pitching changes in late innings have always irked me. That righty/lefty thing is so overrated. They don't worry about for the first two-thirds of the game; why does it suddently become so important the minute the 7th or 8th inning begins?

This is definatley one area where I agree Narron over thinks things and tries to be a bit too clever.

George Foster
08-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I do not second guess Managers a whole lot because I have managed and I know how tough it is. There are usually a ton of things going on that fans do not know about that go into a decision. That being said.... Never and I mean NEVER have I seen what Jerry did last night. I hope I never see it again. Unreal.

I doubt if Narron is well respected, with his peers, concerning stratagy.

westofyou
08-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I doubt if Narron is well respected, with his peers, concerning stratagy.
Yeah I hear Dusty Baker and Grady Little laugh at him all the time....:rolleyes:

Kc61
08-13-2006, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=TeamBoone] All those pitching changes in late innings have always irked me. That righty/lefty thing is so overrated. They don't worry about for the first two-thirds of the game; why does it suddently become so important the minute the 7th or 8th inning begins?

I know JN isn't the only one who does it, but, IMHO, he over does it. If a guy's pitching well, leave him in... even let him take an AB if he has to. If the starter is going for a complete game, he hits in late innings. What's the difference if a late inning guy is pitching well?[QUOTE]

Lefty righty switches in the late innings are important if you have the right guys in the bullpen. Late in the game, if close, you want to have the best matchups and lefty/lefty matchups are particularly tough for most hitters. If you have the right personnel, this is a very effective measure.

Problem is that the Reds lefties aren't particularly effective against lefties. Shackleford is, I hope he comes back to replace EZ. He can help against the Phillies and against Edmonds.

In Narron's case, the personnel is really not suited to these matchups. Also, he seems to be overdoing it. The bullpen is so heavily overused that guys are being DL'd "left and right."

So much of this is traceable to the Nationals trade and Majewski. This pitcher was supposed to be the every day eighth inning setup guy. Majewski 8th, Guardado 9th. If this had worked, the pen would be set up so much better. Cormier was the backup plan and that didn't work either.

But the team needs to get this bullpen straightened out. Figure out a rotation of relievers that will provide enough rest and put people in the proper spots. Not easy with this personnel and all the injuries, but necessary.

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah I hear Dusty Baker and Grady Little laugh at him all the time....:rolleyes:
Then they throw spit balls at him during lunch.

membengal
08-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Then they throw spit balls at him during lunch.

In Dusty's case, he makes Mark Prior and Kerry Wood throw the spitballs. Not until they have thrown 135 spitballs does he tell them to stop...

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Never and I mean NEVER have I seen what Jerry did last night. I hope I never see it again. Unreal.

You put that same situation in place for a game against the Red Sox w/ David Ortiz coming to the plate with a chance to win the game, and I walk him to load the bases 100 times out of 100, regardless of who is on deck.